ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Edinboro dual - Sun. Feb. 25 at 2 pm

McScoreley

Feb 24, 2019
I wouldn't be opposed to a heavy room guy lineup against Edinboro. Know it's senior day and health for the postseason is the key.

125 - Davis (needs reps and confidence)
133 - Let Nagao recover (he'll have to steal a B1G spot anyways), let Shunk get a Senior Day match
141 - Beau, could be his last match in Rec
149 - Kasak, needs 149 matches as well
157 - Barraclough (no sources if he's portaling but imagine he's getting introduced as a senior)
165 - Joe Lee (let Mitch recover from getting dinged up against Nebby)
174 - Carter is better and wants his "last match at Rec"
184 - Bernie senior day
197 - AB, for sure his last match
285 - Kerk (we don't have a backup heavy honestly anyways)

I wouldn't be opposed to a heavy room guy lineup against Edinboro. Know it's senior day and health for the postseason is the key.

133 - Let Nagao recover (he'll have to steal a B1G spot anyways), let Shunk get a Senior Day match
157 - Barraclough (no sources if he's portaling but imagine he's getting introduced as a senior)
184 - Bernie senior day
No backup heavy you say, Lucas Cochran just put down his beer and stood up!!!

If Nagao has the same shit that Carter had we are in trouble at 33.
It sounds like everyone got some variation of it at this point. It took Carter a month (from missing Michigan to Nebraska) to look 100% again. Cael referenced the team battling it by the Rutgers dual, which was on 2/12. Nagao also missed Maryland. Honestly, they should be in good shape by Big Tens (about a month later) and 100% by NCAAs.

184 - Bernie senior day
What was the date Byers said Terrell weighed in at 160.2?

It sounds like everyone got some variation of it at this point. It took Carter a month (from missing Michigan to Nebraska) to look 100% again. Cael referenced the team battling it by the Rutgers dual, which was on 2/12. Nagao also missed Maryland. Honestly, they should be in good shape by Big Tens (about a month later) and 100% by NCAAs.
The coaches even managed to "schedule" the illness so that it wouldn't affect Big Tens or NCAAs. Man, they're good!

Would love to see some of our room guys get a nod, like @McScoreley said. I'll add in Donovan Ball, because his senior night last year got blown up by Feldkamp. Though it'd be hard to bump also-senior Bernie out of the way.

Reactions: hlstone

Oddly enough, a related topic, the BEG guys seems to cast significant doubt on both Beau & Kerk returning next year. I thought Kerk was pretty much a shoe in for returning granted WWE might be sniffing around and money talks.

Of course Marisola will represent at best an unknown and at worst a very significant drop off at heavy, plus I suspect a full year in the room will really help him.

I hope the smaller Marisola gets a redshirt, and we go with Cochran next year at 197. I think his amazing performances this year are deserving of that reward, even if Marisola is better right out of the gate.

Longer term I think heavy is a gap that needs to be filled, maybe the Portal will offer an opportunity but if through recruiting, a blue chip recruit is another couple of years out or more.

Not to diminish Marisola's potential but we really don't know what we have there relative to full sized NCAA AA level guys. Could we have another Cassar on our hands? Maybe, more likely not IMO.

Cael also mentioned yesterday something about Carter "finally figuring out how to fix it." No idea what that could mean, but maybe that knowledge is transferable....

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
I'm always happy that nasty bugs hit in early February so that we are relatively healthy and immune by March.

184 - Bernie senior day
Nagao has to wrestle otherwise he won’t qualify a spot for conference

A win puts his winning % at 71%. Currently at 69%. Need over 70% to get winning % qualifier

Oddly enough, a related topic, the BEG guys seems to cast significant doubt on both Beau & Kerk returning next year. I thought Kerk was pretty much a shoe in for returning granted WWE might be sniffing around and money talks.

Of course Marisola will represent at best an unknown and at worst a very significant drop off at heavy, plus I suspect a full year in the room will really help him.

I hope the smaller Marisola gets a redshirt, and we go with Cochran next year at 197. I think his amazing performances this year are deserving of that reward, even if Marisola is better right out of the gate.

Longer term I think heavy is a gap that needs to be filled, maybe the Portal will offer an opportunity but if through recruiting, a blue chip recruit is another couple of years out or more.

Not to diminish Marisola's potential but we really don't know what we have there relative to full sized NCAA AA level guys. Could we have another Cassar on our hands? Maybe, more likely not IMO.
I assure you the BEG guys have zero inside info there

On a related note, it’s insane how far Edinboro has fallen so quickly. Probably a bottom 5 D1 program these days.

Honestly, surprised the university as a whole hasn’t shut down yet with how little funding it has.

If Mirasola wants to shirt then fine, but I really don't see this team wanting to redshirt the better guy ever again under Cael.

Reactions: Zukovski
On a related note, it’s insane how far Edinboro has fallen so quickly. Probably a bottom 5 D1 program these days.

Honestly, surprised the university as a whole hasn’t shut down yet with how little funding it has.
Here is their starting lineup

125 Caleb Edwards 6-20
133 Eamonn Jimenez 3-10
141 Jacob Brennaman 12-16
149 Colin Roberts 4-17
157 Gannon Jaquay 1-8
165 Max Kirby 10-15
174 Joey Arnold 5-17
184 Brody Evans 10-16
197 Jack Kinler 19-12
285 Nick Lodato 8-18

If Penn St rolled out all their starters this could legitimately be a 60-0 dual.

Here are your odds (although no book would have this one one the boards):

125: Davis (-14.5) vs. Edwards
133: Nagao (-14.5) vs. Jimenez
141: Bartlett (-14.5) vs. Brennaman
149: Kasak (-14.5) vs. Roberts
157: Haines (-14.5) vs. Jacquay
165: Messenbrink (-14.5) vs. Kirby
174: Starocci (-14.5) vs. Arnold
184: Truax (-12.5) vs. Evans
197: Brooks (-14.5) vs. Kilner
285: Kerkvliet (-14.5) vs. Lodato/Roe

I'll take PSU in every match if they all happen. :)

They've really struggled with the budget cuts (as would anyone), and Tim Flynn leaving for WVU hasn't helped matters. No blame on Flynn whatsoever for moving on of course, but having no money and losing a really good coach is an uphill battle for any D1 program.

They've really struggled with the budget cuts (as would anyone), and Tim Flynn leaving for WVU hasn't helped matters. No blame on Flynn whatsoever for moving on of course, but having no money and losing a really good coach is an uphill battle for any D1 program.
Flynn left the same year Baumgartner moved from athletics to university admin.

Edinboro (the school) has been in a death spiral for a long time. In a big financial hole, so they accept everybody with a pulse (90+% acceptance rate for more than a decade). That degrades their reputation, so they have to offer financial aid to admit students. And not a strong pull for faculty. Rinse and repeat.

It really makes you appreciate the job Flynn did there

Although Marisola only lost to Ringer 4-3 and beat Max Dean this summer.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Here are your odds (although no book would have this one one the boards):

125: Davis (-14.5) vs. Edwards
133: Nagao (-14.5) vs. Jimenez
141: Bartlett (-14.5) vs. Brennaman
149: Kasak (-14.5) vs. Roberts
157: Haines (-14.5) vs. Jacquay
165: Messenbrink (-14.5) vs. Kirby
174: Starocci (-14.5) vs. Arnold
184: Truax (-12.5) vs. Evans
197: Brooks (-14.5) vs. Kilner
285: Kerkvliet (-14.5) vs. Lodato/Roe

I'll take PSU in every match if they all happen. :)
What are the odds that Arnold ducks Starocci again? 🦆🍊

Nagao has to wrestle otherwise he won’t qualify a spot for conference

A win puts his winning % at 71%. Currently at 69%. Need over 70% to get winning % qualifier
Can't we put together an inter squad tournament like Iowa and mizzu have done in the past 😂😂😂

Reactions: therod and pish69

the kid is top 5 he will need a yr to be ready

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan

Given the absolute garbage colleges and universities spend spend small country GDP's on and with their teeth firmly locked on explicit and implicit federal, state and local grants and subsidies (My favorite is the moneys given by the PLCB to state schools to curb underage and binge drinking) there's no reason to cut the budget.

Oh wait, wrestling imbues attributes like hard work, accountability, perseverance, performance and resilience- I get it.

Flynn left the same year Baumgartner moved from athletics to university admin.

Edinboro (the school) has been in a death spiral for a long time. In a big financial hole, so they accept everybody with a pulse (90+% acceptance rate for more than a decade). That degrades their reputation, so they have to offer financial aid to admit students. And not a strong pull for faculty. Rinse and repeat.

It really makes you appreciate the job Flynn did there
Being out here in San Diego I hadn't even heard of Pennsylvania Western University (PennWest) before, and also didn't realize Clarion and Edinboro were both part of the University. And I just now saved myself from looking any more uninformed by thinking their California campus was, say, in the state of California! Outside of Pittsburgh? First Wyoming Seminary and now this! Who woulda' thunk it? This is what happens when you are retired and have the time to research whatever mundane question enters your mind : ) As far as acceptance rates, I found this:

"Pennsylvania Western University has an acceptance rate of 94%. Half the applicants admitted to Penn West who submitted test scores have an SAT score between 940 and 1160 or an ACT score of 18 and 25."

Reactions: Creek Side
Being out here in San Diego I hadn't even heard of Pennsylvania Western University (PennWest) before, and also didn't realize Clarion and Edinboro were both part of the University. And I just now saved myself from looking any more uninformed by thinking their California campus was, say, in the state of California! Outside of Pittsburgh? First Wyoming Seminary and now this! Who woulda' thunk it? This is what happens when you are retired and have the time to research whatever mundane question enters your mind : ) As far as acceptance rates, I found this:

"Pennsylvania Western University has an acceptance rate of 94%. Half the applicants admitted to Penn West who submitted test scores have an SAT score between 940 and 1160 or an ACT score of 18 and 25."
The Penn West came in bc the state schools were in danger of closing. Slippery Rock was offered to also be in Penn West but the declined and said they can maintain themselves.

Reactions: Psalm 1 guy
I doubt Cael sends out 10 starters, but even with backups this one should be a whitewash, what to do? It's bad for#2-10 in KYPSW to have a shot at winning if we see 4+ subs. Well it's been a fantastic dual season like no other so far, albeit far too short, two thumbs up.

Reactions: Str8DBLz and mcpat
It was a very tough dual schedule overall, don't let the teams domination take away from that. A bug has been going around the team as they went against Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa and Nebraska with a ton of travel. Can see why the coaches didn't schedule any events besides Journeyman and Black Knight (for wrestleoffs) in the fall. This stretch was always going to take a huge toll.

Cael also mentioned yesterday something about Carter "finally figuring out how to fix it." No idea what that could mean, but maybe that knowledge is transferable....

Nerf, can you share your insight on how these pressers work? I'm wondering why, for example, the interviews for MM and AB were so short this time. I think AB's was like 90 seconds long. Who determines which wrestlers will be interviewed and how long you'll have to talk to them?

And do y'all ever get told in advance that certain topics are off limits? I assume not, but it surprised me that no one asked MM about his reaction to Taylor's big mat return during the Nebbie dual when he seemed to get up with pain to his rib area. Fingers crossed that he's not dinged up too badly from that.

Nerf, can you share your insight on how these pressers work? I'm wondering why, for example, the interviews for MM and AB were so short this time. I think AB's was like 90 seconds long. Who determines which wrestlers will be interviewed and how long you'll have to talk to them?

And do y'all ever get told in advance that certain topics are off limits? I assume not, but it surprised me that no one asked MM about his reaction to Taylor's big mat return during the Nebbie dual when he seemed to get up with pain to his rib area. Fingers crossed that he's not dinged up too badly from that.
Apart from grabbing his ribs a bit at first once or twice, he wrestled like a banshee for the rest of the match with no grimacing - then ran off slapping hands and such.

This concern ranks up there with Kerk’s hammy last year

Apart from grabbing his ribs a bit at first once or twice, he wrestled like a banshee for the rest of the match with no grimacing - then ran off slapping hands and such.

This concern ranks up there with Kerk’s hammy last year
Regardless, I wouldn’t be surprised if he rests this weekend. Barraclough could wrestle 65, especially if he’s honored for senior night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT