ADVERTISEMENT

What about upgrading singlet?

Ummm.....OK. I stand corrected. All I have to do is find a way to squeeze myself into a PSU singlet and men will flee and women will flock every time I walk down the street.

Ummm.....OK. I stand corrected. All I have to do is find a way to squeeze myself into a PSU singlet and men will flee and women will flock every time I walk down the street.

Given that you need to EARN one of those from Cael Sanderson (e.g., the "honor & distinction" to don an actual prized PSU singlet is "earned", not "bought").....something tells me that the you won't be "squeezing into one" any time soon.

...really?...

...go back and ask some of the wrestlers who stepped on the mat for the first time against a Gable coached Iowa kid in the all-black uniform during their glory years...

...then ask if they would have felt the same if the kid had been wearing a Rutgers uniform...

Sorry Androcles. Your memory is second to none on this board. And I respect your wrestling knowledge more than most. But, the only reason those kid's got nervous was because of Gable...not the uniform.

When you see the Penn State singlet across from you, you are not only wrestling the wrestler, you are facing an entire philosophy on wrestling. You know you are going to face something that you have never faced before.

When you see the Penn State singlet across from you, you are not only wrestling the wrestler, you are facing an entire philosophy on wrestling. You know you are going to face something that you have never faced before.

Wow, a lot of hyperbole right there. Somehow I suspect the "entire philosophy on wrestling" is unrelated to whether the singlet does or does not have a belt stripe, or whether the singlet is dark navy blue, dark royal blue, white, or whatever.

Reactions: lionlover
Wow, a lot of hyperbole right there. Somehow I suspect the "entire philosophy on wrestling" is unrelated to whether the singlet does or does not have a belt stripe, or whether the singlet is dark navy blue, dark royal blue, white, or whatever.

The PSU singlet is a symbol of the Program and signifies that the wearer has been trained to the standards and style that the Program promotes and represents....a wearer of the uniform is a "standard-bearer" of the standards the uniform represents (e.g., the "Program's Standards"). No different than wearing any uniform makes you a "representative" of the institution that issued it and authorizes the party to wear it. To say otherwise is absurd - an opponent who has never gone up against PSU before understands that the opponent they will be facing who has earned the right to wear a PSU singlet as a starting wrestler is going to be a damn good, aggressive wrestler that is going to come right at him - that can be intimidating especially in Rec Hall if you are totally foreign to the experience.

Reactions: 21Guns
...I think Gable's kids were more fearful of Gable than anyone they wrestled...

...conversely I don't sense that feeling by the kids who go out to wrestle for Cael... seems like a completely different approach ...

but thas jes my opinion...

Reactions: lionlover
...I think Gable's kids were more fearful of Gable than anyone they wrestled...

...conversely I don't sense that feeling by the kids who go out to wrestle for Cael... seems like a completely different approach ...

but thas jes my opinion...

It is. Gable himself said this WHILE Cael was still at Iowa State, during one of Cael's matches, I believe it was during his destruction of one of the Iowa wrestlers(name is escaping me) in that famous match where the official called a disqualification due to stalling in the third. Gable's quote was something like "This is going to revolutionize the sport, the sport will never be the same"

Somebody find the clip for me...

But if you were to ask ANYONE in the sport today about the most intimidating place to wrestle, to a MAN they would say "Rec Hall against Penn State". That's a guarantee.

It is. Gable himself said this WHILE Cael was still at Iowa State, during one of Cael's matches, I believe it was during his destruction of one of the Iowa wrestlers(name is escaping me) in that famous match where the official called a disqualification due to stalling in the third. Gable's quote was something like "This is going to revolutionize the sport, the sport will never be the same"

Somebody find the clip for me...
Shortly after the announcement was made that Sanderson took the Penn State job, I seem to recall Tom Brands saying something similar like "This move will have a huge change on wrestling." Does anyone remember Tom saying something similar?

I think we need a clever soul to alter a picture of Spencer Lee so he's wearing Navy tux with a white cummerbund, and label the image "change in plans.":rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT