ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer on BTN

sss

Jun 5, 2001
Just caught an interview with Urbs on BTN, where apparently he is now the know everything guy with respect to college football, but still knows nothing about Zach smith. At least no one asks him.
Asked about most impressive teams this weekend: Whisky and Iowa.
Asked about osu game this weekend vs Cincinnati: Says he is worried about post game media if OSU only wins by a couple TDs. Already prepping the media. If OSU blows them out it is because they are great. If it is close, don’t worry they are still great.
Asked about 2 teams in conference scoring 79 points this past weekend: Says he is mostly concerned about player safety on the other side. He thinks coach should talk to AD about scheduling a weaker FCS opponent. OK to schedule a MAC team. He would be worried if there was passing late in the game. But if it’s that backups playing hard, that’s what they should do. Also said he remembers being a part of these type of games, but only as an assistant on the losing side. And was just concerned about player safety. Not one single positive comment about PSU or MD. So I had to take a look and see if Urbs ever was head coach in one of these games (maybe his memory was failing him again?):

2013 osu vs Florida a&m. 76-0 Osu QB throws 6 tds
2010 FLA vs App St (1-AA) 48-10
2009 FLA vs Charleston So. 62-3
2008 FLA vs Citadel. 70-19
2006 FLA vs Western Carolina 62-0

Then it was back to the regularly scheduled OSU and UM replays from this past weekend.

Just caught an interview with Urbs on BTN, where apparently he is now the know everything guy with respect to college football, but still knows nothing about Zach smith. At least no one asks him.
Asked about osu game this weekend vs Cincinnati: Says he is worried about post game media if OSU only wins by a couple TDs. Already prepping the media. If OSU blows them out it is because they are great. If it is close, don’t worry they are still great.
Asked about 2 teams in conference scoring 79 points this past weekend: Says he is mostly concerned about player safety on the other side. He thinks coach should talk to AD about scheduling a weaker FCS opponent. OK to schedule a MAC team. He would be worried if there was passing late in the game. But if it’s that backups playing hard, that’s what they should do. Also said he remembers being a part of these type of games, but only as an assistant on the losing side. And was just concerned about player safety. Not one single positive comment about PSU or MD. So I had to take a look and see if Urbs ever was head coach in one of these games (maybe his memory was failing him again?):

Then it was back to the regularly scheduled OSU and UM replays from this past weekend.
The Big10 sucks!

I used to enjoy BTN. Felt that the first few years they at least tried to be objective. Over the last 2-3 seasons, they have simply given up the objectivity and become cheerleaders, and mouth-pieces for OSU and UM.

The BTN hired Dave Wannstedt. Dave Wannstedt! What the hell does Dave Wannstedt have to do with the big ten?

I'll tell you. He's there to shit on us. To pick pitt over us when we have 10+ line on them. It's total BS. Michigan and osu get shills on this channel, and they actually hired someone just to shit on us. It's ridiculous and it's VERY obvious what's going on.

Isn't Wanny on Fox's coverage not BTN. I may have missed it if he has moved to BTN.

Isn't Wanny on Fox's coverage not BTN. I may have missed it if he has moved to BTN.

https://btn.com/2019/08/22/btn-announces-on-air-talent-for-2019-football-season/

"Hosts Dave Revsine, Mike Hall and Pizzo will once again anchor studio coverage for BTN, alongside Coley Harvey who will make his debut with BTN in a reporting role. They will be joined by an accomplished group of analysts, including new additions in three-time national champion coach Urban Meyer, two-time All-Big Ten defensive tackle and Michigan Wolverine Mike Martin and former San Diego Chargers and Ohio State Buckeyes linebacker Joshua Perry. Martin, Meyer and Perry will become a part of an experienced roster, which also includes BTN and FOX Sports veterans Gerry DiNardo, Howard Griffith, Glen Mason and Dave Wannstedt."

*the names were bolded by the BTN website.

His wiki mostly mentions being on Fox, and I know they are one and the same, but he is definitely on the btn team these days.

And, as I read your post with BTN on, it’s how great Fields did on Saturday. Then letting viewers know that suburban Meyer is coming up to give his thoughts on the conference.
Turned channel.
You’re correct on your assessment.

OL

Reactions: sss
I only watch btn when a Penn State game is on.

That's exactly where I have gone too. Same as with espn. Only watch BTN or espn if a game is on that I really want to see. But definitely do not and would not watch any of their studio talk shows........... why do I care what a bunch of ex-Ohio State guys think.

They need to rename the network from BTN to the OSMN (Ohio State Michigan Network) so that the name is no longer misleading, because the current name does not follow any truth in advertising guidelines.

It is pretty much all about OSU and UM.

Yea, it was difficult watching the BTN talking heads before, now its painful.

Just curious if anyone who has friends out there that are fans of other Big Ten schools. Do they also see the obvious bias towards OSU and UM that the BTN has like we do? OR have they just been beaten down so bad that they just don’t care or do they have Stockholm syndrome with regard to OSU and UM?

You would think that at some point the other schools would say, “ Yeah, like what Penn State said, you don’t appreciate us!”

I’m not trying to be funny, I’m just curious why don’t the other schools say the same thing that this is BS!

Last edited:
The BTN hired Dave Wannstedt. Dave Wannstedt! What the hell does Dave Wannstedt have to do with the big ten?

I'll tell you. He's there to shit on us. To pick pitt over us when we have 10+ line on them. It's total BS. Michigan and osu get shills on this channel, and they actually hired someone just to shit on us. It's ridiculous and it's VERY obvious what's going on.

Yea it seems to be that the only requirement to get on BTN is to have played for OSU or Michy.:rolleyes:
But I will say right now I thought James L. was very good in studio and I thought he was by far one of the better color guys that have done our games. I watched the replay and thought he was really good.

Yea it seems to be that the only requirement to get on BTN is to have played for OSU or Michy.:rolleyes:
But I will say right now I thought James L. was very good in studio and I thought he was by far one of the better color guys that have done our games. I watched the replay and thought he was really good.
Agree on James. Knowledgeable and objective.

Reactions: 84Lion
I see absolutely no reason to watch the channel unless a Penn State football game (or the occasional volleyball match) is on. It doesn’t even cross my mind to turn the channel on.

Reactions: BBrown
Urb's will be at USC next year - just enough "penance" time for being a complete douche at UF and O$U.

Reactions: BBrown

Totally admit that some of the OSU guys are pretty good. For example, over on espn I believe Joey Galloway is one of their best college football studio analysts and is very unbiased. I actually enjoy the college football wrap-up show with Galloway & Jesse Palmer. I feel those two guys are both better, more professional, less biased, and more knowledgeable than the ass-clown show of Herbstreit-Corso-Fowler & Mush Mouth Howard.

It just seems to me that over the last few years BTN has lost all sense of equality among the conference and treating all 14 teams fairly, to become opinionated talk-shows supporting OSU and Michigan.

Kind of like FOX News is totally slanted right-wing and CNN is totally slanted left-wing.... BTN has now gone that path and has become totally slanted towards 2 of it's members.

I will say right now I thought James L. was very good in studio and I thought he was by far one of the better color guys that have done our games. I watched the replay and thought he was really good.

I agree it's hard to complain about his performance last week. Too bad they're not all like that. Once he establishes himself they'll indoctrinate him.

Jesse Palmer has the IQ of a Turnip.

Of course, your post was - admittedly - damning with faint praise

I find him more straight line football knowledgeable, and without bias, than any of the clowns on GameDay. He might be as bright as a turnip, but that's still smarter than Howard, Corso or Herbstreit

Urb's will be at USC next year - just enough "penance" time for being a complete douche at UF and O$U.
There is absolutely no doubt that he'll coach again. Just a matter of where and when.

Isn't Meyer employed by O$U in some capacity still? Some AD position with a salary? If so, his relationship with BTN seems like a conflict of interest.

Last edited:
Reactions: odshowtime
Agree on James. Knowledgeable and objective.

Compared to many color analysts these days, I thought he provided a good balance of "interest" stuff and technical info, and especially did not seem to talk too much. It seems that too many PxP and color commentators these days think "dead air" is a sin.

Compared to many color analysts these days, I thought he provided a good balance of "interest" stuff and technical info, and especially did not seem to talk too much. It seems that too many PxP and color commentators these days think "dead air" is a sin.
I saw a spot on BTN Where JL was talking with another host about Northwestern/Stanford and player GPA's. The other host mentioned JL's 4.0 GPA at OSU. They could have been joking, but their tone made it seem like he actually had a 4.0.

The BTN doesn’t hire analysts to be objective. Their only job is to get ratings. It’s all about viewership, as that’s what brings in the advertising dollars.

I am beyond outraged that after televising our game last Saturday that they will not have BTN: Football in 60 for our game on once this week. Only explanation is a conscience decision by BTN to stick it to us. Sickening and despicable to the 10th power

The BTN doesn’t hire analysts to be objective. Their only job is to get ratings. It’s all about viewership, as that’s what brings in the advertising dollars.

Yes, so the big ten network is now a reflection of the conference as a whole.

"Shut up, bend over and spread 'em. Or we take away the money."

Yes, so the big ten network is now a reflection of the conference as a whole.

"Shut up, bend over and spread 'em. Or we take away the money."
They are no different than every other network, whether it’s news, sports, financial news, or even the HGTV network. Their business is to get viewers and sell advertising. I suppose they believed that not too many viewers across the country would be interested in watching a replay of the PSU blowout of Idaho.

Apparently he "forgot" when he was running up the score over a depleted PSU team in 2013, full of walk on's and 1* players that were victims of the worst sanctions in NCAA history. That 63-14 beat-down over a bunch of scrappy kids who stuck it out despite being denied a season to play for will never be forgiven - ever. Also BTN makes me sick. I hate those inbred, moronic, Midwestern hicks who think the world revolves around Michigan and ahia state. I've seen WPSU shows that had higher production value

I saw where they had Klatt on and Howard pressed him on why he didn’t have us ranked preseason and now had us at #14 - he is a tool but at least was honest and said preseason ranking are just click bait.

They are no different than every other network, whether it’s news, sports, financial news, or even the HGTV network. Their business is to get viewers and sell advertising. I suppose they believed that not too many viewers across the country would be interested in watching a replay of the PSU blowout of Idaho.

I understand business and I'm not complaining about Idaho. What I don't get is how there is so much more profit in pimping michigan and ohio than Pennsylvania. I do not understand the economics of that. And hence why I call foul on all of this; the bias throughout the entire system. TV, the conference, NCAA, polls, the whole thing.

I'm not a delusional pitt fan. Penn State is a huge institution in a huge state with a huge alumni and fan presence. Why are we relegated behind these trash mid-western dump states?

And FYI I'm not asking you personally. It's rhetorical unless someone has some reliable stats.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT