ADVERTISEMENT

They need to cut a lot of the bowls.

Everyone gets a bowl now and its watered bowl season down so much that there are very few good, interesting bowl games, (outside of the playoff).

There are 41 bowl games.

15 bowl teams are 7-5

21 bowl teams are 6-6.

Minnesota is in at 5-7.
How did they get in at 5-7?

SMU's reward is getting to play 6-6 BC
The sooner no bowls exist the better.
Create an NIT type second level tournament

As long as there are sponsors willing to pay for a bowl game, there’s going to be bowl games. There’s no central authority that authorizes or can cut the number of bowl games.

So don’t watch
Most people won’t.

There used to be some interesting matchups between teams that never really played each other and were worth watching. Now it’s so watered down you don’t even get much of that anymore.

When they’re allowing in 6-6 and 5-7 programs because they don’t have enough teams to fill spots, it’s time to cull the herd.

Reactions: Westcoast24
Most people won’t.

There used to be some interesting matchups between teams that never really played each other and were worth watching. Now it’s so watered down you don’t even get much of that anymore.

When they’re allowing in 6-6 and 5-7 programs because they don’t have enough teams to fill spots, it’s time to cull the herd.
You would be surprised how many watch with gambling.

They’re never going to cut bowl games and the vast majority of college football fans like to see additional games. And the coaches absolutely love getting the additional practice time. Bowl games are not going anywhere , and in fact I wouldn’t be surprised to see more bowls in the future.

Reactions: joeaubie21
So dont ****ing watch them. Nobody is forcing you. Watch the final 4 cause that’s all you care about. This is still college sports and the kids work their asses off lots of people like these games
Great--create a large playoff so more can participate and a NIT type so they can play games.
You're allowed to like the bowls. I want them to cease to exist. Not sure why you can't accept that.

The sponsors must make money through TV, cause the stadiums are empty for a lot of the small bowls. I am amazed they keep going.

I like college football, so I'll watch. But won't go out of my way for many of them, until the bigger matchups start.

I would throw a rock through my TV before watching the NFL and basketball. Hockey is decent. So I hit a dark period for sports after the bowl games.

The sponsors must make money through TV, cause the stadiums are empty for a lot of the small bowls. I am amazed they keep going.

I like college football, so I'll watch. But won't go out of my way for many of them, until the bigger matchups start.

I would throw a rock through my TV before watching the NFL and basketball. Hockey is decent. So I hit a dark period for sports after the bowl games.
I love college football and watch as much as I can, including the bowl season. I like the NFL a lot, but it is not what it was. There is a lot of really bad nfl football and some of it is simply unwatchable.

There’s no central authority that authorizes or can cut the number of bowl games.
ESPN is almost a central authority since they broadcast the vast majority of the bowls. As long as there are sponsors for commercial advertising, they will air the games and pay the teams. Most of these games are made for TV anyway. Very few fans travel to see a 9-3 team or worse.

Everyone gets a bowl now and its watered bowl season down so much that there are very few good, interesting bowl games, (outside of the playoff).

There are 41 bowl games.

15 bowl teams are 7-5

21 bowl teams are 6-6.

Minnesota is in at 5-7.
How about all of them? Have a 24 or 32 team playoff.

Reactions: LandoComando
There will eventually be more teams in an expanded playoff so incorporate them into the larger field of teams. But for now so what if they are meaningless, just means more college football to watch. I'm in.

The bowls are good for people who enjoy sports and enjoy playing and watching football. So for me, I love them. For those who hate them so much, enjoy the next season of The Bachelor!

Most people won’t.

How exactly would cutting 10 bowl games between 7-5 teams make for “more interesting matchups” in the other 30 bowls?

Most people won’t.

Agreed. We should go back to 1994 when it was much better.

Reactions: dswartz
There will eventually be more teams in an expanded playoff so incorporate them into the larger field of teams. But for now so what if they are meaningless, just means more college football to watch. I'm in.
They are not meaningless to development of young players. It seems that every fan wants something that may or may not be in the best interest of development of players in the sport. And even if the field of 12 gets expanded to more participants, the bowls, in one form or another, old man will never go away. After all, corporate America couldn't sell tostitos or pest control without them. Lol

Reactions: PSU2UNC
They are not meaningless to development of young players. It seems that every fan wants something that may or may not be in the best interest of development of players in the sport. And even if the field of 12 gets expanded to more participants, the bowls, in one form or another, old man will never go away. After all, corporate America couldn't sell tostitos or pest control without them. Lol
I meant meaningless in the national championship picture, sorry for not elaborating.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
I meant meaningless in the national championship picture, sorry for not elaborating.
The CFP playoff has perpetuated meaningless competition during the regular season. The SEC and B1G have seized control of the committee which has been used as a tool for conference and TV market expansion..

Florida State was essentially black balled from the BS party because of conference affiliation, not record, not conference OOC P5 record or any other legitimate criteria. I am in no way a fan of the Seminole program but the corrupt CFP committee has stooped low and away from their written criteria enduring the illegitimacy of the 4 team playoff itself yet again.

The bowls are good for people who enjoy sports and enjoy playing and watching football. So for me, I love them. For those who hate them so much, enjoy the next season of The Bachelor!
You’re too kind. I think some people around here would rather watch the Golden Girls reruns than more college football.

There are 41 bowl games.

15 bowl teams are 7-5

21 bowl teams are 6-6.

Minnesota is in at 5-7.
I just don't understand why people make this argument... if you don't like it - don't f-ing watch! Why do you care so much if there are a bunch of 6-6 and 7-5 teams playing each other? It's good for the kids on those teams to play in another game and enjoy the bowl game experience. I enjoy watching (and betting on) college football, so the more-the-merrier for me. I won't watch every game, but I will watch quite a few. To me, choice and options are a good thing.

The fans of the 6-6 and 7-5 teams playing each other in the crappy minor bowl are more interested in that crappy minor bowl than they are in the playoff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT