ADVERTISEMENT

With the TOP RB in NCAA and a Very Escapable QB

Best running back in world and he hasn’t done squat in run game outside few big break away runs since Iowa. I HATE this offense. Barkley running skills have been wasted. Ya and the OL sucks too.
Barkley was more of a threat in run game his freshmen year in that stale pathetic offense then he has been this year.

Best running back in world and he hasn’t done squat in run game outside few big break away runs since Iowa. I HATE this offense. Barkley running skills have been wasted. Ya and the OL sucks too.
Barkley was more of a threat in run game his freshmen year in that stale pathetic offense then he has been this year.
So you would rather see that stale, pathetic offense?

No, but how about a running game scheme that better exploits 26's talents?
At the detriment of the team? We are
18th in the nation averaging 38 points per game. No way we get even close to that number going back to caveman ball. Hell, we don’t even have the OL to play that style of offense yet you all want it so Barkley can get a few more yards. It’s a joke.

At the detriment of the team? We are
18th in the nation averaging 38 points per game. No way we get even close to that number going back to caveman ball. Hell, we don’t even have the OL to play that style of offense yet you all want it so Barkley can get a few more yards. It’s a joke.
The two are not mutually exclusive. Better utilization of 26's talents would only augment the offensive potential, certainly not diminish it. We scored our "average" of 38 vs Ohio State, and how did that work out? Perhaps having the ability to run the ball at all in the 4th quarter might have not interminably placed our defense on the field with the game on the line.

HOW IN THE H*LL CAN YOU HAVE THE 2ND MOST NEGATIVE PLAYS OUT OF 130 TEAMS???????????????????????????????????
This RPO/ROP is garbage as regards the running game.

Our "escapable" QB gets happy feet and then throws on the run, inaccurately, missing 5 or 6 plays each game that lead to punts instead of scores, turning wins into clods wins or losses.

Thompkins had a ball thrown right to him on the critical 3rd down on a potential game winning drive and could not make the play. MSU playmakers were more consistent.

Our "playmakers" do not make enough plays. Bad when combined with a way below average OL.

The two are not mutually exclusive. Better utilization of 26's talents would only augment the offensive potential, certainly not diminish it. We scored our "average" of 38 vs Ohio State, and how did that work out? Perhaps having the ability to run the ball at all in the 4th quarter might have not interminably placed our defense on the field with the game on the line.

Exactly right. Too many care about points and stats. Only one stat matters. The point of getting Barkley the ball more and having him be more successful isn’t to get him more numbers - it’s to get us more points, so we win.

We have no offensive tackles. No blocking. We all knew coming in we were thin on the OL and DL. Unfortunate we stuffed injuries at both areas
Which makes the RPO insane, at least exclusively. The D gets a full second head start

Blast Barkley up the middle a few times, rather than have him run from a dead stop with a DT fighting him for the handoff.

Also, why not designed rollouts for Trace

Moreheads offense is now a defensive meeting at the exchange point

So you would rather see that stale, pathetic offense?

Uhhh it’s not 2015 we don’t have the same players. This team would put just as many points up even in the that offense because the players are sooo much better.

PSU would score a lot because they have a sea of excellent skill players and a very good qb NOT because of the offensive genius that is Moorhead.

Exactly right. Too many care about points and stats. Only one stat matters. The point of getting Barkley the ball more and having him be more successful isn’t to get him more numbers - it’s to get us more points, so we win.
EXACTLY! What happened in our losses to USC, OSU, and MSU? We literally had minus rushing yardage in the 4th quarter of all 3 games when we either had the lead, or were tied. Q): What is the time honored best way to protect a late lead, picking up a few first downs, and allowing the clock to run? A): Run the f^cking ball for at least some positive yardage, augmented by controlled passing as needed. The alternate answer is NOT to have NEGATIVE rushing plays. A scheme predicated on near NCAA worst negative plays is not conducive to closing out close games, Iowa to the contrary. Iowa game was only close due to excessive negative plays in the red zone throughout the game. Otherwise that game was a multiple TD win statistically.

You are out of your pay grade. The PAC plays NO DEFENSE. I watch PAC football and B1G. Stanford's offense is perfect for Love. Ours is quite detrimental to Barkley. Put 26 behind Stanford's line and run game philosophy in a league that plays defense barely better than the B12 and he'd hit 2,000 yards easily.

Agree with Song. Barkley is just WAY better than every other running back in college football. Not even close. IMO, he is also better than any running back in the NFL. He did everything he could yesterday, and against tOSU a week before. But his highest and best use is not as a decoy or blocking back. Maybe occasionally, but not on so many plays. That just drives me crazy.

I think this loss to Sparty was a team effort. Play calling by Moorhead could have stood some improvement. The OL got beat a lot. (Credit MSU for having a good DL.) But, IMO, the biggest single thing was that Trace's biggest weaknesses as a QB were on full display:

1. He has some escapability, but he's no speed merchant, and we should not be calling designed runs for him, or featuring him as a runner in the RPO. He is not that kind of dual threat QB.

2. He was off the mark with his passes more than a few times. He just can't seem to hit a WR on a post or a look in pattern. The ball is either thrown behind the WR (like on the Lions' last offensive play yesterday, and on several other plays), or it is thrown way over the WR's head. Sparty's QB was and is a better passer.

3. He is prone to making some bad decisions, particularly when he is under pressure. He's not alone in that, but those bad decisions turned into three picks yesterday. They really hurt.

I certainly don't mean to bash Trace (he's a great kid), but I was wondering yesterday, as he struggled in that crappy weather, why CJF does not give some consideration to giving Stephens a series or two to see what he can do. Stephens is a considerably better runner, and in lousy weather, his running ability presumably has added value. If Moorhead is gonna stick with the RPO, why not give a QB who is more of a running threat a chance to show what he can do? I know the old saying about the backup QB being the most popular guy on the team, but am wondering if anyone else has had thoughts similar to this.

It does have everything to do with it. I guarantee that we would not be as successful on offense reverting back to old man football.

Uhhh it’s not 2015 we don’t have the same players. This team would put just as many points up even in the that offense because the players are sooo much better.

PSU would score a lot because they have a sea of excellent skill players and a very good qb NOT because of the offensive genius that is Moorhead.
You are fooling yourself.

But, IMO, the biggest single thing was that Trace's biggest weaknesses as a QB were on full display:

1. He has some escapability, but he's no speed merchant, and we should not be calling designed runs for him, or featuring him as a runner in the RPO. He is not that kind of dual threat QB.

2. He was off the mark with his passes more than a few times. He just can't seem to hit a WR on a post or a look in pattern. The ball is either thrown behind the WR (like on the Lions' last offensive play yesterday, and on several other plays), or it is thrown way over the WR's head. Sparty's QB was and is a better passer.

3. He is prone to making some bad decisions, particularly when he is under pressure. He's not alone in that, but those bad decisions turned into three picks yesterday. They really hurt.

I certainly don't mean to bash Trace (he's a great kid), but I was wondering yesterday, as he struggled in that crappy weather, why CJF does not give some consideration to giving Stephens a series or two to see what he can do. Stephens is a considerably better runner, and in lousy weather, his running ability presumably has added value. If Moorhead is gonna stick with the RPO, why not give a QB who is more of a running threat a chance to show what he can do? I know the old saying about the backup QB being the most popular guy on the team, but am wondering if anyone else has had thoughts similar to this.[/QUOTE]

You nailed it. The difference between this year and last year is that teams are defending Mc Sorley better. They realize he has no arm strength, so teams don’t have to worry about the deep ball, meaning a pass more than 20 yards. That all We them to bring the safeties up.

He is not an accurate passer and he is not a big running threat, or at least not a big enough one for teams to key on him as opposed to Barkley during the RPO. All of this allows teams to just key on Barkley and Moorhead can’t figure out ways to make adjustments to counter this.

Kid plays hard and makes some plays but his weaknesses are being exploited.

Reactions: TheGLOV

IIRC, he had "195 yards" rushing against OSU his freshman year!

It does have everything to do with it. I guarantee that we would not be as successful on offense reverting back to old man football.
Please stay on task, or do you suffer from adult ADHD? Is it "mongloid"(sic), "cave man", or "old man" football? It's difficult to rebut a moving target.

It’s like you mongloids forget how inept our offense was back in the day...
As a physician who received my MD degree at age 22, it is easy to take umbrage from your slurs. But I would just give you the short course, Mongoloids can refer to people of Mongolia but more likely you are suggesting people with Down's Syndrome. I found this reference that may better define your slur.
"The following cases would make it sensible to use that term that way:

1. You're living in the late 19th or early 20th century.

2. You hate people with Downs Syndrome.

3. You're racist.

4. You hate people with Downs Syndrome and you're racist.
If any of the above are true, it would make perfect sense to use that word in that sense. In the case of writing fictional character's speech, take care that people don't confuse their speech with yours."

As a physician who received my MD degree at age 22, it is easy to take umbrage from your slurs. But I would just give you the short course, Mongoloids can refer to people of Mongolia but more likely you are suggesting people with Down's Syndrome. I found this reference that may better define your slur.

3. You're racist.

If any of the above are true, it would make perfect sense to use that word in that sense. In the case of writing fictional character's speech, take care that people don't confuse their speech with yours."
There's a reason getmyjive is self branded as such:
(Courtesy of Urban Dictionary):
jive
v.:1) to irritate or annoy
2) to throw off someone's style
n.:1) pointless or deceptive talk/rhetoric

How in the world has Chase Edmonds run for over 4000 yds at Fordham, 1800 one season? Is it because of the level of competition? Maybe they’ve had OLs that know how to run block in this system. Please don’t tell me it’s only been two years under Moorhead.

One reason is because the Patriot League doesn't have the quality coaching staffs that the BigTen has. It was just a matter of time until BigTen defensive coaches figured out how to slow down Moorhead's RPO schemes. It took a little more than a year but the better staffs seem to have figured out how to do it. Remember, Big Ten programs have former pro and college head coaches on their staffs who know how to accomplish these things, not so much in the Patriot league. Another reason is that the B1G has much better players to execute the defensive schemes that their coaches draw up.

Reactions: AvgPennStateFan
One reason is because the Patriot League doesn't have the quality coaching staffs that the BigTen has. It was just a matter of time until BigTen defensive coaches figured out how to slow down Moorhead's RPO schemes. It took a little more than a year but the better staffs seem to have figured out how to do it. Remember, Big Ten programs have former pro and college head coaches on their staffs who know how to accomplish these things, not so much in the Patriot league. Another reason is that the B1G has much better players to execute the defensive schemes that their coaches draw up.
Pretty much what I figured. Otherwise, Edmonds’s yardage didn’t make sense.

But, IMO, the biggest single thing was that Trace's biggest weaknesses as a QB were on full display:

I certainly don't mean to bash Trace (he's a great kid), but I was wondering yesterday, as he struggled in that crappy weather, why CJF does not give some consideration to giving Stephens a series or two to see what he can do. Stephens is a considerably better runner, and in lousy weather, his running ability presumably has added value. If Moorhead is gonna stick with the RPO, why not give a QB who is more of a running threat a chance to show what he can do? I know the old saying about the backup QB being the most popular guy on the team, but am wondering if anyone else has had thoughts similar to this.

You nailed it. The difference between this year and last year is that teams are defending Mc Sorley better. They realize he has no arm strength, so teams don’t have to worry about the deep ball, meaning a pass more than 20 yards. That all We them to bring the safeties up.

He is not an accurate passer and he is not a big running threat, or at least not a big enough one for teams to key on him as opposed to Barkley during the RPO. All of this allows teams to just key on Barkley and Moorhead can’t figure out ways to make adjustments to counter this.

Kid plays hard and makes some plays but his weaknesses are being exploited.[/QUOTE]
I certainly don't mean to bash Trace (he's a great kid), but I was wondering yesterday, as he struggled in that crappy weather, why CJF does not give some consideration to giving Stephens a series or two to see what he can do. Stephens is a considerably better runner, and in lousy weather, his running ability presumably has added value. If Moorhead is gonna stick with the RPO, why not give a QB who is more of a running threat a chance to show what he can do?[/
QUOTE]

That is the $64,000 question my man!

Why NOT put Stevens is??

Hey 060802: You had some remarkably insightful things to say. Just take a look at Glov's post! (LOL, how did he do that?)...

3. You're racist.

Or, in the real world where people use terms liberally, it means that you are stupid. Not Downs Syndrome, just stupid. Like suggesting a team that is scoring 38 points per game needs a change in scheme. That kind of stupid.

Please stay on task, or do you suffer from adult ADHD? Is it "mongloid"(sic), "cave man", or "old man" football? It's difficult to rebut a moving target.
It’s clearly all the same thing. “Hey, let’s run out of the I! Sure our offensive line is not good and we have no fullback, but this is clearly the answer!!”

LOL.

Or, in the real world where people use terms liberally, it means that you are stupid. Not Downs Syndrome, just stupid. Like suggesting a team that is scoring 38 points per game needs a change in scheme. That kind of stupid.
Or on the internet where people use terms liberally, it means that you are an idiot. Like referring to an MD as stupid. That kind of idiot.

Reactions: Phil's Rug
It's funny how one jackass can derail an entire thread. It's sad that it happens so often, with the same jackass.
The thread stank from the start when the OP insinuated that the RPO was the problem with our offense.

I get it's a high risk/high reward offense - just not getting a lot of the reward these days. Is last year what the RPO is supposed to look like? Or is there a version we haven't seen yet?

2017 PSU also doesn't have the long ball option that 2016 PSU had.
Defenses are more able to key on the run and on the RPO, you focus on SB and let TM try to beat you with his legs.

2017 PSU also doesn't have the long ball option that 2016 PSU had.
Defenses are more able to key on the run and on the RPO, you focus on SB and let TM try to beat you with his legs.

Why is that? Certainly, Gesicki, Blacknall, Charles, and Johnson are as big and fast (or faster) than Godwin. Godwin had amazing body control and hands, but I don't think we've aired it out as much this year (probably because we can't get the run game going and Trace is under more pressure).

HOW IN THE H*LL CAN YOU HAVE THE 2ND MOST NEGATIVE PLAYS OUT OF 130 TEAMS???????????????????????????????????
This RPO/ROP is garbage as regards the running game.

I've hated it all year. I noticed it in the Pitt game and brought it up...... but apparently I didn't know anything by a few experts. And here we are 6 games later looking the same, and the stats prove it. Go figure.

Why is that? Certainly, Gesicki, Blacknall, Charles, and Johnson are as big and fast (or faster) than Godwin. Godwin had amazing body control and hands, but I don't think we've aired it out as much this year (probably because we can't get the run game going and Trace is under more pressure).

Right. They have long ball options galore. They just need to find a way to get the ball to Barkley in space, and they can't do it.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
The thread stank from the start when the OP insinuated that the RPO was the problem with our offense.
You are indeed a bit challenged to keep up. Let me remind you what the original post stated:"This RPO/ROP is garbage as regards the running game."
That is not known as insinuation. You are a fool.

IDK. I don't think we've replaced the talent of Godwin. If you look at a lot of big plays from 2016, it was TM exiting the pocket and basically heaving it as far and as high as he could. In most of those cases, Godwin went and got the ball - he adjusted, he came back, he outplayed the DB. They weren't great passes. PSU has some very good receivers, but I don't think we have THAT capability. Look, I love TM. He's a gritty competitor that knows how to win. But he does lack the arm strength that would stretch the field and keep good defenses more honest.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
What do you think the problem is?
The problem is our OL continuously misses assignments and Barkley tries to do too much with the ball at times. Bates going down forces a RS FR to a position he isn’t accustomed to and our RT simply isn’t quick enough.

You are indeed a bit challenged to keep up. Let me remind you what the original post stated:"This RPO/ROP is garbage as regards the running game."
That is not known as insinuation. You are a fool.
Well then you are just stupid and have zero clue when we run the RPOs and when we do not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT