ADVERTISEMENT

Why in the f*ck would you go into the ocean, on a surfboard, & look like a floating seal to a shark

People

Man Survives Great White Shark Attack in Northern California: 'I'm Probably the Luckiest Guy in the World'​

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/t...collapse-in-surfside/ar-AALBjYV?ocid=msedgntp
Nemanja Spasojevic had swam along the beaches of San Mateo County on numerous occasions without incident — until over the weekend, when he was bitten by a Great White Shark.
a person posing for the camera: kpix
© Provided by People kpix
The San Francisco resident, 38, was searching for crabs at Gray Whale Cove State Beach when he felt a sharp pain and then a push.
"It felt very quick, almost like a mosquito bite," he described to KPIX. When he looked down, he was face-to-face with the shark that had just sunk its teeth into his leg.
Spasojevic made his way back to the beach where, limping and bleeding through his wet suit, he called out to a nearby fisherman.
"I yelled at the fisherman, 'Hey! Help! Shark attack!'" he told the news station. "It took some time to get his attention, but once he saw me I just kind of dropped onto the sand."
a person posing for the camera: Nemanja Spasojevic was searching for crabs at Gray Whale Cove State Beach when he felt a sharp pain and then a push
© kpix Nemanja Spasojevic was searching for crabs at Gray Whale Cove State Beach when he felt a sharp pain and then a push
Luckily, Spasojevic did not suffer serious injuries, though the bite did leave 10 puncture wounds in his leg. He also still has a slight limp from the incident.
a view of water and a mountain in the background: Cal Fire CZU Gray Whale Cove State Beach
© Provided by People Cal Fire CZU Gray Whale Cove State Beach
RELATED: Student Captures Shocking Video of the Second Largest Shark Species: I 'Thought it Was a Whale'
While the situation was scary, Spasojevic told KNTV that he felt fortunate the shark wasn't as aggressive as it could have been.
"He didn't thrash my leg. Gentle bite, let go," he said, adding: 'If it was not gentle, I wouldn't be here standing."
Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free weekly newsletter to get the biggest news of the week delivered to your inbox every Friday.
After being treated at San Francisco General Hospital, Spasojevic was able to go home to recover.
"I['m] probably the luckiest guy in the world, to get hit by a great white and walk out of the hospital the same day," he said.
Video player from: YouTube (Privacy Policy, Terms)
David Ebert, program director for the Pacific Shark Research Center, told KNTV that sharks are not in the water searching for humans to eat, and that in this case, the creature likely mistook the man for a seal.
RELATED: Lobster Diver Says He Was Briefly Trapped 'Completely Inside' Mouth of Humpback Whale: It 'Tried to Eat Me'
"[Humans] are not on the menu. We occasionally have shark incidents like we did today, but it's generally very rare," Ebert said. "In the case of surfers, they probably can't make out exactly what it was. They know there is something there, but doesn't have the same type of vibe that a seal does. It's probably a lot of times where you see the bite and spit. Where the shark will bite the surfer and let it go. It's probably more of an investigatory action."

"A gentle bite" LOL!!!

Parasailer attacked by shark in Red Sea. The shark came out of the water to take a chunk out of his leg.

I’m sure Glov is quickly cancelling his summer parasailing trip as we speak. 😉

• Wow
Reactions: TheGLOV
Parasailer attacked by shark in Red Sea. The shark came out of the water to take a chunk out of his leg.

I’m sure Glov is quickly cancelling his summer parasailing trip as we speak. 😉

But, the poster above said such bites/attacks were accidental!

I'm so confused!!

They don't call it the RED SEA for nothing!!

Appropriately named.

Reactions: psu00
But, the poster above said such bites/attacks were accidental!

I'm so confused!!

They don't call it the RED SEA for nothing!!

Appropriately named.

and I stand by that. This is on that operator not the shark. He should not have dangled that persons bare foot in the water like that. Of course the shark came up and bit it!!!! thought it was a fish. They were basically kite fishing with some guys foot!!! theres a reason I am covered head to toe with no skin showing when I dive with sharks. I prefer that dont confuse my angle or wrist or hand for a fish. They go after the contrast.

and I stand by that. This is on that operator not the shark. He should not have dangled that persons bare foot in the water like that. Of course the shark came up and bit it!!!! thought it was a fish. They were basically kite fishing with some guys foot!!! theres a reason I am covered head to toe with no skin showing when I dive with sharks. I prefer that dont confuse my angle or wrist or hand for a fish. They go after the contrast.

Good points.

To show 'em the Big Balls I Possess. And with determination and wits (a knife) who knows, who comes out on top.

It’s Glov’s favorite time of the year. 3 days until Shark Week! 🦈

This is great information for you to know Glov. The next time you’re walking 🚶‍♀️ on the beach 🏖 and come across a 🦈 victim bleeding 🩸 to death 💀 you will be able to explain to him what type of 🦈 bit him. No more embarrassing mumbling about how maybe it was a bear 🐻 or an alligator 🐊 or whatever ever the hell else triggers you at that time.

• Haha
This is great information for you to know Glov. The next time you’re walking 🚶‍♀️ on the beach 🏖 and come across a 🦈 victim bleeding 🩸 to death 💀 you will be able to explain to him what type of 🦈 bit him. No more embarrassing mumbling about how maybe it was a bear 🐻 or an alligator 🐊 or whatever ever the hell else triggers you at that time.

I'll also reassure the shark bite victim that it was an ACCIDENTAL bite and that the shark didn't really mean it and is very sorry that you are about to bleed out and die!

I'm sure the person lying there will appreciate it or go into shock anyway!

Reactions: Thomas1945
  • Haha

Two Bull Sharks Swam Up the Mississippi River All the Way to St. Louis​

Isaac Schultz 2 hrs ago
http://a.msn.com/01/en-us/AAMcm4f?ocid=sf
https://twitter.com/share?url=http:...rer=http://a.msn.com/01/en-us/AAMcm4f?ocid=st

Why is South Korea developing an Israeli-style Iron Dome?
Bull sharks are coastal creatures, but at least two of the animals were able to make it as far inland as St. Louis by swimming up the Mississippi River, according to a team of researchers who looked at the shark’s fossil record and reported sightings over the years.
a fish swimming under water: A bull shark in Thailand in 2014.
© Image: Wikimedia Commons A bull shark in Thailand in 2014.
The research duo—Ryan Shell, a paleontologist at the Cincinnati Museum Center and Nicholas Gardner, a librarian at WVU Potomac State College with degrees in ecology and evolutionary biology—scrutinized hundreds of reports of sharks in the Mississippi River and compared those historical records with archaeological and paleontological evidence for bull sharks moving in those waterways in the distant past. Their results were published in the journal Marine & Fishery Sciences.
“I believe Ryan mentioned something like ‘hey, bull sharks can go up the Mississippi,’ and my first thought was, ‘bull****,’” Gardner wrote in an email.
a view of a city: St. Louis, Missouri, abuts the Mississippi River.
© Photo: Daniel SLIM / AFP (Getty Images) St. Louis, Missouri, abuts the Mississippi River.
The sharks are known to make forays into freshwater beyond the African, Asian, Australian, and American coasts they inhabit, and the fossil record holds evidence of bull sharks in the river, but not in its upper basin. Some teeth are found inland, but not in natural fossil beds and in association with teeth from other species, suggesting they may have been traded inland.

No sightings are documented before the turn of the 20th century, but Shell and Gardner found two confirmed bull shark catches in the historical record: One in 1937, in Alton, Illinois, and another just outside of St. Louis in 1995. The 1937 shark was an 84-pounder and about 5 feet long, according to contemporary reporting by the Alton Evening Telegraph, which said the fish got stuck in a fisherman’s seine. The 1995 specimen was retrieved from the screen of a power plant intake canal, according to a 2004 report on the waterway’s ecology; the same report ascribed both the 1937 and 1995 events to waif, or accidental, one-off wandering fish.
Besides those, the sighting record is littered with incomplete or erroneous reports, which often were parroted from news source to news source. These piggybacked sightings made up the majority of the reports Shell and Gardner examined.
“Anybody with computer access can make an authoritative looking website, and if someone doesn’t do the due diligence they need to do, boom, misinformation slips in,” Gardner said. “We dealt with the biology side as best we can, now I’m curious about what drives hoaxes, misidentifications, and more.”
The lack of bull shark fossil evidence in freshwater deposits could mean that the sharks’ venturing into freshwater is a relatively recent development in their behavior. More likely, the researchers believe, occasional ventures into the freshwater have been a habit of the creature for millions of years, but it’s just not been seen in the fossil record. Their third theory is that venturing into the Mississippi is so uncommon for the fish that the two caught specimens can be viewed as anomalous events.
Whatever the ancestral case, Gardner is hopeful that environmental DNA (called eDNA for short) can help scientists figure out just how common the behavior is. eDNA allows biologists to sample water, soil, and even air to learn what organisms live in that environment, based on the microscopic amounts of genetic information that fall off animals as they move through their habitat.

Lifeguard possibly bitten by shark on Long Island​

Mon, July 26, 2021, 11:46 AM

The lifeguard reported a possible shark bite on his left calf that measured about an inch and said he saw a fin in the water. Police responded and swimming was immediately suspended at the beach.

first of all salt water sucks not to mention besides sharks there are so many other things in the ocean that can kill you screw that!!

When we were at Carolina Beach last week, the water got really clear for a day. I realized my watch was reflecting as I was bobbing in the waves. I hurried up and put it in my pocket. Don't need that attracting sharks.

Best Fast Food is seal sushi off the coast of South Africa. Just disguise yourself as shark and join the feast.

• Haha
When we were at Carolina Beach last week, the water got really clear for a day. I realized my watch was reflecting as I was bobbing in the waves. I hurried up and put it in my pocket. Don't need that attracting sharks.
Barracudas are famous for that. Alot of times its blamed on a shark too but good call. You dont want that shiny stuff when in the water like that.

Funny thing is that shark in the photo is a local celeb to Jupiter. Her name is Snooty and shes honestly one of the friendliest sharks. I have hundreds of photos of her and spend loads of hours with her. She has a jaw defect that makes her teeth stick out like that.

Another idiot surfer!
You could try to be a little nicer to my brother. I would suggest that when the Board shuts down, you set up a website or blog to keep all of this going. Be sad to waste all of the education and knowledge about sharks and the ocean that you have provided to this point.

• Wow
Funny thing is that shark in the photo is a local celeb to Jupiter. Her name is Snooty and shes honestly one of the friendliest sharks. I have hundreds of photos of her and spend loads of hours with her. She has a jaw defect that makes her teeth stick out like that.
snooty-honorable-mention-portrait.webp

Snooty has her own FB page:

link here

You could try to be a little nicer to my brother. I would suggest that when the Board shuts down, you set up a website or blog to keep all of this going. Be sad to waste all of the education and knowledge about sharks and the ocean that you have provided to this point.

Your brother is a great guy buck.

I just wish he'd pick up painting or drawings is all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT