• 174 - Carter Starocci

• 184 - Aaron Brooks

• Everyone

• Just like Mike Evans, I'm not impressed

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cali_Nittany

Jan 5, 2016
The PRC
As with everyone else here, I'm elated to see Penn State wrestling again. And for the most part, it was an entertaining dual. On to the selections:

125 - Robby Howard
A very impressive first win in the Penn State singlet beating Jack Medley who was the only wrestler to keep Spencer from bonusing last season (Spencer did tech him in the rematch).

133 - RBY
Not a great match but anyone who wins should have a spot on the list. It should be noted amongst the several pins of Nic Aguilar this season, Ragusin got his the quickest. Ragusin did a good job moving up a weight against RBY.

141 - Nick Lee
Some points were left on the table here but Nick Lee still looked good.

157 - Brady Berge
Tight match but Brady was clutch at the end against a very defensive wrestler. I had to look up Lewan's record (thank you Wrestlestat) and saw that he's never been bonused.

174 - Carter Starocci
Yuuuge win for Carter! Talk about digging deep and coming up big after what looked like a very cardio grueling 8+ minutes.

184 - Aaron Brooks
I was impressed at how Bullock brought the offense. Brooks had to get out of a couple sticky situations in the first and couldn't quite pull off the MD.

Everyone
The Roar answer

No one
I have to include the Mike Evans, "I'm not impressed" because if I don't do it, El Jefe will.

• Haha
Reactions: Str8DBLz and garw
No one
I have to include the Mike Evans, "I'm not impressed" because if I don't do it, El Jefe will.

mike-evans.jpg

though not on the list and not a winner, i was impressed with bearclaws' grit. had the official been competent, as storr basically stalled the last period and a half, who knows what would happen in ot. great effort, terrell.
I stated this in the match thread as well. If TB takes top in the third, he wins that match. Storr had nothing on bottom and probably would have given up backs or at least stalling points. Despite the outcome, I was impressed by TBs effort.

Was definitely worth the wait to see RoHo (yes you saw it here first) in Blue n White, but cmon man Starocci beat Massa!!

I was late coming home and had just audio for Howard. Check my recording out tonight and it reset from minute 8-12, missing the end of 2nd and all of 3rd period. :mad:

I was super impressed with C*, but had to vote for Robbie.

For his first match I thought he looked great and finished his shots nicely. Plus we had a nine point turnaround at 125 compared to the first few duals. Impressed that he didn’t appear to have first match jitters, and he certainly doesn’t appear to be lacking confidence. Very excited to watch Robbie’s career unfold. Best of luck young man!

A full thread without one comment about HW. So here goes, Parris is really good and our guy is not on the same level.

General observation: Robbie looks like a natural 125#er to me, and that is fantastic. I know a lot of youse have him ultimately replacing RYB at 133 but at this point at least he’d be tiny. Perhaps Robbie is a career 125#er and either SVN or Bouzakis can maintain their current size and replace RYB? NB for one is already built like a brick shithouse. I don’t see him getting much bigger.

I thought the whole team looked pretty good.

More impressed with Robbie Howard closing out the third with that shot to hang on and kill clock than the shots earlier on he converted.

RBY probably would've been better off (for the sake of bonus points) starting catch and release in the second, but it was a boss move to ride Ragusin out for a period because he doesn't typically do that and it was a good challenge. Reminded me of Nolf--another elited non-rider--riding Pantaleo out in Michigan a few years back.

Nick Lee maybe could've positioned himself better for bonus as well, but tough to quibble, he still dominated.

Barraclough did great to keep it close against Storr, who I thought might have had a major there. He's a tall 149 and that length will help him when he gets stronger.

That might've been Berge's best win in a PSU singlet, and the type of win you'd prefer to see from him--winning late as opposed to holding on late.

Joe Lee is fun to watch--every match there's at least one wild exchange. Hard to believe he's Nick's brother because they don't look like each other on the mat at all. I think it's easier to clean up mistakes than teach guys how to react, and he's getting a lot of good experience with the latter right now.

Starocci is such a talent and that was such a great presence of mind reaction to jump on Massa's granby mid-way through and then the skill to lock it down with the legs. And it wasn't a fluky win, he was closer than Massa that entire match.

Like Lee and RBY, Brooks maybe could've had a bonus had that been his sole purpose (though by that point it didn't matter, teamwise), but Bullock was game and wrestled through every position. He'll be fun to watch there, looks like a future podium guy.

Encouraged by both Beard and Nevills for wrestling through--both were outmatched against number ones/twos in weak classes. Beard didn't look quite as gassed as he's looked in the third, but conditioning still looks like it's a thing and probably just going to be a thing. Nevills knee is a concern.

Apparently not a popular view, but I have to go with Barraclough. Needs a bit of muscle, but I think he's going to be outstanding in time.

I think you have to go Starocci because of who he beat, but I’d put Barraclough second

General observation: Robbie looks like a natural 125#er to me, and that is fantastic. I know a lot of youse have him ultimately replacing RYB at 133 but at this point at least he’d be tiny. Perhaps Robbie is a career 125#er and either SVN or Bouzakis can maintain their current size and replace RYB? NB for one is already built like a brick shithouse. I don’t see him getting much bigger.
Steen didnt flip to ride pine, he wont beat RH. To me this is telltale sign ROHO is planning on the jump.

I liked Barraclough’s effort too, but he had the same result as Verk typically achieves against top ten guys—a close loss. Strange to see the praise for Barraclough but gnashing of teeth for Verk. Maybe the thought is that Barraclough has a higher ceiling?

One thing is for sure: 149 will be an exciting battle for a starter. 4 solid dudes with a chance to make noise in the post season!

Reactions: onetime1 and SRATH
Forget one's natural inclination to use transitive theory to wrestler A vs B vs C....... Claw looked pretty good for what I would guess is a non-scholarship RS freshman against a tough, top ten ranked opponent. Ok, current rankings are more like early January in a normal year. TB was in the match and could have won. The BTN announcers were impressed. When you ride a guy for a period at this level, that's is pretty damn good and something I was not expecting.

Maybe the poll is skewed along with my expectations. I expect RBY, NL and AB to be National Champions. I am sure these are their goals and they will make a strong run at them. CStar, I expect to be scrapping with the top guys. Berge, same thing. Howard, he certainly fits the hype for a TF. I would put RH at the top of the folks on the poll as written.

I liked Barraclough’s effort too, but he had the same result as Verk typically achieves against top ten guys—a close loss. Strange to see the praise for Barraclough but gnashing of teeth for Verk. Maybe the thought is that Barraclough has a higher ceiling?

One thing is for sure: 149 will be an exciting battle for a starter. 4 solid dudes with a chance to make noise in the post season!

Verk usually does nothing but defend for 6 minutes and 30 seconds. Sometimes he gets the TD in the last 30 seconds, and sometimes he gives it up.

Barraclough at least showed some attacks, and it’s possible he could have won if he chose top in the 3rd and rode like he did in the second (not that he definitely would have obviously).

I liked beard. With that being his 2nd match , a lot to grow from

if a normal season and he had 7-10 bouts prior , I think he wouldn’t have given up some of those takedowns

Reactions: jtothemfp

RS Freshman vs RS Junior.

There were high expectations for Verk when he was a RS FR as well. The frustration is that after 2 years he seems stuck in neutral, and hasn't been able to turn those close losses into wins

I know CStar beat #2 in the country,but Robbie Howard put a beating on Medley, and Medley is no joke at 125. Howard impressed me most. I have never seen Medley taken down so many times at 125

Howard is from Bergen Catholic!! There are none better!! He is all killa no FILLA! You are looking at at an NCAA champ at 125 once Lee leaves after this year! Nice to have someone actually generate some points at 125 once again! This could be the lynchpin for us winning the NC this year. Howard going deep into the tournament. If we could only have Kirk at HWT we win the NC easily this year! We still win this year but just not as easy without Kirk.

Verk usually does nothing but defend for 6 minutes and 30 seconds. Sometimes he gets the TD in the last 30 seconds, and sometimes he gives it up.

Barraclough at least showed some attacks, and it’s possible he could have won if he chose top in the 3rd and rode like he did in the second (not that he definitely would have obviously).

I like Barra body type for 149. He needs a little more strength but he has those long octopus legs that make for tough rides while he is on top! Cael has a softpots for Mormon kids from Utah! I like the fight in as well. I am fine with ending the VErk experiment. He is never going to the next level. Barraclough can take it to the elite level with more coaching!

As with everyone else here, I'm elated to see Penn State wrestling again. And for the most part, it was an entertaining dual. On to the selections:

125 - Robby Howard
A very impressive first win in the Penn State singlet beating Jack Medley who was the only wrestler to keep Spencer from bonusing last season (Spencer did tech him in the rematch).

133 - RBY
Not a great match but anyone who wins should have a spot on the list. It should be noted amongst the several pins of Nic Aguilar this season, Ragusin got his the quickest. Ragusin did a good job moving up a weight against RBY.

141 - Nick Lee
Some points were left on the table here but Nick Lee still looked good.

157 - Brady Berge
Tight match but Brady was clutch at the end against a very defensive wrestler. I had to look up Lewan's record (thank you Wrestlestat) and saw that he's never been bonused.

174 - Carter Starocci
Yuuuge win for Carter! Talk about digging deep and coming up big after what looked like a very cardio grueling 8+ minutes.

184 - Aaron Brooks
I was impressed at how Bullock brought the offense. Brooks had to get out of a couple sticky situations in the first and couldn't quite pull off the MD.

Everyone
The Roar answer

No one
Right you are. If one looks for effort, that dual was pretty solid. Still plenty to work on.

Reactions: lockhavenlion3
Steen didnt flip to ride pine, he wont beat RH. To me this is telltale sign ROHO is planning on the jump.
But it can’t be next year, because Nick is locked in at 41, so RBY isn’t moving up. And RBY has 2 years of eligibility left after this year doesn’t he?

But it can’t be next year, because Nick is locked in at 41, so RBY isn’t moving up. And RBY has 2 years of eligibility left after this year doesn’t he?
RBY has 2 + aRS
NL has a RS also
Steen will surely need a GS or RS to fill out.

Howard is from Bergen Catholic!! There are none better!! He is all killa no FILLA! You are looking at at an NCAA champ at 125 once Lee leaves after this year! Nice to have someone actually generate some points at 125 once again! This could be the lynchpin for us winning the NC this year. Howard going deep into the tournament. If we could only have Kirk at HWT we win the NC easily this year! We still win this year but just not as easy without Kirk.

You don't think Spencer Lee will come back next year to be the next 4x NCAA Champ? IMHO Lee will be back next season.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Howard barely got passed Michigan’s non top 20 ranked Medly.... I’d wait and see if he can beat some top 10 ranked guys before saying he’s a national champ after Lee graduates...

Howard barely got passed Michigan’s non top 20 ranked Medly.... I’d wait and see if he can beat some top 10 ranked guys before saying he’s a national champ after Lee graduates...

What’s the purpose of this comment? To diminish Howard? To piss on Kid Twist optimism?

Reactions: PSUer1989
You're trying to correct a football board guy, so good luck with that.

But at least don't use irrelevant data. Medley couldn't be ranked at 125 because 2/3 of his matches were at 133.

ADVERTISEMENT