ADVERTISEMENT

WINTER. OLYMPICS.

Vividly remember watching Bruce Jenner win decathlon gold at the 76 Montreal games. Lots of national pride on top of the bicentennial at that time - have been hooked on the summer games since.
Miracle on Ice at Lake Placid in 1980 - have been hooked on the winter games since.
Watch as much of everything and anything that I can. Love the big sports and the obscure. Watched biathlon coverage last night - loved it.
If you are a SPORTS fan, I don't know how you can't love the Olympics (putting politics, corrupt committee, etc aside).
My guess is that many here are FOOTBALL fans, not truly sports fans, and if that is the case then I totally get the ambivalence toward the Olympics.

Amazed there are not more posts in this thread. The 17 year-old kid (Red something or other) who just won gold in Snowboard slope style: Awesome! Seventeen years old, and he's from Ohio! Can you imagine this kid returning to high school for his spring semester? He will absolutely OWN that high school. "Check out my gold medal, dude."

Loved that American gal in the figure skating short program. (Bradie Tennell?) But the Russian gal is head and shoulders above the rest of them. Just amazing. Gotta hand it to her. She flat out killed it.
Kid was born two miles from me in Rocky River. I had no idea until I flipped on the TV later Friday night to see him move into first place. They had a local feed showing his family at a club I frequent having a "watch party". They were interviewing his aunts and uncles that couldn't go to Korea. Then the kid wins gold. They had to be having one heck of a party!

BTW, the kid moved from Rocky River to Colorado when he was something like 7 years old...but most of his family is still here.

I find myself liking it much more this time around than previous. I believe it is due to the large HD tvs we have and the thousands of cameras that they have for the events now. You can now follow just about every part of a persons run down a hill. In the past you would see only certain spots. And it is so clear now. There was a Luge dude that had a small strap banging at his helmet. You could see it as he was going 80 mph. No way in the past could you notice that. I can't stand all the commercials but thankfully with CNBC and the Olympic Channel you can typically flip to one of the others and find something to ride out.

I find myself liking it much more this time around than previous. I believe it is due to the large HD tvs we have and the thousands of cameras that they have for the events now. You can now follow just about every part of a persons run down a hill. In the past you would see only certain spots. And it is so clear now. There was a Luge dude that had a small strap banging at his helmet. You could see it as he was going 80 mph. No way in the past could you notice that. I can't stand all the commercials but thankfully with CNBC and the Olympic Channel you can typically flip to one of the others and find something to ride out.
interesting thoughts relative to the TV. I've always thought that the winter games are more picturesque. The gal's figure-skating outfits---the colorful track and sleds in the luge---the mountains--the contrast of the colors on the white backgrounds. In 4K, these have been really awesome. Reminds me of the series "Earth" when the first HD TV's were out.

Pros are in the olympics, just not from the NHL. Players from the ahl, khl, and other leagues in europe are playing this time along with some amatuers. Ray Bourque's son Chris, who plays for the Hershey Bears, is on team usa.

Yeah, but the NHL is the best of the best. The ex-US leagues are, basically, the minors. As much as it's cool to see NHL players playing in an all star format that they actually care about, I have to say, I sorta side with the owners on this one, inasmuch as the NHL is literally the only top pro league in a revenue sport that has to deal with the Olympics falling in the middle of their season.

Yeah, but the NHL is the best of the best. The ex-US leagues are, basically, the minors. As much as it's cool to see NHL players playing in an all star format that they actually care about, I have to say, I sorta side with the owners on this one, inasmuch as the NHL is literally the only top pro league in a revenue sport that has to deal with the Olympics falling in the middle of their season.
Depends--not all of the Summer Olympics were held in our summer. And, of course, when baseball was an Olympic sport, it did come during the season. But, of course, it's only been recently that pros competed.

It's also been an issue for soccer--but there, they do not want to reduce the value of the World Cup.

Baseball uses, candidly, scrubs, and I thought World Cup was basically juniors?

Last edited:
OK, this is funny:

WLS-Ch.7 blames graphics 'mix-up' for confusion between P.F. Chang's and Pyeongchang

650x366

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
It really sucks there are so many events that are decided by someone's opinion. Announcers are baffled over Kelly Clark's score on the half pipe. These athlete's medal chances are out of their control.

:eek:

Anyone watching? I'm watching Switzerland kick the crap out of Korea in women's hockey (6-0 near the end of the 2nd period). As I understand it, defections are included in Korea's box score. :eek:

While I'm not too excited about the WINTER. OLYMPICS. :eek: , I will watch women's figure skating (for obvious reasons), men's and women's hockey, and some of the skiing. You?

Not me.

:eek:

Anyone watching? I'm watching Switzerland kick the crap out of Korea in women's hockey (6-0 near the end of the 2nd period). As I understand it, defections are included in Korea's box score. :eek:

While I'm not too excited about the WINTER. OLYMPICS. :eek: , I will watch women's figure skating (for obvious reasons), men's and women's hockey, and some of the skiing. You?
Went to Utah to Ski. Found out that I was really good, but not elite. Love the down hill races. Will watch those events. And the women's Ice skating. And the hockey. And the ski jumps (agony of defeat moments), as well as we have a guy competing...

yep, yep. Sorry. Take your pic. I was watching the first one, but apparently there's another.
anastasia-bryzgalova-curling.png

950full-anna-sidorova.jpg

Anna-Sidorova-Russian-Curler-8-259x400.jpg

There's freaking three of them. I suspect Putin has something to do with this.

Ekaterina-Galkina-curling2.jpg

First of all, you deserve a double flag for such a horrible job of posting pictures. I'll fix them for you. :D

Secondly, the two other gals you posted (Anna Sidorova and Ekaterina Galkina) curled in Sochi not in PyeongChang.

Thirdly, there were four gals on that team all of whom deserve a look. The other two are:

Margarita Fomina:

248119_305369949595224_1015264867_n.jpg

Alexandra Saitova:

1001505_410847805693194_625020994_n.jpg

Fourthly, there are much better pictures of Anna Sidorova available.

405729_4369768282513_549438807_n.jpg

Fifthly, I like this one of Ekaterina better

EkaterinaGalkina1403843476-1.jpg

Lastly, many more pics of all four of them are here from four years ago.

Russian Curling Team

A064EBD082064AE5862E80FB84330B79.jpg

Last edited:
First of all, you deserve a double flag for such a horrible job of posting pictures. I'll fix them for you. :D

Secondly, the two other gals you posted (Anna Sidorova and Ekaterina Galkina) curled in Sochi not in PyeongChang.

Thirdly, there were four gals on that team all of whom deserve a look. The other two are:

Margarita Fomina:

248119_305369949595224_1015264867_n.jpg

Alexandra Saitova:

1001505_410847805693194_625020994_n.jpg

Fourthly, there are much better pictures of Anna Sidorova available.

405729_4369768282513_549438807_n.jpg

Fifthly, I like this one of Ekaterina better

EkaterinaGalkina1403843476-1.jpg

Lastly, many more pics of all four of them are here from four years ago.

Russian Curling Team

A064EBD082064AE5862E80FB84330B79.jpg
Feel free to correct me with pictures all you like. I happily stand corrected. One thing I stand by, Putin has a hand in women's curling team selection. No doubt in my mind about that.

Caught the women's half-pipe and the bronze medal mixed doubles curling last night (OAR FTW!) and Chloe Kim is unreal. She's going to be able to write her own ticket after this...

chloe-kim-topper.jpg

I don't get the posters who have an anti-X-Games mindset. Some of the stuff those kids do is mindblowing. I'm in awe.

I like that the Olympics are willing to evolve. I don't mind the X-Games stuff either but admittedly like other traditional sports a bit more. Having said that, the X-Games athletes are typically really fun, excited types who ooze charisma. See: Chloe Kim and Shaun White.

Still, I can't help but think how 'well off' these kids are that they basically spend all their free time at top resorts around the world doing this stuff on their parent's dime.

Caught the women's half-pipe and the bronze medal mixed doubles curling last night (OAR FTW!) and Chloe Kim is unreal. She's going to be able to write her own ticket after this...

chloe-kim-topper.jpg

Did she smoke the half pipe?

I don't get the posters who have an anti-X-Games mindset. Some of the stuff those kids do is mindblowing. I'm in awe.

It’s little more than ringling bros. The only thing that could make it worse is celebrity judges.

For what? A career in half pipe?

Maybe go the Bruce Jenner route and make a ton in appearances and speaking?

Or the endorsement route a la Shaun White.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe go the Bruce Jenner route and make a ton in appearances and speaking?

Or the endorsement route a la Shaun White.

You might want to rethink that first one—we all know how that turned out.

But more generally— ah yes, the professional spokesperson career path. I see a lot of the old timers in that field on the upper channels of the cable box...

You might want to rethink that first one—we all know how that turned out.

But more generally— ah yes, the professional spokesperson career path. I see a lot of the old timers in that field on the upper channels of the cable box...

Have something against transgender people? Pretty sure Jenner was, and continues to do quite well financially. Shaun White is worth about $40mm - she can maybe try to emulate his success with endorsments and appearances. Who knows.

But if you want to continue piss all over everything, have at it.

Have something against transgender people? Pretty sure Jenner was, and continues to do quite well financially. Shaun White is worth about $40mm - she can maybe try to emulate his success with endorsments and appearances. Who knows.

But if you want to continue piss all over everything, have at it.

Not at all. It’s a medical thing, and comes with a lot of psychological baggage that ain’t easy to carry.

I just piss all over pseudo sports that are created by stoners and recognized by the IOC for the sake of drawing more upper middle class westerners into the money pot.

Not at all. It’s a medical thing, and comes with a lot of psychological baggage that ain’t easy to carry.

I just piss all over pseudo sports that are created by stoners and recognized by the IOC for the sake of drawing more upper middle class westerners into the money pot.

200.gif

ADVERTISEMENT