ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Upsets, Surprises & Scares (2023-24 season)

Bouzakis follows up his win over Nagao by losing to Shawver from Rutgers.

Dylan Shawver (Rutgers) over Nic Bouzakis (Ohio State) (Dec 5-4)
If you watched the match, not earth shattering upset.

After Shawver dancing away for a couple of periods which gave Bouzakis the lead on a stalling point, Shawyer sneaks a TD with under a minute to go. Bouzakis with an immediate reversal to tie it up and then attempts to ride out to send it to OT. They got into a scramble with under 10 seconds to go where Bouzakis almost got back points, but Shawver pops his head out at the buzzer for the winning escape.

Although I've come around on the 3 point TD, this is the kind of match that gives me pause about it. Bouzakis clearly the better guy the whole match but Shawver is able to stall without much impact in terms of the penalty point and gets the win on a split second Bouzakis mistake. If reversals aren't devalued as well, it goes to OT where Bouzakis probably wins.

Again, not against the 3pt TD after initially opposing it, but it needs a tweak. It's not easy to get a reversal and now they often do more to harm than help if you're behind unless they come at the end of a period because of the time wasting.

If you watched the match, not earth shattering upset.

After Shawver dancing away for a couple of periods which gave Bouzakis the lead on a stalling point, Shawyer sneaks a TD with under a minute to go. Bouzakis with an immediate reversal to tie it up and then attempts to ride out to send it to OT. They got into a scramble with under 10 seconds to go where Bouzakis almost got back points, but Shawver pops his head out at the buzzer for the winning escape.

Although I've come around on the 3 point TD, this is the kind of match that gives me pause about it. Bouzakis clearly the better guy the whole match but Shawver is able to stall without much impact in terms of the penalty point and gets the win on a split second Bouzakis mistake. If reversals aren't devalued as well, it goes to OT where Bouzakis probably wins.

Again, not against the 3pt TD after initially opposing it, but it needs a tweak. It's not easy to get a reversal and now they often do more to harm than help if you're behind unless they come at the end of a period because of the time wasting.
Bouzakis was functionally stalling as much as Shawver with all of the kneeling he was doing. I hate that. They need to change the rules so that kneeling in neutral when you’re not even tied up is stalling.

Bouzakis follows up his win over Nagao by losing to Shawver from Rutgers.

Dylan Shawver (Rutgers) over Nic Bouzakis (Ohio State) (Dec 5-4)
Nageo looked like he was wrestling with weights on his ankles against Bouzakis. Really was odd. Almost looked like he was drilling with upper body and ties being instructed. Maybe that's what the scouting report was on Bouzakis. Nageo looked like he was in the 2nd hour of a tough practice.

Nageo looked like he was wrestling with weights on his ankles against Bouzakis. Really was odd. Almost looked like he was drilling with upper body and ties being instructed. Maybe that's what the scouting report was on Bouzakis. Nageo looked like he was in the 2nd hour of a tough practice.
Bouzakis is a Greco guy, so I can't imagine that Nagao was instructed to go upper body with him.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
Bouzakis is a Greco guy, so I can't imagine that Nagao was instructed to go upper body with him.
No , I met that is what they thought Bouzakis (upper body)would want to do. Nageo just didn't seem like he was ready for leg attacks???

Was watching replay of Okie St/Mizzou. Spratley with a 4-1 SV win over Surtin. Good win, but I'm wondering how Surtin is wrestling in a neck brace? Aside from having an injury bad enough to need a neck brace making it not very smart to take the mat, it seems like it would be a competitive disadvantage for an opponent, as collar ties would likely slide off, running a half becomes increasingly difficult, as would spiral rides, front headlocks, etc. Anyone have any other info on this? I vaguely remember Grant Leeth wrestling with one years ago. Maybe a Mizzou thing?

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
Was watching replay of Okie St/Mizzou. Spratley with a 4-1 SV win over Surtin. Good win, but I'm wondering how Surtin is wrestling in a neck brace? Aside from having an injury bad enough to need a neck brace making it not very smart to take the mat, it seems like it would be a competitive disadvantage for an opponent, as collar ties would likely slide off, running a half becomes increasingly difficult, as would spiral rides, front headlocks, etc. Anyone have any other info on this? I vaguely remember Grant Leeth wrestling with one years ago. Maybe a Mizzou thing?

Reactions: OzarkLion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT