ADVERTISEMENT

WINTER. OLYMPICS.

I call the 3 try sports exhibition sports. Designed to get them to do insane stuff. Make all 3 tries count and they lose a lot of the insanity. Insanity sells tickets. I'll take ski racing every day or any sport played against the clock or each other.

Multiple try sports are nothing new. They have been around for as long as time. Do you think these are exhibition events? Long jump, high jump, triple jump, pole vault, shot put, discus throw, javelin throw? Those are all "multiple attempt, only the best counts" events.

Reactions: okinburg1
Multiple try sports are nothing new. They have been around for as long as time. Do you think these are exhibition events? Long jump, high jump, triple jump, pole vault, shot put, discus throw, javelin throw? Those are all "multiple attempt, only the best counts" events.
Big difference. All those events are are actually measured. The pipe, etc. events are fine, just not my favorite.

Here's Ester Ledecka of the Czech Republic, winner of the women's super G. She's a snowboarder who won on skis borrowed from Mikaela Shiffrin.
frs.jpeg

Here's Ester Ledecka of the Czech Republic, winner of the women's super G. She's a snowboarder who won on skis borrowed from Mikaela Shiffrin.
frs.jpeg
I went to bed thinking the race was over--as usually it is once you get past no. 18 or so. It wasn't

There are no more "Eddie the eagle"s. The public loved it, the olympics didn't. There are strict qualifying rules now. Nobody "backs in". The ski town has many opportunities for kids to get on the mountain. If you show talent there are even more. Times have changed. Even without the programs skiing is now very manageable for a middle class family. An adult epic pass is $800. It gives you season long privileges at any Vail resort. Kids K-5 can get 4 free days of skiing. Kids 4 and under are free. There is a season pass for kids but I don't know the price. Equipment can be had for very little. Bottom line is that it is accessible to most. Where you live matters. Times have changed.

The most famous man in all of Olympics.....Eddie the Eagle. Who will be this year's Eddie?
Elizabeth Swaney would like a word. It would appear she simply bought her way into the Olympics by finding a sport with minimal competition, travelling to all possible qualifying events, ensuring she didn't fall to get points at every event, and finding a country with athlete quotas.

Do the women’s tops keep falling off during the ice skating to improve ratings? Not posting her nip slip here. Pick up your flags.

I realize I'm getting old but honestly I don't understand some of these sports. The other issue for me is the actual athletes. Back in the day athletes were proud to represent their country of origin or citizenship. Every athlete who's introduced has some form of a disclaimer. For example, two American's, one Greek and the other Korean are skating for Korea. Half the women Hockey teams are loaded with American girls with duel citizenship. I guess times are a changing.

I realize I'm getting old but honestly I don't understand some of these sports. The other issue for me is the actual athletes. Back in the day athletes were proud to represent their country of origin or citizenship. Every athlete who's introduced has some form of a disclaimer. For example, two American's, one Greek and the other Korean are skating for Korea. Half the women Hockey teams are loaded with American girls with duel citizenship. I guess times are a changing.
I understand where you're coming from but if I had to guess I'd say that just about every American on a foreign team wasn't good enough to make the U.S. team.

US hockey team play vs Czech Republic

I am slowly becoming a bigger and bigger hockey fan, though still have questions about the game. Last night in particular I was a bit confused. At the end of the game the US had a 5 on 4 advantage for final 1:15 of regulation play - yet they did not have a single shot on goal and did not appear to be playing aggressively. Then in OT when the teams go to 4 on 4, the US had the remaining 45 seconds of the power play (so first 45 seconds of OT) with a 4 on 3 advantage. During that time the US team effectively played Dean Smith style 4 corners and just passed the puck back and forth among mostly 3 players. There was not a single shot on goal or even an attempt to play aggressively. When the power play was over the Czech player came and they quickly stole the puck.

Can anyone explain the strategy? Were the players tired? Told only to attack if there was an opening? I can't figure out why in a tied game, with the winner going to the medal round and a power play situation, the team seemed to play with no intensity or desire to win. Given I am not as familiar with hockey strategy I am curious what other more knowledgeable fans think of that situation.

I am slowly becoming a bigger and bigger hockey fan, though still have questions about the game. Last night in particular I was a bit confused. At the end of the game the US had a 5 on 4 advantage for final 1:15 of regulation play - yet they did not have a single shot on goal and did not appear to be playing aggressively. Then in OT when the teams go to 4 on 4, the US had the remaining 45 seconds of the power play (so first 45 seconds of OT) with a 4 on 3 advantage. During that time the US team effectively played Dean Smith style 4 corners and just passed the puck back and forth among mostly 3 players. There was not a single shot on goal or even an attempt to play aggressively. When the power play was over the Czech player came and they quickly stole the puck.

Can anyone explain the strategy? Were the players tired? Told only to attack if there was an opening? I can't figure out why in a tied game, with the winner going to the medal round and a power play situation, the team seemed to play with no intensity or desire to win. Given I am not as familiar with hockey strategy I am curious what other more knowledgeable fans think of that situation.
I didn't see the game but from your description they just sound scared. They were probably worried about a blocked shot leading to a short handed chance. Olympic players should not be tired in a tied game for a shot at going to the medal round especially with a PP in overtime. I would have tried to end the game in OT right then and there. 4 on 3 gives a lot of options and a lot of open ice to create scoring chances. Just sounds plain stupid to me.

US hockey team play vs Czech Republic

I was shouting at the television, "Shoot the puck!!" I'm not a hockey expert but I agree with you. The US had a 4 on 3 but looked like they were doing passing drills in practice.

I didn't see the game but from your description they just sound scared. They were probably worried about a blocked shot leading to a short handed chance. Olympic players should not be tired in a tied game for a shot at going to the medal round especially with a PP in overtime. I would have tried to end the game in OT right then and there. 4 on 3 gives a lot of options and a lot of open ice to create scoring chances. Just sounds plain stupid to me.

They weren't playing scared. They were looking for a perfect opportunity to get an include attempt. It was poor power play. Bourque at the point isn't afraid of giving up a short handed chance of having one blocked.

You cannot say 'Cute & Minnesota' in the same sentence ever without mentioning the Tapp Twins....(bonus pic of fellow Gopher Sarah Wilhite, middle...):

13102482_595290510649117_754058706_n.jpg

Reactions: N&B4PSU
You cannot say 'Cute & Minnesota' in the same sentence ever without mentioning the Tapp Twins....(bonus pic of fellow Gopher Sarah Wilhite, middle...):

13102482_595290510649117_754058706_n.jpg
Tapp Twins!!!??? Sounds like they belong on the other thread about funeral strippers! “I’d like to Tapp that but I’m dead”!!!

Tapp Twins!!!??? Sounds like they belong on the other thread about funeral strippers! “I’d like to Tapp that but I’m dead”!!!

I'm seeing fewer threads overall thanks to my massive ignore list, so I missed that one.

But yes....

tumblr_n02q70goaB1rg0lgoo1_500.gif

OK, the women's gold medal hockey game is underway. I'll hang for a bit, Canadians have to be the favorite.

The move to win the Hockey game in the shootout was as good as you'll ever see. I am talking about the USA's final shootout goal and the goalie's stop of the next shot as well.

Also the Cross Country Skiing event last night was what sports was all about. USA had never won a medal, let alone a gold, in this particular event. After securing, at least, a bronze, the US gals looked like they had no shot several times down the stretch. And then Diggins took over and closed like a mother in the last 100 meters to win the gold in, almost, a photo finish (or is it Finnish). Awesome event.

The move to win the Hockey game in the shootout was as good as you'll ever see. I am talking about the USA's final shootout goal and the goalie's stop of the next shot as well.

Also the Cross Country Skiing event last night was what sports was all about. USA had never won a medal, let alone a gold, in this particular event. After securing, at least, a bronze, the US gals looked like they had no shot several times down the stretch. And then Diggins took over and closed like a mother in the last 100 meters to win the gold in, almost, a photo finish (or is it Finnish). Awesome event.

Agree 1000%. I was thinking of both of these myself. People have expressed dim views on the Olympics and everything is certainly a matter of individual preference. But both of the events you mention showed athletics and competition at its best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT