ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs Ohio State

True story, I was watching an Iowa match with my girlfriend who’s becoming a wrestling fan. They kept showing Terry with his messed up hair and disheveled clothing rocking nonstop in his chair. She looks at me and says, “awe that’s sweet”. I asked, what’s sweet? She answered, “ that they let him sit in the corner with the team.” I about spit out my beer…
this did not happen but i appreciate the humor.

True, but Tim Johnson (who is supposed to know something about wrestling) and the BTN play by play guy both thought the score was 5-2, for about the last full minute of the match. Even though it clearly should have been 5-3 after the Ayala escape. Some really bad announcing.

Just awful. And they never went back to correct themselves. If there is someone out there who was just listening to them, he probably thinks the match went to OT on a rare three-point takedown by Ayala.

Kharchla got his signature win tonight....he's going to be tough be beat from here on out,
Coming from behind with 20 sec left on the clock to win vs a top opponent is something special...kudos to Kharchal. This may be the match that propels him...
Agree with this guy. Between Kharchla beating Bull and Berge looking like a legitimate contender, 165 was blown wide open last night. This class is now shaping up to be the one I want to see the most at nationals. My money is currently on O'Toole, but it's going to be a wild ride with at least a dozen contenders and no one favorite.

Agree with this guy. Between Kharchla beating Bull and Berge looking like a legitimate contender, 165 was blown wide open last night. This class is now shaping up to be the one I want to see the most at nationals. My money is currently on O'Toole, but it's going to be a wild ride with at least a dozen contenders and no one favorite.
what is your definition of "legitimate contender?" are you saying berge can win 165 because he beat cam amine???

Reactions: MVPFAN and fronk71
Legitimate contender for what? Low AA? R12? I could maybe agree with those takes.

But if you consider Berge a contender for anything beyond low AA based on a controlled, two-point win over the #10 ranked guy just back from a long layoff, well, ... no.

Also, 165 was not blown wide open. The #7 ranked guy beat the #1 ranked guy by one point with a late TD. It was a very nice win for Kharchla, but hardly a shocking upset. And all the other top guys (Wick, O'Toole, Griffith, Wittlake, etc) and yes, Marinelli, are still around.

Last edited:
Legitimate contender for what? Low AA? R12? I could maybe agree with those takes.

But if you consider Berge a contender for anything beyond low AA based on a controlled, two-point win over the #10 ranked guy just back from a long layoff, well, ... no.

Also, 165 was not blown wide open. The #7 ranked guy beat the #1 ranked guy by one point with a late TD. It was a very nice win for Kharchla, but hardly a shocking upset. And all the other top guys (Wick, O'Toole, Griffith, Wittlake, etc) and yes, Marinelli, are still around.
Can we say it changed Bulls placement? May end up 4th or 5th now. Giving others an easier draw

Can we say it changed Bulls placement? May end up 4th or 5th now. Giving others an easier draw
while he was ranked first due to legacy who was actually picking him to win other than iowa fans? o’toole, wick, griffith, kharchla, and even hamiti seem to be more popular picks. i don’t think anything changed last night other than berge proving he’s a top 15 guy (at least).

Yeah, it's a dual meet in January. Just stop.

Right. A dual meet in January.

Look, I don't know the guy, he could be a wonderful human being.

But like the rest of the Iowa team, he looks like he's been clubbed like a baby seal.

When you hear about Penn State, you hear Cael saying "have fun out there'.

Maybe it's not fun to wrestle for Iowa or the wonder twins.

Like Kollin Moore’s mom when it was clear Kollin would face Bo in the finals (Bo had just decked Brucki in the semis)
Moore gave it a serious try the first match, plus talked a little shit "myles had him pinned", "yeah I can beat him" and Bo put him in his place. After that Bo was overly nice to him in the Big10 finals and in the NCAA finals it was almost like Moore told Bo before hand, look I will lay down and you be nice to me. Bo wrestled him like he was afraid to hurt him.

Moore's mom need not have worried.

Last edited:
The only match I was really disappointed in was Hildebrand and Suriano. That 3rd period is what kills folk style wrestling. Allowing a guy to simply ride and do or try nothing, is complete nonsense.

You should get 30 seconds max, to get it going or we're standing you up. All the other matches had guys try to turn the wrestler. If you're on top, you need to do something. If you're on bottom, you need to do something. 30 seconds or the stall points start flowing, or you're being stood u

True story, I was watching an Iowa match with my girlfriend who’s becoming a wrestling fan. They kept showing Terry with his messed up hair and disheveled clothing rocking nonstop in his chair. She looks at me and says, “awe that’s sweet”. I asked, what’s sweet? She answered, “ that they let him sit in the corner with the team.” I about spit out my beer…
That's classic lmfao.

what is your definition of "legitimate contender?" are you saying berge can win 165 because he beat cam amine???
I'm saying he looks great, and he could win because of the parity in the class. No one looks like a clear favorite, and there is a much longer list of guys with a shot in this class than the others. I certainly don't expect Berge (or any one particular person at this point) to win the class, but I like the way it's shaping up across the entire class. This class is going to be a wild ride.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT