ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking event 4 in Budapest

zzs006

Mar 27, 2017
Tournament started today with 6 or 7 of the men’s freestyle weights. The most interesting results are at 92kg where there weren’t a ton of competitors so they did a round robin of sorts. Zahid lost to Azapira from Iran but in a later round Azapira was supposed to face one of the Finesilver’s who represent Israel and he was forced to forfeit. Zahid beat Finesilver for gold afterwards.

Nick Lee won silver losing to Tumur-Ochir 10-0 in the finals. Tumur-Ochir beat Musukaev in the quarterfinals and then Musukaev lost again in repechage. Lee beat a tough Dudaev in the semis.

Zane Richards won bronze with Kyle Snyder and Mason Parris both winning gold. At 74kg Julian Ramirez and at 86kg Max Hale both DNP.

Tomorrow Vito, McKenna, and Chance all compete. First round tomorrow Vito gets Abakarov who beat Gilman for the world title last year at 57kg. Should be a great test right out of the gate

Last edited:
I just watched the Vito vs Abakarov match and Vito wrestled well but he’s going to have to learn how to play the international game a bit. Abakarov didn’t commit to a single attack but his butt was to center the entire match while Vito’s was in the zone. I know us Americans like to see guys attacking and think it determines passivity but it doesn’t in freestyle. I think it is going to be really helpful for Vito though that he had this kind of match against someone as good as Abakarov. Vito got to his legs only once but he has to convert when he does. I feel good about him medaling at worlds but it’s going to be tough

Chance had 2 good wins beating Sari and Kentchadze but Nokhodi beat him badly. 10-0 in the first period. Chance is really hard to score on if you attack him straight on which is why he matches up well with JB. Burroughs uses a ton of fakes and feints but almost always attacks straight on especially with his double. Chance is short and then sits so low in his stance he is able to catch most of those shots and stop them dead or bring them back up to neutral. Nokhodi did a great job creating angles and attacking only half of Chances body. He got a td on a simple pass-by/slide-by and almost had a second. He scored 2 other tds on sweep singles while also controlling the head. Chance didn’t come close to stopping any of the 3 tds he gave up. Also got turned with a gut fairly easily. With Nokhodi winning this tournament and Savadkouhi losing to Kentchadze I think that Nokhodi will be Iran’s rep at worlds and will be one of the favorites to win gold. Chance also lost to Nokhodi 10-0 last year in a very similar match. He gave up multiple tds off a pass-by and almost gave up a couple more. Hopefully if they meet up at worlds the US coaches can come up with a good game plan

Burroughs beat Nokhodi for World gold a few years ago. Man Nokhodi looks good now. Iran has a killer team after a few down years (for them).
He does look really good. I read that this tournament would decide who Iran’s rep at 79kg would be so it looks like it’s his. I would think he’s the favorite for gold as of now. Iran has a great team with a few true stars. Amouzad, Ghasempour, Yazdani, Zare, and Nokhodi are all good enough to win gold with many of them already doing so. Baby Yaz lost to McKenna today but when he is on he is very good as well. 92kg and 97kg are interesting because of Ghasempour. He’s the best 92kg in the world but for the Olympics he has to go down and challenge Yazdani or go up to 97kg. At 97 they have Mohammadian and maybe Azapira. I would expect him to go up but there have been rumblings about him going down and challenging Yazdani. Doesn’t seem smart to me but maybe he wins those matchups in the room. Plus, Snyder handled him up at 97 so maybe he doesn’t like his chances against Snyder and Sadulaev

Iran is loaded for sure. They will be tough to beat. USA are still the favorites but have their hands full.

Was there a final verdict for Russia at worlds and/or olympics? If they’re full force you’d have to call them the favorites still, and with something to prove.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT