• No one

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Chertow

Votes: 6 4.4%

• Total voters

Cali_Nittany

Jan 5, 2016
The PRC
Tough dual on the road. There was a fair amount of whining by the fans on the thread last night. Some of which was from me regarding Chertow. Hopefully I didnt go too overboard. Anyway, this was actually an entertaining dual despite some questionable officiating and obnoxious stall cheerleading by Manning. So here it goes:

133 RBY
Just like last week, RBY is ice cold under pressure. He got a much needed major (should've been a pin) against a very game opponent.

141 Nick Lee
Wow, I'm sore just from watching his rides. If there was any doubt that he hasn't jumped a level this season, it's gone after his brutalization of Red. If he can perfect the bow and arrow (there might be someone who can help with this), watch out!

165 Joseph
Speaking of jumping levels, Joseph mauled White. One of the most lopsided regular decisions that you'll see. Am I wrong in thinking that White should've been dq'd for stalling? After White's two initial shots at the very beginning, there was absolutely no offensive advancement and face in the mat almost the whole time when on bottom.

174 Hall
Just when you thought Lee and Joseph couldn't be one upped. Hall is making his case for the Hodge and is approaching an 83% bonus rate.

Heavy
With all the pressure of winning the dual for the team, Seth brings it home. Dang good ride! You'll be seeing him climb in the rankings.

Everyone
I also want to recognize the rest of lineup. There were some very close losses. Meredith came up just short. Brooks went up against a very game and motivated Venz. (He'll get him next time.) Shak is looking like he's still working through the rust. (He'll get there.) Pipher kept it close with Robb. Verk got caught but the negativity by some last night was uncalled for.

Noone
The obligatory Mike Evans answer (If I dont include it, El Jefe will remind me).

Chertow
Some people love him so I'll put him on the list.

Up to 2 answers allowed for the poll.

A lot of good performances. Cenzo winning 5-0 over white is the equivalent of an 11 or 12-0 score vs most guys. Snacks, oblivious to the pressure on the road with the Dual win hanging in the balance. RBY with the late major for important points (yes, he was robbed of the pin). One winner is Hall, who once again hoisted the team upon his shoulders and got desperately needed points with the pin against a top guy. So calm and technical. The other is Nick Lee. Red has always wrestled him tough until last night. Nick has indeed jumped levels and it will be really fun to see him vs Pletcher, who also seems to have upped his game.

Reactions: JUBAN and chlion
Yes, definitely one of my votes. I criticized Chertow for calling Lee our best wrestler but he's definitely right behind Hall and Joseph.
Agree, and I can see all three winning a National Title with Lee going thru Pletcher, Joseph thru Marinelli and Hall taking out Kemmerer...just my thoughts...I don’t think anyone else will do it.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Much home-state love and respect for Kem, but this current version of him aint making it to Saturday night. He’s not the Kem of 17/18.
Obviously things can change before nationals, but right now there's a decent chance Kemerer could face a gauntlet of Ben Harvey (2x R12) in Round 2, then Labriola in the quarters, then Kutler in the semis. That's a lot of landmines if he's not absolutely on.

Reactions: nitlion6
This one is easy: Mark Hall.
Agreed.

I think many (including me) have undervalued Hall. He won an NCAA championship his freshman year, but four other PSU wrestlers won NCAA titles that year, and Zain picked up the Hodge. In his sophomore and junior years, Hall lost to Valencia, a supremely gifted wrestler. Meanwhile, Zain and Bo were winning Hodges, and Nolf was setting the all-time PSU pin record (narrowly besting Bo). Nolf and Bo were must see tv. It was easy to overlook and underappreciate Hall. Well, no more. He has been masterful this season, simply a pleasure to watch.

This one is easy: Mark Hall.

Every time the team has needed him to step up and do something extra, he has delivered.

By doing so yesterday, he took that burden off of the true freshman Brooks.
I agree. He is so calm like he knows what the other guy is going to do. Just an awesome all around wrestler

If Marky wins this year he will have went 1-2-2-1. That’s as impressive as a lot of other all-time greats. It’s just as impressive as 2-1-2-1 that DT put together.

Reactions: Ski
I voted before reading the narrative and had intepreted "Everyone" as everyone listed in the poll. Regardless, I couldn't pick just two, as I was impressed with all.

RBY - Endured a big/long 133 to once again show the mental toughness needed to finish out tough matches. A good sign for a shot at a high spot
on the podium.

Lee - Made a really talented redshirt junior look like a freshman. Relentless.

Joseph - Widened the gap against a tough guy that historically gives him
a tough time.

Hall - Dominated another tough guy, then turned the dial to 10, snapping it right off the amplifier.

Nevills - Came up big in a pressure situation against a game opponent. Nails.

Chertow - Took Tim Johnson's breath away!

More impressive, because he didn't shirt and had Zahid at his weight for 3 years.

He was a little a bit older entering college. But yes, going up against another all-time great for 3 years is impressive. If not for Hall, Zahid would be a 4 timer with 1 loss. Unless Brooks pins him at the NCAAs. :)

He was a little a bit older entering college. But yes, going up against another all-time great for 3 years is impressive. If not for Hall, Zahid would be a 4 timer with 1 loss. Unless Brooks pins him at the NCAAs. :)

Bo Jordan, “excuse me, im right here, and can hear every word you’re saying”

Tough dual on the road. There was a fair amount of whining by the fans on the thread last night. Some of which was from me regarding Chertow. Hopefully I didnt go too overboard. Anyway, this was actually an entertaining dual despite some questionable officiating and obnoxious stall cheerleading by Manning. So here it goes:

133 RBY
Just like last week, RBY is ice cold under pressure. He got a much needed major (should've been a pin) against a very game opponent.

141 Nick Lee
Wow, I'm sore just from watching his rides. If there was any doubt that he hasn't jumped a level this season, it's gone after his brutalization of Red. If he can perfect the bow and arrow (there might be someone who can help with this), watch out!

165 Joseph
Speaking of jumping levels, Joseph mauled White. One of the most lopsided regular decisions that you'll see. Am I wrong in thinking that White should've been dq'd for stalling? After White's two initial shots at the very beginning, there was absolutely no offensive advancement and face in the mat almost the whole time when on bottom.

174 Hall
Just when you thought Lee and Joseph couldn't be one upped. Hall is making his case for the Hodge and is approaching an 83% bonus rate.

Heavy
With all the pressure of winning the dual for the team, Seth brings it home. Dang good ride! You'll be seeing him climb in the rankings.

Everyone
I also want to recognize the rest of lineup. There were some very close losses. Meredith came up just short. Brooks went up against a very game and motivated Venz. (He'll get him next time.) Shak is looking like he's still working through the rust. (He'll get there.) Pipher kept it close with Robb. Verk got caught but the negativity by some last night was uncalled for.

Noone
The obligatory Mike Evans answer (If I dont include it, El Jefe will remind me).

Chertow
Some people love him so I'll put him on the list.

Up to 2 answers allowed for the poll.

I 100% agree with your take. This is spot on. There isn't a lack of effort. The fight is there... the battle was there... yeah it's nice to win every match 36-3- but you know this team with all the adversity has really earned a special spot in my heart. I look forward to watching Phifer, and Meredith. They are just really gutsy. I dig it. RBY, Nick, Cenzo and Mark are wrestling as well as I have seen them... It's a process always a process... always improving... as a fan, that's what I'm enjoying... that was a fun match Friday... yup 36-3 would be easier on my blood pressure, but probably not as much fun... Cheers, my friends...

(PS CHERTOW is awful. did do any research on wrestling this year? it didn't sound like it... I feel like 80% of us here would have had more knowledge about 2019-2020 wrestling season, I'm sure he'll get better for the next time...)

Imagine how great he’d be if he had simply grown and gone 1-2-2-1 at 174, 184, 197 and HWT. No one has ever done that.
ESPN would assign a sideline reporter + camera to him at nationals for the next 5 years.

Honestly, I wasn't that worried about Nevills losing, but if our three studs don't get those bonus points on great effort at the end of each match we're in big trouble.

Honestly, I wasn't that worried about Nevills losing, but if our three studs don't get those bonus points on great effort at the end of each match we're in big trouble.

Definitely. The Verk pin was a bit of a bad luck fluke, but for sure put the dual in jeopardy. Markie delivered big time, and saved our chance and big snacks just keeps on rolling.

Despite Seth getting manhandled by Cassiopi in free last year, free is not folk, and that battle may be epic this Friday. I guage it a pretty even 50/50 going in. I will be a homer and pick snacks but given our list of injuries I don't think we can pull in the dual without bonus from most of our studs.

I doubt we see Berge, have no idea who we send at 149, Shak is still a month away, and Cenzo's match is the headliner. If Meredith can somehow keep it to a tech God forbid a major that would be incredible, but Lee is on a collision course with Zahid ( Mark is in the discussion) for the hodge.

I went with Nick Lee. Much like when Zain was here, that kind of face-mush dominance can demoralize a team. Unfortunately we don't have the follow-up this year to keep the momentum going.

Reactions: danoftw
Hard to disagree with David Taylor that Mark Hall has ice in his veins, but Nick Lee has gone full-blown animal. I think Lee, Cenzo and Hall are equally talented and Chertow wasn't necessarily wrong when he suggested that Lee may be PSU's best.

Zahid career 2-0 vs. Jordan.
sure about that.... I thought Jordon got him the one time when Zahid gassed a bit - not at the NCAAs. Will have to look it up
edit - couldn't find it. I stand corrected

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT