ADVERTISEMENT

Waaaay too many bowl games!

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
There are forty three bowl games plus the championship game. So that means there are 86 teams playing bowls, which does not include all the playoff games of the lower divisions of college ball. Looking the records of these teams you will see that 17 of them are 6-6. And one, Rice U, is 5-7…..and not one of their five victories were against teams with winning records!

Way too many bowls!

There are forty three bowl games plus the championship game. So that means there are 86 teams playing bowls, which does not include all the playoff games of the lower divisions of college ball. Looking the records of these teams you will see that 17 of them are 6-6. And one, Rice U, is 5-7…..and not one of their five victories were against teams with winning records!

Way too many bowls!
Until you start getting Power 5 teams playing each other with 9 or more wins, don't watch. That will narrow it to about 5-6 games.

At this point, I wish they’d just scrap bowls altogether and make a big enough playoff system where every conference (P5 and G5) can be represented, making bowl games truly obsolete.
Yes, but how would all these bowl committees grift money off the players, fans, and schools? 86 schools with seemingly unlimited amounts of money to give out. Almost as good as the endless pockets of government cash.

Meh. If they are making money, why not play them? Everyone has a choice: stage the event, schools can play, players can play, people can attend, networks can broadcast, and people can watch on TV.

If they aren't making money, they'll go away. If they are, more power to them. I guess I can watch Dr. Phil or The View.

Wisky is only 6-6, but I don't understand why the only bowl game today with somewhat legit teams starts at 10:15???

Maybe they didn't want to try and pull viewers from the 7:30 Pens/Islanders game........ ;)

Reactions: therod
Wisky is only 6-6, but I don't understand why the only bowl game today with somewhat legit teams starts at 10:15???

Maybe they didn't want to try and pull viewers from the 7:30 Pens/Islanders game........ ;)
The interesting thing about Wisconsin is that Luke Fickell is coaching them. Officially, Jim Leanard will be the HC but Fickell will be on the sideline with a headset on.

I never understood the complaint about too many bowl games. If a sponsor wants to finance a game, then there’s going to be a bowl game. No one is forced to watch. And watching any football game, even as background noise is better than 90% of whatever else is on tv

Agree there’s too many. No need for all these six and six teams to be playing. Ideally, once they go to 12 teams for a playoff, they can keep about 10 more bowls, and that should be it.

Way too many bowls!
Why complain about something that:

1. Is so obvious.
2. You have the control to or not to watch?

Way too many bowls!
As a few other posters commented, I am curious about the revenue models. Bowls used to be about economic development. Fans would attend, stay for a few days and spend big bucks locally. Not anymore. Hardly anyone attends so what about tv money? Another puzzle since nobody watches.
I would love to see how the $$$ flow.

As a few other posters commented, I am curious about the revenue models. Bowls used to be about economic development. Fans would attend, stay for a few days and spend big bucks locally. Not anymore. Hardly anyone attends so what about tv money? Another puzzle since nobody watches.
I would love to see how the $$$ flow.
Wondering the same. Two questions: Where does the money come from. And who benefits?

Money for the bowls comes from various sources……broadcast rights, ticket sales, sponsorships. Sponsors could include many businesses not just the naming rights. The host city/county/state all probably contribute somehow. Certainly the tourist promotion agencies and business nonprofits like hotel, bar, and restaurant organizations. Biggest question is the income enough to cover expenses?

Now who benefits. Well, ESPN gets a ton of airtime all bowl season when other events are slow. They probably sell advertising in packages…..you want to advertise in any major bowl you have to have some in the minor bowls. Revenue sharing to keep the gravy train on the tracks. The hotels, bars, restaurants, souvenir shops, even museums all benefit. The city/ county/state all get tons of publicity and tax revenue. The Chamber of Commerce has to love them.

The politicians get to parade around telling everyone what a great job they are doing. Corporate types get to suck up to politicians so they can get favors later. The media, sports websites, book makers, all generate a ton of business from bowls. Even charities get in the game by having events during Bowl week.

And the Bowl committees themselves deserve a look. How much are these people paid to plan all year? Who makes up these committees……bet a lot of top ones are friends, family, donors, to top government and corporate big shots.

Lots of fingers in the game…..

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I'm still shocked anyone is there--I guess family goes lol
What the hell is so funny about a players family traveling and making plans to watch their child in a bowl game?

FYI, the networks don't give a rats a$$ of the stadium attendance. They make money on the game viewing audience. I would assume, when the viewing scale tips to negative, the decline of the bowl games on tv will begin.

ESPN owns a good number of the current bowls and uses them for TV time. I don't know the specifics of it, but they have to amount to something for them.

Reactions: bison13 and psu00
What the hell is so funny about a players family traveling and making plans to watch their child in a bowl game?

FYI, the networks don't give a rats a$$ of the stadium attendance. They make money on the game viewing audience. I would assume, when the viewing scale tips to negative, the decline of the bowl games on tv will begin.
True. The networks only care about viewers and advertising. However, it’s a 2 sided coin. There’s also a flip side from the town’s perspective. What makes it profitable for Boca Raton, El Paso, (or wherever else’s), operating costs if people don’t show or spend money in restaurants and hotels?

Reactions: step.eng69
True. The networks only care about viewers and advertising. However, it’s a 2 sided coin. There’s also a flip side from the town’s perspective. What makes it profitable for Boca Raton, El Paso, (or wherever else’s), operating costs if people don’t show or spend money in restaurants and hotels?
For the cities a huge thing is publicity and status. During the bowl game the highlights of the area are featured in the broadcasts along with aerial shots. Plus hundreds of sports articles across the country all headlined from their city. Has to be the equivalent of tens of millions of dollars of paid national advertising.

Reactions: step.eng69

If you already have and existing stadium and infrastructure, what's the downside though? Even if it is just a couple of thousand people visiting from out of town that otherwise wouldn't, that's still net revenue that the businesses enjoy. And the cities get the advertisement during the broadcasts, in theory getting the "name out" of their locales and making them seem more worthy of visiting.

But more than anything, a lot of the bowls simply exist as cheap programing for ESPN at a time of year when people are home more (and not leaving their houses due to the cold) and there's not a lot of other sports on TV. Paying for the TV rights for bowl game and in many cases actively running the process is pretty cheap for ESPN compared to paying for rights from a professional league or college conference. And while the lesser bowls don't get anything special in ratings it not like some mid week NHL or college basketball game would do all that much either.

To each their own. I’ll be attending three bowl games this week. I enjoy seeing the traditions of different teams and the non-traditional matchups.

Don’t like them? Don’t watch. 🤷‍♂️

This is kind of me. I'll admit that I don't tend to watch the games involving G5 teams too often unless I'm really bored, I actually rather like the games involving mid-tier Power 5 teams especially since they tend to be unique matchups that you wouldn't see much. It's interesting to see how the teams from various conferences square off especially given the endless debates we have about how certain conference/schedules are easy or teams are weaker or stronger. And I kind of like that the players get to get a trip and some swag and half the participating teams have a nice send off to their year with a win over a comparable team.

I like that the week between Christmas and New Years has a bunch of college football games always on.

Just got home from a decent game with Wisconsin beating Ok State 24-17. Some great plays with backup QBs. Pokes couldn’t do anything but had a couple of big plays to keep them in it. Got to see a stadium sing Friends in Low Places and then Jump Around. Got pix with the Ok State band and overall had a great time on a Tuesday night.

Who said TV cares? I didn't. They only care about the advertisers. Ideally the viewing stops so these meaningless game end.
It's funny that the way sane people go is to watch their kid. Everyone else knows better...well not here. People here still think it's the 80s

Meh. If they are making money, why not play them? Everyone has a choice: stage the event, schools can play, players can play, people can attend, networks can broadcast, and people can watch on TV.

If they aren't making money, they'll go away. If they are, more power to them. I guess I can watch Dr. Phil or The View.
Coaches like the extra practice, developmental and evaluation time. You can easily pick and chose which games you want to watch. The only one that interested me so far was last nights Wisconsin game, but it started way too late.

Coaches like the extra practice, developmental and evaluation time. You can easily pick and chose which games you want to watch. The only one that interested me so far was last nights Wisconsin game, but it started way too late.
It started way too late - and I’m in the same time zone as the game! It’s a shame a P5 matchup gets relegated to that time slot.

Who said TV cares? I didn't. They only care about the advertisers. Ideally the viewing stops so these meaningless game end.
It's funny that the way sane people go is to watch their kid. Everyone else knows better...well not here. People here still think it's the 80s
why would you be upset that someone wants to watch the Cheeze-It bowl? (BTW, I am told the plural of cheez-it is chees-it, not chees-its).

So if people watch it, that means the network can charge more for advertising. That means, the network makes money and the advertiser gets their views. So the university makes some money, the kids play, the coach gets more practices, the city makes some revenue, the stadium/employees make some dough, the network makes money and the advertisers get their views and some set of people enjoyed watching it over Dr. Phil or endless reruns of Modern Family, Friends and The Office.

Works for me. I'll let them all decide for themselves.

I haven't watched a bowl game yet this year. I plan to watch UCLA pound the pitters in the El Paso Migrant Bowl, watch the two playoff games, and then watch the Penn State game. That's it for bowl games for me.

I haven't watched a bowl game yet this year. I plan to watch UCLA pound the pitters in the El Paso Migrant Bowl, watch the two playoff games, and then watch the Penn State game. That's it for bowl games for me.
The winner gets a green card and a refrigerator box under the overpass in either El Paso or LA! And we thought the Land Grant Trophy was lame!

• Haha
Reactions: psu00 and LemonEars
If they let all the illegals into the stadium, it will be the biggest crowd that Pitt has seen all year! Maybe since we played them!
I was thinking along those lines: Pittsburgh has declared that it is a sanctuary city. Narduzzi ought to round up about 10,000 migrants and bus them to Pittsburgh with the condition that they attend all pitt home games. This would about double attendance. Also, the Dems in Pittsburgh could feel good about themselves by giving the migrants free housing, free food, free health care, free transportation, free sex change operations if desired, etc. etc. Sounds like a win-win to me except for the punishment that the migrants would have to watch 7 pitt home games. That might be enough to drive them back to where they came from.

I was thinking along those lines: Pittsburgh has declared that it is a sanctuary city. Narduzzi ought to round up about 10,000 migrants and bus them to Pittsburgh with the condition that they attend all pitt home games. This would about double attendance. Also, the Dems in Pittsburgh could feel good about themselves by giving the migrants free housing, free food, free health care, free transportation, free sex change operations if desired, etc. etc. Sounds like a win-win to me except for the punishment that the migrants would have to watch 7 pitt home games. That might be enough to drive them back to where they came from.
You gotta post that on the Panther Liar board. I would but got banned years ago!

Reactions: bourbon n blues
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT