ADVERTISEMENT

Hofstra Match Thread

I don't think anybody was making fun of them, most wrestling fans understand that hardly anybody knows about the sport. I recently got into an argument with a guy who told me that wrestling is a submission sport. He kept talking about "tapping out" and when I told him the object was to pin or outscore your opponent he treated me like I was a no-nothing moron.
I was making fun of them...

you could be right about their experience level.

They gave their names, and they have profiles on LinkedIn. The woman’s specialty is ice hockey and the guy announces for 14 different sports. I guess at the end of the day, they are somebody’s kids and they were doing their best.

Sorry, I'm not part of the generation that grew up with participation trophies and feminizing soy phytoestrogens.

I expect people to know what the hell they are talking about especially when I'm paying for it.

Of course this is really the fault of the managers who didn't offer them some rudimentary familiarization.

At least I didn't pay for this piece of automotive imbecility.

Everybody is somebody's kid. Ghengis Khan was somebody's kid.

As for having a Linked In Profile.

I have one too. Like many others, it has wishful thinking. Not retired.

Just to prove it, check recent activity.

Last edited:
Im not worried about anything else but getting enough matches for our guys who NEED IT to get the best seeds. Right now I did the math and we don't have enough matches unless we enter some tournaments

Reactions: Fatmarc
Sorry, I'm not part of the generation that grew up with participation trophies and feminizing soy phytoestrogens.

I expect people to know what the hell they are talking about especially when I'm paying for it.

Of course this is really the fault of the managers who didn't offer them some rudimentary familiarization.

I have one too. Like many others, it's has wishful thinking. Not retired.

I see some one already has their eye on the 2024 POTY title...

I actually feel bad for this kid star is destroying.

Me too.

409201583_10159705921655812_6253832093774128755_n.jpg

I was only a few feet from Papadatos, who was giving the refs a hard time for calling stalls on his guy:

"We could've forfeited but we sent someone out. What is he supposed to do against this guy, he's the best in the country!"

Im not worried about anything else but getting enough matches for our guys who NEED IT to get the best seeds. Right now I did the math and we don't have enough matches unless we enter some tournaments
What other tournaments are out there yet to happen?

Reactions: Psubiomed
What other tournaments are out there yet to happen?
Here's a list of remaining tourneys:

The ones that make the most sense are Wilkes Open (12/22) and the Scuffle (1/1-2).

Midlands (12/29-30) would also make sense ... if they would allow PSU wrestlers to enter.

Once we get into spring semester, the available tourneys generally conflict with our duals.

Two things are always true with these goofballs:

1. None of them understand that mat returns aren't takedowns. This always confuses them.
2. Somebody explains riding time to them in a way that they understand so they constantly talk about it
First of all, I'm laughing hysterically at all these posts.

I'm sooooo glad everyone got to experience these "announcers". They sit almost directly behind me at the matches. It's super comical to overhear them during quiet moments of the match. Its also super freaking annoying to be able to hear them while I'm trying to watch. Certainly provides some comic relief.

Btw, kudos to them for trying. However, if you're going to try to call a sport, I would think you would want to at least learn some basics. That way you don't completely embarrass yourself. They don't disappoint.

The infamous Illegal Fist to the Back match was nearly 12 years ago (Feb 2012).

BTN and the individual schools (in this case, PSU College of Communications) are at fault -- 12 years is more than enough time to figure out how to better train the students, if BTN and the schools even think that's important.

Which is a real shame for the students, because this cannot possibly help them with future employers.
Why does Domino’s care?

Reactions: danoftw
Here's a list of remaining tourneys:

The ones that make the most sense are Wilkes Open (12/22) and the Scuffle (1/1-2).

Midlands (12/29-30) would also make sense ... if they would allow PSU wrestlers to enter.

Once we get into spring semester, the available tourneys generally conflict with our duals.
Thanks. That with the 10 duals left should give everyone the 15 needed for RPI assuming Kasak redshirts and Evans goes the rest of the way.

Thanks. That with the 10 duals left should give everyone the 15 needed for RPI assuming Kasak redshirts and Evans goes the rest of the way.
Correct me if I am mistaken, but you need 15 matches at the postseason weight for RPI. Evans hasn’t wrestled a match at 149. And I think @CSauertiegPSU said it first: he’s not the biggest 141 to begin with, having started his career here at 133. I’ll be surprised if it’s not Kasak at 149, unless the Gomez rumor actually has merit.

Reactions: pish69
Correct me if I am mistaken, but you need 15 matches at the postseason weight for RPI. Evans hasn’t wrestled a match at 149. And I think @CSauertiegPSU said it first: he’s not the biggest 141 to begin with, having started his career here at 133. I’ll be surprised if it’s not Kasak at 149, unless the Gomez rumor actually has merit.
You are correct. All of Evans matches have been at 141. My bad. He wrestled one match at 157 last year but the rest at 141.

Reactions: mcpat

I have one too. Like many others, it has wishful thinking. Not retired.

Sir, this is a Wendy's

Keep in mind. RPI is important for seeding at NCAAs NOT conference tourney. To allocate a spot for conference tourney you need at least 2 of 3 (winning%, coaches rank (where I believe you only need 8 matches and one within last 30 days) and RPI.

So for example, AB could have 0 matches going into Conference tourney and win a spot. He would be seeded bad at nationals because he doesn’t have anything. Let’s say AB goes 8-0 going into conference tourney. He would allocate a spot for BIG 10. After he wins Bigs, he would go to national tourney with top spot in coaches rank, undefeated record, but let’s say he only gets 3 matches at conference tourney (he would have 11 matches going into NCAA). He would be 11-0, #1 in coaches rank but wouldn’t get top seed without an RPI (like last year).

So the key is to try to have as many guys allocate spots for conference tourney (need 8 matches with I believe a 70% win% and end up with at least 15 after conference tourney.

I believe there are 10 duals left. Whoever goes at 149 going to need some matches (Kasak has 1 at the weight). If guys sit out for sickness, dinged up, whatever, they cutting it close.

***I am not sure if 15 is still the RPi number but that’s what it’s been in the past

Roar is the expert with this stuff but haven’t seen him recently. If I am wrong, I’m sure someone will correct me

Reactions: yekrut321
Gotta think Carter is pissed he didn’t join the Pinfall party. He was trying like Hell but that kid just turtled up.
What surprised me was the effort in the first period. He looked like Cater was drilling on a mat dummy. Not an ounce of defense. Nothing. Not even a little. I realize he may have felt overmatched but dude….you are wearing a collegiate singlet….try! Fail, but try. You might pull a Todrank.

Last edited:
Keep in mind. RPI is important for seeding at NCAAs NOT conference tourney. To allocate a spot for conference tourney you need at least 2 of 3 (winning%, coaches rank (where I believe you only need 8 matches and one within last 30 days) and RPI.

So for example, AB could have 0 matches going into Conference tourney and win a spot. He would be seeded bad at nationals because he doesn’t have anything. Let’s say AB goes 8-0 going into conference tourney. He would allocate a spot for BIG 10. After he wins Bigs, he would go to national tourney with top spot in coaches rank, undefeated record, but let’s say he only gets 3 matches at conference tourney (he would have 11 matches going into NCAA). He would be 11-0, #1 in coaches rank but wouldn’t get top seed without an RPI (like last year).

So the key is to try to have as many guys allocate spots for conference tourney (need 8 matches with I believe a 70% win% and end up with at least 15 after conference tourney.

I believe there are 10 duals left. Whoever goes at 149 going to need some matches (Kasak has 1 at the weight). If guys sit out for sickness, dinged up, whatever, they cutting it close.

***I am not sure if 15 is still the RPi number but that’s what it’s been in the past

Roar is the expert with this stuff but haven’t seen him recently. If I am wrong, I’m sure someone will correct me
As of today..below is how many official matches each guy has (doesn’t count all-star classic or matches against teammates)

Davis 7 matches
Nagao 6 matches
Bartlett 7 matches
Kasak 1 match at 149
Levi 5 matches
MM 8 matches
Star 4 matches
Truax 5 matches
AB 4 matches
Kerk 4 matches

I believe if you a top 2 seed at conference tourney and win out the max matches you would get is 3. So for guys like AB, Star and Kerk. They can only afford to miss 2 of last 10 duals or they won’t get RPI (obviously this can change if coaches throw them in a tourney somewhere but doubtful for these 3). Truthfully for these 3, seed don’t matter but it would matter for everyone else

Last edited:
RIGHT NOW Someone from this thread should email Cael and the wrestling department about the match count qualifications for the tournament. They probably have no idea about it and your info very well could save our postseason. Someone get on it...
🤪
No need for the hyper sensitivity. Nobody here is questioning Cael in any way. It's a simple question about total matches and nothing more. Sheesh...

Reactions: JOESTROSSER
RIGHT NOW Someone from this thread should email Cael and the wrestling department about the match count qualifications for the tournament. They probably have no idea about it and your info very well could save our postseason. Someone get on it...
🤪
Done. Emailed Cael, cc'ed Casey, Cody and Jimmy. Reminded them to Go for the Gusto!

As of today..below is how many official matches each guy has (doesn’t count all-star classic or matches against teammates)

Davis 7 matches
Nagao 6 matches
Bartlett 7 matches
Kasak 1 match at 149
Levi 5 matches
MM 8 matches
Star 4 matches
Truax 5 matches
AB 4 matches
Kerk 4 matches

I believe if you a top 2 seed at conference tourney and win out the max matches you would get is 3. So for guys like AB, Star and Kerk. They can only afford to miss 2 of last 10 duals or they won’t get RPI (obviously this can change if coaches throw them in a tourney somewhere but doubtful for these 3). Truthfully for these 3, seed don’t matter but it would matter for everyone else
Matches against teammates don't count toward RPI?

These are the only exceptions I found: Must have 15-Division I Matches at the designated weight class on the NCAA Division I Starters page to have a calculated RPI. Forfeits and medical forfeits are excluded from the 15-match count. Injury defaults do count towards the 15-match minimum.

Last edited:
Actually maybe 50 years. When my son went to states he found my old head gear and said "Dad I want to honor you by wearing your headgear to states....besides that's the only way they'd get there."
Way back when I was in college, there was an interesting type of headgear that was popular. They were soft and covered with a terry cloth material. I thought they were quite comfortable and maybe better than the headgear used today.

This is one year where RPI, doesn't concern me much excepting 149, which of course is where it may prove most important. The rest of our guys are a bad draw for everyone. It will be fun to watch. My only real concern is injury, and even there we still have insurance points to spare. I just want to see what this team can do at nationals if they remain intact.

This is one year where RPI, doesn't concern me much excepting 149, which of course is where it may prove most important. The rest of our guys are a bad draw for everyone. It will be fun to watch. My only real concern is injury, and even there we still have insurance points to spare. I just want to see what this team can do at nationals if they remain intact.
From a team perspective, it doesn't matter, we're running away with it.

From an individual perspective:
- 125 and 149 both matter.

- 133: a top 4 seed gets Nagao a semi against Arujau, Crookham, or Fix. A 6-seed or below possibly gets one of them in the quarters and another in the semis.

The hitch here is that Fix might not get RPI if he misses many more matches -- he's only 1-0 on the year so far.

- 165: Same as 133 -- would like to not face O'Toole or Carr in the quarters.

Everyone else, doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: zzs006 and danoftw
Anyone know why Pierce went instead of Kasak? Still thinking of shirting Kasak? What other reason could there be? Have to think they didn’t need to see that match to rule out Pierce as the starter. So if they are still thinking about shirting Kasak, it’s Evans or (dare I say) Gomez.
I see that Kasak is registered for senior nationals. Makes more sense now.

As we’re playing with our new lineup, we’ll try to get some of those guys some more matches. There are a few tournaments over the holidays; we just have to be creative and make sure our guys get the matches they need and the numbers they need for whoever ends up going at 49.”

I fully understand why people say, "it doesn't matter at 174, 197 and HWT", but I'd still prefer for those guys to get the #1 at NCAAs for any number of reasons. It would be nice if they could all get an RPI, although I'm not sure we're going to see it with Brooks and Kerk, not sure about Starocci. On the other hand, since Nevills left, it doesn't seem that we have a true HWT backup either, so it makes more sense for Kerk to go in all of the duals than it might for Brooks.

As we’re playing with our new lineup, we’ll try to get some of those guys some more matches. There are a few tournaments over the holidays; we just have to be creative and make sure our guys get the matches they need and the numbers they need for whoever ends up going at 49.”
Great job @okinburg1 ! Your email got results quick!

I’m not sure. I assume they don’t. I remember Dresser ran his last chance open and had his guys wrestling each other to get match counts up. I recall that practice being banned. I assume if the match isn’t official, RPI would go along with it..

I’m not sure. I assume they don’t. I remember Dresser ran his last chance open and had his guys wrestling each other to get match counts up. I recall that practice being banned. I assume if the match isn’t official, RPI would go along with it..
So if they happen to meet up randomly at some open tournament, those don’t count either?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT