ADVERTISEMENT

This team is stacked....

Richard the LIONhearted

May 29, 2001
Funny that none of the members at Media Day yesterday were using the terms we had become so familiar with over the past few years: "depth issues, gaps, talent deficits, lack of numbers, etc...".
That is because this team is well stocked with top quality talent at nearly all positions ---- now---- not in another 3 years of recruiting after the sanctions, but right now in 2015. Just look at offense: good players at each position group and a line that will be adequate with a 2-deep. QB, WR, TB, TE, C, G, and T all look real nice.

"Young" is the new term used by media replacing the Soviet era sanction lingo - even David Jones is RAVING about the secondary.

Upside for 2015 for those that choose to look carefully at this roster!

Reactions: bmw199
Funny that none of the members at Media Day yesterday were using the terms we had become so familiar with over the past few years: "depth issues, gaps, talent deficits, lack of numbers, etc...".
That is because this team is well stocked with top quality talent at nearly all positions ---- now---- not in another 3 years of recruiting after the sanctions, but right now in 2015. Just look at offense: good players at each position group and a line that will be adequate with a 2-deep. QB, WR, TB, TE, C, G, and T all look real nice.

"Young" is the new term used by media replacing the Soviet era sanction lingo - even David Jones is RAVING about the secondary.

Yes, with so many starters returning and the young players that saw action last season there is reason for optimism. But the unknowns (OL, special teams especially kicking) are still significant.

Yes, with so many starters returning and the young players that saw action last season there is reason for optimism. But the unknowns (OL, special teams especially kicking) are still significant.
OL and Kickers.....you're right Cappy.

I agree with OP wrt all the other position groups......but the STILL incredible lack of legit, mature offensive linemen is a HUGE obstacle to overcome. Expecting anything better than "meh" offensive performance as a result would be - IMHO - wishful thinking.

As bad as the punting was last year......it doesn't look like it is likely to get much better until at least 2016 (when some new blood arrives at P)......and - with the loss of Ficken, and no one on the current roster who appears to be anywhere close to being able to replace him - the PK situation will likely be in the same state as the P - which would be, frankly, somewhere between "not good" and "dumpster fire". Let's hope for "not good".

Most every team in the country has weaknesses and question marks. The Offensive Line issues and the P/PK issues will likely hold PSU back from any type of "great" season (fans can always "hope", but it would be unrealistic hope - IMHO).

With the REASONABLE possibility of real strengths at the offensive skill positions, the defensive tackle and secondary, and some good possibilities at DE and LB....along with greater depth across the board....it could certainly be a good (8, 9 win) season, if the team can avoid serious injuries etc. Catch a couple of breaks, maybe they can steal 10.

2005? The success will take people by surprise, but Cappy and Barry are right about the kicking. Over Under is still 3.5 for kicks that hit our own lineman in the back. I still say Hack is the favorite to lead the team in punting avg.

We need Quake now!

This one is too.
cheerleaders_eagles_thumb_425x335.jpg

When I think of "stacks" I think of one of the best TV shows of my youth, "B.J. and the Bear"

135507.jpg

The OL is thin and most players have no experience. No kicker or punter on scholly.

We absolutely are, especially at the skill positions on offense!!! Obviously Hack at QB, who in my opinion is the best QB in the country. At RB, we have more depth than people think. Akeel Lynch is a running back I love, and we have a lot of talent behind him. I look for Scott and Allen to provide good depth as both are capable scat type backs that can break off big run at any time. I also look for Barkley to be a tremendous back and for him to get meaningful playing time this year. I feel our receiving corps are the best in the Big Ten. We have tons of depth at both WR and TE. Godwin, Hamilton, Lewis, and Blacknall will all do their thing, and I look for improved separation from corners with each of them, and plenty of chunk plays. Also, look for positive contributions from Thompkins in the slot and on Punt and hopefully kick returns. True freshman Juwan Johnson could play as a true freshman as the kid is an athletic freak in the Calvin Johnson mold. Look for Gesicki to have a big year at tight end, as the kid is a freak athlete and Carter/Breneman will do great things as well. As far as the line goes, I think we will be much improved compared to last season. Look for many more games where we score in the 30s and 40s this year.

On defense, look for Zettel and Johnson to play at the All-American type level that hyped up to be. At D end, I really like Sickels as a pass rusher and hopefully Nassib ends up being an adequate starter at the other end position. At linebacker, I think our starting unit is great, and our second string unit will be solid and provide good depth. Look for a big year from Wartman and Bell, and I think Farmer makes some big plays for us this year, as I am hearing rave reviews about this kids athleticism. In the secondary, it looks to be one of the best we have had in a while, and I look for Lucas to have a huge year and provide great leadership. Trevor Williams is an underrated player who should have a good year, and I think Christian Campbell is the best option to start alongside him, as I am not the biggest Grant Haley fan. Our other safety, Marcus Allen, is destined to be a star in this conference, and I look for him to have a great year. Look for stats similar to last years D and most teams will have trouble getting in the 20s against our D.

Special Teams is easily my biggest concern. The Kicker position absolutely scares me to death, as Ficken was so good and valuable last year. One of the most clutch kickers I've ever seen. Hopefully Joey Julius can at least be an adequate kicker that doesn't miss 'the important kicks,' as many college football games are won or lost on the leg of a kicker. At punter, we will probably struggle to gain field position again, and I think Gulla should be given a shot if he has the strongest leg of the three punters. Pasqerillo really struggled last year, and I'm not optimistic that there will be a big improvement with him starting. I look for Thompkins to start at Punt Returner, and because of this we should be much improved in this area. This kid is a burner with excellent athleticism. Look for this to be our best punt returner since D Will by a long shot. I think Thompkins should at least be given a shot at one of the two kick return spots, purely based on his speed and athleticism. I guess Haley gets the other spot, but if he struggles, like he did at times last season, then it's next man up. Hopefully Special Teams does not cost us any games this year.

Overall, I am very optimistic about what our final record will be this year. I look for a 9-3 season, as I fear special teams will cost us in one of our games. If we can go into OSU undefeated, which is what SHOULD happen, then ANYTHING could happen from there on out, as this team will be sky high at that point of the season, and have a ton of momentum. God I cant wait for the season. Is it September 5th yet?!?!?!

I think 9-3 or even 10-2 is possible, however I wouldn't call this team stacked. Ohio State is stacked. Our talent is probably getting close to Michigan and MSU.

I think 9-3 or even 10-2 is possible, however I wouldn't call this team stacked. Ohio State is stacked. Our talent is probably getting close to Michigan and MSU.

We certainly are better and deeper than last year. The problem is "quality" depth. We do have that at some positions. Questionable areas, OL, kicking, LB, RB. Do we have a backup QB? We are a year or two away from were we should be. That being said, if we stay healthy we could win 10.

We certainly are better and deeper than last year. The problem is "quality" depth. We do have that at some positions. Questionable areas, OL, kicking, LB, RB. Do we have a backup QB? We are a year or two away from were we should be. That being said, if we stay healthy we could win 10.
I think this will be our overall best line backing corps since BOB's first year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT