ADVERTISEMENT

From an OSU fan

Hi! I am an OSU fan who just stopped by to see the status of your quarterback. I’m glad to see he is doing better. He seems like a good kid, and I can’t imagine how hard it is for his parents to have to watch him play when so obviously hurting. I’m glad to hear he won’t be hurting this Saturday!

That said, I glanced around your board and saw some threads about firing Franklin, and then all the people who are worried you’d never get anyone better. You would. I’ve been an OSU fan for a really long time, and we haven’t always had obvious homerun hires. Tressel? Day? They are great, but no one was beating down their doors. Penn State was built by one man. You didn’t have to worry about your coaching situation for a really long time. I wonder if that made you all gun shy. Yes, if you get a new coach things could get worse, but if you don’t get one things will never get better. Coaches just don’t change that much. I feel like penn state just kind of stagnates, and then you worry Franklin will leave you. I wouldn’t! You guys are freaking Penn State. You are a blue blood and a powerhouse school. If he thinks he can do better, show him the door. Coaches shouldn’t leave our schools, they should get fired if they don’t perform. Then we can try again. It kinda annoys me that Franklin can be cavalier about leaving Penn State. Sure, pay him what he’s worth, but not more.

I want the Big 10 to be great, and while I think Franklin is good for OSU, I don’t think he’s the best Penn State can do. He’s too cool and popular and not enough of a leader and motivator. Just my 2 cents, though. I’m not trying to upset anyone, and what fans think doesn’t change anything, but I’ve been wondering for awhile why penn state doesn’t see their brand as more valuable and move on. But who knows, maybe he’ll beat us this weekend and make you all happy again.
And if I have upset you, just remember that I’m an OSU fan who works at McDonalds and lives in my parents’ basement, so my opinion is worthless anyway.

Good luck this weekend. I seriously do hope that Clifford is ok, even though I’m sure he will be tough for our D.
You are absolutely right, your opinion is worthless. Thanks for visiting.

Reactions: odshowtime
Was just told by friends in Columbus that Clifford is being projected as 100% by the PSU coaching staff - on the TV stations there. It was also pointed out - without going back and checking - that SC threw for 280+ yards last year against OSU and those guys (OSU) are expecting the usual tough game again. Many are very nervous as the sportscasters are pointing out the the PSU defense is solid and they probably have the best secondary in the conference. This one could go well into the 4th quarter before it's decided.

What's crazy is that many OSU fans - and all their coaches - are really nervous and don't consider this a sure thing at all. Most are far more concerned with PSU than MSU or Michigan. On the other hand, it seems like many PSU fans are already throwing in the towel - which is just crazy judging by the recent past history in this series.
Then your fan base must be drinking early this week.

Last two games were comfortable wins.

This one will be even more comfortable as Penn State will struggle to make first downs and Ohio State’s offense will be ruthless. Going to be over early. And I expect Munster to put any extra dose of “who’s conference boss” on the good guys.

Hi! I am an OSU fan who just stopped by to see the status of your quarterback. I’m glad to see he is doing better. He seems like a good kid, and I can’t imagine how hard it is for his parents to have to watch him play when so obviously hurting. I’m glad to hear he won’t be hurting this Saturday!

That said, I glanced around your board and saw some threads about firing Franklin, and then all the people who are worried you’d never get anyone better. You would. I’ve been an OSU fan for a really long time, and we haven’t always had obvious homerun hires. Tressel? Day? They are great, but no one was beating down their doors. Penn State was built by one man. You didn’t have to worry about your coaching situation for a really long time. I wonder if that made you all gun shy. Yes, if you get a new coach things could get worse, but if you don’t get one things will never get better. Coaches just don’t change that much. I feel like penn state just kind of stagnates, and then you worry Franklin will leave you. I wouldn’t! You guys are freaking Penn State. You are a blue blood and a powerhouse school. If he thinks he can do better, show him the door. Coaches shouldn’t leave our schools, they should get fired if they don’t perform. Then we can try again. It kinda annoys me that Franklin can be cavalier about leaving Penn State. Sure, pay him what he’s worth, but not more.

I want the Big 10 to be great, and while I think Franklin is good for OSU, I don’t think he’s the best Penn State can do. He’s too cool and popular and not enough of a leader and motivator. Just my 2 cents, though. I’m not trying to upset anyone, and what fans think doesn’t change anything, but I’ve been wondering for awhile why penn state doesn’t see their brand as more valuable and move on. But who knows, maybe he’ll beat us this weekend and make you all happy again.
And if I have upset you, just remember that I’m an OSU fan who works at McDonalds and lives in my parents’ basement, so my opinion is worthless anyway.

Good luck this weekend. I seriously do hope that Clifford is ok, even though I’m sure he will be tough for our D.
Thanks for stopping by. Clifford is probably at 50 percent at best. Don’t know why Franklin is saying what he is saying that Clifford felt great Sunday. Well Saturday he couldn’t move and couldn’t run and grabbed his mid section on the side that he was hit by Iowa at least 10 times. If he was healthy I would say this game was a toss up. Without him healthy we are 0-2 last 2 games so there is that!!!

I would think the only reason your here is PSU is 18.5 point underdog and you have a nice easy win Saturday. Hope your day turns for the worse. We are!!!!!!!
It usually turns much worse for O$U when they have to play outside the conference and don’t get all tbe calls.

Ever wonder why their bowl record sucks? It’s no coincidence.

Reactions: odshowtime
I think PSU the last 20 years, is seen by people in the coaching profession as a stepping stone school, a stopover to a blue blood school. Thats my opinion
Last 20 years? Well paterno coached 11 of those years and paterno wasn’t a stepping stone for any coach or school. O’Brien just wanted to be head coach in the nfl period. So we’ve had 3 coaches in 50 years. Osu has had how many? 6?7?

Remember what Rodney Erickson said after taking over on an interim basis back in 2012 after the Sandusky scandal:
The PSU administration wants to place less emphasis on football because of the culture that may have contributed to the scandal, and more emphasis on academics (paraphrasing somewhat)
EDIT: Seems to me they haven’t accomplished either, since football remains a big deal (although not quite what it was under JoePa from 1968-1995 during the Grand Experiment), while academics seems to have declined overall by most rankings I’ve seen since Erickson and Barron have run Penn State University.
Exactly what you can expect by entitled academics. They have screwed up both football and academics.

Reactions: GulfCoastLion
Ohio State cheats
No (well sometimes, but not much illegal anymore). They are just the beneficiary of treatment inside the conference. Once that evaporates in the bowl game, they lose more than win.

But as a buckeye fan, you already know this…

Ohio State cheats
Here is another explanation. When OSU plays in the post season, they are playing one of the best if not the best team in the country. Alabama for example. OSU's success stems largely from the fact they are seen as one of the best pipelines to the NFL.

Reactions: dailybuck777
Here is another explanation. When OSU plays in the post season, they are playing one of the best if not the best team in the country. Alabama for example. OSU's success stems largely from the fact they are seen as one of the best pipelines to the NFL.
Same with Penn State. Wonder why our bowl record is so much better?

Let’s jump back in this thread around 10:30 Saturday night….lolololol
I think all the threads will be ignited by the AW that O$U is going to administer on the good guys. I imagine you will see some creative excuses from our resident (but dwindling) apologists. With promises of “we’ll get them next time”…”we have the #1 QB committed…” etc.

Last 3 non BCS bowl games were all won by OSU. Notre Dame, USC and Washington were defeated by OSU. That doesn't include Big Ten Championship games, with the exception of 1 (loss to Mich State) all were won by OSU.

We are playing lesser competition in bowl games than OSU has over the past 10-20 years. That's pretty obvious.

They've had a winning bowl record during both the Tressel and Urb/Day eras. And I think they're the only ones to beat both Alabama and Clemson in the playoffs.

I'd gladly take that.

Absolutely…which was one of my major arguments refuting the narrative in the wake of the Sandusky scandal that we were some sort of football factory. True football factories would never settle for such an extended period of relative mediocrity.

Of course, this still leaves the question of why we have been so comfortable with the status quo?
We have nothing to do with it, the powers that be control it. When Barron retires, do you think a “football guy” will be put in to replace him or an “academic guy”?

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
The OP is right - settling for pretty good seems to be the new MO in Happy Valley. Not sure why, but if we’re the blue blood we claim to be (maybe we aren’t, at least anymore?) then why the hell should we settle for such mediocrity, especially in big games. I’m not going to knock Franklin - by all accounts he appears to be doing his level best to improve Penn State football. But if he can’t compete with the perennial powers in the conference, then maybe his best just isn’t good enough. I sincerely hope he figures things out, but as a fan, it grows increasingly tiresome having the air come out of our season every year before Halloween. The success from 2016 doesn’t have to be every year, but it sure as hell should be a legitimate yearly goal instead of just a pipe dream.
The Illinois loss was a terrible loss. Up until that time, while I criticized Franklin at times, I supported him, respected his ability to recruit, keep his team disciplined, and liked that he made his players go to class and graduate. In addition, It is my belief that a good coach should not be fired unless a great coach is lined up to replace him. However, if you really look hard, Franklin has a track record that he just can't seem to shake. While he has recruited above average skilled players on both sides of the ball, he has struggled getting and developing the players that still matter if you want to get to the next level, offensive linemen and to a lesser extent defensive linemen. He is not a great game day coach, he does not coach well with a lead, and his teams sometime fall apart after a loss. If you look at this year, while this team is definitely not better than Ohio State, we should be going into this game undefeated, even with Clifford hurt. The collapse at Iowa and the fact that Roberson seemed completely unprepared, as well as the debacle at home against a bad team in Illinois were both games that can be placed squarely on Coaching IMO.

I'm not sure if the OP is trolling or is sincere, but I have to agree with his assessment. While I'm not sure that all of the college coaching world believes that PSU is a Blue Blood program, I believe it is enough of a Blue Blood program to attract a coach that can get us to the next level, and still maintain some of the academic and character development that Penn State fans expect out of their coach.

Was just told by friends in Columbus that Clifford is being projected as 100% by the PSU coaching staff - on the TV stations there. It was also pointed out - without going back and checking - that SC threw for 280+ yards last year against OSU and those guys (OSU) are expecting the usual tough game again. Many are very nervous as the sportscasters are pointing out the the PSU defense is solid and they probably have the best secondary in the conference. This one could go well into the 4th quarter before it's decided.

What's crazy is that many OSU fans - and all their coaches - are really nervous and don't consider this a sure thing at all. Most are far more concerned with PSU than MSU or Michigan. On the other hand, it seems like many PSU fans are already throwing in the towel - which is just crazy judging by the recent past history in this series.
Did you watch the last two games?

We have nothing to do with it, the powers that be control it. When Barron retires, do you think a “football guy” will be put in to replace him or an “academic guy”?
Apologies, by “we,” I was referring to our school. And no, the next president will not be a football guy. Somebody’s got to reestablish our academic reputation that seems to have waned under Barron’s watch.

We are playing lesser competition in bowl games than OSU has over the past 10-20 years. That's pretty obvious.

They've had a winning bowl record during both the Tressel and Urb/Day eras. And I think they're the only ones to beat both Alabama and Clemson in the playoffs.

I'd gladly take that.
Certainly agree with you as it applies to recent years. O$U has been better by every measure on the field.

Last 3 non BCS bowl games were all won by OSU. Notre Dame, USC and Washington were defeated by OSU. That doesn't include Big Ten Championship games, with the exception of 1 (loss to Mich State) all were won by OSU.
No doubt O$U has been the stringer program lately - by any on the field measure.

Certainly agree with you as it applies to recent years. O$U has been better by every measure on the field.
No way. 2017 and 2018 our team was better. Purely out coaches twice with 8 minutes left both times.

Reactions: psu2016
Apologies, by “we,” I was referring to our school. And no, the next president will not be a football guy. Somebody’s got to reestablish our academic reputation that seems to have waned under Barron’s watch.
So it doesn’t really matter who are coach is, there’s a ceiling for any coach, but many have a lower floor.

No way. 2017 and 2018 our team was better. Purely out coaches twice with 8 minutes left both times.
In 2018, we went 9-4 and lost to Kentucky in the Citrus Bowl. OSU went 13-1 and beat Washington in the Rose Bowl. I'd say they were better.

2017 was our year, and we blew it. I really think we were the better team -- our best team since 2005, frankly.

Remember what Rodney Erickson said after taking over on an interim basis back in 2012 after the Sandusky scandal:
The PSU administration wants to place less emphasis on football because of the culture that may have contributed to the scandal, and more emphasis on academics (paraphrasing somewhat)
EDIT: Seems to me they haven’t accomplished either, since football remains a big deal (although not quite what it was under JoePa from 1968-1995 during the Grand Experiment), while academics seems to have declined overall by most rankings I’ve seen since Erickson and Barron have run Penn State University.
Considering that PSU Football is extremely important in funding the total athletic program, Erickson was either dumb, short sighted or way overreacting to the scandal. Maybe all three...

Considering that PSU Football is extremely important in funding the total athletic program, Erickson was either dumb, short sighted or way overreacting to the scandal. Maybe all three...
Agree…get his f**king name off of the Creamery already. Feckless, gutless twerp.

In 2018, we went 9-4 and lost to Kentucky in the Citrus Bowl. OSU went 13-1 and beat Washington in the Rose Bowl. I'd say they were better.

2017 was our year, and we blew it. I really think we were the better team -- our best team since 2005, frankly.
We were up 15 with 8 minutes left in 2018 at home. So call it what you want if it makes you feel better.

We were up 15 with 8 minutes left in 2018 at home. So call it what you want if it makes you feel better.
Clearly we blew that game. But OSU was a better team that year. That's my only point.

As for 2017, I think we were better than OSU that year. Still can't believe we made JT Barrett look like peak Joe Montana in that 4th quarter.

I posted a thread about today being the 10th anniversary of Joe's 409th win. In the story attached, I was surprised to see that there was only 60,000 in attendance for that game. (I just didn't take note because who thought that would be his last and I didn't attend.)

We were 7-1 with our only loss to Bama and the weather was crappy but 60,000? How many would attend today against Illinois in crappy weather if we were 5-1 with our only loss being to Iowa? Oh how convenient, the official attendance (which I know is totally overblown as it probably was in 2011) from last weeks game was 105,001.

This culture problem they spoke of in 2011? 🙄

Last edited:
I posted a thread about today being the 10th anniversary of Joe's 409th win. In the story attached, I was surprised to see that there was only 60,000 in attendance for that game. (I just didn't take note because who thought that would be his last and I didn't attend.)

We were 8-1 with our only loss to Bama and the weather was crappy but 60,000? How many would attend today against Illinois in crappy weather if we were 5-1 with our only loss being to Iowa? Oh how convenient, the official attendance (which I know is totally overblown as it probably was in 2011) from last weeks game was 105,001.

This culture problem they spoke of in 2011? 🙄
All of them were in CYA mode: BOT’s (Steve Garban, John Surma, Ken Frazier), Baldwin, Peetz, Rodney Erickson, etc…
After hiring Louis Freeh and framing Paterno, Curley, Spanier, etc…

Reactions: PearlSUJam
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT