ADVERTISEMENT

HOFSTRA

pish69

Jan 11, 2016
NJ--The Shore
Looking thru Wrestlestat it looks like Hofstra has no one ranked in top 33 except HWY who is #18.

Guess only storyline this week is who goes at 125?

I also think you’ll see guys sit this out who will be at senior nationals.

I believe BB, SVN and Kerk all said they going.

AB and MM already qualified for trials I believe with their U23 and U20 golds.

Anyone else expected to go to senior nationals? Do AB and MM go for seeding purposes?

I’ve seen a rumor that SVN has an injury. Anyone heard anything? He ran out with the team and looked fine, but it could always be an upper body thing.

• Wow
Reactions: backdrft76
Looking thru Wrestlestat it looks like Hofstra has no one ranked in top 33 except HWY who is #18.

Anyone else expected to go to senior nationals? Do AB and MM go for seeding purposes?
KYPSW is going to be interesting this week. Another "4 points at stake this match"...

AB cannot improve his seed as he will be on top regardless. The only reason he would go is to block out a spot from someone else qualifying or for the competition.

Reactions: pish69
When discussing unplanned replacements in the dual in the after-presser, Cael talked about "being ready to go" in relation to return from Thanksgiving Break and entry into finals week. The insinuation being weight management and or academic needs? Or a classic redirect, perhaps, from an injury? We'll know something sooner or later, lol

I was told he was dinged up, thats all I know. He looked fine dont think it is anything serious.
Thanks for details. I was doing video forensics after I heard the rumor. As noted, he ran out so no leg amputation or lower body what not; he cracked his knuckles so we can clear a finger/wrist injury. Hopefully “ding” was used in the normal way (I.e. minor).

Hey, it may be obsessive but SVN is dynamite to watch. Want him back out there

125 Steen
133 Steen
141 Steen
149 Steen
157 Steen
165 Steen
174 Steen
184 Steen
197 Steen
Hwy Forfeit.

I'm not convinced who should be the guy at 25, so I am getting 9 matches in for Gary. Actually I'm just going with Gary and I'm moving Davis and Howard up to 33 to battle it out with Nagao 😂

When discussing unplanned replacements in the dual in the after-presser, Cael talked about "being ready to go" in relation to return from Thanksgiving Break and entry into finals week. The insinuation being weight management and or academic needs? Or a classic redirect, perhaps, from an injury? We'll know something sooner or later
Uh, we expect more concrete insider info on such things from a highfalutin wrestling journo. Do better nerf.

AB cannot improve his seed as he will be on top regardless. The only reason he would go is to block out a spot from someone else qualifying or for the competition.
He and Taylor both have world medal,where will they be sitting?

He and Taylor both have world medal,where will they be sitting?
I'm assuming you mean the Olympic Trials. DT, by virtue of his Gold Medal at theSenior World Championships will be sitting in the finals. AB, other than helping with his seed, gets no special bracket placement for winning his Gold Medal at U23's.

Last edited:
Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
Just saw headline on BSD article that Howard is out and Brooks is wrestling this weekend.
Do you have a link for that? I didn't see it on BSD. Howard is out for this weekend or OUT out again, which would really suck for him yet again?

Do you have a link for that? I didn't see it on BSD. Howard is out for this weekend or OUT out again, which would really suck for him yet again?
I don't think it was BSD. I caught that article yesterday--thought it was the Collegian or Onward State, but I can't find it now.

But I was there when that information was shared by Cael--you could hear it for yourself on this BSD article, if I had turned my mic on . . . But if memory serves, Cael was asked if AB would be competing against Hofstra instead of going to Senior Nats, and Cael said "most likely." And when he was asked bout Howard getting the start Sunday, he said "probably not." Something like that.

I don't think it was BSD. I caught that article yesterday--thought it was the Collegian or Onward State, but I can't find it now.

But I was there when that information was shared by Cael--you can hear it for yourself on this BSD article. But if memory serves, Cael was asked if AB would be competing against Hofstra instead of going to Senior Nats, and Cael said "most likely." And when he was asked bout Howard getting the start Sunday, he said "probably not." Something like that.
Ok, thanks. That doesn't sound like Robbie is hurt again, just not up for this match.

Reactions: nerfstate
Dam. North Carolina already had 7 matches. Being 7-0. Wish the Lions wrestled that much.
Some guys (Caleb Henson) have 17 matches already in season😳. We only have 11 duals left so a bunch of our guys won’t get an RPI (I believe you needed 15 matches for RPI rating)

Reactions: PSU James
Some guys (Caleb Henson) have 17 matches already in season😳. We only have 11 duals left so a bunch of our guys won’t get an RPI (I believe you needed 15 matches for RPI rating)
Why has this happened over the years? Is it to keep the wrestlers healthy with a light schedule, or is it a funding thing (maybe travel budgets are smaller)? I hate it.

Why has this happened over the years? Is it to keep the wrestlers healthy with a light schedule, or is it a funding thing (maybe travel budgets are smaller)? I hate it.
My guess..it’s your first assumption. It’s been reported over the years, the PSU coaches study weekly and daily charts from year to year (practice schedules, competition schedules) and fine tune what worked, what didn’t work, etc. I think their main focus is peaking in March and can’t argue those results.

As a fan..I’d like to see more but how can you argue with 10 of 12?

Only detriment to the low match count is if you don’t get RPI it will hurt your seeding. Last year, AB was 3 seed because of this (not that it mattered what seed he was) but for most guys, the difference in seed could be huge

Reactions: Lyons212
My guess..it’s your first assumption. It’s been reported over the years, the PSU coaches study weekly and daily charts from year to year (practice schedules, competition schedules) and fine tune what worked, what didn’t work, etc. I think their main focus is peaking in March and can’t argue those results.

As a fan..I’d like to see more but how can you argue with 10 of 12?

Only detriment to the low match count is if you don’t get RPI it will hurt your seeding. Last year, AB was 3 seed because of this (not that it mattered what seed he was) but for most guys, the difference in seed could be huge
When you have the best room in the country, no need to seek out competition. Coaches can have them compete in the room and can control the situations reducing injury risk.

They can also have PSU room tournament requiring multi day weigh ins too.

Reactions: mcpat
It's definitely the injury thing. How many times have we seen this team fresh as a daisy and peaking in March when other teams' guys are fading. Like you (and everyone else), I want to see more, More, MORE in terms of Penn State wrestling, but in Cael I trust.

Reactions: Rocky_Smith
It's definitely the injury thing. How many times have we seen this team fresh as a daisy and peaking in March when other teams' guys are fading. Like you (and everyone else), I want to see more, More, MORE in terms of Penn State wrestling, but in Cael I trust.
Plus, many of our guys compete (or plan to) in Freestyle long after college. For us, gone are the days where guys will sacrifice life and limb to reach their NCAA goals only. Less wrestling in-season, but longer careers. I'll take the trade-off, but I like Freestyle almost as much as I like Folk.

Plus, many of our guys compete (or plan to) in Freestyle long after college. For us, gone are the days where guys will sacrifice life and limb to reach their NCAA goals only. Less wrestling in-season, but longer careers. I'll take the trade-off, but I like Freestyle almost as much as I like Folk.
I prefer watching folkstyle, but your point is on target. The real pinnacle of the sport is the Olympics, not the NCAAs, and Cael is attracting exactly those people who aspire to that level, so it wouldn't be a surprise if he's catering the team's schedule to their long term goals.

I would love to see Penn State schedule matches with all of the PA schools with D1 programs every year in the early season (i.e. Clarion, Bloomsburg, Lock Haven, Penn, etc.), but only commit a handful of starters (maybe as low 2 or 3) for each match. That would be a way to keep a light schedule for the key guys on the team but also let the other PA schools get a shot at Penn State and a way for us to get a look at the other guys who aren't going to be out there when the B1G schedule starts (including both the room guys and the RS freshman who can use some of their 5 dates in these matches). That seems like a great compromise for everyone, just as an idea.

I prefer watching folkstyle, but your point is on target. The real pinnacle of the sport is the Olympics, not the NCAAs, and Cael is attracting exactly those people who aspire to that level, so it wouldn't be a surprise if he's catering the team's schedule to their long term goals.

I would love to see Penn State schedule matches with all of the PA schools with D1 programs every year in the early season (i.e. Clarion, Bloomsburg, Lock Haven, Penn, etc.), but only commit a handful of starters (maybe as low 2 or 3) for each match. That would be a way to keep a light schedule for the key guys on the team but also let the other PA schools get a shot at Penn State and a way for us to get a look at the other guys who aren't going to be out there when the B1G schedule starts (including both the room guys and the RS freshman who can use some of their 5 dates in these matches). That seems like a great compromise for everyone, just as an idea.
Sounds like a great idea, in theory! I'm sure it gets complicated in practice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT