ADVERTISEMENT

From an OSU fan

BuckI4life

Dec 6, 2002
Hi! I am an OSU fan who just stopped by to see the status of your quarterback. I’m glad to see he is doing better. He seems like a good kid, and I can’t imagine how hard it is for his parents to have to watch him play when so obviously hurting. I’m glad to hear he won’t be hurting this Saturday!

That said, I glanced around your board and saw some threads about firing Franklin, and then all the people who are worried you’d never get anyone better. You would. I’ve been an OSU fan for a really long time, and we haven’t always had obvious homerun hires. Tressel? Day? They are great, but no one was beating down their doors. Penn State was built by one man. You didn’t have to worry about your coaching situation for a really long time. I wonder if that made you all gun shy. Yes, if you get a new coach things could get worse, but if you don’t get one things will never get better. Coaches just don’t change that much. I feel like penn state just kind of stagnates, and then you worry Franklin will leave you. I wouldn’t! You guys are freaking Penn State. You are a blue blood and a powerhouse school. If he thinks he can do better, show him the door. Coaches shouldn’t leave our schools, they should get fired if they don’t perform. Then we can try again. It kinda annoys me that Franklin can be cavalier about leaving Penn State. Sure, pay him what he’s worth, but not more.

I want the Big 10 to be great, and while I think Franklin is good for OSU, I don’t think he’s the best Penn State can do. He’s too cool and popular and not enough of a leader and motivator. Just my 2 cents, though. I’m not trying to upset anyone, and what fans think doesn’t change anything, but I’ve been wondering for awhile why penn state doesn’t see their brand as more valuable and move on. But who knows, maybe he’ll beat us this weekend and make you all happy again.
And if I have upset you, just remember that I’m an OSU fan who works at McDonalds and lives in my parents’ basement, so my opinion is worthless anyway.

Good luck this weekend. I seriously do hope that Clifford is ok, even though I’m sure he will be tough for our D.

Yes, if you get a new coach things could get worse, but if you don’t get one things will never get better. Coaches just don’t change that much. I feel like penn state just kind of stagnates, and then you worry Franklin will leave you
Thank Day for not giving Allar or Kaden Saunders any attention for us. We happen to love when Franklin takes recruits from your doorstep. Now get lost!!!

Thanks for the post. The comment about living in your parent’s basement and working at McDonald”s was kind of funny (and probably true).

Not sure if you’re a legit OSU fan or just a creative Troll, but I don’t think OSU has anything to worry about on Saturday unfortunately.

Hi! I am an OSU fan who just stopped by to see the status of your quarterback. I’m glad to see he is doing better. He seems like a good kid, and I can’t imagine how hard it is for his parents to have to watch him play when so obviously hurting. I’m glad to hear he won’t be hurting this Saturday!

That said, I glanced around your board and saw some threads about firing Franklin, and then all the people who are worried you’d never get anyone better. You would. I’ve been an OSU fan for a really long time, and we haven’t always had obvious homerun hires. Tressel? Day? They are great, but no one was beating down their doors. Penn State was built by one man. You didn’t have to worry about your coaching situation for a really long time. I wonder if that made you all gun shy. Yes, if you get a new coach things could get worse, but if you don’t get one things will never get better. Coaches just don’t change that much. I feel like penn state just kind of stagnates, and then you worry Franklin will leave you. I wouldn’t! You guys are freaking Penn State. You are a blue blood and a powerhouse school. If he thinks he can do better, show him the door. Coaches shouldn’t leave our schools, they should get fired if they don’t perform. Then we can try again. It kinda annoys me that Franklin can be cavalier about leaving Penn State. Sure, pay him what he’s worth, but not more.

I want the Big 10 to be great, and while I think Franklin is good for OSU, I don’t think he’s the best Penn State can do. He’s too cool and popular and not enough of a leader and motivator. Just my 2 cents, though. I’m not trying to upset anyone, and what fans think doesn’t change anything, but I’ve been wondering for awhile why penn state doesn’t see their brand as more valuable and move on. But who knows, maybe he’ll beat us this weekend and make you all happy again.
And if I have upset you, just remember that I’m an OSU fan who works at McDonalds and lives in my parents’ basement, so my opinion is worthless anyway.

Good luck this weekend. I seriously do hope that Clifford is ok, even though I’m sure he will be tough for our D.
Yawn.

Trolls on this board ? You're kidding.
I’m actually what I said I was, an OSU fan/alum. I went to undergrad and Med school at OSU and have a child there now.

I really did come here to check on Clifford. My son broke his hip playing soccer last year, and still played out the season before having it pinned back together. It was awful as a parent to watch. I hate injuries — these players spend so much time in their sports and it can end in a second for them.

I don’t want to watch a player play in pain for the game Saturday. Sounds like some of you think it still may happen, which stinks. I’m not pushing any agenda.

If not for the unlikeliest of late-game theatrics, CJF should be going into this game with a chance to tie his record at PSU vs OSU at 4-4. Message is loud and clear.

Reactions: SR108
I thought it was a nice post and I agree with you. Penn State, if we lose to OSU, Michigan and MSU, should fire Franklin. We want to win, plain and simple.

Ok, but know one believes you went to med school, or that your wimpy son played sawkur with a broken hip, now, go back to your shift at the rubber hose factory in Ravenna or wherever you're from
I know you don’t know me or my children, and I don’t mind you insulting me (although I truly don’t believe I have said anything insulting or cruel, and have tried to be supportive of your athletes). There is no reason to insult a child in any way, though, even if you believe that said child is fictional. I hope that this is some kind of angry message board persona, and not how you live your life.

Anyway, good luck to Penn State on Saturday. The team is talented with a lot of tradition and honestly I have enjoyed watching our games against Penn State more than those against Michigan lately. The whiteout is pretty incredible.

I know you don’t know me or my children, and I don’t mind you insulting me (although I truly don’t believe I have said anything insulting or cruel, and have tried to be supportive of your athletes). There is no reason to insult a child in any way, though, even if you believe that said child is fictional. I hope that this is some kind of angry message board persona, and not how you live your life.

Anyway, good luck to Penn State on Saturday. The team is talented with a lot of tradition and honestly I have enjoyed watching our games against Penn State more than those against Michigan lately. The whiteout is pretty incredible.
There are a lot of angry assholes on here who think that they are entitled to win every game no matter what. If PSU wins it is in spite of the coach and if they lose it is because of the coach. Don't take it personally. Here's to hoping Clifford is healthy (not sure if he is 🤷‍♂️ 🙏 🤞) and we blow you out on Saturday night. A guy can dream ;)

The OP is right - settling for pretty good seems to be the new MO in Happy Valley. Not sure why, but if we’re the blue blood we claim to be (maybe we aren’t, at least anymore?) then why the hell should we settle for such mediocrity, especially in big games. I’m not going to knock Franklin - by all accounts he appears to be doing his level best to improve Penn State football. But if he can’t compete with the perennial powers in the conference, then maybe his best just isn’t good enough. I sincerely hope he figures things out, but as a fan, it grows increasingly tiresome having the air come out of our season every year before Halloween. The success from 2016 doesn’t have to be every year, but it sure as hell should be a legitimate yearly goal instead of just a pipe dream.

You're trying too hard ! I'm not a PSU fan either and I learned that the key - to survival on this board - is to compliment them 5 to 10 % of the time (that's enough). The other 90% of the time just be a total ass and you'll be accepted with open arms - you'll be one of the boys

My son broke his hip playing soccer last year, and still played out the season before having it pinned back together. It was awful as a parent to watch.
How could you possibly let your son play soccer with a broken hip. A hip injury ruined Bo Jackson's career, and I don't think he even broke it.

Reactions: OhioLion
You're trying too hard ! I'm not a PSU fan either and I learned that the key - to survival on this board - is to compliment them 5 to 10 % of the time (that's enough). The other 90% of the time just be a total ass and you'll be accepted with open arms - you'll be one of the boys
Thanks. It’s probably because I’m a girl (hence the mama bear coming out) and we communicate differently!

Reactions: gslachta
How could you possibly let your son play soccer with a broken hip. A hip injury ruined Bo Jackson's career, and I don't think he even broke it.
It was an avulsion fracture and his orthopedist thought that with PT it would heal while he played. It did not. In retrospect, I wish we had just gone straight to the surgery, but he wanted to play badly and only gets four seasons of high school soccer. Luckily he did recover after surgery, but I have certainly second guessed our decision.

It was an avulsion fracture and his orthopedist thought that with PT it would heal while he played. It did not. In retrospect, I wish we had just gone straight to the surgery, but he wanted to play badly and only gets four seasons of high school soccer. Luckily he did recover after surgery, but I have certainly second guessed our decision.
I am very glad everything worked out. However, if it was my son, he would have only played 3 seasons of soccer. I realize parents have difficult decisions to make, but when I was playing pop warner football, I almost broke my neck when tackling a runner in the knees head first. Youngsters don't appreciate the dangers of injury and think they are invincible.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
Really 1972? Not a Penn State fan? It a Michigan fan either? I hope you change your handle on the new sight. Truth in advertising.

Is Bucknut1972 still available there? Go for it!

The OP is right - settling for pretty good seems to be the new MO in Happy Valley. Not sure why, but if we’re the blue blood we claim to be (maybe we aren’t, at least anymore?) then why the hell should we settle for such mediocrity, especially in big games. I’m not going to knock Franklin - by all accounts he appears to be doing his level best to improve Penn State football. But if he can’t compete with the perennial powers in the conference, then maybe his best just isn’t good enough. I sincerely hope he figures things out, but as a fan, it grows increasingly tiresome having the air come out of our season every year before Halloween. The success from 2016 doesn’t have to be every year, but it sure as hell should be a legitimate yearly goal instead of just a pipe dream.
And 2016 was a 3 loss year! With 2 games that should have been won if not for underachievement.

So, Clifford is 100% now? He couldn't play at all three weeks ago, practiced ONE time two weeks ago, got hammered, couldn't run, had very little arm strength one week ago...but now he's 100%?

OSU is pushing this narrative for some reason. I'm guessing so the trouncing will appear to be more impressive.
OSU pushing the narrative?

I'm pretty sure both Franklin and Clifford himself said they expect him to be 100% for kickoff. That's not an OSU narrative. That's coming directly from PSU.

If not for the unlikeliest of late-game theatrics, CJF should be going into this game with a chance to tie his record at PSU vs OSU at 4-4. Message is loud and clear.

Well, late game theatrics is part of football. Maybe don't hand the ball off to the RB on a critical 4th and 5 next time?

Those unlikeliest of late game theatrics also beat OSU in 2016 and put us on the map. Without that play, who knows where we are as a program right now. It goes both ways. That's the beauty of the game.

Hopefully we get back to late game theatrics this time around, because the past two matchups have been increasingly decisive.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
Anyone who puts that much effort into writing a long post which tries to mask back handed insults with back handed compliments is obviously trolling. Good trolls are honest. They don’t try to hide the fact they’re trolls. They don’t pretend to be fans of other teams. Their posts are humorous even if they’re just being a dick. Good trolls disappear after game day.

I’m actually what I said I was, an OSU fan/alum. I went to undergrad and Med school at OSU and have a child there now.

I really did come here to check on Clifford. My son broke his hip playing soccer last year, and still played out the season before having it pinned back together. It was awful as a parent to watch. I hate injuries — these players spend so much time in their sports and it can end in a second for them.

I don’t want to watch a player play in pain for the game Saturday. Sounds like some of you think it still may happen, which stinks. I’m not pushing any agenda.
You’re not? Sure as hell fooled me.

I do wonder why Franklins name comes up every time there is a job opening at a major program and the way he handles it seems less than satisfactory if he really wanted to stay at PSU - I get it that he is looking out for his own self interest but as a fan it get a bit tiresome especially after I say through that sh$t show in the rain last weekend for Homecoming.

I agree, We should pitch him out like the Browns toss coaches. This is pro football after all. Isn't it?

Plus, he's bad for gambling.

Good perspective there on cfb. Rhanks for stopping by to provide scintillating commentary.

Now gfy.

• Love
Reactions: PearlSUJam
Very rational and balanced post.

Reactions: SR108

Unfortunately, Here’s what I predict this Saturday night 🤦‍♂️ and I’m a PSU grad and long time fan since JoePa took over in ‘65.
EDIT: Hope I’m wrong and we stay within the spread, but OSU has all the reasons and built in BCS incentives to deliver a loud message this weekend !

Or maybe it’s more than just the coach considering the last six years has been pretty much what PSU has been for the last 30+ years.

Or maybe it’s more than just the coach considering the last six years has been pretty much what PSU has been for the last 30+ years.
Absolutely…which was one of my major arguments refuting the narrative in the wake of the Sandusky scandal that we were some sort of football factory. True football factories would never settle for such an extended period of relative mediocrity.

Of course, this still leaves the question of why we have been so comfortable with the status quo?

Remember what Rodney Erickson said after taking over on an interim basis back in 2012 after the Sandusky scandal:
The PSU administration wants to place less emphasis on football because of the culture that may have contributed to the scandal, and more emphasis on academics (paraphrasing somewhat)
EDIT: Seems to me they haven’t accomplished either, since football remains a big deal (although not quite what it was under JoePa from 1968-1995 during the Grand Experiment), while academics seems to have declined overall by most rankings I’ve seen since Erickson and Barron have run Penn State University.

Reactions: psu00 and nits74
OSU pushing the narrative?

I'm pretty sure both Franklin and Clifford himself said they expect him to be 100% for kickoff. That's not an OSU narrative. That's coming directly from PSU.
He might start the game at 100% but after a few shots he won't be for long.

Was just told by friends in Columbus that Clifford is being projected as 100% by the PSU coaching staff - on the TV stations there. It was also pointed out - without going back and checking - that SC threw for 280+ yards last year against OSU and those guys (OSU) are expecting the usual tough game again. Many are very nervous as the sportscasters are pointing out the the PSU defense is solid and they probably have the best secondary in the conference. This one could go well into the 4th quarter before it's decided.

What's crazy is that many OSU fans - and all their coaches - are really nervous and don't consider this a sure thing at all. Most are far more concerned with PSU than MSU or Michigan. On the other hand, it seems like many PSU fans are already throwing in the towel - which is just crazy judging by the recent past history in this series.

Reactions: rudedude
Was just told by friends in Columbus that Clifford is being projected as 100% by the PSU coaching staff - on the TV stations there. It was also pointed out - without going back and checking - that SC threw for 280+ yards last year against OSU and those guys (OSU) are expecting the usual tough game again. Many are very nervous as the sportscasters are pointing out the the PSU defense is solid and they probably have the best secondary in the conference. This one could go well into the 4th quarter before it's decided.

What's crazy is that many OSU fans - and all their coaches - are really nervous and don't consider this a sure thing at all. Most are far more concerned with PSU than MSU or Michigan. On the other hand, it seems like many PSU fans are already throwing in the towel - which is just crazy judging by the recent past history in this series.
Haven’t gone over to their boards at all, so I’ll take your word for it. Seems like this may have been the case up until the Iowa game and even after the loss to Iowa, since most everyone saw what the injury to Clifford did in that loss. Somewhat surprised after the Illinois debacle, where the entire team seemed to sleep walk after a bye week.

Nice sentiment but let me ask you a question. Would Ryan Day leave for USC if offered? That underscores the difference between Ohio and Penn right now. I use the Texas colloquialism so please indulge me. After all, those are small states. :cool:

I would think the only reason your here is PSU is 18.5 point underdog and you have a nice easy win Saturday. Hope your day turns for the worse. We are!!!!!!!

Reactions: odshowtime
I do wonder why Franklins name comes up every time there is a job opening at a major program and the way he handles it seems less than satisfactory if he really wanted to stay at PSU - I get it that he is looking out for his own self interest but as a fan it get a bit tiresome especially after I say through that sh$t show in the rain last weekend for Homecoming.
I think PSU the last 20 years, is seen by people in the coaching profession as a stepping stone school, a stopover to a blue blood school. Thats my opinion

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT