ADVERTISEMENT

WINTER. OLYMPICS.

LMAO, and I was in need of a good chuckle, so thank you very much. :D

What? You doubt me?

shopping-cart-ski-jump-fat-suit-fail-winter-sports-fails.gif

I know, I long for the days when we acted like the Russians and Chinese and just let the athletes compete on a fair and level playing field and don’t think of it as a national pride thing - we could learn a lot from these two Countries about sportsmanship.
Don't sell the East Germans short. Their female swimmers with moustaches and Adam's apples were all about fair and level playing fields.

Reactions: psu00
Seeing the guy lying down in obvious pain brought to mind the first time I crushed my nuts. (A dog was chasing me, I jumped on my bike and my nuts were tucked just a little too far back, and, well, you know the rest.)

200w.gif

Reactions: AWS1022
Love watching the Olympics, with speed skating and skiing being my favorites. For some reason, I am always nervous watching the ice skating, hoping they don't fall. Interested to see the hockey team play without the pros.

Yeah, I don't want to see the pros in the Olympics.

Pros are in the olympics, just not from the NHL. Players from the ahl, khl, and other leagues in europe are playing this time along with some amatuers. Ray Bourque's son Chris, who plays for the Hershey Bears, is on team usa.

Men's Downhill postponed because of high winds. NBC will have a lot of time to fill tonight.

Amazed there are not more posts in this thread. The 17 year-old kid (Red something or other) who just won gold in Snowboard slope style: Awesome! Seventeen years old, and he's from Ohio! Can you imagine this kid returning to high school for his spring semester? He will absolutely OWN that high school. "Check out my gold medal, dude."

Loved that American gal in the figure skating short program. (Bradie Tennell?) But the Russian gal is head and shoulders above the rest of them. Just amazing. Gotta hand it to her. She flat out killed it.

:eek:

Anyone watching? I'm watching Switzerland kick the crap out of Korea in women's hockey (6-0 near the end of the 2nd period). As I understand it, defections are included in Korea's box score. :eek:

While I'm not too excited about the WINTER. OLYMPICS. :eek: , I will watch women's figure skating (for obvious reasons), men's and women's hockey, and some of the skiing. You?

Doubt that I'll watch more than 2 minutes over the next 2 weeks, not
a winter sports guy.

Amazed there are not more posts in this thread. The 17 year-old kid (Red something or other) who just won gold in Snowboard slope style: Awesome! Seventeen years old, and he's from Ohio! Can you imagine this kid returning to high school for his spring semester? He will absolutely OWN that high school. "Check out my gold medal, dude."

Loved that American gal in the figure skating short program. (Bradie Tennell?) But the Russian gal is head and shoulders above the rest of them. Just amazing. Gotta hand it to her. She flat out killed it.
The kid is from Silverthorne, CO since he was about 5.
Awesome accomplishment for him.

The kid is from Silverthorne, CO since he was about 5.
Awesome accomplishment for him.
They said he moved there from Ohio at some point. I didn't hear exactly when. They show video of a bar in Rocky something or other, Ohio, as he was winning. Great stuff.

They said he moved there from Ohio at some point. I didn't hear exactly when. They show video of a bar in Rocky something or other, Ohio, as he was winning. Great stuff.
Yes, he's been here in CO since age of 5 I think. Amazing how towns adopt there olympians. I'm in EagleVail, CO, home town of Mikaela Shiffrin. There are big viewing parties planned to watch her race. She is amazing.

A couple of years ago a friend rode up the lift with her and her Mom who is her coach. Even though her friend kept poking her in the ribs she didn't realize who she was making small talk with about mountain conditions until she innocently asked. "Do you ever race"? To which Mikaela responded, "Yes, I'm on the US Ski Team". Then she realized what was going on.

She seems like a nice kid. Hope she wins multiple medals which would be amazing since she didn't start dabbling in the other disciplines until last season.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa

Obviously not a lot of winter olympians hailing from Cleveland, so they'll gladly take credit for a kid who left the area at age 7 (I believe). He was from Rocky River, a western suburb of the Land. Awesome win for the kid, we'll be seeing him in multiple Olympics to come.

Pennsylvania athletes in the Winter Olympics (from Pennlive)-

Winter Olympics 2018: Pennsylvania athletes who could win gold, silver, bronze medals in Korea
Posted February 10, 2018 at 07:00 AM | Updated February 10, 2018 at 10:14 AM

2 Comment
summer-britcher-959a679c6f782bfe.jpg

Lauren Kirschman | lkirschman@pennlive.com

There are nine members of the 2018 Olympic Team who list somewhere in Pennsylvania as their hometown. Here are the ones most likely to take home a gold, bronze or silver medal.

Summer Britcher (Luge)

summer17wjpg-98b2c99d92509090jpg-ce681225d62a64cf.jpg

Team USA

AGE/HOMETOWN: 23/Glen Rock, Pa.

OLYMPIC EXPERIENCE: Britcher was also a member of the Olympic team in 2014.

DID YOU KNOW?: Britcher's has five World Cup career victories, making her the all-time singles leader in USA Luge history.

WHY SHE COULD CONTEND IN PYEONGCHANG: At the 2017-18 World Cup, she won gold medals in sprint and singles races. She finished the season ranked a career-high third overall. Britcher finished 15th at the 2014 XXII Olympic Winter Games. Sports Illustrated predicts a bronze medal for Britcher in 2018.

Jamie Greubel Poser (Bobsled)

greubel-poserjpg-ee400d6597483f07jpg-c2ddb62d8cb91ac5.jpg

Team USA

AGE/HOMETOWN: 34/Newtown, Pa.

OLYMPIC EXPERIENCE: Greubel Poser was also a member of the Olympic team in 2014 and won bronze.

DID YOU KNOW?: Greubel Poser competed in the heptathlon and pentathlon at Cornell and still holds multiple school records. Her college track teammates encourages her to try bobsled.

WHY SHE COULD CONTEND IN PYEONGCHANG: She has enough World Cup wins to contend for a season title. The pusher won bronze at the 2014 Olympic Games and also took bronze at the 2017 world championships. Greubel Poser won the overall world cup title for the 2016-17 season.

John-Henry Krueger (Short track speedskating)

kruegerwebjpg-323f7d22fa53f132jpg-08147fae4812f482.jpg

Team USA

AGE/HOMETOWN: 22/Pittsburgh, Pa.

OLYMPIC EXPERIENCE: This is Krueger's Olympic debut.

DID YOU KNOW?: Krueger's dream job is teaching English in a another country.

WHY HE COULD CONTEND IN PYEONGCHANG: Krueger was considered a strong contender to make the 2014 Olympic team, but he got the swine flu the day before his qualifier. Krueger won the men's 500m, 1000m, 1500m and overall at the U.S. Olympic team trials.

Ryan Gunderson (Ice hockey)

gunderson-ryan-150x250jpg-058214cfc5ac6d08jpg-a988291e3864da13.jpg

Team USA

AGE/HOMETOWN: 32/Bensalem, Pa.

OLYMPIC EXPERIENCE: This is Granderson's Olympic debut.

DID YOU KNOW?: Granderson holds the record for most games played in a career at the University of Vermont with 148 games.

WHY HE COULD CONTEND IN PYEONGCHANG: It will be a difficult task for the United States to make the podium, but it will still be a contender. Russia is the favorite to take home gold (+105) followed by Canada (+450), Sweden (+450), Finland (+800) and the Czech Republic (+900). The United States is next (+1000).

Chad Kolarik (Ice hockey)

kolarik-chad-150x250jpg-898996e3a5cb5779jpg-891ec8a7722452d0.jpg

Team USA

AGE/HOMETOWN: 32/Abington, Pa.

OLYMPIC EXPERIENCE: This is Kolarik's Olympic debut.

DID YOU KNOW?: Kolarik was drafted by the Phoenix Coyotes in the seventh round of the 2004 NHL Draft.

WHY HE COULD CONTEND IN PYEONGCHANG: It will be a difficult task for the United States to make the podium, but it will still be a contender. Russia is the favorite to take home gold (+105) followed by Canada (+450), Sweden (+450), Finland (+800) and the Czech Republic (+900). The United States is next (+1000).

Brian O'Neill (Ice hockey)

oneill-brian-150x250-1jpg-f18fc10b846d08f1jpg-ac5cca537613de9d.jpg

Team USA

AGE/HOMETOWN: 29/Yardley, Pa.

OLYMPIC EXPERIENCE: This is O'Neill's Olympic debut.

DID YOU KNOW?: O'Neill was signed by the Los Angeles Kings in 2012.

Ryan Zapolski (Ice hockey)

zapolski-ryan-150x250jpg-1096aaa2edee6b5cjpg-1bcca6509e61927e.jpg

Team USA

AGE/HOMETOWN: 31/Erie, Pa.

OLYMPIC EXPERIENCE: This is Zapolski's Olympic debut.

DID YOU KNOW?: Zapolski currently leads the KHL in wins (16-1), save percentage (.956), goals-against average (1.11) and shutouts (5).

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/inde...8_pennsylva.html#incart_river_mobile_home_pop

Reactions: johnmpsu
Two thumbs, WAY UP, Jim. If I could win any medal, it would be the Gold in the Large Hill Ski Jump. Imagine the rush when you leave the ramp and launch into the air!

Viva Eddie the Eagle!

What you don’t realize from tv coverage is they are not really moving much in a horizontal plane. They are dropping like stones down a vertical face. The view from the top at lake placid is terrifying.

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Red Gerard won the gold in slopestyle snowboarding.

Chris Mazdzer took the silver in men's single luge. That was the first medal ever for the U.S. in this event.

In women's hockey, the U.S. defeated Finland, 3-1.

Reactions: psu00
Very ambiguous feelings about the Winter Olympics. On the one hand the Olympic movement is profoundly corrupt to the core. And, push comes to shove, the winter games are fundamentally rich people’s games. (If you doubt me ask who all the African nations’ participants are). On the other hand, love the niche events like x country, biathlon, ski jump, bobsled, luge. I despise the stoner events like snowboard.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
What you don’t realize from tv coverage is they are not really moving much in a horizontal plane. They are dropping like stones down a vertical face. The view from the top at lake placid is terrifying.
No doubt! I was on the top of the one in Innsbruck. Beautiful view of the town and the Nordkette, but terrifying.

All that said, pretty cool that they are only like 15-20 feet at the most in the air due to the engineering of the jump with the Hill

Reactions: Aardvark86
Very ambiguous feelings about the Winter Olympics. On the one hand the Olympic movement is profoundly corrupt to the core. And, push comes to shove, the winter games are fundamentally rich people’s games. (If you doubt me ask who all the African nations’ participants are). On the other hand, love the niche events like x country, biathlon, ski jump, bobsled, luge. I despise the stoner events like snowboard.
Seriously? African nations. Sorry but snow and ice sports are not exactly popular in Africa. Oh yes, the best area in Africa has a season that runs from early January to mid March. The area I ski at regularly has more skiable terrain than every ski area in Africa combined. I guess Norway, Switzerland, Sweden, not to mention Colorado, and Wyoming, are just full of rich people. Florida must be full of poor people. It obviously has nothing to do with the environment the kids grow up in. Sorry but you don't have a clue.

Here is a pretty good story about Mikaela Shiffrin. It will give you a good idea of what it takes to become a world class athlete.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/11/27/mikaela-shiffrin-the-best-slalom-skier-in-the-world
The video coverage of Mikaela Shiffrin they showed yesterday on NBC had a brief snippet of her doing some snatches with what looked like an Olympic barbell and either 35 or 45 pound plates. Her core, her quads and her arms were a LOT more buff than I would have expected.

Reactions: johnmpsu
Seriously? African nations. Sorry but snow and ice sports are not exactly popular in Africa. Oh yes, the best area in Africa has a season that runs from early January to mid March. The area I ski at regularly has more skiable terrain than every ski area in Africa combined. I guess Norway, Switzerland, Sweden, not to mention Colorado, and Wyoming, are just full of rich people. Florida must be full of poor people. It obviously has nothing to do with the environment the kids grow up in. Sorry but you don't have a clue.

He means there are rich people who back into the Olympics by leveraging some tenuous connection to a country. It is a well known and used tactic.

Also winter sports are expensive, even for those that grew up in winter regions. I grew up near ski slopes but went twice in my life. Always wanted to but never had the $. By the time I graduated and got a job my knees were too shot.

No doubt! I was on the top of the one in Innsbruck. Beautiful view of the town and the Nordkette, but terrifying.

All that said, pretty cool that they are only like 15-20 feet at the most in the air due to the engineering of the jump with the Hill
Heck the view from the *bottom* of the jump is pretty scary. I was in Garmish at the old 1936 Olympic jumps once--and climbed up the hill to stand at the takeoff spot.....

And those are much smaller than what they use today.

He means there are rich people who back into the Olympics by leveraging some tenuous connection to a country. It is a well known and used tactic.

Also winter sports are expensive, even for those that grew up in winter regions. I grew up near ski slopes but went twice in my life. Always wanted to but never had the $. By the time I graduated and got a job my knees were too shot.
There are no more "Eddie the eagle"s. The public loved it, the olympics didn't. There are strict qualifying rules now. Nobody "backs in". The ski town has many opportunities for kids to get on the mountain. If you show talent there are even more. Times have changed. Even without the programs skiing is now very manageable for a middle class family. An adult epic pass is $800. It gives you season long privileges at any Vail resort. Kids K-5 can get 4 free days of skiing. Kids 4 and under are free. There is a season pass for kids but I don't know the price. Equipment can be had for very little. Bottom line is that it is accessible to most. Where you live matters. Times have changed.

No, the point is these are either Americans who are borderline native Africans, Africans going to school in the states (with what that implies relative to base income), and, wait for it, winter sports are expensive.

There are no more "Eddie the eagle"s. The public loved it, the olympics didn't. There are strict qualifying rules now. Nobody "backs in". The ski town has many opportunities for kids to get on the mountain. If you show talent there are even more. Times have changed. Even without the programs skiing is now very manageable for a middle class family. An adult epic pass is $800. It gives you season long privileges at any Vail resort. Kids K-5 can get 4 free days of skiing. Kids 4 and under are free. There is a season pass for kids but I don't know the price. Equipment can be had for very little. Bottom line is that it is accessible to most. Where you live matters. Times have changed.

Tongan flag bearer guy is just one example this year.

No, the point is these are either Americans who are borderline native Africans, Africans going to school in the states (with what that implies relative to base income), and, wait for it, winter sports are expensive.

There are a lot of American athletes competing for other countries and foreign athletes going to school or training in the States, etc. Nothing new there in either the Winter or Summer Olympics (given the very lax IOC rules on determining nationality).

There are a lot of American athletes competing for other countries and foreign athletes going to school or training in the States, etc. Nothing new there in either the Winter or Summer Olympics (given the very lax IOC rules on determining nationality).
...though usually it is possible to actually play the sport in ones own country.

On a similar note to your last point, the winter olympics lost me when they went x-games.

Not sure why there's a luge and a skeleton.
Don't quite understand the concept of downhill snowboard or snowboard slalom.

Have a slalom, and however one can do it quickest wins. Why we now have sub categories based on equipment is odd.

It's like having a 100m sneaker run and then a 100m socks only run.

Perhaps not the best analogy, but snowboarding is slower and really does not provide any advantage to skis in any way. Why there is a category for it, not sure.

LdN

Guys, watch or don’t watch. Stop the endless debating.

:eek:

I've barely watched anything. Mostly because of two young kids, but also because I have no idea when it is on. When is the 'live' coverage? Are we doing pretty well?

I've barely watched anything. Mostly because of two young kids, but also because I have no idea when it is on. When is the 'live' coverage? Are we doing pretty well?

I haven't kept up with the TV schedule. The U.S. is doing reasonably well. At present, the total medal count looks like this:

Norway, 8
Canada, 7
Germany, 6
Netherlands, 5
U.S.A., 4

The U.S.A. has two gold medals, one silver, and one bronze. The U.S. took the bronze in the team skate yesterday. The highlight for the Americans was Mirai Nagasu nailing a triple axel in the free skate. She is the first American and just third woman ever to land a triple axel at the Olympics.

On a similar note to your last point, the winter olympics lost me when they went x-games.

Not sure why there's a luge and a skeleton.
Don't quite understand the concept of downhill snowboard or snowboard slalom.

Have a slalom, and however one can do it quickest wins. Why we now have sub categories based on equipment is odd.

It's like having a 100m sneaker run and then a 100m socks only run.

Perhaps not the best analogy, but snowboarding is slower and really does not provide any advantage to skis in any way. Why there is a category for it, not sure.

LdN

The hilarious part is that I think the competitors in luge and skeleton implicitly agree with you. They are in separate federations (skeleton being aligned with bobsled).

The hilarious part is that I think the competitors in luge and skeleton implicitly agree with you. They are in separate federations (skeleton being aligned with bobsled).

In four years, maybe they will have tobogganing too.

In a related note, friends of mine were entered in the U.S. National Toboggan Championships this weekend in Maine. They didn't place but my understanding was that wasn't the objective (Note: The photo isn't them but their outfits were equally ridiculous).

53222221_H22761552-600x387.jpg

I watch it and appreciate it. I like the stuff like the Biathlon and Cross Country skiing since you see it once every 4 years. I must say I don’t care for the stuff that is more X games but I understand that the younger demographics like this more than the traditional downhill, etc.

I’m fascinated with curling too. I watch that too even though I have no clue.

Maybe it’s because I’m old, but I enjoy greatly watching stuff I’ve never done and will never do.

IMO, I don’t get the attitude of people dumping on the Winter Games. These participants are the essence of competition in sports that you don’t get rich at but they still have unlimited passion for.

Plus, the highlight will be the women’s hockey. This rivalry is more intense than the Iron Bowl and “The Game.” Both teams say gold medal or bust and anything less than gold is a failure. It’s going to be spectacular.
The most famous man in all of Olympics.....Eddie the Eagle. Who will be this year's Eddie?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT