ADVERTISEMENT

What's Micah contemplating with this Tweet?

Hope I'm wrong....but I think he's in too deep (financial obligations)...once he hired an agent, my guess is that he's enjoyed a steady income. I don't know how that would be refunded to the satisfaction of the NCAA......etc. I'm sure on the surface he would love to play with his buddies, but.........

In some situations maybe but I am pretty sure there will be exceptions. The BIG said they were cancelling and not considering starting up again. This isn’t a normal year.

Reactions: LionJim
In some situations maybe but I am pretty sure there will be exceptions. The BIG said they were cancelling and not considering starting up again. This isn’t a normal year.
Yeah, but he’d have to return some money. If he can manage to do that, I guess it’s a possibility. If not, not.

Hope I'm wrong....but I think he's in too deep (financial obligations)...once he hired an agent, my guess is that he's enjoyed a steady income. I don't know how that would be refunded to the satisfaction of the NCAA......etc. I'm sure on the surface he would love to play with his buddies, but.........
It would help him if he told the NCAA that he was committed to Ohio State at one point.

He won't be back as he probably took thousands and thousands of dollars from his agent.

No I can use them on my fingers at the ATM thanks!
200.gif

• Haha
Reactions: PearlSUJam
CJF said he was going to talk to him about returning... we all know he can be persuasive. Micah has some big decisions and won't be easy either way. Selfish reasons I would love to see him suit in the blue and white 1 more season. Totally understand if he doesn't want to risk injury and provide for his family. Either way I will wish him well and glad he went to PSU.

Reactions: LionJim and NC2017
I think one thing going for Micah is that the Big Ten announced they were cancelling the season and the commissioner stated the they would not be revisiting the decision. Therefore, at that point, he had no option to play college football so he moved on. When the decision was reversed, it provided him an opportunity that he was told would not be available. I'm not sure how this would be handled regarding any repayment. Maybe they would just have him put the contract in escrow versus doing a repayment. My guess is that if he wants to play, they will work it out. That said, I don't think he plays. Just my personal opinion.

I don't understand why he would change his mind. When he decided to opt out, the season was still a "go". He based his decisions on other factors which have not changed based on the conference postponing the season and then having a plan to play it in a truncated form. Why would MP decide not to play an 11 game season but then determine that a delayed 8+1 is suddenly more attractive?

He'd be stupid to opt back in. He's a top 15 pick either way. And this team probably isn't winning a championship.

I don't understand why he would change his mind. When he decided to opt out, the season was still a "go". He based his decisions on other factors which have not changed based on the conference postponing the season and then having a plan to play it in a truncated form. Why would MP decide not to play an 11 game season but then determine that a delayed 8+1 is suddenly more attractive?
Perhaps because he regrets the choice he made a few months ago? At the time, he decided to skip the season so that he could concentrate on improving his 40 time, shuttle run, bench press, etc for the purpose of the NFL combine. Plus, the excitement of getting an agent to advance him some money so that he could buy some new, shiny toys. So, he heads out to CA for some specialty training camp which has him attending some PSU classes remotely and working out a couple of times a day. Not many friends and not much else to do all day.

Fast forward a month or so, and maybe this isn't' so much fun after all? He doesn't have the fun of being around his teammates, being the BMOC. and simply playing the GAME of football. He's looking at 6 months of doing nothing but workouts without being able to play the game of football. He will be completely off the radar as the college football season cranks up - no mentions on Gameday, no awards, no hype, etc.

Perhaps going back and hanging with his teammates, playing the game (as opposed to doing 40 yd sprints), pursuing a conference championship, etc looks a lot better now, huh?

I support the young man, whatever he decides. I'd love to see him come back, though, and be a part of a team that can legitimately make a run at a title, abbreviated season or not. Life experiences such as that are difficult to replace. Just a generalization, but when all is said and done, one tends to regret the shots one didn't take.

I think the timing of his decision vs. the status of the season could be a potential sticking point for the NCAA if he does intent to opt back in. However I also think he could make a case that the writing was on the wall that a season was unlikely, even prior to the formal announcement, and that influenced his opting out. Another thing he could leverage is if he feels safer knowing the testing protocols that were announced by the conference this week vs. where things were at months ago. Ultimately I'll support whatever he decides to do and as of know I'm still in the camp that it's unlikely he's coming back.

Micah opted out before they cancelled didn't he?

With all the eligibility waivers everyone should get a free pass in their decisions. Geez the portal rules are a disaster. MP made an on the spot decision because of family and health, different protocols are in place now as to when he made his initial decision.

I think one thing going for Micah is that the Big Ten announced they were cancelling the season and the commissioner stated the they would not be revisiting the decision. Therefore, at that point, he had no option to play college football so he moved on. When the decision was reversed, it provided him an opportunity that he was told would not be available. I'm not sure how this would be handled regarding any repayment. Maybe they would just have him put the contract in escrow versus doing a repayment. My guess is that if he wants to play, they will work it out. That said, I don't think he plays. Just my personal opinion.
The main problem with that is he opted out before the B10 announced they were cancelling the season, citing COVID as his reason for opting out. If the NCAA wants to play hardball they will use that against him.

Reactions: ewb75 and LionJim
With all the eligibility waivers everyone should get a free pass in their decisions. Geez the portal rules are a disaster. MP made an on the spot decision because of family and health, different protocols are in place now as to when he made his initial decision.
I'm under the impression that he never even appeared for the "voluntary" workouts. The word was he was "training" in Harrisburg. The next thing was the opt out with the pictures of his son etc. I'm not the one making the decision, but I don't see what has really changed. Better rapid testing ...yes....but the agent is likely fronting money to MP and this takes care of what I thought he stated was his primary concern, that being the welfare of his child. I mean, I get that we're all fanboys and desperately want him to play....but I don't see what he gains from coming back. He's a first round draft pick.

Parsons opted out 8/6 and the Big Ten cancelled 8/11...unless my info is wrong, he would have a hard time arguing that his decision came because the League had cancelled.

The main problem with that is he opted out before the B10 announced they were cancelling the season, citing COVID as his reason for opting out. If the NCAA wants to play hardball they will use that against him.
No one can honestly dispute that these are unprecedented times. If Micah really wants back in, it would be far beyond playing hardball to deny him that opportunity. If any circumstances call for widespread leniency, it's a global pandemic.

So did the WR from Minnesota and the thinking I've heard WRT him is that it won't be a problem.

I think the bigger issue would be if he accepted tangible benefits from the agent, he would have to repay those. Which might be tricky.

When he opted out did he drop out of school? I seem to recall him saying he was going to finish his degree and graduate at the end of this semester. I would think it would be a much better sell to rejoin the team if he is still enrolled in school and taking classes.

Reactions: Nittany_93
The truth is Micah badly needs another season to learn the LB position. He didn't even play LB is HS. 1 more year could do wonders for him if he wants to play LB in the NFL.

When he opted out did he drop out of school? I seem to recall him saying he was going to finish his degree and graduate at the end of this semester. I would think it would be a much better sell to rejoin the team if he is still enrolled in school and taking classes.

He's enrolled in 4 classes.

Parsons opted out 8/6 and the Big Ten cancelled 8/11...unless my info is wrong, he would have a hard time arguing that his decision came because the League had cancelled.

The argument he’d make is that he wasn’t satisfied that weekly testing would adequately protect him, but they daily testing makes him feel comfortable. Not saying that is what actually changed his feelings but that is what is now different from the situation in August.

He also may not have yet signed with an agent when the season was canceled, despite opting out by then. He could claim he wouldn't have signed if the season wasn't canceled.

But has he made as much as Clemson and Bama players make yet?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT