ADVERTISEMENT

Why in the f*ck would you go into the ocean, on a surfboard, & look like a floating seal to a shark

Hey Glov- planning your summer vacation to Cali? Apparently over 300 great white sharks living off the coast, a 35% increase over the past 10 years. Who’s up for some surfing or spear fishing? ;)

Time to cull the heard by 250 or so!!

Reactions: psu00
:)
check my PSU bros yellow 263 in the background. He sold it a week ago and bought a gorgeous 2014 A25. Don’t you rock a Cobalt?
The 250 must be a newer model of Cobalt. I've heard of a 252, but never a 250. I have a 246 myself. Love it, but one of these days I'll have to spring for a newer model. Ever since Malibu bought out Cobalt, the price of new Cobalts has gotten really steep.

Yes, let's all jump off the boat, in the ocean, and go for a nice swim!

What could go wrong??

:eek:

See video above sir.
I saw that last year. Crazy video of them shooting at the shark not far from the swimmers. They appeared to be taking their time getting out of the water. I’d have been out of there in a flash! ;)

Reactions: TheGLOV

Makova Alla

May 18, 2018 ·
vrjazzagency.com
Australian fisherman Arnold Pointer saved a female white shark from death two years ago, liberating from the net. He has one problem today - the shark follows him everywhere!
Arnold says: ′′ As soon as I stop the boat, she comes to me, turns on my back and let me scratch her belly and neck, while she, as a cat rolls her eyes, smoothly rocks and wags her tail, moves the fins ".

Great Whites also migrating...if that’s the correct use of the word...to the NC coast. I’ve been trying to buy jet skis since Christmas with no luck. Maybe a hidden blessing.

Great Whites also migrating...if that’s the correct use of the word...to the NC coast. I’ve been trying to buy jet skis since Christmas with no luck. Maybe a hidden blessing.
Newsweek

Seven Hammerhead Sharks Circle Florida Beachgoers in Shocking Video​

Ed Browne 12 hrs ago

Florida beachgoers were recently left shocked after multiple hammerhead sharks swam right by their floating raft.
a shark swimming in blue water: A hammerhead shark pictured swimming near Daedalus Island, Egypt, in May 2017. The animals are associated with their characteristic head shape.
© Alexis Rosenfeld/Getty A hammerhead shark pictured swimming near Daedalus Island, Egypt, in May 2017. The animals are associated with their characteristic head shape.
Three women—Lacey Faciane, Casie Thompson and Qyuston Eubanks—were lounging in the water off a beach near Pensacola, Florida, over the Memorial Day weekend.
Jacqueline Lesso, who was on a nearby boat, spotted a number of the sharks swimming nearby and began shooting video.
Footage shows at least four of the sharks gliding through the water, their dorsal fins slightly above the surface. At one point one of the huge fish appeared to be just feet away from someone wading through the water.

Hammerhead Sharks Spotted Circling Florida Beachgoers

The three women floating on the raft could only watch as the events unfolded. One reacted by laughing.

Faciane told Fox10 News she and the rest of her group were near the shore at the time, in water that was around knee- or waist-deep.
She said the close encounter with the animals was "an awesome experience" and that the sharks left after they had swum around their boat.
She added: "Usually you have to pay for that and we didn't have to pay for that."
The women told Fox10 there appeared to be seven sharks in total, though it may be hard to keep count in the footage.
The animals appeared to be hammerhead sharks, as their characteristically shaped heads were visible underneath the water.
Hammerhead sharks have mostly been described as a fairly small species of shark, though some can grow up to 20 feet in length and weigh up to 1,000 pounds.
The wide-set eyes of hammerhead sharks give them a better visual range than many other species of shark, and they can also find prey by detecting the electrical fields they generate.
A 2020 study, involving computer analysis of all eight hammerhead shark species, found the animals' heads may provide greater maneuverability than others, which could help them capture prey. At the same time, the scientists found the heads were also associated with greater drag than that of typical sharks.
There are several types of hammerhead shark. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) states that great hammerhead sharks are considered dangerous and rank seventh in unprovoked attacks on humans.
Meanwhile, the scalloped hammerhead shark is considered very shy—so much so that scientists can have trouble studying them—and are unlikely to show aggression towards people, according to Oceana.
The Florida Shark Museum states that in 2020 there was a worldwide total of 57 confirmed unprovoked shark bites—lower than the 2015-2019 average of 80. At the same time, there were 10 unprovoked shark-related fatalities—higher than the annual global average of four unprovoked fatalities per year.

My brother has done big wave surfing at Mavericks in No. Calif and Pt. Concepcion in Central Calif. Undoubtedly has seen his share of sharks. Still possible that he unintentionally exaggerated. However, whatever he saw was big.

On a separate note today, my 19-year-old son came back from a white water rafting trip in W. Va and had a nasty spill in high rapids where he was about 20 yards away from being sucked into an underwater cave which would have been really bad.

There are risks to very many things.

Shark Attacks In Orange County: How Likely Are They To Happen?​

Ashley Ludwig 2 hrs ago
http://a.msn.com/01/en-us/AAKXshJ?ocid=sf
https://twitter.com/share?url=http:...rer=http://a.msn.com/01/en-us/AAKXshJ?ocid=st

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...-military-power-kcna/ar-AAKXviV?ocid=msedgntp
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/ne...unami-bombed-america/vi-AAKXzPR?ocid=msedgntp
ORANGE COUNTY, CA — It's beach season in California, and fairly or not (hint: not), some people imagine they’ll be bitten and killed by a shark.
a fish swimming under water: Fewer than 10 people are killed annually by sharks, apex predators that are important to the health of the ocean. There have been shark attacks in California, dating back to 1924, but researchers suggest fear of sharks is misplaced.
© Muhammed Bin Zakaria/Shutterstock Fewer than 10 people are killed annually by sharks, apex predators that are important to the health of the ocean. There have been shark attacks in California, dating back to 1924, but researchers suggest fear of sharks is misplaced.
Oh, it does happen.

But not very often. In fact, in Orange County and Laguna Beach, it hardly ever happens.
David Angotti, the founder of floridapanhandle.com, has the statistics to back that up. He’s in the business of booking vacation rentals in the Florida Panhandle and by extension, chasing away travelers' fears about being attacked by sharks while kayaking, snorkeling or just enjoying the surf.
“Hey,” Angotti says, his voice thick with a Tennessee drawl, “a coconut falling and hitting me on my head is more likely to cause my death at the beach than a shark attack.”
Sharks gained a nasty reputation in box office blockbusters such as “Jaws” and others casting the apex predators as villains. With their serrated, dagger-like teeth, they do look menacing — and that image alone can fuel galeophobia or the fear of sharks.
As phobias go, the likelihood of this one playing out is fairly unreasonable. The sharks don’t really want to eat you. And if they did, they’d swim upward and scoop you up in a single bite, rather than nibble to see if you taste good.
For the record, you don’t. There literally are far tastier fish in the ocean.
Read: Shark Sighting Off Capo Beach Sparks More Curiosity Than Concern
But don’t rely on hyperbole. Statistically speaking, the chances you’ll be attacked by a shark are practically zero, Angotti says. And even if you are, your chances of surviving are about 90 percent, according to Angotti’s data.
In the past 30 years, there have been 2,711 shark attacks around the world, with a fatality rate of 10.7 percent, according to data assembled by Angotti and his team.
Angotti’s interactive global map visually depicts when and where each of the 3,000 attacks occurred, along with other interesting facts.
The white fins on the map represent attacks that were survived, and the red fins represent fatal attacks. Each fin can be clicked to view detailed information about the attack and shark species.
Finally, the interactive data section allows users to quickly select custom or pre-filled date ranges and surface interesting data including the most dangerous sharks, where the attacks occurred, and the worst time of day for the attacks.
map
© Provided by Patch
In Orange County ...
There have been a handful of shark attacks off the coast of Orange County recorded since the 1920s. As a whole, the county has seen a total of 6 non-fatal shark attacks and one fatal, offshore attack.
  • Huntington Beach, Tower 16, 2004 - Non-fatal: A surfer suffered a shark attack under unknown conditions.
  • Huntington Beach, 2015 - Non-fatal: A victim was bitten by a Great White shark while surfing.
  • Newport Beach, 1924 - Non-fatal: A victim was bitten by an unidentified shark while fishing.
  • Corona Del Mar, 2016 - Non-fatal: A victim was bitten by an unidentified shark while swimming.
  • Dana Point, 1938 - Non-fatal: A victim was bitten by an unidentified shark while fishing.
  • San Onofre, 2009 - A victim was bitten by an unidentified shark while surfing.
Since the data has been recorded, only one person has died of a shark attack in Orange County, offshore of Newport Beach in 1962 in what was called a sea disaster.
Read: Surfer Killed By Shark Was Former Orange County Student
By comparison, let's look to our north, off the coast of Malibu where a fatal shark attack did take place in the late 1980s ...
There have been a handful of shark attacks off the coast of Malibu recorded since the 1950s. As a whole, the county has seen a total of 7 non-fatal shark attacks and one fatal shark attack.
  • Point Mugu, 1960 - Non-fatal: off the coast, a victim was bitten in a “sea disaster” by an unidentified shark.
  • Deer Creek Beach, 2015 - Non-fatal: a victim was bitten while kayak fishing by a hammerhead shark.
  • El Pescador Beach, 2015 - Non-fatal: a victim was bitten while kayaking by a Great White shark.
  • Broad Beach, 2006 - Non-fatal: a victim was bitten while bodyboarding by a Mako shark.
  • Latigo Point/ Paradise Cove, 1989 - Fatal: A victim died after being attacked by a Great White shark while kayaking.
  • Malibu Beach, 2007 - Non-fatal: A victim was bitten by a Great White shark while body surfing.
  • Topanga Beach, 2012 - Non-fatal: A victim was bitten by an unidentified shark while surfing.
  • Zuma Beach, 1955 - Non-fatal: A victim was bitten by a Thresher shark while surfing.
Since the data has been recorded, only one person has died of a shark attack in Malibu, off Latigo Point / Paradise Cove, when a Great White shark fatally attacked a kayaker.

Sharks Should Fear Us​

If Angotti’s name seems familiar, it’s because he is the creator of the fall foliage peak map, an interactive tool that lets people plan their fall vacations when leaves will be at their most glorious.
Just as that tool helps monetize the smokymountains.com vacation rental business, Angotti hopes the shark attack interactive tool will bring vacationers to the Florida Panhandle.
But it includes data from most coastal states — and a couple of inland locations, too — because for Angotti, the goal is for people to have great vacations whether they book through his company or a competitor’s.
The fatality rate, Angotti says, “is so astronomically low” that he has trouble reconciling it with another statistic: More than 1 million sharks are killed every year, according to a study published in the journal Marine Policy.
In large part, the sharks are dying due to a practice called “shark finning” wherein the fins are removed for fin soup, considered a delicacy, and the shark, profusely bleeding, is thrown back into the ocean, where it is unable to properly swim and either suffocates or dies of blood loss, according to the Smithsonian Institution.
The issue goes beyond cruelty.

Sharks On The Brink Of Extinction​

Shark populations are down 71 percent since the 1970s, putting three-fourths of shark species at risk of extinction, according to a study that looked at 31 species of sharks and rays that live in the open ocean and was published earlier this year in the journal Nature.
Nuno Queiroz, a marine ecologist from the Research Center in Biodiversity and Genetic Resources, told Science the study, which he wasn’t involved in, offers “the first big picture” of the rate of declines of sharp population and “gives you an idea how pervasive the fishing as been.”
In fact, more than three-fourths of oceanic shark and ray species are now threatened with extinction under the Red List criteria of the International Union for Conservation of Nature.
The study and the IUCN’s grave predictions about shark survival underscore that humans are greater predators of sharks than sharks are of humans.
As a practical matter, the risk of a shark attack is nearly zero, Angotti says. His data shows people are about 50 times more likely to die from a lightning strike than from a shark attack, and about 10 times more likely to die from a fireworks accident than from a shark attack.

Such a BS article!

'Mistaken identity" on the sharks part! HAHAHAHAH!

Did they interview the shark before they went to print?

its called mistaken identity but that's exactly what it is. The shark thought the boy was something else. It bit and then went on its way. If the shark "attacked" there the boy wouldnt stand a chance and had been immediately killed. Sharks have zero interest in eating people

its called mistaken identity but that's exactly what it is. The shark thought the boy was something else. It bit and then went on its way. If the shark "attacked" there the boy wouldnt stand a chance and had been immediately killed. Sharks have zero interest in eating people
No way in the world can I support your "Sharks have zero interest in eating peolple" statement.

If that were the case and since *modern* shark's have been around for a 100,000 years or so, makes you wonder if people eaten by sharks on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th bite actually knew they shark made a mistake.

An apex preditor is driven by hunger and don't give a rats-ass about "eating all the right foods!"

Last edited:
Well, I wouldn’t say zero interest. Clearly humans are not high on their list but they’ll eat whatever they want if hungry.

There’s a reason all these people on shark week who tell you sharks are misunderstood creatures and not a real danger or interested in humans still go down in shark cages. ;).

No way in the world can I support your "Sharks have zero interest in eating peolple" statement.

If that were the case and since *modern* shark's have been around for a 100,000 years or so, makes you wonder if people eaten by sharks on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th bite actually knew they shark made a mistake.

An apex preditor is driven by hunger and don't give a rats-ass about "eating all the right foods!"
youll be hard pressed to find an incident where someone is bit a 3rd 4th 5th time. its 99% a once and done. Plus dont confuse "bitten" and "eating"

Well, I wouldn’t say zero interest. Clearly humans are not high on their list but they’ll eat whatever they want if hungry.

There’s a reason all these people on shark week who tell you sharks are misunderstood creatures and not a real danger or interested in humans still go down in shark cages. ;).
yeah there is a reason for that. Sharks do not like divers and their bubbles. The cage puts you on hooka usually and you can get much closer and for pictures and videos in general. specifically great whites. i dive weekly with with bulls, lemons, tigers, silky, sandbars, hammerheads and NEVER in a cage AND with a crate of dead fish. Ive been to Guadalupe in the cage and would love to dive with a great white outside of the cage but if you dont know what you are doing I wouldnt recommend it.

Also another note. Its TV. Most of those people in cages are your special guest/celeb BS. Who do you think is filming them in the cage? Its someone outside the cage with the sharks

go on my IG @thesharkjunkie and you'll see close ups of all the above I mentioned.

go on my IG @thesharkjunkie and you'll see close ups of all the above I mentioned.

I appreciate your postings above but I am of the firm belief that THAT is all bunk.

So, 3000 years ago sharks still killed humans by mistaken ID??

Now why, just why would lifeguards order people out of the water if HUMANS are NOT the preferred food of choice to a shark?

A real head scratcher!

I mean, what's an accidental bite between friends anyway?

Poor sharks, so misundertood!

;) :) :eek: :) ;)

Reactions: dailybuck777

How to stay safe in the water​

The National Park Service has issued eight tips to follow to stay "shark smart" at the beach:

1. Stay aware
  2. Stay close to shore
  3. Stay in a group
  4. Avoid areas with seals
  5. Avoid areas with schools of fish
  6. Avoid murky water
  7. Limit splashing
  8. Follow signs, flag warnings, and lifeguard instructions
If you notice a shark in the water, immediately let a lifeguard know, the NPS says. Do not reenter the water until you are told it is safe to do so.

but then why are they not trying to eat me? How is it i can safely interact with them then?

You don't need to safely interact with them.

They are an apex predator in the ocean sir.

Watch some other 'fools'-used loosely interact with them via video.

Either that or hope that a great big pod of killer whales is nearby to save you and warn-off the shark from you (his) lunchtime meal.

Last edited:
You don't need to safely interact with them.

They are an apex predator in the ocean sir.

Watch some other 'fools'-used loosely interact with them via video.

Either that or hope that a grat big pod of killer whales is nearby to save you and warn-off the shark from yu (his) lunchtime meal.
Glov, I think you ought to get off your high horse and end this cruel uninformed crusade against sharks 🦈. How many sharks do you personally know? Have you ever once been interested enough to spend a year or so migrating with them from the Southern to the Northern Hemisphere and back? Have you ever once broken blubber with them at a dead whale carcass feast? Have you ever spent a day dodging fish hooks and nets?

For eons sharks have struggled mightily to cleanse the Worlds oceans of refuse. What’s their reward you ask (well actually you didn’t ask, but I have to include that as part of the post). People constantly throwing their garbage and sewage into the seas from boats and beaches. How would you like it if people were dumping their garbage on your property ( well perhaps they are, and thus your anger). Frankly I don’t know what goes on at your place.

Anyway returning to the subject at hand, Shark attacks on people are just their way of saying “get off my lawn”. You do realize that sharks can’t talk to us as effectively as dolphins, porpoises or whatever the hell they’re calling flipper these days. How do you expect them to get our attention other than by eating a few of us? Once again, please reconsider your position and thank you in advance for your expected cooperation.

Glov, I think you ought to get off your high horse and end this cruel uninformed crusade against sharks 🦈. How many sharks do you personally know? Have you ever once been interested enough to spend a year or so migrating with them from the Southern to the Northern Hemisphere and back? Have you ever once broken blubber with them at a dead whale carcass feast? Have you ever spent a day dodging fish hooks and nets?

For eons sharks have struggled mightily to cleanse the Worlds oceans of refuse. What’s their reward you ask (well actually you didn’t ask, but I have to include that as part of the post). People constantly throwing their garbage and sewage into the seas from boats and beaches. How would you like it if people were dumping their garbage on your property ( well perhaps they are, and thus your anger). Frankly I don’t know what goes on at your place.

Anyway returning to the subject at hand, Shark attacks on people are just their way of saying “get off my lawn”. You do realize that sharks can’t talk to us as effectively as dolphins, porpoises or whatever the hell they’re calling flipper these days. How do you expect them to get our attention other than by eating a few of us? Once again, please reconsider your position and thank you in advance for your expected cooperation.

I think I'll order the shark-fin soup please!

;) ;) ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT