ADVERTISEMENT

Youth Wrestling Tournament Advice

psumacw

Sep 18, 2017
Hey All,

Hoping to get some advice from people who know more than me. I'm taking my 5yo, first year wrestler up to the NLWC Clinic of Champions on 3/2 and I need help deciding which tournament he should compete at the next day.

The first option is the Nittany Lion Wrestling Tournament, which is being hosted at Rec Hall. He'd be in the 6U division and likely in the 50lb bracket weighing 46lb. We're already registered for this one because I didn't know that the other option existed when I signed him up for the clinic.

The second option is the Break The Chains First Year Finale, which is being hosted at the Nittany Valley Sports Center. This tournament is first year wrestlers only and has odd year divisions so he'd be able to wrestle 5U. In addition, they're giving a 1lb allowance so he could be in the 45lb division, depending on how much ice cream we eat on Saturday.

For some additional context, my son is not a hammer. He just wrestled his first tournament ever yesterday. It was a novice tournament and he went 0-2, dropping him to 7-9 on the season. My biggest concern with the NLWC tournament would be that he runs into bigger, more experienced wrestlers and gets pinned in the first period twice and doesn't actually gain anything from the experience. My concern with the FYF tournament is that there won't be enough registrants for his division, they need to combine with another division, and the same thing happens but in a less cool environment.

Does anybody on this board have any experience with either of these tournaments specifically, or any general advice for a first year wrestling Dad? Obviously the focus is on having fun and trying hard and winning doesn't actually matter, but it's hard to do the first two things if you're on your back in under 30 seconds.

Thanks in advance!

Hey All,

Hoping to get some advice from people who know more than me. I'm taking my 5yo, first year wrestler up to the NLWC Clinic of Champions on 3/2 and I need help deciding which tournament he should compete at the next day.

The first option is the Nittany Lion Wrestling Tournament, which is being hosted at Rec Hall. He'd be in the 6U division and likely in the 50lb bracket weighing 46lb. We're already registered for this one because I didn't know that the other option existed when I signed him up for the clinic.

The second option is the Break The Chains First Year Finale, which is being hosted at the Nittany Valley Sports Center. This tournament is first year wrestlers only and has odd year divisions so he'd be able to wrestle 5U. In addition, they're giving a 1lb allowance so he could be in the 45lb division, depending on how much ice cream we eat on Saturday.

For some additional context, my son is not a hammer. He just wrestled his first tournament ever yesterday. It was a novice tournament and he went 0-2, dropping him to 7-9 on the season. My biggest concern with the NLWC tournament would be that he runs into bigger, more experienced wrestlers and gets pinned in the first period twice and doesn't actually gain anything from the experience. My concern with the FYF tournament is that there won't be enough registrants for his division, they need to combine with another division, and the same thing happens but in a less cool environment.

Does anybody on this board have any experience with either of these tournaments specifically, or any general advice for a first year wrestling Dad? Obviously the focus is on having fun and trying hard and winning doesn't actually matter, but it's hard to do the first two things if you're on your back in under 30 seconds.

Thanks in advance!
My experience: my son started wrestling at 10, and did really well in novice tournaments. His second year he was doing even better, then Covid hit. There were no novice tournaments available, but he really enjoyed wrestling, so I entered him in an open tournament. We got there to find that basically all the other wrestlers his age/size were full time club wrestlers (Young Guns, etc.) As you might imagine, that didn’t go well, and that experience killed his love of the sport. Each first-period pin killed another piece of his confidence and enjoyment. He’s just now thinking about getting back into wrestling, but I feel responsible that his natural progression through the ranks took that hit because he loved wrestling and could be a decent wrestler- and still may be.
TL;DR: put him in situations that are most likely to be enjoyable for him based on his experience and personality.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: vhsalum and psumacw
NLWC will be rough, people travel in for that one. I'd keep him in novice.

And just some advice: De-emphasize the outcome of the matches and, instead, focus on attempting/executing moves at each competition. Young kids need to learn how to wrestle before they learn how to win. I'd also hit dual tournaments when you can - lots of matches and team atmosphere are good for moral. You want them loving the sport when testosterone changes their bodies in JH and the hierarchy set in youth is scrambled.

Hey All,

Thanks in advance!

At 5 years old, it's pretty much pot luck. Don't overthink the pound or two or the odd-age thing. Go to whatever tournament works best for you as a parent. He's as likely to get the same experience either way.

If the environment is "cooler" at the NLW tournament as you posted, by all means, go to that one. It really IS about having fun and making friends. That's the best thing you can do for a kid to get and keep him in the sport. At the end of the day, one day they have to make the sport their own - and that's a choice only they can make.

Reactions: psumacw
This is gonna be a hot take and may not be one that many people agree with, but I’d say neither. I know that competing is supposed to be fun, but from a development standpoint physically and mentally I’m not sure 5 year olds need to be entering any tournaments.

Regardless, it’s your prerogative and I don’t think it says anything either way about you as a parent. Just my view on things.

NLWC will be rough, people travel in for that one. I'd keep him in novice.

And just some advice: De-emphasize the outcome of the matches and, instead, focus on attempting/executing moves at each competition. Young kids need to learn how to wrestle before they learn how to win. I'd also hit dual tournaments when you can - lots of matches and team atmosphere are good for moral. You want them loving the sport when testosterone changes their bodies in JH and the hierarchy set in youth is scrambled.
Yup. A big part of “saving” wrestling is making sure it’s not miserable for kids. So much of the sport is mentally and physically exhausting. It makes strong people, but it can also really break people at a young age.

Yup. A big part of “saving” wrestling is making sure it’s not miserable for kids. So much of the sport is mentally and physically exhausting. It makes strong people, but it can also really break people at a young age.
As a parent of a current middle school wrestler this is the challenge...nudge them into practicing most of the year and risk burn out or have them pull back in the off season and risk getting frustrated with the losses. It isn't easy if your kid isn't a phenom or early developer.

As a parent of a current middle school wrestler this is the challenge...nudge them into practicing most of the year and risk burn out or have them pull back in the off season and risk getting frustrated with the losses. It isn't easy if your kid isn't a phenom or early developer.
As others have mentioned above, I think it’s all about setting attainable goals that aren’t necessarily related to match results. Gives them both something to work toward and something to feel good about.

Reactions: psumacw
This is gonna be a hot take and may not be one that many people agree with, but I’d say neither. I know that competing is supposed to be fun, but from a development standpoint physically and mentally I’m not sure 5 year olds need to be entering any tournaments.

Regardless, it’s your prerogative and I don’t think it says anything either way about you as a parent. Just my view on things.

I absolutely hear what you're saying and I agree it's not necessary at this point. If we weren't coming from outside Philly it'd be a lot easier to just do the clinic but I don't want to "waste" a trip to State College by just doing that and coming home.

I'm leaning toward punting the decision for a couple of weeks and potentially deciding on that Sunday since the first year tourney is accepting walk ins. As always, he'll know that winning isn't what would make me proud, but getting out there and giving it his all is what matters.

And if he really doesn't want to wrestle on Sunday, we'll probably just go to the Waffle Shop and hit the women's basketball game before heading home.

Keep it fun! Drives me crazy when I hear about anyone under 12 cutting ANY weight. Focus on progress, not wins, and your kid will keep improving. But I disagree about not entering in competitions at all. Kids develop much faster when they're competing for something. It gives them something to work for. Just don't emphasize wins, encourage them on the good they've done, and help them continue to get better. Whether it is the Novice tournament or the Open, go, have fun, and make a day of it!

I’m in a similar boat with my 5 year old. We did some 6U tournaments and they did not go so well. They typically allow all kids regardless of experience in the first year 6U tournaments, and some of these kids are really good for 6 years old. I was very impressed with how technical some of them were. He did one 5u tournament and that was much better for my kid’s confidence. I think the biggest thing to look at is how many of his friends will also be competing. The fun part is having a buddy to hang out with between matches and cheer on. If it’s only him from his school, it’s not going to be as exciting.

If you enter him, go to the novice tourney. You'll be a lot less likely to deal with a bunch of Marv Marinovich types who push their kids to make the Hall of Fame before junior high.

In case you think I'm exaggerating, this was Stevo Poulin at age 8. Safe to say he started terrorizing children earlier.

rawImage.jpg

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
Hey All,

Thanks in advance!
46? He's got a few weeks left. Have him cut down to 35. Then, change your username to psujws.

As others have mentioned above, I think it’s all about setting attainable goals that aren’t necessarily related to match results. Gives them both something to work toward and something to feel good about.
For that reason, as a former wrestler, wrestling parent, coach in HS and elementary level…..

Wrestle the novice tourney. The NLWC is cool, but in your mind only, not a 5 year old’s head. Win, lose, whatever….the trip should include something a 5 year old thinks is cool….like waffles…since making weight right now isn’t and shouldn’t be a thing. Stop at Game Stop or some museum / science center that has a bug exhibit on the way home.

I once had a 5 year old that lost in 17seconds. He bounded off the mat asking if I saw his Sprawl! I said YES and high fived him as he zoomed away to his parents.

If you are chill he will enjoy wrestling like a kid should. If you are like many many parents…on the edge of Spencer Lee’s mom and Jake Gunning’s dad….he won’t.

Novice for sure. No use getting thrown to the wolves in year 1
You guys know what novice is now right? First 3 years. So at this kids age, it's essentially an open. Novice when I was growing up was first year. Now, first year tournaments are specifically defined.

Reactions: hlstone
If you are chill he will enjoy wrestling like a kid should. If you are like many many parents…on the edge of Spencer Lee’s mom and Jake Gunning’s dad….he won’t.
Jake Gunning's dad shouldn't be at any wrestling tournaments, unless Terry Brands is also there and we finally get to see them fight behind the stands.

Reactions: Cowbell Man
I’m in a similar boat with my 5 year old. We did some 6U tournaments and they did not go so well. They typically allow all kids regardless of experience in the first year 6U tournaments, and some of these kids are really good for 6 years old. I was very impressed with how technical some of them were. He did one 5u tournament and that was much better for my kid’s confidence. I think the biggest thing to look at is how many of his friends will also be competing. The fun part is having a buddy to hang out with between matches and cheer on. If it’s only him from his school, it’s not going to be as exciting.

My son got caught in a Peterson this past weekend in the first year 6U tournament. Luckily the period ran out before he got pinned. No idea if the other team taught that move or the other kid thought it up on the fly, but I was impressed.

I'm lucky my son takes after my wife and can make friends with everyone so I'm hoping he'll find someone to pal around with at the clinic or at the hotel pool.

Reactions: hlstone
my son had to wrestle a girl his first big weekend and she was in her 2 or 3rd year... and executed a Petersen and he lost. His personality persevered through it all and he continued wrestling as his 3rd sport and did ok. But yea, gotta make it fun. My youngest didn't like wrestling as he would get too nervous beforehand. He would take that nervous energy and go maniac but he simply didn't like it enough to stick it out.
Coaching my youth club was all about having fun and taking the good out of anything we do. Had to keep an eye on crazy parents though :)

Wanted to provide a (not so) quick update about the weekend for those following the story.

The Clinic of Champions was great. My son was able to find someone his size to drill with, though they didn't quite follow all of the different cradles DT was showing, but the roving clinicians were doing their best to correct them. He got DT to sign the T page of his Wrestling The Alphabet book, bringing his total to 8 letters signed. We were hoping Bo Nickal and Kyle Snyder would be there to sign the N and K but maybe we'll catch them at trials. He was able to get autographs and pictures with Zain, Jen Page, and Cassar, complete with toothpick.

Quick change of clothes and we were off to Pegula to watch Women's Hockey win the CHA finals followed by Otto's for dinner. As we pulled into the Ramada and struggled to find a parking spot, I worried that we might be stuck with an undesirable room, and boy was I right. We ended up directly outside the indoor pool that was currently being occupies by about 40 children. Another quick change and my son was ready to jump in the pool over and over for about an hour and a half before shower and bedtime.

It was easier than I expected to wake him up at 6am, but he was excited to get to the tournament. He ended up choosing the BTC First Year Finale and I think that was the right choice. We surprisingly ran into a family from our home club outside of Philly; turns out they're PSU people too. My son was one of the first matches and had probably the toughest match of his short career. He got taken down early in the 1st but was able to get out and get a takedown and ride out to end the period up 3-2. Started on bottom in the 2nd period, took a bit longer to escape than the 1st but he did get the point. A little bit of circling before his opponent hits a lightning quick single leg and rides him out. 4-4 into the 3rd. Opponent chooses down and gets a reversal but my son gets another escape to make it 5-6 with about 30 seconds left. My son snaps down and tries to spin around but his opponent grabs a leg and eventually pulls it in, doubles off, and secures the takedown and 2 nearfall to end the match 5-10.

He took it hard. “I wanna go home.” “It’s too hard.” “I want to quit.” Everything I worried about happening. I let him know I was proud of him for trying his hardest but I wasn’t going to let him stop in the middle of the tournament. If he wanted to go out and get pinned so we could go home, there’s nothing I can do to stop him, but he’s got to get his wrestling shoes back on and get back on the mat. The flip switched when he put those shoes back on and he was ready to go.

Unfortunately, his next opponent wasn’t able to get over her fear of the mat and forfeited. My son got his hand raised and a new swell of confidence as he headed into the consi semis. As he's playing ball with some new friends, I couldn’t help but look at his next opponent’s earlier matches. First minute pin and then a decision loss to someone else that had a first minute pin. This could be a disaster.

Match starts, opponent shoots, opponent scores. Down 0-2; not good. My son gets up and out in under 20 seconds; not bad. Opponent shoots again and my son sprawls and spins for a takedown of his own. Locked hands call but my son rides him out and it’s 3-3 after 1. Opponent chooses bottom to start the second. My son puts a good ride on him, every time he gets up, my son puts him back down. For about 50 seconds. Opponent gets a reversal with 5 seconds left in the period to make it 3-5 into the 3rd. We choose bottom and it’s nearly a mirror of the 2nd period except this time the man on top gets nearfall in short time before the match ends 3-8. I scoop up my son, give him a giant hug, and tell him how proud I am. He’s nearly in tears from the match but he smiles.

I know some people don’t approve of participation medals, but dammit, my son earned it. He wore it the rest of the day and was all too happy to tell everyone about it.

Off to The Creamery we go. Bittersweet Mint for him and Monkey Business for me never tasted so good. We head over to the BJC for Senior Day at Women’s Basketball where they put a hurtin’ on Minnesota 90-34. My son catches a t-shirt and gets on the JumboTron. 3 hour drive home and he’s able to see his little sister before she goes to bed. It was a good Sunday.

Wanted to provide a (not so) quick update about the weekend for those following the story.

The Clinic of Champions was great. My son was able to find someone his size to drill with, though they didn't quite follow all of the different cradles DT was showing, but the roving clinicians were doing their best to correct them. He got DT to sign the T page of his Wrestling The Alphabet book, bringing his total to 8 letters signed. We were hoping Bo Nickal and Kyle Snyder would be there to sign the N and K but maybe we'll catch them at trials. He was able to get autographs and pictures with Zain, Jen Page, and Cassar, complete with toothpick.

Quick change of clothes and we were off to Pegula to watch Women's Hockey win the CHA finals followed by Otto's for dinner. As we pulled into the Ramada and struggled to find a parking spot, I worried that we might be stuck with an undesirable room, and boy was I right. We ended up directly outside the indoor pool that was currently being occupies by about 40 children. Another quick change and my son was ready to jump in the pool over and over for about an hour and a half before shower and bedtime.

It was easier than I expected to wake him up at 6am, but he was excited to get to the tournament. He ended up choosing the BTC First Year Finale and I think that was the right choice. We surprisingly ran into a family from our home club outside of Philly; turns out they're PSU people too. My son was one of the first matches and had probably the toughest match of his short career. He got taken down early in the 1st but was able to get out and get a takedown and ride out to end the period up 3-2. Started on bottom in the 2nd period, took a bit longer to escape than the 1st but he did get the point. A little bit of circling before his opponent hits a lightning quick single leg and rides him out. 4-4 into the 3rd. Opponent chooses down and gets a reversal but my son gets another escape to make it 5-6 with about 30 seconds left. My son snaps down and tries to spin around but his opponent grabs a leg and eventually pulls it in, doubles off, and secures the takedown and 2 nearfall to end the match 5-10.

He took it hard. “I wanna go home.” “It’s too hard.” “I want to quit.” Everything I worried about happening. I let him know I was proud of him for trying his hardest but I wasn’t going to let him stop in the middle of the tournament. If he wanted to go out and get pinned so we could go home, there’s nothing I can do to stop him, but he’s got to get his wrestling shoes back on and get back on the mat. The flip switched when he put those shoes back on and he was ready to go.

Unfortunately, his next opponent wasn’t able to get over her fear of the mat and forfeited. My son got his hand raised and a new swell of confidence as he headed into the consi semis. As he's playing ball with some new friends, I couldn’t help but look at his next opponent’s earlier matches. First minute pin and then a decision loss to someone else that had a first minute pin. This could be a disaster.

Match starts, opponent shoots, opponent scores. Down 0-2; not good. My son gets up and out in under 20 seconds; not bad. Opponent shoots again and my son sprawls and spins for a takedown of his own. Locked hands call but my son rides him out and it’s 3-3 after 1. Opponent chooses bottom to start the second. My son puts a good ride on him, every time he gets up, my son puts him back down. For about 50 seconds. Opponent gets a reversal with 5 seconds left in the period to make it 3-5 into the 3rd. We choose bottom and it’s nearly a mirror of the 2nd period except this time the man on top gets nearfall in short time before the match ends 3-8. I scoop up my son, give him a giant hug, and tell him how proud I am. He’s nearly in tears from the match but he smiles.

I know some people don’t approve of participation medals, but dammit, my son earned it. He wore it the rest of the day and was all too happy to tell everyone about it.

Off to The Creamery we go. Bittersweet Mint for him and Monkey Business for me never tasted so good. We head over to the BJC for Senior Day at Women’s Basketball where they put a hurtin’ on Minnesota 90-34. My son catches a t-shirt and gets on the JumboTron. 3 hour drive home and he’s able to see his little sister before she goes to bed. It was a good Sunday.
Thank you. That's the good stuff🔥

I posted on another thread but since you brought up the clinic. My nephew said Nolf was great with the young kids.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT