ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs Ohio State

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
Not a PSU post, but for those that like good wrestling, this match matters. It's on BTN, following PSU vs Michigan.

Assuming all go...

125: Ayala is the real deal. Heinselman has more career bouts under his belt, but Ayala's talent is too much. May be a major.
133: DeSanto easy if he goes.
141: Eireman an easy winner too, vs D'Emilio.
149: Last time they wrestled it was Sasso by FALL over Murin. Could be a decision, but Sasso won't be threatened.
157: Young over Hepner, but not by much.
165: Feature bout? Really, really close match-up. Home-mat advantage for Kharchla could be the difference.
174: Kemerer of old wouldn't have any problems. He has been lights-out the past 3 bouts, but the competition here (Smith) is infinitely better than what he's faced. This bout will tell us alot about Kemerer.
184: Assad/Romero a toss-up on paper. Home-mat effect again?
197: I don't see a path for Hoffman winning here. It'll be close imo, and when it's close anything can happen, but Warner the clear favorite.
285: Cassioppi should handle Orndorff.

Last edited:
I am really interested in seeing the Kharchla matchup. The Bull's experience may be the difference, but I am expecting a close match. Kharchla is really sound, but not on the Bull's level yet.

Reactions: Creek Side
Not a PSU post, but for those that like good wrestling, this match matters. It's on BTN, following PSU vs Michigan.

Assuming all go...

125: Ayala is the real deal. Heinselman has more career bouts under his belt, but Ayala's talent is too much. May be a major.
149: Last time they wrestled it was Sasso by FALL over Murin. Could be a decision, but Sasso won't be threatened.
165: Feature bout? Really, really close match-up. Home-mat advantage for Karchla could be the difference.
174: Kemerer of old wouldn't have any problems. He has been lights-out the past 3 bouts, but the competition here (Smith) is infinitely better than what he's faced. This bout will tell us alot about Kemerer.
197: I don't see a path for Hoffman winning here. It'll be close imo, and when it's close anything can happen, but Warner the clear favorite.
The dual itself shouldn't be close, but as you have highlighted there are some good match-ups.

I am really interested in seeing the Kharchla matchup. The Bull's experience may be the difference, but I am expecting a close match. Kharchla is really sound, but not on the Bull's level yet.
Agree, think Bull gets him this match but in March it may be a different story. I’ll also say Romero beats Assad comfortably.

Reactions: PD4thespawn

Assuming all go...

165: Feature bout? Really, really close match-up. Home-mat advantage for Karchla could be the difference.
I'm very interested in the Kemerer vs Smith matchup.

Kem has looked great so far, but Smith has an amazing ability to pull better wrestlers into 1 score matches in the 3rd. If Kem can run him off the mat, I'll be impressed.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
That's truly a good 4 hours of wrestling right there. The good news is B1G Today is on before the match, so we should not have a delay due to BBall. tOSU a little down but 4 of the best programs out there.

Smith has an amazing ability to pull better wrestlers into 1 score matches in the 3rd.
At 165 I'd agree. Unfortunately, he's stuck at 174 this year. I don't think Smith looked good at 174 last year (no where near his 165 performances). I think he gassed a bit at the end of the Massa match. That said, it'll be interesting to see if any Smith scrambling causes problems with Kemerer's shoulder. Barring that, I think Kemerer wins pretty easily.

I'm very interested in the Kemerer vs Smith matchup.

Kem has looked great so far, but Smith has an amazing ability to pull better wrestlers into 1 score matches in the 3rd. If Kem can run him off the mat, I'll be impressed.
He looks great for a guy wrestling with one arm. Shoulder injuries suck.

He looks great for a guy wrestling with one arm. Shoulder injuries suck.
He is looking better than I expected. Which duals he wrestles the next few weeks should provide some (gold) intel on how good he is feeling.

Kharchla vs Marinelli has the feel of a very tight learning lesson for Kharchla, with the Buckeye coming up a touch short. However, come tournament time, you can see the different outcome happening from miles away!

Kharchla vs Marinelli has the feel of a very tight learning lesson for Kharchla, with the Buckeye coming up a touch short. However, come tournament time, you can see the different outcome happening from miles away!
Marinelli is pretty brutal for a young kid to deal with in their first meeting. Hard to get used to the elite strength and power. That said Alex peaks the first week of March, book it.

Anyone wanna offer me odds on actually getting Marinelli-Kharchla and Kemerer-Smith? Feels unlikely. Think Kharchla could well make a run at him, but wonder if he’ll have issues on bottom.

Where did you ever get the idea that an Ohio State wrestler might have issues on bottom?
jason-nolf-of-penn-state-wrestles-micah-jordan-of-ohio-state-in-the-picture-id932938840

adding his R/S season, Kharchla is 31-1 - only loss is to Griffith at CKLV. Bull will have his hands full ...

I'll predict the upset here - Kharchla 4-3 over Bull
Love this matchup, Bull is one tough SOB (until he breaks a rib anyway) Karchla would be the future of 165 if he wasnt at, well, you know where…

Im gonna say Bull in a tight one, but Karchla if this happens late in Detroit, or even at B10’s.

Reactions: NittanyChris
I think Bull will win. Hes a tough out any time but March. Hes also extremely tough that first go due to his style and pressure. So I think he wins this one in another close match with limited action of note.

that said, as a message board lover, the upset right now would just be awesome for the next 45 days of discussion.

165 is nuts this year. I expect Hamiti and Kharchla to push him to the brink, if not beat him, and I don't think he matches up well against the current version of Wick, or O'Toole.

Also, it's kind of crazy how quickly Hamiti has developed. Facundo beat both Hamiti and Julian Ramirez this spring; they are both ranked in the top 10 by Intermat and Facundo is on RS behind a fringe NQ.

Last edited:
Good discussion about Kharchla v Marinelli. The third-year freshman may or may not have all of his man-strength yet (i.e. he should continue to get stronger and better), while Marinelli, as a 6th-year senior does. That said, Marinelli wrestles close matches against not just the top guys, but the next tier too. Examples are a 1-point win vs Carlson (Minn) and a 3-point win vs Braunagel (ILL) recently. I'll still go Alex by 1-2 points, but he's playing with fire wrestling it close against Kharchla.

Assuming all go...

I like this, but I would flip the 184/165 results. Kharchla's pace too much and he's just better right now.

Good discussion about Kharchla v Marinelli. The third-year freshman may or may not have all of his man-strength yet (i.e. he should continue to get stronger and better), while Marinelli, as a 6th-year senior does. That said, Marinelli wrestles close matches against not just the top guys, but the next tier too. Examples are a 1-point win vs Carlson (Minn) and a 3-point win vs Braunagel (ILL) recently. I'll still go Alex by 1-2 points, but he's playing with fire wrestling it close against Kharchla.
The Bull is too tough for Karchla… yes it will be low scoring but I don’t think this is close to a tossup at all..

I think @js8793 provided good analysis on Bull's weaknesses a while back. I don't know much about Kharchla's style or frame so I'm not sure if he fits that mold. Give me Marinelli for the dual.

I think @js8793 provided good analysis on Bull's weaknesses a while back. I don't know much about Kharchla's style or frame so I'm not sure if he fits that mold. Give me Marinelli for the dual.
Kharchla is the best match up for him of the top guys. Not a scrambler, though he can when he needs to. Has several attacks, but primarily to the same leg (which you don’t see a ton, kemerer being the other notable example).

With this being said, my gut leans Kharchla here. I really like him. Even though he doesn’t pose “match up” issues, I think it’s possible he’s just better. I also don’t love how Marinelli’s been wrestling. He’s not firing all cylinders. I don’t think that’s a bad thing long term. With the tread on his tires, a slow, patient build to the postseason makes a lot of sense. It’s not like the number 1 seed has done him a lot of good anyway.

Path to victory that makes the most sense is to keep Kharchla off his lead leg and put a tough spiral claw ride on him. We’ve seen Kharchla ridden and fade in his Griffith match. Either win on RT or score late when he’s tired. Just not sure he’ll be able to keep Kharchla off his legs or get to attacks of his own if Kharchla is fresh.

I think my team wins 2 matches. Close in a few others.
Sasso wins and Romero probably wins a 3-2 or 5-3 bout.
Ethan Smith and Carson K probably lose close matches- that are entertaining to watch.
The rest will be brutal for me to sit thru.

On Marinelli v Kharchla: I have been waiting for this match up for a few years. Hope it happens, and no covid issues for either.
Kharchla grew up wrestling Braxton Amos in his dad's club - so Carson has felt that position (that Marinelli loves) and I am sure knows how to defend and/or stay out of the bear hug/body lock. But, lets see how it goes.

I think my team wins 2 matches. Close in a few others.
Ethan Smith and Carson K probably lose close matches- that are entertaining to watch.
The rest will be brutal for me to sit thru.

On Marinelli v Kharchla: I have been waiting for this match up for a few years. Hope it happens, and no covid issues for either.
Kharchla grew up wrestling Braxton Amos in his dad's club - so Carson has felt that position (that Marinelli loves) and I am sure knows how to defend and/or stay out of the bear hug/body lock. But, lets see how it goes.
people overestimate marinelli’s upper body game because of the joseph matches. those are the exception. 95% of the time he’s going to stay with his 4 basic leg attacks (post hi-c, post double, overtie post single, collar exchange post knee pull). the upper body stuff with joseph was almost always initiated by joseph.

occasionally you will see an opponent pull him up to a body lock off his leg attacks (kennedy recently). he’s willing and able to score there, but 99% he’s going to look to finish on the legs.

Here’s the thing, I think I a close, low scoring match gives Marinelli his best shot to win against Kharchla. I don’t think he has the firepower on his feet to get into multiple exchanges and win.

Reactions: js8793 and nitlion6
Has Marinelli lost more than one dual meet match?
I have a tough time thinking Kharchla is the man, at least during the regular season.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I agree tOSU will likely top out at two match wins, but I don't see Romero as one.

Sasso wins handily.

Based on my limited sampling of Kharchla and Marinelli this year, I see this match as Kharchla's coming out party. I'm looking forward to it and a mild upset.

Smith can beat Massa. But didn't. No way he's close with Kemerer (assuming he goes or doesn't get injured).

Romero can't score against a wrestler of Myles Amine's caliber. Not going to beat Assad.

Last edited:
I think the Bull wins 5-3 or something like that. He is a great hand fighter and has become a tough rider. Ethan Smith could hang with Kem if he can avoid giving up nearfall, but I'm not betting that way. 141 could get interesting if Eireman doesn't hit something big early. Lopsided team score no doubt, but at least 5 entertaining battles.

ADVERTISEMENT