ADVERTISEMENT

What about upgrading singlet?

jboots

Oct 12, 2002
I thought that NC State's singlet that faded from red to black looked cool. Not sure that would work with white fading to blue, but the white stripe around the waist on our singlets looks like something from the 1950s. I'm sure the purists will lam blast any change, but some changes can be good.

Last edited:
I like that they only go with the traditional singlets and on rare occasion - the white ones. Call me a purist if you'd like, but I like less flashy singlets as a rule anyway...you start changing things and you might end up with something like those god awful Mizzou tiger stripe singlets...terrible!

I though NC State's singlet that faded from red to black looked cool. Not sure that would work with white fading to blue, but the white strip around the waist on our singlets looks like something from the 1950s. I'm sure the purists will lam blast any change, but some changes can be good.

I'm all in favor of bringing out an alternate singlet every once in awhile and think we should do it for our football uniforms but I would never make big changes to our iconic singlet

Reactions: garw
I though NC State's singlet that faded from red to black looked cool. Not sure that would work with white fading to blue, but the white strip around the waist on our singlets looks like something from the 1950s. I'm sure the purists will lam blast any change, but some changes can be good.

No names on the singlets.

let the singlet alone. I really dont even like the white ones, but understand why they do it.

The camo one was cool for military appreciation.

This may be blasphemy, but I do not like the white stripe around the waist on the PSU singlets. Never have. You want a timeless look, just get rid of the darn waist stripe. I would also be okay with the PSU lion logo on the back or with vertical white stripes on the sides, but understand that might be too much change for some folks. But just lose the waist stripe.

That said, I do like that PSU has singlets that are immediately recognizable, and that we don't wear a different singlet on each day of the NCAA tourney (ala VaTech, Okie State, Brutus, etc), or switch singlets every other dual meet. And yeah, the Missouri tiger stripe singlets are hideous.

This may be blasphemy, but I do not like the white stripe around the waist on the PSU singlets. Never have. You want a timeless look, just get rid of the darn waist stripe. I would also be okay with the PSU lion logo on the back or with vertical white stripes on the sides, but understand that might be too much change for some folks. But just lose the waist stripe.

That said, I do like that PSU has singlets that are immediately recognizable, and that we don't wear a different singlet on each day of the NCAA tourney (ala VaTech, Okie State, Brutus, etc), or switch singlets every other dual meet. And yeah, the Missouri tiger stripe singlets are hideous.
that is blasphemy - PSU has one of the most distinctive singlets around.....

The stripe down Ohio State's back makes it easier for the refs to tell when they're pinned. For that we can be grateful. Otherwise those are hideous, and a shame that VT replicated them.

Ours ... let them be. Everybody immediately knows who we are. As a bonus: a lot of high school singlet are patterned after ours -- nothing like some free subliminal advertising.

I thought that NC State's singlet that faded from red to black looked cool. Not sure that would work with white fading to blue, but the white stripe around the waist on our singlets looks like something from the 1950s. I'm sure the purists will lam blast any change, but some changes can be good.

Ummm, no....PSU has the most recognizable, iconic singlet, just like their football uniforms. Everybody knows, even non-PSU fans, when a PSU wrestler takes the mat - the singlets are instantly recognizable unlike many of the teams that constantly change them.

Ummm, no....PSU has the most recognizable, iconic singlet, just like their football uniforms. Everybody knows, even non-PSU fans, when a PSU wrestler takes the mat - the singlets are instantly recognizable unlike many of the teams that constantly change them.

Well, here's a link to the so-called "iconc" Penn State Football uniforms.
http://www.gopsusports.com/blog/2011/06/penn-state-football-uniforms-through-the-years.html

I'm as much of a traditional Penn State alum as most, class of 1974. A lot, if not all, of this "traditional" and "iconic" thinking stems from our football uniform and JoePa. I have no desire to see changes made to our football uniform. I never knew Penn State football before Joe and I loved Joe. But our other sports teams have changed their uniforms over the years.

As for wrestling, we are now in the Cael Sanderson years, we are not in 1953 or the early 1970's when I went to Penn State.

I am only opening the idea for discussion.

More than happy to upgrade
our singlets from an

A to A+

Hope that helps
;)

No one is talking about changing looks for each new competition. A couple of us just don't like the horizontal waist stripe. I agree that having a recognizable singlet is important. However, I think after a brief adjustment period, the tweaked singlets would be just as recognizable.

Of course, this whole discussion is just message board fodder ...

I think our singlet is iconic. Probably wouldn't put it as "most iconic". I think the Iowa singlet is probably most iconic. Also, the Minny burgandy is pretty iconic. Too bad they go to their gold singlets for Saturday nights. PSU and Iowa don't ever need to do that.

No one is talking about changing looks for each new competition. A couple of us just don't like the horizontal waist stripe. I agree that having a recognizable singlet is important. However, I think after a brief adjustment period, the tweaked singlets would be just as recognizable.

Well it is not totally "just message board fodder". College coaches have to walk a very tight line when it comes to tradition. They know how the alumni support their program with their money. They may want to make some tweaks, but they have to win first, and win consistently. And then they might float their "secondary" ideas.

I agree, it is totally up to Cael, and I imagine this would be the very last thing on his mind, if it is on his mind at all.

I'm just saying....National Championship in 1953...similar uniforms from then until now...62 years. If we had won any championships between then and 2011, this would probably be a mute point.

But hey....five National Championships in the last seven years since Cael came to Penn State. Some of you guys seem to think he walked into a championship program like Iowa.

Times have changed. This is not the 1950s.

Speaking of our singlet being around a while: can anyone find the pic of Adam Busiello in the old beat-up PSU singlet?

Personally, I like the Penn State white singlets, but only at home. They match the white mat perfectly...I wonder if there would ever be opponents who would blend into the mat so well that the PSU wrestler could shoot and the opponent not see him!

I agree. I HATE that ugly wide stripe That stripe makes me think of the old batman TV series where they had those thick/wide belts around their waist. LOL!! Classic all white would be awesome..

The Penn State singlet is the most intimidating singlet in the sport: When an opponent takes the mat and sees that hideous thick white stripe around the waste and the big block letters "PENN STATE" in the front, he knows what he is in for.

NO CHANGE.

The Penn State singlet is the most intimidating singlet in the sport: When an opponent takes the mat and sees that hideous thick white stripe around the waste and the big block letters "PENN STATE" in the front, he knows what he is in for.

NO CHANGE.

Seriously? The opponent doesn't know what they're in for until they see the uni?

It would be interesting to see them go back to the actual PSU blue, the dark Royal blue, rather than the Navy blue.

Not related to singlets, but there is some interesting stuff on Mark Hall's Twitter account; including this one.

Mark John Hall II‏@BaybeeMarky_PSU
i wish Nolf couldve heard me yelling "CLEAR HOOK" at my tv. i know my sleeping mother did
1f62d.png

6:33 PM - 19 Mar 2016

1. Coach E ‏@CoachEdenfield Mar 19
    @BaybeeMarky_PSU he got away with it the first 2 matches. Cant believe he just let Imar have it at that point in the match.

I like that white belting!!!!! Furthermore that uniform is iconic and it is distinctive - Penn State distinctive! Leave it alone!

Some people are always trying to change something. You only change something if it is in need of improvement. There has been a number of changes to web sites lately and many of these changes are done by people who just want put their stamp on something. ESPN and GoPSUSports are prime examples of change fo the sake of change. They are no longer as user-friendly now.

Do not screw-up our uniforms!

I could make the white band a bit thinner.....the band reminds me of ties....the right size never goes out of style. Then possibly put the last name in blue inside the band. This way the team would always be above the individual. Wrestling is a sport where the individual matters......unlike many team sports.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
I could see the name on the back certainly being fan friendly in tournament settings.

Seriously? The opponent doesn't know what they're in for until they see the uni?

It would be interesting to see them go back to the actual PSU blue, the dark Royal blue, rather than the Navy blue.

I agree with you that the PSU Blue has gotten darker through time. I think at one time it was based on the shade of blue in the Pennsylvania State Flag which as you say is more of an extremely dark shade of royal blue more so than a navy blue.

...Jes a few comments FYI...

...the wrestling uniform in 1953 was a 3-piece ... a Navy blue top that buttoned thru the crotch, a pair of long Navy tights with foot stirrups and a drawstring waist and a white satiny bathing suit that sorta held it all together...

...the current one-piece singlet with the white band was designed by Coach Bill Koll...white bands around the legs were added later..

...the Navy blue uniforms for football first replaced the royal Hawaiian ones when we played Kansas in the 1969 Orange Bowl ... the team did pre-game warmups in the light blues, went back to the locker rooms, changed tops, and came running out for the game in Navy blue ... the PSU crowd erupted in cheers...

Last edited:
There has been more and more HS teams moving to this belt-style of singlet, as of the last few years. I'm willing to bet PSU has influenced it.

The white belt is easy to identify during tourneys. A lot of other singlets are hard to identify due to being similar to other teams. If the kids want names on the belt, I am cool with that.

I posted the on a previous thread on the main board back when the new PSU mark/logo was released and people went apes#!# over the lighter blue. Most people have been under the impression that the official PSU blue is the dark navy blue that the ath. dept uses. It is not. However PMS 287 | #000099 remains the official Penn State Blue, not the PMS 282 | #003333 that many people think is the PSU blue.

The best that I can tell is that Paterno started switching from the dark royal blue to the dark navy blue sometime in the 1960s and eventually the rest of the teams fel in line. First, the helmet stripe and numbers were navy blue, while the jersey and pant stripe remained the dark royal, See the Ted Kwalick photos from around 1968.

I just love the irony that of all of the PSU coaches throughout history, it appears that Paterno was the one that made the most drastic change to Penn State uniforms by changing the color.

Here's an old Penn State basketball jersey from the 50s-60s that was recently on ebay
s-l500.jpg

Richie Lucas senior year 1959
pix_Lucas.jpg

Glenn Ressler senior year 1964 My mom went to high school with Ressler & I went to his high school jersey retirement ceremony when I was in middle school. He had one of his Penn State Jerseys and one of his Baltimore Colts jerseys. They were the same shade of dark royal blue
pix_Ressler.jpg

It looks like they started switching to dark navy sometime during the late 60s. Check out the Kwalick photo. The Jersey is clearly a Roal Blue while the helmet stripe & number are Navy.

Ted Kwalick senior year 1968
167959804-college-football-penn-state-ted-kwalick-in-gettyimages.jpg

166903797-college-football-penn-state-ted-kwalick-in-gettyimages.jpg

Here's Ted in the Away Whites
Penn%20State%2060's%20Home%20Ted%20Kwalick.jpg

It looks like by 1969, both the jerseys & helmet decorations were navy.

Mike Reid senior season 1969
pic_REID_1_display_image.jpg

Even though Penn State Athletics use Dark Navy Blue, the official Penn State Blue is still Dark Royal Blue.

I agree. I HATE that ugly wide stripe That stripe makes me think of the old batman TV series where they had those thick/wide belts around their waist. LOL!! Classic all white would be awesome..
I agree with the two of you. Not a big fan of the white belt. Then again, I won't lose any sleep if we keep it.

...Bill Koll once said that he wanted other teams to be able to immediately identify our uniforms and NOT want to face it...
...we and Iowa have the most identifiable uniforms wherever we compete... it is fan-friendly and foe-feared ... why change?...

...Jes a few comments FYI...

...the uniform in 1953 was a 3-piece ... a top that buttoned thru the crotch, a pair of long tights with foot stirrups and a drawstring waist and a white satiny bathing suit that sorta held it all together...

...the current one-piece singlet with the white band was designed by Coach Bill Koll...white bands around the legs were added later..

...the Navy blue uniforms for football first replaced the royal Hawaiian ones when we played Kansas in the 1969 Orange Bowl ... the team did pre-game warmups in the light blues, went back to the locker rooms, changed tops, and came running out for the game in Navy blue ... the PSU crowd erupted in cheers...

Perhaps if the wrestling team wanted to have a throwback uni, they could go with a modern singlet that is white from the waist down and Royal Blue from the waist up.

What would really be funny is to have our team also come out in tights for warmups while playing the Mel Brooks 'Men in TIghts' song. Are tights even legal these days?

it is fan-friendly and foe-feared ... why change?...

Any wrestler that is afraid of a uniform is not going to be a DI wrestler. You can say that opponents recognize it. That, I'll buy. But fear it? That's hyperbolic horse####.

Reactions: lionlover
...really?...

...go back and ask some of the wrestlers who stepped on the mat for the first time against a Gable coached Iowa kid in the all-black uniform during their glory years...

...then ask if they would have felt the same if the kid had been wearing a Rutgers uniform...

Last edited:
...really?...

...go back and ask some of the wrestlers who stepped on the mat for the first time against a Gable coached Iowa kid in the all-black uniform during their glory years...

I'm certain they weren't intimidated by the uniform, they were intimidated by the wrestler wearing it. Big difference.

I'm certain they weren't intimidated by the uniform, they were intimidated by the wrestler wearing it. Big difference.

No, they could have also been intimidated by "The Program" that the uniform is a "symbol" of, no different than a flag. This would especially be true for a wrestler that had never faced a Gable-coached Iowa wrestler.....the opposing wrestler would very well understand that any wrestler facing off against him in that uniform carried Gable's "imprimatur", as signified by the uniform he was wearing. No different than a U.S. Marine....any opposing force that sees the uniform, flags and other "symbols" of the U.S. Marine Corps knows that they will be "standing-off against" (e.g., "opposing") the only "standing army" that does not teach how to conduct an organized mass-retreat, because teaching it would mean that "retreat" and "mission failure" is a realistic option - instead, the Marines motto for field troops that run into a temporary obstacle is "adapt and improvise", but not completing the "stated mission" is never an option under any circumstance (e.g., an "irresistible force").....a bit like Cael teaches his wrestlers donning the PSU singlet (the most easily recognized in the sport) to "wrestle" regardless of whether they are wrestling in a folk match or whether they are wrestling in a Freestyle match for the NLWC.....the "way they wrestle" is always the same....."terminate the opposition with extreme prejudice".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT