ADVERTISEMENT

What was the most devastating sporting event loss you’ve experienced as a non-participant?

Michigan 2005
This^^^ It also changed how much I put into these games. A loss used to ruin my entire week and I would be crushed. After the screw job we took during this one and no one did anything about it, I realized it wasn’t worth getting all wrapped up into it, so now I still watch every game, but I get over a loss fairly quickly.

Guman up the middle...
Guman up the middle...
Guman up the middle....

I loved Guman .... I am sure that Joe became the first coach to win the mythical national NC while throwing the ball more than running it after this but I wanted to put my head in a vice after that game and never stop the torquing down.

It’s easy to rattle off the ones I was present for.. the heartbreakers

2005 Michigan
2016 Pitt
2017 Rose Bowl
2017 Ohio State
2018 Ohio State

and the blowouts..

2013 Ohio State
2016 Michigan
2018 Michigan

It’s brutal because of getting completely dismantled. What’s worse? If you get to watch a great football college game, is it really that bad of a thing? You walk out afterwards disappointed but the experience is still incredible. Walk after getting destroyed and it’s a different kind of disappointment.

I was unbelievably in attendance for both these away games noted above:
Michigan 2005
2017 at OSU.

But the sheer utter stunned silence at home against Minnesota ‘99 still haunts me to this day. I don’t think I spoke a word the rest of the day and really don’t remember anything about the entire rest of that weekend until I showed up in the office Monday morning and started to snap out of it. MISERY!

1999 Minnesota........two hail marys in the last drive that we miss time and they catch. That game should have been over 15 times before the last drive..........Oh well, many more exhilerating wins than losses, but that one hurt more than any other and I was in attendance at Michigan in 2005.

My immediate response would be the 2008 late season loss at Iowa but am curious about how my board brethren would respond to this question.

In no order, but I will say college football is by far favorite sport as adult.

2005 Penn State at Michigan loss in Ann Arbor. Last second/play losses are always tough.
1999 Penn State losing to Minnesota.
1997 Penn State vs Michigan the beat down.
1995 Villanova vs Old Dominion NCAA tournament
1993 Phillies loss to Blue Jays and Joe Carter.
2002 Eagles losing the Bucaneers in the NFC Championship at home.

I wasn't alive and parents had not even met yet, but I bet 1979 Sugar Bowl loss was awful.

2005 Michigan/1999 Minny.
Not sure what hurt my heart more. 2005 was too magical to lose that game. The MRob drive should have been it. The 99 Minny game was just pure shock. I just couldn’t believe what I was watching.

Non-PSU: Eagles/Bucs NFC Championship Game (last game at the Vet).

The Vet rivaled Beaver Stadium after the early score. The Barber Pick-Six was the oddest sports moment I’ve been a part of. No boos, no anger...Dead Silence all the way to the car.

Reactions: PSUCYCLING
I was unbelievably in attendance for both these away games noted above:
Michigan 2005
2017 at OSU.

But the sheer utter stunned silence at home against Minnesota ‘99 still haunts me to this day. I don’t think I spoke a word the rest of the day and really don’t remember anything about the entire rest of that weekend until I showed up in the office Monday morning and started to snap out of it. MISERY!
That would be my choice, especially when you consider the implications for the rest of the year and the next few seasons...was the beginning of the end in a lot of ways....

Two words: Immaculate Reception

I grew up a Raider fan in Steeler Country. My fandom dated back to Super Bowl II so that preceded the Steeler rise.
I grew up surrounded by Steeler fans so every Steeler win was brutal.

Is the 2005 Michigan game the one where we got absolutely hosed and Michigan somehow got off like 3 pass plays in 7 seconds?

Reactions: brupsu
Phillies loss to Dodgers in 77 NLCS
Sixers lose to Blazers in 77 NBA Finals - Sixers were so much more talented
Michigan 2005 - still furious about that
Phillies 1993 - Joe Carter

January 20th 1985. I was 5 year old. That for whatever reason picked Dan Marino. As my childhood sports super hero. To this day my dad doesn’t know what went wrong. How I picked the Dolphins and Dan. I don’t remember a lot from those very young years. But I remember that day to a T. Disappointment got easier after that game.

Guman up the middle...
Guman up the middle...
Guman up the middle....

I loved Guman .... I am sure that Joe became the first coach to win the mythical national NC while throwing the ball more than running it after this but I wanted to put my head in a vice after that game and never stop the torquing down.
Fake to Guman and fusina walks in b

1999 Minnesota. I was there and can still remember the disbelief - it was a long, silent ride home

All of the PSU games listed here were painful (any loss is), but I didn’t see the 86 Orange Bowl listed. I had an opportunity to go to the 83 Sugar as a student but didn’t go, so as a recent grad I wasn’t going to miss that bowl when ranked #1. I can still see Keith Jackson outrunning the secondary. They made up for it the next year when I went to the Fiesta.

Two stand above the others for me...

1999 Minnesota
2017 US Men's Soccer at Trinidad & Tobago

North Group 4 NJ lacrosse semi finals. Westfield 11 Central 10. Team came out flat and never recovered. We were favored, should have won. This was Son1’s last high school game, I was teared up. As I walked out of the stadium Coach Tom Bill was next to me. He was super active with this group since youths (I coached this group for grades 5 and 6) so I knew him for a long time. I told him I love him and this team and said thanks for all he did. Son1 won a few awards including all state, team scoring leader and team academic award. Young dads, enjoy your kids jocking out, it’s f ing tremendous.

Last edited:
Most of the obvious ones have been mentioned. These more recent losses weren't the most devastating but they were certainly gut wrenching:
  • Rose Bowl loss vs USC
  • Back to back 1 pt losses to OSU
  • Back to back last minute losses to MSU

1/1/79

Still would have liked to have seen what Joe would have done had we scored. Kick it or go for 2. Not much time was left. Tie probably gets us the mnc.

Fake to Guman and fusina walks in b

Burkhart saved us against KU.....a shame Fusina wasn’t a student of history because, as you said here and as I’ve said a dozen times over the years here, he would have walked in for the TD.

Sid Bream beating the throw to the plate.
Thats it for me but several others mentioned are up there.

That Pirate loss was terrible. Everyone knew that was the best, last chance to make the series since 1979. And Bonila and Bonds would both be free agents so the Pirates would suck for a long time since the owner was cheap (McClatchy, IIRC). Never thought it would be 20 more years just to make the playoffs.

And having Bream, a former Pirate, score the winning run, was also painful.

Then, to rub salt in the wound, it was very dark, overcast, and rainy for sevral days after, adding to the gloom.

Brutal.

Most of the obvious ones have been mentioned. These more recent losses weren't the most devastating but they were certainly gut wrenching:
  • Rose Bowl loss vs USC
  • Back to back 1 pt losses to OSU
  • Back to back last minute losses to MSU
My list too. Snatched defeat from the jaws of victory

Reactions: BarryPSU and brupsu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT