ADVERTISEMENT

Very encouraged by Gross-Matos & Oweh

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
At the risk of looking ahead too far, our pass rush will be critical in the big games this year. We know Shareef can bring it, but he needs some help on the other side. Gross-Matos looked great yesterday and Oweh certainly looked like he can be a force at least on passing downs. Throw in the return of Simmons and I hope we'll be in good shape for the Big Ten slate!

ROAR LIONS ROAR!!!

Oweh looked a lot like the glimpses we saw of Shaka Toney last year - he clearly has a lot of learning to do as far as the techniques and consistency needed to be a complete DE, but he’s something to watch when you can let him just attack the QB and let his athleticism shine through. Gross-Matos is already a complete defensive end and is going to continue to be a pleasure to watch both against the run and the pass.

At the risk of looking ahead too far, our pass rush will be critical in the big games this year. We know Shareef can bring it, but he needs some help on the other side. Gross-Matos looked great yesterday and Oweh certainly looked like he can be a force at least on passing downs. Throw in the return of Simmons and I hope we'll be in good shape for the Big Ten slate!

ROAR LIONS ROAR!!!
oweh most likely is not going to be playing after the Illinois game until the end of the year. He's on the 4 game redshirt plan.

Reactions: nittanyfan333
Who thinks he is going to be here for a 5th year?

If he can help this year's team, he'll continue to get playing time, even if he is not a finished product.
apparently coach Franklin, as he is the one controlling the redshirts. Tarburton played in the first 2 games and in the post-game presser, coach Franklin explained what's happening in this situation.

Who thinks he is going to be here for a 5th year?

If he can help this year's team, he'll continue to get playing time, even if he is not a finished product.

agree - and he may be able to help this year. he already looks to be ahead of Shaka Toney. Toney has a hard time on the running plays - Oweh was able to stand up the the run better. I was surprised how effective Oweh was for a first game. given the depth problems on DE we will keep seeing him.

Oweh looked a lot like the glimpses we saw of Shaka Toney last year - he clearly has a lot of learning to do as far as the techniques and consistency needed to be a complete DE, but he’s something to watch when you can let him just attack the QB and let his athleticism shine through. Gross-Matos is already a complete defensive end and is going to continue to be a pleasure to watch both against the run and the pass.

Boy, I like Toney but IMHO Oweh looks ahead of him...right now. Bigger, stronger, faster. Oweh has "the look."

It will also depend on the health of the other DEs. They are going to need Simmons back for Ohio State or I would think some of the freshmen will be needed to join the rotation. You can't go against that O-line without depth or you will have a repeat of the defensive collapse last year. They have go play Ohio State three deep at DE.

Oweh look like beast coming off the edge. He was so fast looked like Maybin for a second. He's already at 255, another year maybe 270lbs. Once he learns the postion better he will be a good one.

It is my opinion that what we witnessed from Oweh insofar as his game-one performance perhaps stems from his two years of advanced coaching and training he received while attending Blair Academy. The advanced training and coaching he received while attending a prep school has given him a step forward ,and beyond the typical experience one receives from typical high school training and competition.. However, this alone does not explain in total the sole reasons for, or address, the emotional /physical development Oweh seems to have been blessed with. In any case, Oweh appears to be a definite plus and a real find for our program

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
It is my opinion that what we witnessed from Oweh insofar as his game-one performance perhaps stems from his two years of advanced coaching and training he received while attending Blair Academy. The advanced training and coaching he received while attending a prep school has given him a step forward ,and beyond the typical experience one receives from typical high school training and competition.. However, this alone does not explain in total the sole reasons for, or address, the emotional /physical development Oweh seems to have been blessed with. In any case, Oweh appears to be a definite plus and a real find for our program
I thought for sure this was some kind of joke, but the last sentence leads me to believe it's not. He was widely considered a project coming out of high school. In the all-star game he was completely overmatched. He's made unbelievable strides since arriving at PSU. If the coaching at Blar was so good, they would be producing way more D1 talent.

apparently coach Franklin, as he is the one controlling the redshirts. Tarburton played in the first 2 games and in the post-game presser, coach Franklin explained what's happening in this situation.
Franklin was explaining why Tarburton wasn't in. He might redshirt. Oweh won't.

You’re correct. Here’s Franklin’s answer:

“Now, all those guys have gained some experience, so some of those guys have two games left. If you look we played [Nick] Tarburton for two games. We said we're going to shut him down, use [Jayson] Oweh. We were able to get him some experience, and now we're in a situation where we can use Tarburton late in the season to solve some problems with injuries and hopefully still be able to redshirt him. So that's kind of what we're trying to do is manage it.”

I really don't think that's the case. If either of the two is not going to redshirt, it's Tarburton. He's ahead of Oweh on the depth chart, has been on campus longer, and saw the field first. Nobody that covers the team has ever reported that Oweh is anything but a redshirt this year. At this point, it would take probably 2 significant injuries at DE to pull Oweh's shirt.

I really don't think that's the case. If either of the two is not going to redshirt, it's Tarburton. He's ahead of Oweh on the depth chart, has been on campus longer, and saw the field first. Nobody that covers the team has ever reported that Oweh is anything but a redshirt this year. At this point, it would take probably 2 significant injuries at DE to pull Oweh's shirt.
That’s not accurate - at least when it comes to reporters with a paywall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT