ADVERTISEMENT

Zahid Valencia

Wow, if true that's remarkable. Obviously opens up a very real possibility for whoever would have been wrestling in the finals against him. Calling Mr. Brooks, Mr. Brooks, proceed to the podium.....Part of me hopes it's not true because I don't like to think poorly of wrestlers, particularly those at Zahid's level, but if true, 184 is anybody's oyster.

By the way, the report that I saw suggested that the failed test occurred on January 18th and IF TRUE, you have to wonder what ASU was waiting for. If true....

Reactions: dsites52
Zeke Jones would certainly have known. I am certain it took time to test and confirm B sample......most likely including another test facility chosen by Valencia. Sad news

In other news...….Phone Call for Spencer Lee...… some guy named Hodge.

Reactions: Creek Side
Wow, if true that's remarkable. Obviously opens up a very real possibility for whoever would have been wrestling in the finals against him. Calling Mr. Brooks, Mr. Brooks, proceed to the podium.....Part of me hopes it's not true because I don't like to think poorly of wrestlers, particularly those at Zahid's level, but if true, 184 is anybody's oyster.

The AZ article says it was recreational drugs and not PEDs... I'd expect he'll be back for NCAAs.

Edit: Nevermind, saw Saylor's tweet.

Last edited:
Oftentimes, the initial test is considered "non-negative" if anything at all is found. Then the sample "B" (confirmatory) test result is received, and a positive or negative finding is established. January 18 to today is much, much longer than confirmatory tests normally take by even the slowest of certified labs.

There is more to this story, I'm sure.

He’s from a state where it’s legal for someone of his age to smoke pot. It would be crazy if that’s the thing that kept him from being a three timer

I was not sure if AZ was one of the 1/3 of the country with legal marijuana or not. That’s why this seems crazy if it’s weed. It would be like suspending a 21 year old for drinking beer.

If this is something harder than weed then maybe he’s out for good. If it’s weed he will be back.

EDIT - it’s not legal in AZ. Only medical.

Shockingly, I was never an elite level athlete, but I don't can't comprehend when they piss away years and years of sweat equity like that.

I was not sure if AZ was one of the 1/3 of the country with legal marijuana or not. That’s why this seems crazy if it’s weed. It would be like suspending a 21 year old for drinking beer.

If this is something harder than weed then maybe he’s out for good. If it’s weed he will be back.

I meant Cali

EDIT: I just quickly checked WADA's prohibited substance list and don't see marijuana on there.

Last edited:
While I think it's insane we test any athlete for using marijuana, it's also pretty f-ing stupid if you're an athlete on that level and get caught for it. I assume he knows he'll be tested. If you're getting a scholarship and your entire brand and professional aspirations are tied to a sport that tests for weed, maybe lay off the weed, at least in season!

Reactions: MICH.Nit Fan
What's that saying, your hardest battle isn't on the mat, it's realizing wrestling isn't just a sport, it's a lifestyle.

Odd the university would use test results that were administered overseas for an international competition as the basis for a suspension. If the claim about recreational drugs is true, I’d be totally against Zahid being suspended for nationals.

Reactions: fronk71
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT