ADVERTISEMENT

who should replace Rutgers in the B1G?

I think that there will either be a conference realignment 2022/2023 where conferences expand and some are collapsed and teams are redistributed (Big 12) or everyone stays the same. So lets look at what has the best chance of happening. The only conferences that has teams that would add multi sport value to any conference are the Big 12 and the AAC unless the Pac12 shuts down and I dont think we are there yet. So back to the Big 12 and the AAC

Big 12 teams that the BIG can choose from and who they may target and are better than Rutgers

Tier 1
1. Texas-obvious reasons
1A. Oklahoma -Obvious reasons

Tier 2
Texas Tech- solid program with a footprint in Texas. Not texas but best next choice. Big state school
Oklahoma State-another solid program , will never be Oklahoma but would compete in the BIG West
Both Schools add something to the table
West Virginia- Actually a natural fit for for the BIG. If the BIG can swallow the academics could be a great addition. Would be a natural rival for PSU, MD and Rutgers

Tier 3
Kansas- great basketball program football blows and small state with no population growth. Academics are solid but really does not add to the BIG
Kansas State- Better overall athletic program but still is in the same state as Kansas

The rest
Baylor, TCU, Iowa St Adds nothing

AAC Very few fits the academic "Standard" but several teams would add athletic value and are better than Rutgers

Tier 1
Navy-Academics as good as anyone in the BIG and solid in several sports and adds a national following
Temple- already plays like a BIG team not terrible academics and has solid sports other than football. But the BIG has a PA team already
Central Florida- Huge university, very solid athletic programs, increasing academics and Florida footprint. Could be a problem for teams in the BIG especially if they end up in a Power 5 conference
Houston- Another huge state school with tons of talent in a large TV area.

Tier 2
Memphis- not too far from many of the BIG schools and has fantastic football and basketball. Pretty solid TV market and is near tons of football talent Academics would need to improve
East Carolina- Big state school , academics have gotten better the past decade, located in a growing state. School supports athletics. Possibly one of the best venues for football in NC with access to some of the best talent in the state. This could get the BIG into NC
Cincinnati - good school with good athletics would fit but Ohio State will not let this happen
UCONN- really just its location but other than that ugh terrible

the rest
SMU, Tulsa, Tulane, South Florida- South Florida is about the best from this lot but lags behind CFlorida so these schools do very little

Thing is if there is an expansion the SEC and ACC will be looking at the same schools for expansion

Last edited:
Virginia cannot separate from Va Tech and I agree with people about Syracuse and West Virginia being bad fits. So is UConn and Randy @sshole Edsall.

Boston College would bring in all New England into the viewing area. UMass recently went to D-1 and has 23,000+ undergrads at the Amherst campus. They too would bring in New England viewers but would need to make the kind of commitment to building a program that Rutgres seems unwilling to make.

forVirginia cannot separate from Va Tech and I agree with people about Syracuse and West Virginia being bad fits. So is UConn and Randy @sshole Edsall.

Boston College would bring in all New England into the viewing area. UMass recently went to D-1 and has 23,000+ undergrads at the Amherst campus. They too would bring in New England viewers but would need to make the kind of commitment to building a program that Rutgres seems unwilling to make.

Talk to anyone knowledgeable about the ACC, and they will tell you that adding BC was a huge mistake. It brought nothing to the conference economically. Same would hold true for ZooMass.

Reactions: Bob78
UConn, they got a raw deal. Name a more dominant mens and womens bball program over last 20 years. 4 titles by men, 10 by women. Football is horrendous but no worse that Butgers. Lots of Uconn grads in NYC area plus pull some Mass/Boston folks for TV.

Clearly the only answer is Pitt. They already have;
1. An administration dedicated to excellence in football.
2. A large and supportive fan base.
3. A future hall of fame coach already on board ready to dominate the BIG.
4. A big time stadium in excellent condition due to the fact that it only receives wear and tear on Sundays.

Reactions: 81b&w
The Big XII is the only conference with less than 12 schools. And after Texas and Oklahoma is basically a bunch of misfits as far as football goes. If major realignment happens, this is the conference I'd bet would disappear. It already lost Missouri, Nebraska, Texas A&M and Colorado.

They are also the conference without it's own network.

Now that the Big Ten has Rutgers, Penn State and Maryland, maybe it should consider Syracuse, Boston College and West Virginia to get more of that all Eastern Sports Conference flavor JoePa had in mind. Pitt and Temple I believe were the other two that would have made the eight school conference. But that would require the ACC to probably fold into the SEC, so not likely to happen.

4. A big time stadium in excellent condition due to the fact that it only receives wear and tear on Sundays.

Stop it man. You're killing me!!!!! :D

Cornell although I know they'd never give up the prestige of being in the Ivy League. But since we're dealing in wild scenarios, why not the Big Red?? Academics are outstanding and they have a broad based and competitive athletics program which would mesh nicely with the Big Ten. However they would need to invest a massive amount of money to bring football into FBS.
Lol. Why not. They are considered the stepchild of the Ivies anyway.

and I live in Ithaca. I’m all for it!! Lol

Vandy has won the national championship in baseball twice in the last six seasons (including this past season). I'm not sure this comparison holds up other than in football. Heck, even in football, Vanderbilt has had 9 win seasons this decade.

I

If your point is that Vandy > Rutgers, I concede the point :) Vanderbilt is a great school, and it competes well in some non-revenue sports. I think most fans see the conference as a sports conference, although I know the B1G bristles at the idea.

How about Kent State? I hear they’ve outgrown the MAC. Apparently, they’re going to give us an ASS. BEATING. :eek: next season.

I'm with Anthony Fiset:

Anthony Fiset: The JoePa Statue
If Rutgers ever leaves the Big Ten, either voluntarily or by force, it would be long overdue. However, I suppose the conference would be obligated to find a replacement for its unwanted bastard child. Though the perfect replacement is not another school but a statue — the JoePa Statue. Once it comes out from its secret hiding spot and gets dusted off, the statue will be in perfect shape to replace Rutgers’ pathetic athletic program in the Big Ten. It may not be easy for a statue to win in any athletic endeavor, but surely a bronze statue with a concrete base can do better at preventing a team from scoring 50 points than the Scarlet Knights’ Swiss cheese defense.

Kutztown!
Ring boloney once, ring baloney twice. Kutztown, Kutztown, cheese that's nice.

I think that there will either be a conference realignment 2022/2023 where conferences expand and some are collapsed and teams are redistributed (Big 12) or everyone stays the same. So lets look at what has the best chance of happening. The only conferences that has teams that would add multi sport value to any conference are the Big 12 and the AAC unless the Pac12 shuts down and I dont think we are there yet. So back to the Big 12 and the AAC

Big 12 teams that the BIG can choose from and who they may target and are better than Rutgers

Tier 1
1. Texas-obvious reasons
1A. Oklahoma -Obvious reasons

Tier 2
Texas Tech- solid program with a footprint in Texas. Not texas but best next choice. Big state school
Oklahoma State-another solid program , will never be Oklahoma but would compete in the BIG West
Both Schools add something to the table
West Virginia- Actually a natural fit for for the BIG. If the BIG can swallow the academics could be a great addition. Would be a natural rival for PSU, MD and Rutgers

Tier 3
Kansas- great basketball program football blows and small state with no population growth. Academics are solid but really does not add to the BIG
Kansas State- Better overall athletic program but still is in the same state as Kansas

The rest
Baylor, TCU, Iowa St Adds nothing

AAC Very few fits the academic "Standard" but several teams would add athletic value and are better than Rutgers

Tier 1
Navy-Academics as good as anyone in the BIG and solid in several sports and adds a national following
Temple- already plays like a BIG team not terrible academics and has solid sports other than football. But the BIG has a PA team already
Central Florida- Huge university, very solid athletic programs, increasing academics and Florida footprint. Could be a problem for teams in the BIG especially if they end up in a Power 5 conference
Houston- Another huge state school with tons of talent in a large TV area.

Tier 2
Memphis- not too far from many of the BIG schools and has fantastic football and basketball. Pretty solid TV market and is near tons of football talent Academics would need to improve
East Carolina- Big state school , academics have gotten better the past decade, located in a growing state. School supports athletics. Possibly one of the best venues for football in NC with access to some of the best talent in the state. This could get the BIG into NC
Cincinnati - good school with good athletics would fit but Ohio State will not let this happen
UCONN- really just its location but other than that ugh terrible

the rest
SMU, Tulsa, Tulane, South Florida- South Florida is about the best from this lot but lags behind CFlorida so these schools do very little

Thing is if there is an expansion the SEC and ACC will be looking at the same schools for expansion

"..unless the Pac12 shuts down..."

stopped reading after this.

And we should bring in the Washington Generals for basketball only too - would make for an easy two wins. While you are at it, why doesn't the B1G add Alabama and Georgia too?

I’m sure the Washington Generals would not be an easy win for Penn State.

You forgot that they have one national championship and eight fake ones.

When it was 13-7 heading into the fourth quarter on Saturday, the thought popped into my head that this thread would taste like cheap wine (doesn't age well) if we didn't start playing better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT