ADVERTISEMENT

WINTER. OLYMPICS.

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
:eek:

Anyone watching? I'm watching Switzerland kick the crap out of Korea in women's hockey (6-0 near the end of the 2nd period). As I understand it, defections are included in Korea's box score. :eek:

While I'm not too excited about the WINTER. OLYMPICS. :eek: , I will watch women's figure skating (for obvious reasons), men's and women's hockey, and some of the skiing. You?

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Love watching the Olympics, with speed skating and skiing being my favorites. For some reason, I am always nervous watching the ice skating, hoping they don't fall. Interested to see the hockey team play without the pros.

Reactions: androcles
Love watching the Olympics, with speed skating and skiing being my favorites. For some reason, I am always nervous watching the ice skating, hoping they don't fall. Interested to see the hockey team play without the pros.

Yeah, I don't want to see the pros in the Olympics.

Reactions: TN Lion
I watch it and appreciate it. I like the stuff like the Biathlon and Cross Country skiing since you see it once every 4 years. I must say I don’t care for the stuff that is more X games but I understand that the younger demographics like this more than the traditional downhill, etc.

I’m fascinated with curling too. I watch that too even though I have no clue.

Maybe it’s because I’m old, but I enjoy greatly watching stuff I’ve never done and will never do.

IMO, I don’t get the attitude of people dumping on the Winter Games. These participants are the essence of competition in sports that you don’t get rich at but they still have unlimited passion for.

Plus, the highlight will be the women’s hockey. This rivalry is more intense than the Iron Bowl and “The Game.” Both teams say gold medal or bust and anything less than gold is a failure. It’s going to be spectacular.

Last edited:
I watch it and appreciate it. I like the stuff like the Nordic and Cross Country skiing since you see it once every 4 years. I must say I don’t care for the stuff that is more X games but I understand that the younger demographics like this more than the traditional downhill, etc.

I’m fascinated with curling too. I watch that too even though I have no clue.

Maybe it’s because I’m old, but I enjoy greatly watching stuff I’ve never done and will never do.

IMO, I don’t get the attitude of people dumping on the Winter Games. These participants are the essence of competition in sports that you don’t get rich at but they still have unlimited passion for.

Plus, the highlight will be the women’s hockey. This rivalry is more intense than the Iron Bowl and “The Game.” Both teams say gold medal or bust and anything less than gold is a failure. It’s going to be spectacular.

I'm kind of like you I like the more "traditional" events. Down Hill skiing. I still remember the run that Franz Klammer had. LOL. I like the Bob Sled and I think the luge is just crazy. I like speed skating.
Never have been a fan of any of the figure skating stuff.

Sam McGuffie, former PSU target, is on the bobsled team.

*This* Sam McGuffie? Mauti cleaned his clock on this return...

Michael+Mauti++-+Penn+State.jpg

Reactions: A2Nit

Anyone watching? I'm watching Switzerland kick the crap out of Korea in women's hockey (6-0 near the end of the 2nd period). As I understand it, defections are included in Korea's box score. :eek:

While I'm not too excited about the WINTER. OLYMPICS. :eek: , I will watch women's figure skating (for obvious reasons), men's and women's hockey, and some of the skiing. You?

I like alpine skiing, snowboarding, speed skating (short is so fun and insane to watch), figure skating, hockey, and when you're half awake/half asleep, nothing is more fun to zone out to than curling.

homan-rachel-171203-1180.jpg

I enjoy almost all of it, love the Olympics.

Also don't get why people don't like the pros playing in hockey. Why do you want to see the best in the world in every event except that one? Was anyone bothered watching Usain Bolt because he was pro and making millions? No, it's the Olympics, it should be the best in the world, otherwise what's the point.

Reactions: Tri-Power65
I can’t relate to most of these athletes. Other than hockey, I just don’t follow these sports. I realize the athletes train extremely hard and are the best USA can offer, but I just don’t know many names. Lindsay Vonn or Shawn White are probably the only names I can think of. (now McGuffie, who from that picture above, probably made the decision right then to transfer to a school (Rice) where he had no chance of playing against Mauti again!).

Also, we in America have made it too political. So, I won’t be glued to the TV the next week or so.

Love the Winter Olympics.

Do we have any Penn Staters competing for Team USA Hockey?

The winter games are made for TV. Spectacular scenery, and most of these sports I've never done and will never do or could do. Awesome (literally). I'll be watching when I can.

Reactions: A2Nit and Nitwit97
Short track speed skating is stressful! All in, I enjoy most of it. Particularly the “traditional” events.

It'll be interesting to watch the studio show. Will Mike Tirico (Syracuse alum and Michigan fanboy) be able to stop himself from sexually harassing Katie Couric or any other woman in Korea? Maybe he'll make a run at the chubby DPRK leader's sister.

I enjoy almost all of it, love the Olympics.

Also don't get why people don't like the pros playing in hockey. Why do you want to see the best in the world in every event except that one? Was anyone bothered watching Usain Bolt because he was pro and making millions? No, it's the Olympics, it should be the best in the world, otherwise what's the point.

Watching the pros playing hockey, you can see for 80 some games every year and then the playoffs. When the US amateur hockey team beat the Russian pros that one year, it became one of the most heralded sports feats in history. That level of excitement will never happen again.

Reactions: step.eng69
Watching the pros playing hockey, you can see for 80 some games every year and then the playoffs. When the US amateur hockey team beat the Russian pros that one year, it became one of the most heralded sports feats in history. That level of excitement will never happen again.

Nope, it won't, so I'd rather just see the best play for their countries.

I like watching the best soccer players in the world all year with EPL and Champions League, but I think the World Cup would be dumb if it was all amateurs instead of those same pros playing for their countries.

Reactions: LionJim

I always watch the biathlon in addition to some other events. ABC back in the day did an Olympic story on the origins of the biathlon. Fascinating stuff about the ski patrols of Norway and a couple of other countries.

Didn't see anyone mention it, but pretty sure they are showing the men's downhill live tonight in primetime. That might be my favorite event. Good TV night including the wrestling match.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
I can’t relate to most of these athletes. Other than hockey, I just don’t follow these sports. I realize the athletes train extremely hard and are the best USA can offer, but I just don’t know many names. Lindsay Vonn or Shawn White are probably the only names I can think of. (now McGuffie, who from that picture above, probably made the decision right then to transfer to a school (Rice) where he had no chance of playing against Mauti again!).

Also, we in America have made it too political. So, I won’t be glued to the TV the next week or so.
I know, I long for the days when we acted like the Russians and Chinese and just let the athletes compete on a fair and level playing field and don’t think of it as a national pride thing - we could learn a lot from these two Countries about sportsmanship.

I always watch the biathlon in addition to some other events. ABC back in the day did an Olympic story on the origins of the biathlon. Fascinating stuff about the ski patrols of Norway and a couple of other countries.
Yeah the fins pretty much kicked the Russians asses.

I know, I long for the days when we acted like the Russians and Chinese and just let the athletes compete on a fair and level playing field and don’t think of it as a national pride thing - we could learn a lot from these two Countries about sportsmanship.

That’s some pretty quality sarcasm right there Clark. #icarus. #turtlesoup

I like to watch the hogs "going at IT", oh, that's the Bloomsburg Fair, my bad.

Just watched some short track racing and it looked like one of the skaters got pushed by another. They should have given that guy a 2 minute penalty.
I was waiting for them to drop the gloves!! That sport is organized chaos. You basically have to not worry about breaking rules and just push your way to the front.

I'm watching the Men's Slope Style event. Crazy stuff. Granted, I could do that, but I choose not to.

ADVERTISEMENT