ADVERTISEMENT

The Cael Secret

Psubiomed

Jul 25, 2021
I really think this weekend revealed the secret of how and why Penn State wrestling is the greatest dynasty in sports history. I think that secret was revealed, not in the four champions, but in the 6 wrestlers who did NOT win. It's about the approach and how every single wrestler on that roster has the EXACT same frame of mind and philosophy, and about how they all, to a man, live that philosophy day in and day out.

Notice how Mitch and Beau handled absolutely heartbreaking finals losses in which they both should have won, one losing on a counter, the other by a referee failing to make a call, combined with falling to far behind a great opponent who had 5 years experience advantage on him. Notice their x posts today. Notice Tyler Kasak, shattered dreams on a total fluke loss, who instead made history winning 7 straight matches. Notice Davis, Nagao and Truax, all there to support their teammates Saturday night. Truax, who took 5th place on one leg from a cheap dirty move by a cheaper program, but never whispering a complaint.

They aren't like the other wrestlers. They don't live and die with it. They have fun. They never, I mean NEVER freeze. They don't fold from the lights. Yet, they have different personalities. Unlike Iowa, they are allowed to be themselves. Aaron is unlike Carter, Mitchell is slightly eccentric, Tyler is heartfelt, Braedyn is stoic, Kerk is deeply faith conscious, before them....our guys in the past also various types 😂.

By teaching that it's not about winning, the irony of course, is that, winning is all we do.

Cael had a bible session with the guys before finals… and was riding the bike with Carter in the morning.

Also helps to have Bonnie and Dr. Dan in your corner. It’s as much a mental game as any because it’s so individual and his guys are so in the spotlight at every meet and every tournament. They know it and take time with the fans especially the kids. They are rock stars.

Beau and MM will be so much better next year after tasting defeat like Levi and Kerk tasted a year ago.

What PSU wrestling does better than anybody else is physical and mental recovery. They realize you cannot go hard all the time, the body and mind wear out. For the most part, they avoid huge weight cuts, that wears you down physically and mentally. They are not afraid to lose, that is why they do not freeze up on the big stage.

You hear the Iowa guys saying they are afraid to lose. When you are afraid to lose, you wrestle/play not to lose instead of looking to win.

Incredible coaching doesn't hurt either. There studs have incredible fundamentals. For example, there are a lot of PSU wrestlers with concrete hips, something so simple, but often not done.

I really think this weekend revealed the secret of how and why Penn State wrestling is the greatest dynasty in sports history. I think that secret was revealed, not in the four champions, but in the 6 wrestlers who did NOT win. It's about the approach and how every single wrestler on that roster has the EXACT same frame of mind and philosophy, and about how they all, to a man, live that philosophy day in and day out.

Notice how Mitch and Beau handled absolutely heartbreaking finals losses in which they both should have won, one losing on a counter, the other by a referee failing to make a call, combined with falling to far behind a great opponent who had 5 years experience advantage on him. Notice their x posts today. Notice Tyler Kasak, shattered dreams on a total fluke loss, who instead made history winning 7 straight matches. Notice Davis, Nagao and Truax, all there to support their teammates Saturday night. Truax, who took 5th place on one leg from a cheap dirty move by a cheaper program, but never whispering a complaint.

They aren't like the other wrestlers. They don't live and die with it. They have fun. They never, I mean NEVER freeze. They don't fold from the lights. Yet, they have different personalities. Unlike Iowa, they are allowed to be themselves. Aaron is unlike Carter, Mitchell is slightly eccentric, Tyler is heartfelt, Braedyn is stoic, Kerk is deeply faith conscious, before them....our guys in the past also various types 😂.

By teaching that it's not about winning, the irony of course, is that, winning is all we do.
Sometimes even Guns gets it right.

Cael had a bible session with the guys before finals… and was riding the bike with Carter in the morning.

Also helps to have Bonnie and Dr. Dan in your corner. It’s as much a mental game as any because it’s so individual and his guys are so in the spotlight at every meet and every tournament. They know it and take time with the fans especially the kids. They are rock stars.

Beau and MM will be so much better next year after tasting defeat like Levi and Kerk tasted a year ago.

All those things + this. Lots of this.

81sHQpBac8L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Mam

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT