ADVERTISEMENT

Unsure if posted but word on street is......

Amanda Lehotak Resigns as Penn State Softball Coach
National search for new Nittany Lion leader begins immediately
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – Penn State softball head coach Amanda Lehotak has resigned to pursue other professional opportunities outside of softball, effective July 13. Lehotak led the Nittany Lion softball program for the last seven seasons.

"This was not an easy decision as my time at Penn State has been nothing short of incredible," said Lehotak. "I am grateful for all the amazing people I was able to work with, especially my talented and dedicated staff. I've been lucky to coach some of the best student-athletes in my career and will always remember the growth they showed on and off the field to become the successful young women they are today. I am extremely thankful for the unwavering support from the Nittany Lion faithful of boosters, alumni and fans who showed up to each game at Beard Field and beyond. One of my principles I have always stressed to my student-athletes and my staff is to be where your feet are, and now it's time for me to do the same. I will forever look back at my time in Happy Valley with cherished memories and wish nothing but the best for the Nittany Lions."

"We are appreciative and grateful for Amanda's leadership of Penn State Softball these last seven years," said Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics Sandy Barbour. "She has been a valued member of our Nittany Lion family and the Happy Valley community. Preparing our softball student athletes for a lifetime of impact has always been at the forefront of Amanda's coaching focus and it showed in the care and passion she demonstrated for her students, our program and the sport of softball. We wish Amanda and her daughter, Dylan, nothing but the best for what the future holds as Amanda closes her intercollegiate coaching chapter."

Lehotak led the 2016 Nittany Lions to their most successful seasons since the 2011 campaign with 30 wins and a fourth-place finish in the Big Ten with a 14-8 record. Penn State registered a record-breaking .314 batting average with 468 hits which, included 75 doubles, and rewrote both the team and individual record books.

The 2016 offense had 23 games with 10 or more hits and scored 10 or more runs on nine occasions.

Lehotak and her Nittany Lions continued their offensive production in seasons to come, totaling a program-record 49 home runs in 2019. The 2019 pitching staff showed steady improvement and combined with the defense to shut out six opponents, the most since 2011.

The Penn State defense finished the shortened 2020 season with six shutouts, the most in the conference and a top-30 mark in the nation.

In her seven-year tenure, Lehotak helped 65 student-athletes earn Academic All-Big Ten honors and 16 claim Big Ten Distinguished Scholar accolades. She developed four first-team All-Big Ten recipients and five second-team honorees.

In 2018-19, softball had a perfect 1,000 single-year APR score, it's first since 2014-15.

A nationwide search for a new coach will begin immediately.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Wish her the best. But no big loss here.

Daughter went to a couple of her camps, that were disorganized and uninspiring. With the facilities that Penn State has, and a fertile recruiting territory, she should have had more success.

You know my stand on girls lax (it's awful)
I don't make fun of you for knowing the names of the 19 dudes who signed the independence thingy.

you don't care for girl's LAX. wonderful. more power to you.

PSU fields a team, has won national championships in the sport, and continues to be one of the powers in the sport.

if you don't care for the sport, why clutter up this board with such comments? there are members of this board community who have daughters or relatives that play the sport. there are members of this board community that coach the sport. there are members of this board community that ref the sport. respect them, and keep your thoughts about WLAX off the board.

as for the Declaration of Independence, it's probably best that you don't make fun of me for knowing the names of the signers. I'm not sure why knowing historical facts would be something anyone would make fun of, but to each their own. Just as a point of reference, there were 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence.

I don't make fun of you for knowing the names of the 19 dudes who signed the independence thingy.

Bitching about a college sport you could easily just ignore and being well-read and knowledgeable about history really aren’t equivalent types of pastimes.

if you don't care for the sport, why clutter up this board with such comments? there are members of this board community who have daughters or relatives that play the sport. there are members of this board community that coach the sport. there are members of this board community that ref the sport. respect them, and keep your thoughts about WLAX off the board.

What part of that was too difficult for you to understand?

With the millions of stupid schitt things said on the forum, drawing a line in the sand over girls lax is confounding and super funny.
"Hey, let's drive to upark and watch the girls lax team play" said by nobody ever lol

Let's see. Off the top of my head, I have driven to Baltimore to see PSU WLAX play John Hopkins, to Princeton to see PSU WLAX play Princeton, to Lehigh to see PSU WLAX play Lehigh, to Philadelphia to see PSU WLAX play Drexel, to Chester to see PSU WLAX play UNC in the National Semifinal, and I'm probably forgetting a half dozen other places I drove to see PSU WLAX play. And, I have decided the day of a match to drive to State College to see PSU play several times, and been amongst several thousand fans watching PSU WLAX play.

In short, you're full of crap. I've tried politely to deal with you in the past concerning WLAX. If you post BS about WLAX again, it will be your last post on this board. I can't make things any clearer than that.

What part of that was too difficult for you to understand?

Let's see. Off the top of my head, I have driven to Baltimore to see PSU WLAX play John Hopkins, to Princeton to see PSU WLAX play Princeton, to Lehigh to see PSU WLAX play Lehigh, to Philadelphia to see PSU WLAX play Drexel, to Chester to see PSU WLAX play UNC in the National Semifinal, and I'm probably forgetting a half dozen other places I drove to see PSU WLAX play. And, I have decided the day of a match to drive to State College to see PSU play several times, and been amongst several thousand fans watching PSU WLAX play.

In short, you're full of crap. I've tried politely to deal with you in the past concerning WLAX. If you post BS about WLAX again, it will be your last post on this board. I can't make things any clearer than that.
Tom... remember what Mark Twain said about arguing with an idiot

You're an idiot. Do you have some inferiority complex concerning girls competing in college sports vs boys? I have three grandgirls that played that played volleyball, softball and field hockey during their high school tenure. One was placed in college division 1 field hockey. It was an extremely enjoyable time with the girls playing at a high level of competition and having the oldest boy grandchild in division 1 baseball. There were consequences to be paid with with injuries, coaching changes, which lead to their original college commitments being deflected. Anyway, all of the kids are doing fine....the oldest grandboy is in NY Chiropractic College, the next boy graduated from Penn State Law last year, the next in line grandaughter after graduating from Southern Alabama has received from the town of Dothan, Alabama full tuition and board toward her medical college of here choice. The last two girls will be returing to State College in the fall.... one as sophomore and a half, the other as a senior.
Keep in mind, all of these kids, including our girls, played very competitive sports leading into college.

I think you misunderstood, my issue is with girls lax, not hockey, softball ( @PSUHarry33 daughter absolute stud ) or volleyball (amazing sport)
Girls lax receives a ref whistle every 20 seconds, it’s maddening, completely unwatchable.
I'm sorry you live somewhere that has terrible girls lacrosse. Come watch a game out here in Western Howard County with some of the best players in the country who routinely go to top 10 programs and you'll see that whistles are not blowing every 20 seconds unless it's for a goal. These girls are super athletes and great kids

My best friend sent his daughter to Marquette she was the all time scoring leader at central. Her games were unwAtchable (central jersey)
My son1,his teams leading scorer his senior year and all state, played can't miss big time boys lax. I miss it so much.

Clarisa Crowell seems like a solid hire for PSU Softball.

I doubt either softball or baseball would be on the chopping block at PSU. Too much investment in facilities at Penn State and these are spring sports that are both gaining in national (TV) visibility. (MLAX and WLAX will be spared for the same reasons.)

I think you misunderstood, my issue is with girls lax, not hockey, softball ( @PSUHarry33 daughter absolute stud ) or volleyball (amazing sport)
Girls lax receives a ref whistle every 20 seconds, it’s maddening, completely unwatchable.
Then don’t watch it and quit bringing up your opinion about it when it comes up. Simple. Everyone happy.

Clarisa Crowell seems like a solid hire for PSU Softball.

I doubt either softball or baseball would be on the chopping block at PSU. Too much investment in facilities at Penn State and these are spring sports that are both gaining in national (TV) visibility. (MLAX and WLAX will be spared for the same reasons.)

They're all "solid hires" until they ain't.

..the oldest grandboy is in NY Chiropractic College (quote)

couldn’t get into real med school I guess...
The Rick (me)
Nice try....
Masters of Biomedical Sciences, three semesters of Medical College. He became ill
with an intestinal infection that had him going to NY and Philly. After regaining his health and a year working for government contractor, decided not to return to medical school. Good athlete, good student and best of all attributes...A good, compassionate young person.

Enjoyed very much. With my "new" work schedule..Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday.... I look forward to watching the fall and spring sports at State. My wife, daughter in law and the girls (now in college at PSU and Alabama) spent many a fall day on the campus with the woman's sports. Fall festival next yr (maybe)....if my company keeps me on a three day work week, maybe I'll finally be able to spend time in STATE COLLEGE, which i have never been able too in the past. Three day work week, SS and a modest return on my retirement investiments, ....a dream.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT