ADVERTISEMENT

WTT this weekend

Nashon takes out Fix 12-4!! What a tournament for him

Zahid techs Kollin Moore. Thought it would be much closer

Adeline Gray techs Dymond Guilford. Looks like she is back in form. Her vs Blades should be incredible

Zahid looked great, but there was clearly something up with Moore physically. Didn't move right at all

So Final X is
  • Iowa* vs Illinois
  • Cornell vs Cornell
  • PSU vs Cornell
  • PSU vs Nebraska
  • PSU vs Cornell*
  • PSU vs PSU
  • ASU vs NC State
  • Ohio State* vs Missouri
  • Minnesota vs Michigan
*PSU 🤣

I think if I was elite, there are only 2 schools to really consider.

Reactions: Sullivan and mcpat
The thing about the fleeing call in ADS's match is that he wheelbarrow walks his hands straight out and away from the surface. If he turns at all to stay in-bounds, he probably doesn't get the caution.

This has nothing to do with Iowa being involved. I love a good fleeing call.

Reactions: Grass
With the 1st TD for Garrett, Austin got a caution for fleeing the mat. I don’t think the camera angle was good enough to say whether that was the right or wrong call. But the caution meant they go to par terre, which they did with 2:35 on the clock, and with the score 3-0 in favor of Garrett.

They blew the whistle and Austin immediately grabbed Garrett’s leg with it gripped for the sole purpose of preventing Garrett from scoring, That’s called negative wrestling and he was properly warned for it.

Next Austin did the same thing with Garrett’s arm and again got a warning for negative wrestling.

The first scored gut wrench finished with 2:20 on the clock, just 15 secs after they went in par terre and after two warnings for negative wrestling on Austin.

Austin then grabbed Garret’s arm again and again got called for negative wrestling. At that point, the ref called a caution on Austin as he had already given Austin two warnings. That was with 2:12 to go. The caution meant a restart in par terre.

On the restart, Garrett immediately went to another gut wrench, which he used to score in just 10 secs. He then got another turn that he finished just 15 secs later and the match ended.

Iowa fans claiming the ref called the match wrong are nuts. Sometimes your guy just loses.

And sometimes he can't stop it with an injury call.

Agreed. Austin’s problem that match is he couldn’t defend the gut and kept just grabbing a leg or arm from bottom in par terre which you can’t do. Austin wasn’t a great bottom wrestler in folkstyle at first and improved greatly. Hopefully the same will happen in freestyle. I do like watching him wrestle.
Yes. Plus at an absolute minimum, he's good enough (and works hard enough) to push the rest of USA 61 kg. Either way we'll be better for having him in the mix.

With the 1st TD for Garrett, Austin got a caution for fleeing the mat. I don’t think the camera angle was good enough to say whether that was the right or wrong call. But the caution meant they go to par terre, which they did with 2:35 on the clock, and with the score 3-0 in favor of Garrett.

They blew the whistle and Austin immediately grabbed Garrett’s leg with it gripped for the sole purpose of preventing Garrett from scoring, That’s called negative wrestling and he was properly warned for it.

Next Austin did the same thing with Garrett’s arm and again got a warning for negative wrestling.

The first scored gut wrench finished with 2:20 on the clock, just 15 secs after they went in par terre and after two warnings for negative wrestling on Austin.

Austin then grabbed Garret’s arm again and again got called for negative wrestling. At that point, the ref called a caution on Austin as he had already given Austin two warnings. That was with 2:12 to go. The caution meant a restart in par terre.

On the restart, Garrett immediately went to another gut wrench, which he used to score in just 10 secs. He then got another turn that he finished just 15 secs later and the match ended.

Iowa fans claiming the ref called the match wrong are nuts. Sometimes your guy just loses.
Almost all of this is right, except the bolded. When the second caution was called, it was Garrett holding the wrist, not Desanto. He captured it mid gut and kept it to set up another turn. Ref kept telling him to open, but it was Garrett keeping the wrist trapped. I think he was frustrated with Desanto and got confused. That was the only bad call of the match.

Garrett was clearly the superior guy last weekend though. Super impressive and fun to watch.

So Final X is
  • Iowa* vs Illinois
  • Cornell vs Cornell
  • PSU vs Cornell
  • PSU vs Nebraska
  • PSU vs Cornell*
  • PSU vs PSU
  • ASU vs NC State
  • Ohio State* vs Missouri
  • Minnesota vs Michigan
*PSU 🤣

I think if I was elite, there are only 2 schools to really consider.
And Iowa ain’t one of them… is clearly PSU and Cornell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT