ADVERTISEMENT

who should replace Rutgers in the B1G?

Syracuse blows, but they'd be preferable. At least they'd help the conference for basketball purposes.

Does Seton Hall have a football team? They're probably better.

One of the SUNY teams?

Or better yet.......kick Maryland to the curb, go back to 12, and realign the divisions a bit.

Doesn't the B1G payout $56MM to each of its members (which will likely only grow). Why would Rutgers ever consider getting out? It's like Vandy in the SEC. Not going to compete for championships, but no way you can walk away from that $$.

Doesn't the B1G payout $56MM to each of its members (which will likely only grow). Why would Rutgers ever consider getting out? It's like Vandy in the SEC. Not going to compete for championships, but no way you can walk away from that $$.

The question you need to ask is why would the rest of the B1G keep them?

Army. Trips to Met Life or Michie Stadium every other Fall. Easy road trip in an area filled with alumni and other fans.

Would love to see a Service Academy get the big time conference money that they could spend on whatever they need.

Plus, it would keep the Midwest mafia happy in being able to charge the entire state of NY for BTN cable fees.

Other possibilities-
1. Boston College (good for hockey too).
2. West Virginia (they don’t belong in B12 and it would highly irritate the Pitt folks ;)).

None of this is feasible, I'm sure. But if I were King, my preference would be to swap out, or trade, Rutgres and Maryland for Virginia and Va. Tech of the ACC. (let those 2 problem children stay with the relatives down south for a while). The ACC would not want to lose those two, of course.

Still King, the ACC would jettison Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, and BC to the American Athl. Conf. They'd get Rutgres and Maryland, contracting by two teams net. Pitt, Cincinnati, Louisville, BC, Syracuse, Memphis, Houston, etc.... let the city-based universities unite and create their own bragging rights rivalries with each other. The AAC is already set up that way more or less, and this would give the AAC the P6 designation they covet.

Every conference would play 8 conf. games, 2 games vs. other Power confs, and 2 games vs. Group confs but those must be approved by me (still The King, no end in sight) to ensure viable competitiveness. No New Mexico State playing at Clemson, for example. Nope. App. State... that's ok.

It's good to be the King. It's like having your own little Festivus every day, but something is actually done to resolve the grievances!

None of this is feasible, I'm sure. But if I were King, my preference would be to swap out, or trade, Rutgres and Maryland for Virginia and Va. Tech of the ACC. (let those 2 problem children stay with the relatives down south for a while). The ACC would not want to lose those two, of course.

Still King, the ACC would jettison Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, and BC to the American Athl. Conf. They'd get Rutgres and Maryland, contracting by two teams net. Pitt, Cincinnati, Louisville, BC, Syracuse, Memphis, Houston, etc.... let the city-based universities unite and create their own bragging rights rivalries with each other. The AAC is already set up that way more or less, and this would give the AAC the P6 designation they covet.

Every conference would play 8 conf. games, 2 games vs. other Power confs, and 2 games vs. Group confs but those must be approved by me (still The King, no end in sight) to ensure viable competitiveness. No New Mexico State playing at Clemson, for example. Nope. App. State... that's ok.

It's good to be the King. It's like having your own little Festivus every day, but something is actually done to resolve the grievances!
I agree with VA and VA Tech but the CFP committee has shown that they don't care about strength of schedule so why make our schedule harder? Rutgers and Maryland are just about guaranteed wins. No need to make it tougher when our schedule now is a gauntlet.

Cornell although I know they'd never give up the prestige of being in the Ivy League. But since we're dealing in wild scenarios, why not the Big Red?? Academics are outstanding and they have a broad based and competitive athletics program which would mesh nicely with the Big Ten. However they would need to invest a massive amount of money to bring football into FBS.

Reactions: jtm78
I agree with VA and VA Tech but the CFP committee has shown that they don't care about strength of schedule so why make our schedule harder? Rutgers and Maryland are just about guaranteed wins. No need to make it tougher when our schedule now is a gauntlet.

Please show proper respect to the King. Do not argue the King's points with logic or other non-King speak.
Penn State will somehow find a way to win 12 games each season, win the B1G, and sneak into the Invitational.
It is so written.

Reactions: gslachta
Please show proper respect to the King. Do not argue the King's points with logic or other non-King speak.
Penn State will somehow find a way to win 12 games each season, win the B1G, and sneak into the Invitational.
It is so written.
Delany is King. You are clearly an imposter. ;)

Delany is King. You are clearly an imposter. ;)

Pffft. Delaney is the Ass-king. As in, he is ass-king me to let him have an intern-level job in sports somewhere in Indianapolis. He's in line to be the next mascot at IUPUI for off-campus events. He's the Jag-off.

With me as King, that $60mm and the bowl money from 2012-13 is already back where it always belonged. (And the PSU BOT looks and acts a lot different, too!)

Texas and Notre Dame but it would never happen.

I would have liked Mizzou joining the B1G. I forget what the story was that they didn't join, but I think they were under consideration for a while a number of years ago.
ND is a slam dunk, imo. Hate 'em or love 'em, that would solidify the B1G like no other. But I think that train left the station and ain't coming back.

Reactions: KCLion
The question you need to ask is why would the rest of the B1G keep them?

The better question is how long will the RU administration/NJ Taxpayers continue to subsidize RU Athletics and how long will the major boosters continue to throw money at a football program that has shown zero ability to be competitive? Apparently its biggest booster was unable to convince his fellow Board of Governor members to go the extra mile to get Schiano.

If you believe published reports, RU subsidized its Athletic's Dept to the tune of $47M in fiscal 16/17 which included $12M of loan proceeds against future conference payouts. Since Barchi became president, RU Athletics had been subsidized $193M through that fiscal year. I don't think that's sustainable for administrators looking to keep their jobs.

Short of significant revenue increases, it's possible RU may be forced to abandon football sometime in the decade of the 2020's.and keep just the Olympic sports.For a myriad of reasons,I don't see anyone coming in and being highly successful turning the program around. Accordingly, I think the survival of RU football rests with the next RU president and the political climate in NJ, not the Big Ten presidents. .

It's only a matter of time- who should get in?
Nobody should replace Rutgers but why is that our closing game? It's certainly not a rivalry game. Why can't we play them mid season before we play OSU or Michigan. That would give us a chance to rest players almost like a bye week.

Alternatively make them our opening game in 2021 instead of Wisconsin. WTF is up with that?

Rutgers and Maryland were the two greatest mistakes of the Big 10... in terms of football....

They have no recruiting basis at all. The very same recruits are being courted by PSU, OSU and UM all of which are in the very same DIVISION. How is that going to work out for them?

Maybe they will hang on because of basketball...... Don't know.

I would have liked Mizzou joining the B1G. I forget what the story was that they didn't join, but I think they were under consideration for a while a number of years ago.
ND is a slam dunk, imo. Hate 'em or love 'em, that would solidify the B1G like no other. But I think that train left the station and ain't coming back.

Mizzou wasn't up to academic snuff. Aside from their journalism school, they are pretty much a diploma mill.

Notre Dame would be the perfect fit but that's unlikely anytime soon as long as they have NBC. Outside of ND I'd love VaTech or UVA.

Reactions: Sharkies
Hard no to Syracuse. They are a small private school that doesn’t bring the NYC market, and the school is really on the down slope academically and athletically. Upstate NY is shrinking rapidly, and kids from the NE are more and more likely to head south for college.

Virginia is the only school I would go after that had a reasonable chance of joining. Great academics and good in most sports and very good in a few.

This is not true.

Curious, who’s who (PSU or MIZZOU)? Based on average incoming SAT scores.

Average 25th Percentile
Math
629 580
Reading + Writing 618 580
Composite 1247 1160

Math 610 550
Reading 622 570
Composite 1232 1120

Curious, who’s who (PSU or MIZZOU)? Based on average incoming SAT scores.

Average 25th Percentile
Math
629 580
Reading + Writing 618 580
Composite 1247 1160

Math 610 550
Reading 622 570
Composite 1232 1120

no_cherry_picking.adfda5eac93f86b7cec2b96e433a4fe6.jpg

Hard no to Syracuse. They are a small private school that doesn’t bring the NYC market, and the school is really on the down slope academically and athletically. Upstate NY is shrinking rapidly, and kids from the NE are more and more likely to head south for college.

Virginia is the only school I would go after that had a reasonable chance of joining. Great academics and good in most sports and very good in a few.

so are we, if you hadn't noticed

Mizzou wasn't up to academic snuff. Aside from their journalism school, they are pretty much a diploma mill.
The academic reason is a smokescreen and really means very little as to conference membership. But if you must, if Penn State continues on its academic decline it may not be "worthy" if this is indeed a meaningful criterion which again, it isn't.

Last edited:
So, if the ESPN 150 years of CFB is to be believed (and I have no reason to think it's not), ND wanted to join the Big Ten in the early 20th Century was was rejected, and so Rockne got the idea to play games in big media markets (NYC, Chicago, LA) to get publicity for ND.

Reactions: Bob78
Nobody should replace Rutgers but why is that our closing game? It's certainly not a rivalry game. Why can't we play them mid season before we play OSU or Michigan. That would give us a chance to rest players almost like a bye week.

Alternatively make them our opening game in 2021 instead of Wisconsin. WTF is up with that?
Seriously, this again?

It's like Vandy in the SEC. Not going to compete for championships, but no way you can walk away from that $$.

Vandy has won the national championship in baseball twice in the last six seasons (including this past season). I'm not sure this comparison holds up other than in football. Heck, even in football, Vanderbilt has had 9 win seasons this decade.

Short of significant revenue increases, it's possible RU may be forced to abandon football sometime in the decade of the 2020's.and keep just the Olympic sports.

Isn't a big part of their problem the debt from building their stadium? I don't think that goes away if they drop football. Other than debt (and maybe paying off failed coaches), I bet their football program makes money. And I don't think they are getting a full share from the B1G yet. Let's ride this train out and see where it derails. That would be more fun than just hitting the brakes.

Agreed on ND. Stanford would make a nice addition and bring the BTN to the west coast. They are also excellent in many sports and academically highly selective.

Agreed on ND. Stanford would make a nice addition and bring the BTN to the west coast. They are also excellent in many sports and academically highly selective.

Why not merge the Pac 12 and B1G into one mega conference? Add Texas and Notre Dame to the Pac 12 side. 4 divisions, playoff games in Tempe and Indy. Championship Game in the Rose Bowl. Rose Bowl winner goes to the CFP against the winner of the Sugar Bowl or Orange Bowl (SEC / ACC winner).

Divide up the Big XII whatever way you want. After Texas and Oklahoma, there isn't much left anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT