ADVERTISEMENT

With the TOP RB in NCAA and a Very Escapable QB

I'm convinced that you can't run the RPO exclusively. And Trace isn't the fastest QB. The D doesn't have to worry all that much about him running.

Reactions: PSUBluebird
The thing that really bothers me is it sure seems like on the few plays where we just have a straightforward run with no RPO we have much better results. It's just quicker and more decisive.

100% accurate.

I don't think our o line is great. But it's not nearly as bad as it the results have been.

Franklin needs to sit Moorhead down and force him to implement much more true running plays and drop the constant RPO or find a new job

We have no offensive tackles. No blocking. We all knew coming in we were thin on the OL and DL. Unfortunate we stuffed injuries at both areas

Reactions: Nitt1300
It's also the line. Look the truth is we were all crowing a few weeks ago about finally being through the sanctions. Guess what? We aren't. The guys we have on the line are guys that we got then. And they play hard but just don't have the elite talent needed week in and week out. Add to that, the Big Ten is and always has been a physical grind. We're still a little short in experienced backup talent. The future still is bright. We are ahead of where anyone could have expected us to be.

I just hope the kids can pick it up. This is where you discover what kind of character you really have--and we'll see who's checked out and who hasn't.

100% accurate.

I don't think our o line is great. But it's not nearly as bad as it the results have been.

Franklin needs to sit Moorhead down and force him to implement much more true running plays and drop the constant RPO or find a new job
Yeah I am growing a bit tired of Moorhead's unwavering commitment to the RPO myself. Perhaps with a stellar offensive line it would work great. But we don't have a great line, certainly not without bates. At the same time, I disagree with the posters who put it all on the line play. There's no way it's any worse than 2015 and Barkley was much more effective running the ball that year.

Defenses are on to it now. It did work really well before, but now they are defending properly. All it looks like now or super slow developing run plays. Need to adapt
How in the world has Chase Edmonds run for over 4000 yds at Fordham, 1800 one season? Is it because of the level of competition? Maybe they’ve had OLs that know how to run block in this system. Please don’t tell me it’s only been two years under Moorhead.

Bryce Love plays for Penn State?
You are out of your pay grade. The PAC plays NO DEFENSE. I watch PAC football and B1G. Stanford's offense is perfect for Love. Ours is quite detrimental to Barkley. Put 26 behind Stanford's line and run game philosophy in a league that plays defense barely better than the B12 and he'd hit 2,000 yards easily.

Yeah I am growing a bit tired of Moorhead's unwavering commitment to the RPO myself. Perhaps with a stellar offensive line it would work great. But we don't have a great line, certainly not without bates. At the same time, I disagree with the posters who put it all on the line play. There's no way it's any worse than 2015 and Barkley was much more effective running the ball that year.
Bates doesn’t make a difference. They can’t run with him healthy either.

We have no offensive tackles. No blocking. We all knew coming in we were thin on the OL and DL. Unfortunate we stuffed injuries at both areas
Do you not think it has a lot to do with the RPO though? Just seems to me that we're asking a less than stellar line to hold blocks for a looong time in this system and that when we just go straight run we have more success.

Genuinely curious in your assessment

That offense is there to disguise a poor line, IMHO. Misdirection instead of blocks...

That offense is there to disguise a poor line, IMHO. Misdirection instead of blocks...
Hmm okay, not sure I agree with that take. But maybe.

Seems to me we're handing the ball off a second slower than most other teams with very little misdirection and that is making all the difference. There was one play in the game where trace faked a pitch to Barkley and then ran the opposite direction. It was a QB run all the way and it went for a bunch of yards. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I really think if we were more decisive and quicker in our run game we'd be fairing a whole lot better

With the talent at skill positions we have now and coming in the future I would give anything to see the spread HD come back. IMO even with the Oline issues we have, we would be mighty hard to stop. They used the I form at times correct?

Seems to me we're handing the ball off a second slower than most other teams with very little misdirection and that is making all the difference. There was one play in the game where trace faked a pitch to Barkley and then ran the opposite direction. It was a QB run all the way and it went for a bunch of yards. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I really think if we were more decisive and quicker in our run game we'd be fairing a whole lot better
I probably should have said "partly"....

Reactions: TheGLOV and psu2016
100% accurate.

Pin it

Defenses are on to it now. It did work really well before, but now they are defending properly. All it looks like now or super slow developing run plays. Need to adapt

True. Plus, wasn't the hype about this offensive system that they could get to the line and run plays at a much faster pace to tire out Defenses and prevent substitutions? Where has that fast pace offense been? Throw in some of that and get the MSU/ OSU Ds off balance.

HOW IN THE H*LL CAN YOU HAVE THE 2ND MOST NEGATIVE PLAYS OUT OF 130 TEAMS???????????????????????????????????
This RPO/ROP is garbage as regards the running game.

I get it's a high risk/high reward offense - just not getting a lot of the reward these days. Is last year what the RPO is supposed to look like? Or is there a version we haven't seen yet?

The thing that really bothers me is it sure seems like on the few plays where we just have a straightforward run with no RPO we have much better results. It's just quicker and more decisive.
I noticed that Oklahoma positions the RB about 2 yards back and to the left of the QB when they run the RPO. this allows the RB to take the potential handoff in stride and shortens the time the defense can react. With our flat footed handoff the defense has more time to react.

I noticed when OSU ran the RPO last week a few times, it seemed like Barrett took the snap and he and the tailback were moving forward together when the decision to keep or hand off was made.

In our version, it seems like we're almost standing still THEN need to accelerate. Just seems a little slower developing than other RPO's, but then again I never played the game.

Reactions: psu2016
I noticed when OSU ran the RPO last week a few times, it seemed like Barrett took the snap and he and the tailback were moving forward together when the decision to keep or hand off was made.

In our version, it seems like we're almost standing still THEN need to accelerate. Just seems a little slower developing than other RPO's, but then again I never played the game.
Yes, I completely agree. I'm no expert, but our RPO seems especially slow compared to every other team I've seen. Barkley literally starts from a standstill two seconds after the ball has been snapped

Yes, I completely agree. I'm no expert, but our RPO seems especially slow compared to every other team I've seem. Barkley literally starts from a standstill two seconds after the ball has been snapped
Well, that and at least 50% of the time he starts backwards as he is overwhelmed as the mesh point is blown up by 2 to 4 defensive players.

Reactions: mtnlion

Yes. I noted that same thing last year about OSU rpo vis-a-vis PSU rpo.

I'm convinced that you can't run the RPO exclusively. And Trace isn't the fastest QB. The D doesn't have to worry all that much about him running.
They don’t run it exclusively. In fact, they don’t even run it a majority of the time.

You people have no clue what an RPO looks like if you think Moorhead is calling them on a majority of the plays.

Well, we ran off John Donovan. Looks like it's Joe Moorhead turn.
Moorhead will get head coaching offers again at the seasons end. Be careful what you wish for the next OC could be a lot worse. With Barkley gone there will be a lot more pressure on the QB to carry a bigger load and 24 is not the player or threat that 26 is to defenses.

Moorhead will get head coaching offers again at the seasons end. Be careful what you wish for the next OC could be a lot worse. With Barkley gone there will be a lot more pressure on the QB to carry a bigger load and 24 is not the player or threat that 26 is to defenses.
He is if he runs from the I and the o-line blocks for him.

Please enlighten us.
Most plays we run are not RPO. We run zone options, zone runs, straight play actions and yes, RPOs. They all look similar with Trace handing off/faking with Barkley but are vastly different.

We run RPOs well under 25 percent of the time.

It’s like you mongloids forget how inept our offense was back in the day...
Not sure what "mongloids" are.
images

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT