ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Recruiting McCort

brodust

Gold Member
May 30, 2015
Dist. 6 Team Duals this morning early afternoon at BEA, Bishop McCort one BEA true second. tOSU head coach and Logan Steiber in attendance and siting near/with McCort fans. BEA wrestles at home Monday at 6 against Dist. 7 3rd place.

Reactions: Creek Side
In December of 2023, McCort wrestled against Graham of Ohio in the Covelli Center at tOSU. Gotta think Tan Tom was involved in that arrangement as well.

Clearly Brutus will go hard after Bassett and Forrest, which is not surprising in the least.

Last edited:
I don’t believe Ohio State is a factor for Forrest. Him and Bo are not a package deal, there isn’t a ton of overlap in their top choices actually. Cornell and PSU are the common denominator between the two.

In December of 2023, McCort wrestled against Graham of Ohio in the Corelli Center at tOSU. Gotta think Tan Tom was involved in that arrangement as well.

Clearly Brutus will go hard after Bassett and Forrest, which is not surprising in the least.
I suspect that most D1 programs have plans to make a pitch to these guys. However, the Corelli Center Dual makes me think Tom may have started his pitch a bit early.

I don’t believe Ohio State is a factor for Forrest. Him and Bo are not a package deal, there isn’t a ton of overlap in their top choices actually. Cornell and PSU are the common denominator between the two.
Wasn't it posted on here last week that Forrest spends a lot of time at Oklahoma State? Curious right now if you were a betting man where does everyone think these two end up? Between Luke, Forrest and Bassett I was really hoping we could get two. Since Luke is in we need one of the two. Thoughts?

Wasn't it posted on here last week that Forrest spends a lot of time at Oklahoma State? Curious right now if you were a betting man where does everyone think these two end up? Between Luke, Forrest and Bassett I was really hoping we could get two. Since Luke is in we need one of the two. Thoughts?
20:00 minute mark he mentions some of his favorites. This video was posted a month ago.

Ryan is playing this well. Every program in the country will be after them, hard. And every school but one has a major geographic disadvantage -- Bassett and Forrest can (and do!) go to M2 any time they want.

But he's in close enough proximity to do something about it. And so he is, and he's being creative about it (within the rules). He's not delegating this to Bobby Telford. They're not the National Recruiting Champs for nothing.

And we're not the National Champs for nothing. We'll be OK either way.

Everyone knows Basset and Jax are both coming to PSU. I had a friend say Jax was going to Oklahoma St. Why in the world would be want to go to such an average program. These kids are used to winning and know where they will continue to win.

Btw how did tan Tom get away with this? Let me guess he was just in town and wanted to watch some wrestling

Everyone knows Basset and Jax are both coming to PSU. I had a friend say Jax was going to Oklahoma St. Why in the world would be want to go to such an average program. These kids are used to winning and know where they will continue to win.

Btw how did tan Tom get away with this? Let me guess he was just in town and wanted to watch some wrestling
Don't think Tan Tom "got away" with anything. tOSU was between their dual at PSU on 2/2 and their dual at Rutgers on 2/4. While in the area (more or less), why not pop in to see two guys you're recruiting hard (or going to recruit hard)? And make your presence at the event well known in the process.

And does "everyone" really expect both guys to come to PSU? I'm not in the know at all, but am always skeptical when I see sweeping, unsupported statements like this.

What's there to get away with? There's nothing illegal about him buying a ticket and sitting in the stands. He can even talk with the coaches, the trainers, the ref, the official scorer, the principal, the guidance counselor, the older wrestlers, the people in the concession stand, the janitor, the older wrestlers ... anybody except the FR/SO wrestlers and their families.

Just like when Cael went to a Montoursville match and watched Gavin Hoffman before he was allowed to have contact.

What's there to get away with? There's nothing illegal about him buying a ticket and sitting in the stands. He can even talk with the coaches, the trainers, the ref, the official scorer, the principal, the guidance counselor, the older wrestlers, the people in the concession stand, the janitor, the older wrestlers ... anybody except the FR/SO wrestlers and their families.

Just like when Cael went to a Montoursville match and watched Gavin Hoffman before he was allowed to have contact.
They are even allowed to talk to FR/SO wrestlers, just not in any recruiting capacity. Most avoid it because it is a grey area but if the coach runs into a wrestler in the hallway and says congrats or something nobody is going to make a stink

Ryan is playing this well. Every program in the country will be after them, hard. And every school but one has a major geographic disadvantage -- Bassett and Forrest can (and do!) go to M2 any time they want.

But he's in close enough proximity to do something about it. And so he is, and he's being creative about it (within the rules). He's not delegating this to Bobby Telford. They're not the National Recruiting Champs for nothing.

And we're not the National Champs for nothing. We'll be OK either way.
Pitt also has the geographic advantage, just sadly not any other advantages in relation to psu

He beat Pat Glory and I remember thinking how good he was going to be, talk about two different paths after that.
Looking back on Teasdale's HS career -- there's no greater evidence of what @dicemen99 says about the relative strength of AAA vs AA.

In 4 years of regular season and PIAA postseason competition, Teasdale beat exactly ONE wrestler who ever qualified for NCAAs. That was Jaret Lane, who finished R16 in 2021, then lost his starting job in 2022 and was also a backup in his senior year.

And for those who remember their match at states, Teasdale was damn lucky to beat Lane. Won with an OT takedown after getting headlocked and saved by the bell in the 2nd.

Looking back on Teasdale's HS career -- there's no greater evidence of what @dicemen99 says about the relative strength of AAA vs AA.

In 4 years of regular season and PIAA postseason competition, Teasdale beat exactly ONE wrestler who ever qualified for NCAAs. That was Jaret Lane, who finished R16 in 2021, then lost his starting job in 2022 and was also a backup in his senior year.

And for those who remember their match at states, Teasdale was damn lucky to beat Lane. Won with an OT takedown after getting headlocked and saved by the bell in the 2nd.
This is an incredible stat. So out of all the matches Teasdale won at states, only one qualified for states. Back then he looked like a world beater.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
This is an incredible stat. So out of all the matches Teasdale won at states, only one qualified for states. Back then he looked like a world beater.
Not just at states -- also in the regular season (and that includes any out-of-state kids he faced in regular season tourneys). Lane was the only one to ever make nationals.

Maybe Colton Camacho will, though he's a JR and it's not looking good this year. A couple others started in D1 but never qualified.

I'm too lazy to look up his Super 32 and Fargo matches, maybe he beat some qualifiers there.

But yeah, he obliterated a bunch of guys who were never near the level of his intended future competition.

No other place to put this and not worthy of its own thread. I believe the 9 wrestlers from Tosu that wrestled both matches this weekend went 1-1, meaning they, to a man, reversed their fortunes against us vs. Rutger.

Not just at states -- also in the regular season (and that includes any out-of-state kids he faced in regular season tourneys). Lane was the only one to ever make nationals.

Maybe Colton Camacho will, though he's a JR and it's not looking good this year. A couple others started in D1 but never qualified.

I'm too lazy to look up his Super 32 and Fargo matches, maybe he beat some qualifiers there.

But yeah, he obliterated a bunch of guys who were never near the level of his intended future competition.
he won Powerade 3 times and I think he beat Pat Glory there along with beating him at the Pittsburg classic. I have to think between Powerade and Super 32 he beat some worthwhile guys. lost to Barlett in the finals in his last powerade.

he won Powerade 3 times and I think he beat Pat Glory there along with beating him at the Pittsburg classic. I have to think between Powerade and Super 32 he beat some worthwhile guys. lost to Barlett in the finals in his last powerade.
That's probably true. I was going off his records in PA-Wrestling.com

And now that you mention it, the weekend of 12/30 is missing from his FR/SO records. His Powerade where he lost to Beau is in his records, next best opponent there was Cole Rhone.

But as far as the PIAA postseason goes, it was pretty light.

For comparison, had Teasdale been in AAA:

FR 106: Luke Werner was in the bracket, but they wouldn't have met. (Werner lost his opener and DNP.) Werner went 28-5 and was the 13 seed at the canceled 2020 tournament.

SO 113: Teasdale would've faced 4x NQ Gage Curry in SW Regionals. Had Teasdale won SW, then he would've faced no NQs until the finals. Julian Chlebove won states, has yet to make NCAAs but looks like he might this year. Werner was again in the bracket but lost before he could've faced Teasdale. (Devin Schnupp beat Werner for 5th.)

JR 126: This was the famous DeSanto-Lee final. Lee and Teasdale would've met in SW Regionals. Also in the bracket: 2x state champ Ryan Anderson, who maybe could qualify for NCAAs if he could stay in school.

If Teasdale beat Lee at SW, then he would've faced Anderson in the semis and the Lee-DeSanto winner in the finals. If he lost to Lee at SW, then he would've gotten DeSanto in the semis and Lee in the finals.

SR 126: Ed Scott and Gabe Willochell were in the bracket but wouldn't have faced Teasdale at states. Willochell was SW3, might have faced Teasdale at regionals depending on the draw. Sam Hillegas was the SW and PA champ, but has not had college success and is on the bench at WVU.

For comparison, had Teasdale been in AAA:

FR 106: Luke Werner was in the bracket, but they wouldn't have met. (Werner lost his opener and DNP.) Werner went 28-5 and was the 13 seed at the canceled 2020 tournament.

SO 113: Teasdale would've faced 4x NQ Gage Curry in SW Regionals. Had Teasdale won SW, then he would've faced no NQs until the finals. Julian Chlebove won states, has yet to make NCAAs but looks like he might this year. Werner was again in the bracket but lost before he could've faced Teasdale. (Devin Schnupp beat Werner for 5th.)

JR 126: This was the famous DeSanto-Lee final. Lee and Teasdale would've met in SW Regionals. Also in the bracket: 2x state champ Ryan Anderson, who maybe could qualify for NCAAs if he could stay in school.

If Teasdale beat Lee at SW, then he would've faced Anderson in the semis and the Lee-DeSanto winner in the finals. If he lost to Lee at SW, then he would've gotten DeSanto in the semis and Lee in the finals.

SR 126: Ed Scott and Gabe Willochell were in the bracket but wouldn't have faced Teasdale at states. Willochell was SW3, might have faced Teasdale at regionals depending on the draw. Sam Hillegas was the SW and PA champ, but has not had college success and is on the bench at WVU.
Damn Jefe, you da man

Damn Jefe, you da man
Flattery will get you everywhere.

The one (and maybe only) thing I like about PA's pre-drawn brackets is: it makes alt-history stuff like this very easy. Teasdale graduated before PIAA started seeding regional champs, so the brackets would've been identical except for the order of the SW Regional state qualifiers.

Dist. 6 Team Duals this morning early afternoon at BEA, Bishop McCort one BEA true second. tOSU head coach and Logan Steiber in attendance and siting near/with McCort fans. BEA wrestles at home Monday at 6 against Dist. 7 3rd place.
These guys aren't going to sit back and just let Cael & Co. dominate. There should have been 10 other Big 10 coaches there.

Reactions: Ja1339

Maybe someone can let him in at a M2 practice sometime.

That's probably true. I was going off his records in PA-Wrestling.com

And now that you mention it, the weekend of 12/30 is missing from his FR/SO records. His Powerade where he lost to Beau is in his records, next best opponent there was Cole Rhone.

But as far as the PIAA postseason goes, it was pretty light.
Not that it impacts the point being made, but Teasdale beat Josh Humphreys and Pat Glory (both future NCAA top 3) his frosh year at Powerade and beat Glory at second time at Powerade his sophomore year. He beat Cole Rhone (who was a NQ for Bloomsburg in 2021) twice at Powerade as well. Did not see Teasdale in any S32 brackets. May have missed him.

I wouldn't just say early maturing... he had some other things going on that ended up being a distraction...
Exactly. Gavin himself admitted to being hooked on drugs his senior year, falling out with his HS coach because of it, and basically getting by on talent. It’s clear to me this had a much bigger impact on his trajectory than “maturing early”.

Exactly. Gavin himself admitted to being hooked on drugs his senior year, falling out with his HS coach because of it, and basically getting by on talent. It’s clear to me this had a much bigger impact on his trajectory than “maturing early”.
Why not both?

Teasdale was an older prospect (IIRC he was barely PIAA legal). Those guys tend to not hold up well over an entire college career -- and that's before his considerable year-round workload in HS.

Also his getting hooked on drugs was a sign of burning out, unable to sustain that focus. Before he got to the max intensity room in Iowa.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
@El-Jefe's work on past PIAA and AAA vs AA made me want to bring over something I did for the Pitt board

I wanted to look at all the multiple time AAA state champs from the class of 2019
(Last 5 recruiting classes) on:

Class of 2019:
Julian Cheblove: 3x AAA State Champ (missed entire junior year). 6th year at ASU, starting for the first time in his career, ranked in the 20s at this point.
Ryan Anderson: 2x AAA State Champ, 3x Placer. Was committed to ISU, ended up at d3 Centenary for 2 years instead, wrestled 1 year at Binghamton and has not wrestled in college since then.
Carter Starocci: 2x AAA State Champ, 4x Placer. 3x NCAA Champ, going on #4 this year, all time great for PSU.

Class of 2020:
Sam Hillegas: 2x AAA State Champ, 3x Finalist, 4x Placer. Went to VT then transferred to WVU, has started in 2 seasons, never made NCAAs.
Ed Scott: 2x AAA State Champ, 3x Placer. Went to NC State. Took 5th at NCAA's last season as a sophomore. Likely will be a 3x AA.
Gerrit Nijenhaus: 2x AAA State Champ, 4x Placer. Spent two years at Purdue, transferred to OU. 3x NCAA Qualifier who seems to not be the starter for OU this season.
Hunter Catka: 2x AAA State Champ, 3x Placer. Went to VT. Is a 2x NCAA Qualifier who is ranked in the 20s in the country.

Class of 2021:
Wyatt Henson:2x AAA State Champ, 3x Placer (Spent sophomore year in Missouri). At his 3rd school in 3 years, redshirted at Iowa, transferred to OU where he was a NQ, coach was fired then he transferred to LHU where he is ranked 11th in the nation at this point.
Alejandro-Herrera Rondon: 3x AAA State Champ, 4x Placer. Spent 2 years at OU where he never won the spot, transferred to Clarion where he is there starting 157 and just outside the national rankings.
Nate Schon: Greyshirted, then redshirted at ISU, now sitting behind Batisda this season. Only wrestled 25 matches in college career.

Class of 2022:
0 Multiple time AAA State Champs in this recruiting class.

Class of 2023:
Vinny Kilkeary: Redshirting at 125 for tOSU, 20-7 so far this year
Ty Watters: Starting as a true freshman for WVU, ranked #7 in the nation as a true frosh
Dylan Evans: Redshirting here at Pitt, 13-8 so far
Rocco Welsh: was redshirting at tOSU till the starter got season ending injury, ranked 11th in the nation as a true frosh
Sonny Sasso: Redshirting at VT 197, 11-8 in his redshirt season so far.

From the last 5 recruiting classes, there are only two multiple time AAA state champs who have become AA. One of them is Carter Starocci who is 3/3 at NCAA's. Of the rest of the guys on this list only Wyatt Henson, Ty Watters and Rocco Welsh are real AA candidates this season. So even if all those guys AA this year it will be only 5 AA from 5 years of recruiting classes. I feel like this really shows how the state title has been devalued and can also be very misleading.

This was about Pitt failing to recruit multiple time AAA state champs but I feel overall it shows a very interesting thing, that being a multi-time state champ in AAA no longer seems to be a guarantee for NCAA success (if it ever did).

Gavin is training near me in grappling and mma at a gym run by Taylor Cahill the son of an old h.s. buddy of mine. Taylor took over the head coaching job at Bedford and hired Teasdale as assistant coach but days before the start of season the school rejected Gavin. Now I just saw Taylor resigned over that and other things.

Gavin is training near me in grappling and mma at a gym run by Taylor Cahill the son of an old h.s. buddy of mine. Taylor took over the head coaching job at Bedford and hired Teasdale as assistant coach but days before the start of season the school rejected Gavin. Now I just saw Taylor resigned over that and other things.
Yeah - saw that FB post. Good on him. An assistant of his makes racist remarks towards an inner-city school, Cahill takes strong issue with it, and the admin just blows him off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT