Votes: 111 46.8%
  • 174 Hall

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • 184 Brooks

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • 197 Shak

Votes: 4 1.7%

• Total voters
RBY was very impressive, I think if Gross was down after 1, he might have picked top.

I saw a lot of people elsewhere complaining about Gross's inactivity, but I don't get that all. He initiated the first scoring sequence with a (not particularly good) ankle pick attempt that led to a bunch of scrambles until the spladle and reversal. In the third period, he "presented himself," which allowed for 3 or 4 RBY shot attempts, including the last body lock. He did stall once, with about 15 seconds left - but the ref duly warned him and he held his ground at center after that (probably because another stall warning would have sent the match to OT). Certainly Gross didn't shoot very much after the first period, but, eh, he was fine. That may be because he couldn't get the two on one he wanted. Anyway, like I said, the one time he did back away, he got dinged for it, and then stood his ground the last 15 seconds. No big deal.

I thought that was simply a great match, and fairly well officiated one, between two great wrestlers. And yes, it was that close. :)

Stylistically, those two make for a very intriguing match-up. Hopefully RBY blasts DeSanto (or whoever else) in Big Ten semis so we get to see AT LEAST one more battle with Gross.

He won't get caught like that again, and so the end result will be different (IMO, of course). It was 'that close', and I would imagine the confidence and motivation has now been dialed up a notch for RBY. Gross, in the meantime, has to be wondering whether he still has capacity to expand his bag of tricks. He's had to pull quite a few so far this season vs. Rivera, DeSanto, and RBY.

I think Gross somehow needs to develop more offense in neutral if he's gonna beat RBY. As long as he can't get that 2-on-1, he's at a big disadvantage. Of course his strong scrambling will help somewhat - the first scoring sequence began with a not-great Gross shot, but he ended up with a 4-2 lead out of that deal.

Likewise, RBY will somehow have to get cleaner finishes on the tough Badger.

Also, I was surprised it was relatively easy for RBY to get riding time in the 2nd period. Interestingly, there were two stages to that action: immediately after his takedown, RBY kinda just hung around on Gross's left knee until the ref blew it dead. But Gross didn't do much to get him off. After the stoppage, RBY was much more aggressive in his ride, and Gross was forced to settle for the end of the period.

Not to be the village scold, but I believe the kid was 6-14 and the final score was 6-0, so it wasn’t quite as bad as you made it out to be.

Scold away. They deserve it. And I'm going to dogpile on them. Watkins lost 2-5 to Warner.

Watkins is obviously not a top ranked guy but hopefully, as Creek Side said, this will be a confidence booster for Rasheed.

Not to be the village scold, but I believe the kid was 6-14 and the final score was 6-0, so it wasn’t quite as bad as you made it out to be.
Actually it was. It was 3-0 Midway through the 3rd and the kid nearly took shak down. Shak shot one time the whole match and never got close to turning a kid that 14 other wrestlers did easily

I saw a lot of people elsewhere complaining about Gross's inactivity, but I don't get that all. He initiated the first scoring sequence with a (not particularly good) ankle pick attempt that led to a bunch of scrambles until the spladle and reversal. In the third period, he "presented himself," which allowed for 3 or 4 RBY shot attempts, including the last body lock. He did stall once, with about 15 seconds left - but the ref duly warned him and he held his ground at center after that (probably because another stall warning would have sent the match to OT). Certainly Gross didn't shoot very much after the first period, but, eh, he was fine. That may be because he couldn't get the two on one he wanted. Anyway, like I said, the one time he did back away, he got dinged for it, and then stood his ground the last 15 seconds. No big deal.

I thought that was simply a great match, and fairly well officiated one, between two great wrestlers. And yes, it was that close. :)

Stylistically, those two make for a very intriguing match-up. Hopefully RBY blasts DeSanto (or whoever else) in Big Ten semis so we get to see AT LEAST one more battle with Gross.

All except for you don't know what you're talking about in regards to the rulebook, lmao. :rolleyes: The rulebook requires BOTH wrestlers to carry half the offensive action - if one wrestler is wrestling exclusively defensively and not dictating any of the offensive shots/action, they are stalling according to the rulebook. Your notion that all Gross needed to do was "present himself" in order not to be called for stalling is laughable bullshit (as is your notion that someone has to be going backwards to be called for stalling). When one wrestler takes 100% of the shots in a period and the other wrestler is wrestling exclusively defensively, it's stalling as per the rulebook - especially in a 1-point match in a fairly high-scoring, action-packed affair prior to 3rd Period (RBY had riding time going into 3rd). Disgraceful that the Ref allowed "stalling" to dictate the outcome of this match. No way a remotely competent Ref allows stalling to dictate the winner in a match like this in March at NCAAs. Just simply no way a remotely competent Ref allows Gross to stall his way to victory for the entire 3rd period in a match like this -- a 1-point action-packed thriller going into 3rd. The joke of a Ref is calling stalling left-&-right on PSU wrestlers at the drop of a hat (check out 157 match), but allows Gross to intentionally stall his way to victory for the entire 3rd Period in a 1-point, action-packed, high-scoring, highly-contested match going into the final period (i.e., Ref let stalling dictate the outcome of the match)??? I'm afraid you have no clue what you're talking about in regards to the rulebook or remotely competent ("unbiased") officiating.

Most competent Refs would have called the stalling point - and put "Gross on the clock" with their 1st stall call in 3rd much ealier (i.e., done the opposite of rewarding Gross' attempt to stall his way to victory - which the rulebook says is an ILLEGAL STRATEGY and not to be rewarded) and sent the match into TB overtime as a match like this clearly deserved to determine a winner.

Last edited:
Reactions: 82bordeaux
I think Gross somehow needs to develop more offense in neutral if he's gonna beat RBY. As long as he can't get that 2-on-1, he's at a big disadvantage. Of course his strong scrambling will help somewhat - the first scoring sequence began with a not-great Gross shot, but he ended up with a 4-2 lead out of that deal.

Likewise, RBY will somehow have to get cleaner finishes on the tough Badger.

Also, I was surprised it was relatively easy for RBY to get riding time in the 2nd period. Interestingly, there were two stages to that action: immediately after his takedown, RBY kinda just hung around on Gross's left knee until the ref blew it dead. But Gross didn't do much to get him off. After the stoppage, RBY was much more aggressive in his ride, and Gross was forced to settle for the end of the period.
The only thing I’d worry about in avoiding the 2 on 1 is running into an official that sees him shake it 2-3 times and hits him for stalling.

Gross is so damn tricky. He still looks awfully skinny trying to keep his weight down for the trials. Amazing he ever got down to 125. Any chance RBY tries the same thing?

The only thing I’d worry about in avoiding the 2 on 1 is running into an official that sees him shake it 2-3 times and hits him for stalling.

Tying to thwart an opponent from engaging in a "Russian Tie" (i.e., 2-on-1 arm hold from neutral) is not stalling especially when you are pursuing your own Neutral-Offense such as shooting, etc... Typically a Ref will look at a 30 second window - if only one wrestler is initiating all the offensive action, he'll start telling the other wrestler that they need to be more aggressive after 15 or 20 seconds of nothing but defensive wrestling... If the purely defensive wrestler still does nothing and another 15 or 20 seconds go by, that's when they'll hit the wrestler with a first stall (a "warning"). This was my issue with the Ref in RBY v Gross match in 3rd Period - he let way too much time go off the clock in 3rd before hitting Gross with "Warning" call, especially in a match like they were having which was action-packed until the 3rd and RBY had RT Adv (i.e., he was only down by 1 and Gross was clearly trying to back his way into the win via stalling). Most Officials would have hit Gross with the first stalling call (a warning) just under a minute - around 50 seconds, then they would give him 30 seconds to show that he was carrying 50% of the offensive action (i.e., if RBY is super active, which he was, then Gross really needs to pick it up). If the 30 seconds goes by without a true increase in activity, they would ding him for the point which would have tied the match. This would also leave 20 seconds on the clock for each of them to try and "win" the match in regulation (i.e., not stall their way to the win which is not a legal strategy under the rulebook). If neither can score in reg... than they go to TB overtime where one of them will have to do something to "win" the match (i.e., they can't stall their way to victory).

Reactions: KeystoneFlyGuy
I’m a bit out of touch, does anyone know what Rivera‘s status is? Is he coming back, and if so at 133?

I'm not seeing where RBY "avoided" the Russian Tie.

I'm seeing him attacking it, like he did against Phillippi last year. And then seeing RBY shooting repeatedly on Gross.

I’m a bit out of touch, does anyone know what Rivera‘s status is? Is he coming back, and if so at 133?
Good question. If Rivera comes back from injury, Big 10 semis at 133 will be a hoot! Gross, RBY, DeSanto and Rivera. The kid from Illinois is off the radar, but he’s quietly putting together a very good season, too.

Outside of the Big 10, Tucker at Cornell is having a good year. Even with Fix and Suriano taking Olympic shirts, 133 is shaping up to be a pretty tough weight class!

Reactions: diggerpup
I'm not seeing where RBY "avoided" the Russian Tie.

I'm seeing him attacking it, like he did against Phillippi last year. And then seeing RBY shooting repeatedly on Gross.
Maybe I’ll review the match later. Maybe my recollection is off, but I thought I recalled him stepping back after fighting it like 3 times. The only reason I even noted it was I was contrasting it with the tactic he’s used against ADS where he clearly still stands his ground.

Maybe I’ll review the match later. Maybe my recollection is off, but I thought I recalled him stepping back after fighting it like 3 times. The only reason I even noted it was I was contrasting it with the tactic he’s used against ADS where he clearly still stands his ground.
At 4:00 of the video -- Gross hooks up the Russian, tries an inside trip. RBY steps behind him and attacks the inside trip leg. Gross bails.

Tries again at 4:50 of the video -- tried another inside trip with it. RBY stepped back from the trip, and then spun out of it into a shot, but the 1st period ended.

That was the last time Gross attempted the Russian. Mostly kept his distance the rest of the match. RBY pressed the action on feet in the 3rd.

Good question. If Rivera comes back from injury, Big 10 semis at 133 will be a hoot! Gross, RBY, DeSanto and Rivera. The kid from Illinois is off the radar, but he’s quietly putting together a very good season, too.

Outside of the Big 10, Tucker at Cornell is having a good year. Even with Fix and Suriano taking Olympic shirts, 133 is shaping up to be a pretty tough weight class!
Phillippi too -- will almost certainly enter nationals with 1 loss.

No offense, pun intended, to those correctly referencing the rule book.......except this is NEVER enforced. I’ve only been following wrestling a short time compared to most, but nobody ever matched Nico, Nolf, RBY, DeSanto etc.

Maddening, yes. I like to watch guys let it rip. A Verk-man-like victory is still a victory.

RBY and Lee are significantly better this year......great to see. When you penciled in a line-up in Sept and four of those guys are either out or at a different weight, it is amazing where we are........amazing.

VJ vs Bull stylistically is why it’s hard to wrestle like VJ vs Wick. Both have heavy hips, good balance, and are super strong in upper body ties.

I kinda feel like there is a good take in here, but it's a bit jumbly and I don't quite get it. Could you elaborate and help this internet friend along pls?

No offense, pun intended, to those correctly referencing the rule book.......except this is NEVER enforced. I’ve only been following wrestling a short time compared to most, but nobody ever matched Nico, Nolf, RBY, DeSanto etc.

Maddening, yes. I like to watch guys let it rip. A Verk-man-like victory is still a victory.

RBY and Lee are significantly better this year......great to see. When you penciled in a line-up in Sept and four of those guys are either out or at a different weight, it is amazing where we are........amazing.

Don't agree with that... when I wrestled I've witnessed Refs in hotly contested matches like that literally tell wrestlers on the mat in the 3rd Period, "Leading wrestler (i.e., red or green), I'm not going to let you stall your way to the win... You need to pick up your action...". Then hit them for the warning and point if they ignored his warnings. Refs will use the first warning in a match like that to put the leading wrestler "on the clock" in the 3rd. If the leader does nothing but play defense for 30 seconds, Refs will hit them for the point so there's still time on clock for both wrestlers to try and win it in regulation.

Last edited:
I kinda feel like there is a good take in here, but it's a bit jumbly and I don't quite get it. Could you elaborate and help this internet friend along pls?

Sure thing. The bull and cenzo’s wrestling styles pretty much nullify each other. Both are able to score and throw. All 3 of there matches have been won by upper body throws. Wick’s style is different. He uses his length to his advantage and is known for his top game and the use of the cradle.

Right now I am impressed by our top shelf wrestlers who are in top form. Lee, Cenzo, Brooks, Hall, and rby. We have 5 legit finalists which, if we can pull it off, should secure a 3rd or 4th place finish in late March.

Right now I am impressed by our top shelf wrestlers who are in top form. Lee, Cenzo, Brooks, Hall, and rby. We have 5 legit finalists which, if we can pull it off, should secure a 3rd or 4th place finish in late March.

You are truly clueless. If PSU has 5 finalists they'll finish no worse than 2nd. If they have 5 finalists and 3 or more National Champions, they probably win their 9th of last 10 Championships.

You are truly clueless. If PSU has 5 finalists they'll finish no worse than 2nd. If they have 5 finalists and 3 or more National Champions, they probably win their 9th of last 10 Championships.
I can only assume He/she was making a joke....

I was close lol. Can I have a mulligan, I’ve taken more shots tonight than Shak has all year.

And Shak has 71 more collegiate wins than you do. But you should definitely keep criticizing a former AA who dropped down 2 weight classes for the good of the team, and then went up 3 (!) weight classes from there when asked to do so, after coming off a torn ACL. Every team should be so lucky to have a Shak in their wrestling room.

#perspective

And Shak has 71 more collegiate wins than you do. But you should definitely keep criticizing a former AA who dropped down 2 weight classes for the good of the team, and then went up 3 (!) weight classes from there when asked to do so, after coming off a torn ACL. Every team should be so lucky to have a Shak in their wrestling room.

#perspective
Agree. A great kid who is giving his all but just doesn't have it anymore for any and all of those reasons.

I think Cael/VJ have a whole master plan to take down the Bull just like they took down Imar. This last match with Bull was pretty much a repeat of the last two matches against the Bull only this time VJ came down on top of the underhook throws. I expected a much different match with VJ riding the Bull hard and then grabbing some easy takedowns in the 3rd period when the Bull is tired. Watching the way the Bull has been beaten in the past. Watching how VJ just ripped Wick apart yesterday with a completely different style, we know he can change things up easily if he needs to.

I am curious to see if they wait until the NCAAs to switch things up on the Bull or they whip it out at the Big 10s? They have the Bull right where they want him. He lost and now he has that confidence hit that VJ can beat him. He will probably go back to his basics with his strong underhook ties and try the same approach with VJ again BUT the next time VJ changes everything up and the Bull will not know what hit him!! VJ took down IMAR who is twice the wrestler Marinelli is. I have complete faith in VJ and Cael!!!
The thing with AM is he is very, very good and any mistake you make will cost you. Some things you may get away with with another opponent but with AM it's a different animal. I agree that VJ can get some take downs, after all he was on his way to a win in their 1st matchup last year before he tried to go upper body and paid the price.

In all of the college wrestling I’ve watched since it was invented in 2011, I’ve seen two kids work a tilt for a fall:

David Taylor
Spencer Lee
Now I’ve seen it three times.

Informative post while triggering Oklahoma State and Iowa fans, well done!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT