ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Penn State's defense suffocates Rutgers in 61-46 win

If we could shoot, we’d have a comfortable lead…then again, if Rutgers could shoot, so would they.

Rutgers goes to the line 13 times, yet I have the “Bushwood of Rutgers” behind me going nuts at the 15 fouls that weren’t called on us…good times.
I’m sure Purdue fans were pissed about all the fouls that weren’t called against NW, even though Purdue shot 46 free throws and NW shot 8.

Reactions: BOSCO2
Forgot to mention, Q did a great job defensively on Cliff that half…he took him out of the game, and didn’t pick up a foul. I’m sure Pike will be looking to feed him in the second half, but we need to keep aggressively doubling since don’t have much to hurt us from deep.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Forgot to mention, Q did a great job defensively on Cliff that half…he took him out of the game, and didn’t pick up a foul. I’m sure Pike will be looking to feed him in the second half, but we need to keep aggressively doubling since don’t have much to hurt us from deep.
The ways things go for us, Rutgers will likely come out and shoot the lights out from three

Ace with 5 steals so far. He's the difference.

Rutgers has some players playing that would be sitting the bench on our Saturday AM pickup games at the H.S. 20 years ago ... PSU really should win this game if they keep up the pressure and make a few shots.

Nice to see Brown getting some minutes but he needs to keep improving as he's not living up to his billing so far.

Rutgers was 1-17 from 3. They missed half of their FTs and they didn't rebound. They were horrible.

PSU was less horrible. Wahab had a nice game, Puff made his FTs, and Hicks bricked a 3 that somehow fell.

Reactions: bison13
I wasn’t able to watch the game until after halftime so I started the recording from the beginning. I’m glad I didn’t check in with this expert commentary before making that decision. Some of you guys should have followed Shrews to Notre Dame. You’d be more accurate.

Missed the game but pretty stunned we win by 15 on the road. I thought we would be winless on the road so this is a nice surprise. I know Rutgers is one of the bottom B10 teams but so are we.

Rutgers clearly could not throw it in the ocean from the beach but I would like to think we played strong defense which contributed to the win.

Reactions: psu1969a
Ace played great, going all 40 on a night that we really needed it. There were a couple of times where Rutgers made a run and Ace scored or made a great play to settle things down…but Wahab was my player of the game. He really neutralized, if not outplayed a really good big. Cliff was totally off his game and out doubles caused him so many problems. We left a lot of shooters open and gave up some pretty easy layups that they missed, but it’s not like we played our best game either. Too sloppy, didn’t hit much from outside, let them get to the line too much, yet still won comfortably.

I haven’t seen a lot of games and am certainly not a basketball expert but the TEAM looked better without Cleary. Instead of every one standing around watching him drive to the basketball all game they actually worked the ball around. Lots of movement which led to more aggressive rebounding. And that energy played out on defense leading to lots of turnovers.

He is a very good player but in games past they relied on him too much. Hoping this gives the other players confidence and encourages a more balanced offensive approach.

Rutgers was 1-17 from 3. They missed half of their FTs and they didn't rebound. They were horrible.

PSU was less horrible. Wahab had a nice game, Puff made his FTs, and Hicks bricked a 3 that somehow fell.
You are the dark cloud behind every silver lining. LOL

Reactions: BOSCO2
I haven’t seen a lot of games and am certainly not a basketball expert but the TEAM looked better without Cleary. Instead of every one standing around watching him drive to the basketball all game they actually worked the ball around. Lots of movement which led to more aggressive rebounding. And that energy played out on defense leading to lots of turnovers.

He is a very good player but in games past they relied on him too much. Hoping this gives the other players confidence and encourages a more balanced offensive approach.
Note that our offense ended up with pretty bad numbers last night, and that game was really won at the defensive end. We’d rarely win with that offensive performance, but holding them to so little at the other end will get us a win every time. Rutgers has a lot of weaknesses on offense, but Rhoades deserves a lot of credit for taking advantage of them and not letting them beat us inside.

Just a suggestion for Richie. Please don't put game results or scores in game threads until well after the game is over. Game results can be put on the home page if people want to find it. But some folks can't watch the game live and would still like to go to the message board before they have a chance to watch the game on DVR.

Reactions: Lion_Backer
Just a suggestion for Richie. Please don't put game results or scores in game threads until well after the game is over. Game results can be put on the home page if people want to find it. But some folks can't watch the game live and would still like to go to the message board before they have a chance to watch the game on DVR.
I always watch on DVR. If we're playing bad I can just blow through the bad parts. Sometimes games are tough to watch, especially if you have to sit through all of the time outs and media breaks and halftimes. It's the only way to fly.

I disagree that they are better without KC. That said, I agree that there are lessons to be learned from his absence and maybe some others can take a step forward offensively. Really like Dunn’s potential, for example.

maybe but the answer is not playing without Clary

that will not work for long hope he comes back

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT