ADVERTISEMENT

When does Senior level wrestling start again?

Zain looks way beefier. Bulking to 74 for oly eventually or staying at 70 for worlds opportunities?

Zain looks way beefier. Bulking to 74 for oly eventually or staying at 70 for worlds opportunities?
I have a hard time seeing Zain at 74. My bet is he wants to see what noise he can make on a good feed at 70 for at least the next 2 years, then probably go back to 65 for Oly Trials.

Reactions: diggerpup
I have a hard time seeing Zain at 74. My bet is he wants to see what noise he can make on a good feed at 70 for at least the next 2 years, then probably go back to 65 for Oly Trials.
Yeah that makes sense. I think he looks good, but I don't really know the competition levels of this tourny.

Zain's Semi Starts at 7:43:55
His opponent seemed to hurt his knee on the the classic Zain arm-drag to single. Then, he didn't have much fight for the bow & arrow, conceding the fall.

Has a Bulgarian tomorrow in the finals.

Ramazan Ramazanov is ex-Russian now wrestling for Bulgaria. A couple years ago Ramazanov made the Alans Tournament finals, including a win over the current top Russian 70 kg wrestler (Zherbaev), but he is not currently listed in the Intermat's International FS rankings for 70kg. Should be a pretty good test for Zain.

Rodriguez in a wild match -- down 8-7 after 1.

Rodriguez T2 on a single, then 2 gut wrenches, lost control of the 2nd and reversed to his back -- up 6-2.

Rodriguez on another single but countered into a trapped-arm gut. T2 + 2 tilts for India, then R1 for Rodriguez. 7-6 Rodriguez.

Before restart, India challenges, Scoreboard says "Challenge Lost" which should make the score 8-6 Rodriguez, but instead it's 8-7 India after 1.

Why does Zain even let that move happen. H was riding super high and then gets bumped to his back for four.

Why does Zain even let that move happen. H was riding super high and then gets bumped to his back for four.
I thought that was a terrible call --Zain side headlocked him for what should've been 4 for Zain.

IMO a case where folk hurts, because the international refs had no clue what was actually happening. Plus a lost challenge because the replay official had no clue either.

I thought that was a terrible call --Zain side headlocked him for what should've been 4 for Zain.

IMO a case where folk hurts, because the international refs had no clue what was actually happening. Plus a lost challenge because the replay official had no clue either.
Fair point and Zain is back in control. Looks great. 10-6 Zain is the champ!

Zain 10-6 final on 2 more takedowns + a pushout.

Nowhere near as close as the score. Zain had ALL of the offense. The Russian Romanian had only that questionable 4+1, and another questionable (step out?) point when Zain got out of a go-behind situation.

Weird match, that definitely highlighted some significant contrasts between the 2 styles. Zain gets a classic peel & turn "escape" from rear standing, and gets dinged for fleeing the hold, etc. He seems pretty short for the weight—he’s going to have to watch those crotch and chest lock positions, but his pace and conditioning is still elite.

Anyone catch what it was that had Zain kind of fired up talking to the ref? I didnt' see what the Russian was doing.

Last edited:
Weird match, that definitely highlighted some significant contrasts between the 2 styles. Zain gets a classic peel & turn "escape" from rear standing, and gets dinged for fleeing the hold, etc. He seems pretty short for the weight, but his pace and conditioning is still elite.

Anyone catch what it was that had Zain kind of fired up talking to the ref? I didnt' see what the Russian was doing.
I think he was first trying to argue and explain the bogus 4+1 that the Bulgarian was gifted. Then he was pissed about the Bulgarian head slapping barrage. Ref awarded Zain a point after he said something.

I think he was first trying to argue and explain the bogus 4+1 that the Bulgarian was gifted. Then he was pissed about the Bulgarian head slapping barrage. Ref awarded Zain a point after he said something.
That's what I thought.

Those overhand right "ties" were Rutgers-esque.

Reactions: danoftw and Petch
Bekzod is going to Yasar Dogu. Look like the Uzbek federation is paying his way. Do we have any other 74s going? Any possible NLWC on NLWC crime?

2022 YASAR DOGU INTERNATIONAL – UWW RANKING SERIES EVENT
Feb. 24-27, 2022 | Istanbul, Turkey

U.S. men’s freestyle roster
61 kg: Nico Megaludis(Titan Mercury WC)

61 kg: Daniel Deshazer(Gopher WC RTC)
65 kg: Evan Henderson(Ohio RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
65 kg: Joey McKenna (Pennsylvania RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
70 kg: Jordan Oliver (Sunkist Kids WC)
70 kg: James Green (Southeast RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
70 kg: Anthony Ashnault(Scarlet Knights WC/Titan Mercury WC)
74 kg: Joey Lavallee(Titan Mercury WC)
79 kg: Jordan Burroughs (Pennsylvania RTC/Sunkist Kids)
79 kg: Chance Marsteller(Titan Mercury WC)
79 kg: David McFadden(Pennsylvania RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
86 kg: Mark Hall(Pennsylvania RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
97 kg: Kollin Moore (Ohio RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
125 kg: Nick Gwiazdowski (Spartan Combat RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
125 kg: Hayden Zillmer(Gopher WC RTC)

U.S. women’s freestyle roster
50 kg: Amy Fearnside(Titan Mercury WC)
50 kg: Erin Golston(Wisconsin RTC/New York AC)
53 kg: Dom Parrish(Sunkist Kids WC)
55 kg: Jacarra Winchester(USOPTC/Titan Mercury WC)
55 kg: Sophia Mirabella(Team Tornado WC)
59 kg: Michaela Beck(Wisconsin RTC/Sunkist Kids)
62 kg: Macey Kilty(TarHeel WC/Sunkist Kids)
62 kg: Emma Bruntil(USOPTC/Titan Mercury WC)
65 kg: Mallory Velte(Beaver Dam RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
65 kg: Forrest Molinari(Sunkist Kids WC)
65 kg: Solin Piearcy(Menlo WC)
76 kg: Victoria Francis(Hawkeye WC/Titan Mercury WC)
76 kg: Precious Bell (Titan Mercury WC)

Schedule (8 hours ahead of U.S. ET)
Thursday, Feb. 24
10:30 a.m. – Qualification rounds & repechage (GR 55, 60, 63, 67, 87, 97, 130 kg)
5 p.m. – Opening ceremony (GR 55, 60, 63, 67, 87, 97, 130 kg)
6 p.m. – Medal matches (GR 55, 60, 63, 67, 87, 97, 130 kg)

Friday, Feb. 25
10:30 a.m. – Qualification rounds & repechage (WFS 57, 62, 68, 76 kg; GR 72, 77, 82 kg)
6 p.m. – Medal matches (WFS 57, 62, 68, 76 kg; GR 72, 77, 82 kg)

Saturday, Feb. 26
10:30 a.m. – Qualification rounds & repechage (WFS 50, 53, 55, 59, 65, 72 kg; MFS 97, 125 kg)
6 p.m. – Medal matches (WFS 50, 53, 55, 59, 65, 72 kg; MFS 97, 125 kg)

Sunday, Feb. 27
10:30 a.m. – Qualification rounds & repechage (MFS 57, 61, 65, 70, 74, 79, 86, 92 kg)
6 p.m. – Medal matches (MFS 57, 61, 65, 70, 74, 79, 86, 92 kg)

Reactions: nittinsc
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT