ADVERTISEMENT

Who else will leave Cornell with Koll gone?

I agree with you about grey keeping the team together, my question would be what happens to the recruits. I would assume grey had recruited them and they are still committed to him, however they can look to go elsewhere
Not sure about this but it seems logical......

That koll was very much a figure head and schmoozer....grey gets a lot of credit for in room things/development.

Will be interesting what KD does....if he sticks w grey that's a huge signal to recruits and alumni.

Koll w the Stanford alumni support could build a monster.....but it will be important to hire some top flight assistants.

The thought that Koll to Stanford does not result in at least a couple of blue chippers & recruits flipping along with him doesn't resonate.

Give this some more time for the kids to think about it. A degree from Cornell is a pretty in impressive accomplishment, but I think a degree from Stanford even more so.

If any of his kids want to move I am sure Koll can make it happen.

Cael didn't arrive in town with an empty cupboard.

I agree with you about grey keeping the team together, my question would be what happens to the recruits. I would assume grey had recruited them and they are still committed to him, however they can look to go elsewhere
Erik Gibson for example

Actually he was 1 for 3. Right on Koll but wrong on Grey and Nolf.

To be fair he wasn’t really wrong on Grey, and might’ve been the first to say he was getting the Cornell job. Wouldn’t be surprised if he was considering going with Koll. Could’ve been part of the reason they announced him as HC so soon.

Reactions: Dogwelder
The thought that Koll to Stanford does not result in at least a couple of blue chippers & recruits flipping along with him doesn't resonate.

Give this some more time for the kids to think about it. A degree from Cornell is a pretty in impressive accomplishment, but I think a degree from Stanford even more so.

If any of his kids want to move I am sure Koll can make it happen.

Cael didn't arrive in town with an empty cupboard.
A big difference between Stanford and Cornell is that Cornell has athletic scholarships and Cornell does not. Cornell can offer very generous financial aid packages based upon need, no idea if Stanford can do the same or not.

An example, I know someone who was a top recruit in the country in an Olympic sport. Decision came down to an out of state BIG school and an Ivy. The B1G school offered a 30% scholarship, would have been 35K out of pocket. The Ivy offered 14K out of pocket and 7K once the sibling went to college. No brainer where the kid went.

Jason Bryant said Nolf took a Stanford assistant job last year so there obviously is something to the rumors that he would leave for Stanford. Question now is if Koll extends an offer to him and as some pointed out, it might not be the slam dunk some think it is that Koll would.

… it seems logical … That koll was very much a figure head and schmoozer … grey gets a lot of credit for in room things/development.
I am not doubting anything; I just have a question. Who was doing the developing and coaching during the Lewnes era? (That was before the Mike-Grey-as-coach era, right?)

Actually he was 1 for 3. Right on Koll but wrong on Grey and Nolf.
If you want to be technical...he is 1 for 4. Dake isn't at NLWC yet. But what kind of Rap name is "25-75" or "Quarter" Lets go with "Fitty-Fitty" We are optimists.......plus he throws a lot of fits. Sneaky Double Entendre :)

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Actual Definitions:
"Rumblings": I Wanna be first *
"May": I Need to be first *
"Would": I Gotta Gotta GOT to be first*

* There is no verification of said statements. The Author reserves the right to take credit if/when any of these actually occur as well as the right to delete or deflect when untrue. NO criticisms, corrections or Follow-up questions allowed. Violators will be immediately banned. I just need you to like me...........Fitty-Fitty

One job of a leader is to develop their people. I know that is missed on some, for selfish reasons mostly. The idea that Jason, Zain, or anyone else in the NLWC would leave is not so far-fetched. Cael and his staff would not stand in their way, but surely are available for advice. When one thinks about it, organizations are ever-changing, and those that understand that and deal with it, maybe even stay a step ahead of it, are the most successful.

Jason Bryant said Nolf took a Stanford assistant job last year so there obviously is something to the rumors that he would leave for Stanford. Question now is if Koll extends an offer to him and as some pointed out, it might not be the slam dunk some think it is that Koll would.
All part of The Plan in that it gives us a larger presence and leg up on the west coast recruits, 98% of whom who can’t gain admission into Stanford. 😄

Something seems really, really off here. It just doesn't make sense that Koll would leave Cornell. He spent a lot of years building the school up into a national power. And is leaving for a program that was cancelled up until a week or so ago. I get a lot of people were mad that last season was cancelled, but that was an Ivy League decision. Plus why throw away a successful career over 1 year.

Reactions: tabenn
LOL, you must have missed the 10-4 win by Nick Lee over Zain in the OTT. Don’t be silly, nick lee is right there in Freestyle
One win = right there.

One win =/= surpassed. Unless someone wants to argue that Kemerer surpassed Mark Hall last year ... which lasted about a month.

One job of a leader is to develop their people. I know that is missed on some, for selfish reasons mostly. The idea that Jason, Zain, or anyone else in the NLWC would leave is not so far-fetched. Cael and his staff would not stand in their way, but surely are available for advice. When one thinks about it, organizations are ever-changing, and those that understand that and deal with it, maybe even stay a step ahead of it, are the most successful.
Build and develop leadership. Awesome post, as usual, Roar.

Reactions: Fatmarc
Something seems really, really off here. It just doesn't make sense that Koll would leave Cornell. He spent a lot of years building the school up into a national power. And is leaving for a program that was cancelled up until a week or so ago. I get a lot of people were mad that last season was cancelled, but that was an Ivy League decision. Plus why throw away a successful career over 1 year.

I have lived in LA and visited Stanford. My best friend went to Cornell Law. Ithaca is beautiful, but it is insanely cold there from December until March. By contrast, Palo Alto is beautiful every day and right in the heart of a place which is unbelievably beautiful year round. And with Cael 4000 miles away it should be a heck of a lot easier to recruit the elite wrestlers on the West Coast.

His feelings were pretty clear that missing this year was a complete joke. He made no bones about it.

I have lived in LA and visited Stanford. My best friend went to Cornell Law. Ithaca is beautiful, but it is insanely cold there from December until March. By contrast, Palo Alto is beautiful every day and right in the heart of a place which is unbelievably beautiful year round. And with Cael 4000 miles away it should be a heck of a lot easier to recruit the elite wrestlers on the West Coast.

or at least seems like 4000 mikes, wink!

His feelings were pretty clear that missing this year was a complete joke. He made no bones about it.
I get what both of you are saying and don't disagree. It just seems odd, especially when you consider that Stanford wrestling was just axed by the administration. If Koll wanted to leave, he probably could have found something more stable.

I get what both of you are saying and don't disagree. It just seems odd, especially when you consider that Stanford wrestling was just axed by the administration. If Koll wanted to leave, he probably could have found something more stable.
What program is more stable, after all of the money Stanford alumni just poured into the program?

Agree--maybe Koll knows something???

What program is more stable, after all of the money Stanford alumni just poured into the program?
I didn't take that into consideration. And I'll admit I'm not up to date on the specifics of Stanford being back. He must have gotten some sort of guarantee that the program won't be cancelled again, at least while he's there.

comparing 2 different styles.
Fine, I'll stick to freestyle. Did Van Ness surpass Saunders?

The point is still the same: words need to mean something. "Surpassed" means that from here out Nick should beat Zain regularly and that Zain beating Nick would be an upset. Anyone really believe that?

Reactions: Grass
I didn't take that into consideration. And I'll admit I'm not up to date on the specifics of Stanford being back. He must have gotten some sort of guarantee that the program won't be cancelled again, at least while he's there.
Keep Stanford Wrestling raised $12.5M as of 6 weeks ago.

KSW told donors that the pledges were eligible for University matching, which would put the total potentially in the $25M range.

Reactions: PAgeologist
As an aside: there is a Palo Alto PA, on Rt. 61 next to Pottsville ... though probably nobody has called Schuylkill County unbelievably beautiful year round.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT