ADVERTISEMENT

We have a dude

PSU Soupy

Aug 3, 2008
For the first time, in a long time it appears that we have a guy at the helm who can make all of the throws that are necessary to be a complete QB.

Is this important? I would say that it is the most important attibute to have on your team.

My reasoning for this thought, Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, and Herbert are the 4 most likely teams to win in the AFC........ and they are presumed to be the best QBs in the AFC. PSU seems to have a good OL.....very good RBs, pretty good WRs, but now we have a dude...... therefore we are in play for greatness in the next 2 years.

I was disappointed slightly in the Defense against WVU but in thinking about it, the upside that was presented by Allar......is what will take us to where we want to be, a real threat to tOSU and U of M.

Great game by Blue and White Tonight.

Good opening night but kicking game needs work. Allar was great but pocket collapsed much too often. OL was average as was dline. It was a 42-14 kind of a game, though and have some things to work but a good opener against a decent opponent.

For the first time, in a long time it appears that we have a guy at the helm who can make all of the throws that are necessary to be a complete QB.

Is this important? I would say that it is the most important attibute to have on your team.

My reasoning for this thought, Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, and Herbert are the 4 most likely teams to win in the AFC........ and they are presumed to be the best QBs in the AFC. PSU seems to have a good OL.....very good RBs, pretty good WRs, but now we have a dude...... therefore we are in play for greatness in the next 2 years.

I was disappointed slightly in the Defense against WVU but in thinking about it, the upside that was presented by Allar......is what will take us to where we want to be, a real threat to tOSU and U of M.

He definitely looked like the real deal.

Let me give you a more pessimistic view:

If pessimistic means playing Washington Generals to O$U and Michigan (we have now officially fallen behind these clowns in my eyes), then yes I am pessimistic.

I thought we would have a great defense...they did not even look good. And it's how they did not look good that has me really concerned. Tackling was bad. Play at point of attack was bad. Being in position to make plays was atrocious. Line looked weak. No pass rush. Linebacker play was so bad my mouth is still wide open. Outside of Dixon, secondary play was bad. Kalen King should be ashamed.

I though the Oline would be very good and they were below average.

I hoped the wideouts would be good to very good ...the looked average.

The special teams was other worldly bad (outside the big kickoff dude). Will cost us at least one game.

QB plays was very good (I hoped/expected it to be).

RB play was very good but I expected excellent. OLine may be to blame.

No bonehead in-game coaching but not really tested.

Only 1 penalty. Excellent.

If pessimistic means playing Washington Generals to O$U and Michigan (we have now officially fallen behind these clowns in my eyes), then yes I am pessimistic.

I thought we would have a great defense...they did not even look good. And it's how they did not look good that has me really concerned. Tackling was bad. Play at point of attack was bad. Being in position to make plays was atrocious. Line looked weak. No pass rush. Linebacker play was so bad my mouth is still wide open. Outside of Dixon, secondary play was bad. Kalen King should be ashamed.

The special teams was other worldly bad (outside the big kickoff dude). Will cost us at least one game.

You’re right, first game of the season they should be flawless in all aspects of the game…by the way, OSU looked worse than we did.

You’re right, first game of the season they should be flawless in all aspects of the game…by the way, OSU looked worse than we did.
Yeah, and many fans overlook this especially the fans of teams that are breaking in several new players. It's just tough to come to any solid conclusions based on the first 2 or 3 games - especially with most of the ranked teams playing teams that they're expected to beat solidly.

I have zero complaints (other than the kicker) and I thought everything yesterday went according to plan. Couldn't have been happier with it.
Allar looks better than McCord which is a great news. Will be interesting to see how long of a leash he has.

I have zero complaints (other than the kicker) and I thought everything yesterday went according to plan. Couldn't have been happier with it.
Allar looks better than McCord which is a great news. Will be interesting to see how long of a leash he has.
I think they’re going to ride him for the next couple of games so teams have to game plan for him, then they unleash Singleton and Allen.

Reactions: 81b&w
I watched both games and agree about Allar looking great but McCord looked a lot better in the 2nd half after a shaky start. I think he just needs playing time - he does have a bigtime arm which the announcers alluded to several times.

Which brings me to my question......if Day realizes that McCord just needs some game time which I'm sure he does, will he play Brown a lot (the other QB) in the next couple of games like he said he would? If he doesn't, you can bet that Brown will hit the Portal.

I tuned into the OSU game yesterday to basically watch their - supposedly - improved defense which is the key to their season. They really looked rock solid but again it was Indiana. But they only gave up around 150 total yards and 3 points and I have to believe that you have to go back a few years ago the last time that happened. Everybody - including the patsies - moved the ball consistently against OSU the last 2 to 3 years.

I'm calling it now - the PSU-OSU game will come down to the PSU OL versus the OSU DL. Should be a whale of a matchup

Reactions: LandoComando
I watched both games and agree about Allar looking great but McCord looked a lot better in the 2nd half after a shaky start. I think he just needs playing time - he does have a bigtime arm which the announcers alluded to several times.

Which brings me to my question......if Day realizes that McCord just needs some game time which I'm sure he does, will he play Brown a lot (the other QB) in the next couple of games like he said he would? If he doesn't, you can bet that Brown will hit the Portal.

I tuned into the OSU game yesterday to basically watch their - supposedly - improved defense which is the key to their season. They really looked rock solid but again it was Indiana. But they only gave up around 150 total yards and 3 points and I have to believe that you have to go back a few years ago the last time that happened. Everybody - including the patsies - moved the ball consistently against OSU the last 2 to 3 years.

I'm calling it now - the PSU-OSU game will come down to the PSU OL versus the OSU DL. Should be a whale of a matchup
Completely agree with this assessment. I didn't watch much of the Ohio State game because I knew Indiana wouldn't be able to move the ball. I saw a few drives and McCord did look more comfortable as the game went on. He has a great arm. It will be interesting to see how they prep for ND.

Completely agree with this assessment. I didn't watch much of the Ohio State game because I knew Indiana wouldn't be able to move the ball. I saw a few drives and McCord did look more comfortable as the game went on. He has a great arm. It will be interesting to see how they prep for ND.
I think we both agree it's WAY too early to start drawing conclusions. The 2 games I want to see PSU play is maybe the Illinois and especially Iowa games. Not so sure that Illinois is a challenge but the Iowa game should tell a lot.

I think we both agree it's WAY too early to start drawing conclusions. The 2 games I want to see PSU play is maybe the Illinois and especially Iowa games. Not so sure that Illinois is a challenge but the Iowa game should tell a lot.
Yupp I'm not at all worried about losing to Iowa. Unless their D or ST score for them it's a game Iowa should struggle to score more than 10.

Reactions: AWS1022
Yes, having someone who can throw downfield like Drew opens everything else up. The run game, short to intermediate throws etc.

Having a dude that can uncork a dime 40 yards downfield at anytime completely changes defensive strategy. Singleton and Allen are total studs. The QB is a stud. Oline is finally good. We can pressure the QB and defend the pass. Stopping the run on D and the kicking game our my only concerns.

Bro they completely dominated WVU. Yes, we made some mistakes that resulted in losing out on some scoring opportunities. There was some sloppiness, but domination from start to finish. WVU isn’t great, but a capable P5 team. It’s a solid 1st win.

Reactions: royboy
Yupp I'm not at all worried about losing to Iowa. Unless their D or ST score for them it's a game Iowa should struggle to score more than 10.
Not calling for an Iowa upset. Just saying that Iowa's defense (and MAYBE Illinois) will be the 1st true test of PSU's offense. I'm guessing it will be close the 1st half but PSU pulls away in the 2nd half

Reactions: LandoComando
It kills you how we win by over 3 scores in game 1 with a new QB and lots of players in the 2 deep out but some only see the negatives.
Welcome to College Football - 2023. Go read the OSU boards. They basically have a rebuilt OL and new QB but their fans want to torch Ryan Day and they also won by 3 scores. Something tells me they'll be just fine as the season goes on. Just like PSU, they also took over in the 2nd half.

It kills you how we win by over 3 scores in game 1 with a new QB and lots of players in the 2 deep out but some only see the negatives.
It's easy to focus on the negatives because people want more and to contend for titles. I think yesterday was a great opener but of course some are going to think yesterday proved them right that our run D up the middle will struggle. Nothing supports that but they believe it so they see it. Just like many think Ohio State won't be elite because of yesterday. People always overreact and see what they want.

Reactions: OaktonDave
Welcome to College Football - 2023. Go read the OSU boards. They basically have a rebuilt OL and new QB but their fans want to torch Ryan Day and they also won by 3 scores. Something tells me they'll be just fine as the season goes on. Just like PSU, they also took over in the 2nd half.
I saw some tweets that were brutal. One was a photo of a high end sports car parked under a covered roof at a crappy looking house and implied it was WRs at Ohio St in Day's offense.

Last edited:
2023? How about every year?

Reactions: rrdd2021
I saw some tweets that were brutal. One was a photo of a high end sports car parked under a covered roof at a crappy looking house and implied it was WRs at Ohio St I'm Day's offense.
Which is ridiculous. Fans are dumbasses all around CF. Something tells me that once their new QB and OL play a few games together, their WRs will be lighting it up. Also read - I believe it was their O-Zone - that their crazy-ass fans wanted to roast-torch- and bench CJ Stroud after one of his 1st starts - I believe it was Oregon - a few years ago. In yesterday's game, Indiana was not going to let Egbuka and Harrison beat them so they went - quite a bit - to that Julius Fleming (#4) and their TE (#8) - can't think of his name. They were running wide open.

I'll be watching the OSU games and concentrating on the OSU defense which - IMO - the key to their season.

Indiana's offense is historically bad. I think they lose to Rutgers.

Reactions: Online Persona
Which is ridiculous. Fans are dumbasses all around CF. Something tells me that once their new QB and OL play a few games together, their WRs will be lighting it up. Also read - I believe it was their O-Zone - that their crazy-ass fans wanted to roast-torch- and bench CJ Stroud after one of his 1st starts - I believe it was Oregon - a few years ago. In yesterday's game, Indiana was not going to let Egbuka and Harrison beat them so they went - quite a bit - to that Julius Fleming (#4) and their TE (#8) - can't think of his name. They were running wide open.

I'll be watching the OSU games and concentrating on the OSU defense which - IMO - the key to their season.
To be fair. The expectation at Ohio State is to be Bama and that starts by beating Michigan yearly. Day's fallen short of Urban. Day's seat is probably unjustly a little hot

Reactions: 91Joe95
To be fair. The expectation at Ohio State is to be Bama and that starts by beating Michigan yearly. Day's fallen short of Urban. Day's seat is probably unjustly a little hot
Very possible and he has a brutal schedule this year. That ND-OSU game in a few weeks should tell us a lot.

Tackling will never be great under Franklin as he coaches for the big hit. I've come to accept that - it is what it is.

Allar could have hit receivers in stride better, but that is really nitpicking given the first game, etc, etc. I'm not worried about him, he looks like the real deal.

I love the under center power plays, but they did that at the beginning of the year last year too and then got away from it. I think if they did it more they could run the ball more consistently and control more of the clock, which is especially useful against power running teams that PSU has struggled with. Lining a RB up behind a QB who is in shotgun? That's a long time before the RB makes it to the line of scrimmage. Allar can handle under center snaps, use it more often - get the benefit of play action passing. RB's look excellent, especially Singleton, I just wish the offense played to their strengths better.

I liked about 90% of what I saw, it really was a good first game against a P5 opponent and shouldn't be discounted.

Whoa, put the brakes on and let him settle in. The defenses he'll face down the road will be a heck of a lot better than what he faced yesterday. With that said, he did look really good
Its not just about 1 game. It's about his poise in the pocket, arm strength, and accuracy. Still needs to work on his short passes, maybe taking something off of it, to make it easier for his wrs. But he's going to get better over the course of the season.

Its not just about 1 game. It's about his poise in the pocket, arm strength, and accuracy. Still needs to work on his short passes, maybe taking something off of it, to make it easier for his wrs. But he's going to get better over the course of the season.
Not saying he isn't good - he looked really good - but some of the defenses he'll face in the conference will test both his decision making and his OL. I'm just saying let's not anoint him top 5 quite yet. Down the road ? Very possible. West Virginia just didn't have the defense to pressure him.

If you watched the OSU-Indiana game, the announcers mentioned what a really strong arm McCord has - probably every bit as strong as Allar's. But Indiana was doing everything possible to get to get to McCord and pressure him - knowing it was his 1st game - and both coaches mentioned it afterwards. He looked a lot better in the 2nd half. It all comes down to experience for most gifted QBs. Heck, the OSU fans wanted to tar and feather CJ Stroud after his 1st start against Oregon a few years back and we saw how that turned out

Not saying he isn't good - he looked really good - but some of the defenses he'll face in the conference will test both his decision making and his OL. I'm just saying let's not anoint him top 5 quite yet. Down the road ? Very possible. West Virginia just didn't have the defense to pressure him.

If you watched the OSU-Indiana game, the announcers mentioned what a really strong arm McCord has - probably every bit as strong as Allar's. But Indiana was doing everything possible to get to get to McCord and pressure him - knowing it was his 1st game - and both coaches mentioned it afterwards. He looked a lot better in the 2nd half. It all comes down to experience for most gifted QBs. Heck, the OSU fans wanted to tar and feather CJ Stroud after his 1st start against Oregon a few years back and we saw how that turned out

My neighbor a big football fan said that Allar looked more like Rothlesberger than any college QB he has ever seen. Big, mobile enough and throws from different arm positions.

I thought that it was a pretty accurate description of Drew.

Last edited:
Not arguing that he had a very good day but I try to have an open mind when evaluating players and teams. The statement that I was challenging was that he is already a top 5 QB in CF. Those stats were against a weak West Virginia and do you really think that he'll have the same stats against some of the top defensive teams in the B1G? That's the point I was trying to make. This was his 1st start for God's sake against a team that could not put a rush or any pressure on him.

Now, can he be a top 5 QB in time? Absolutely - he has all of the physical tools. Let's give him time against top notch competition to prove himself. Oh, and kudos to the PSU OL as they really looked solid - unlike some of the previous years. And that 2-headed monster at RB isn't exactly chopped liver. Should be a great year for the PSU offense

Not arguing that he had a very good day but I try to have an open mind when evaluating players and teams. The statement that I was challenging was that he is already a top 5 QB in CF. Those stats were against a weak West Virginia and do you really think that he'll have the same stats against some of the top defensive teams in the B1G? That's the point I was trying to make. This was his 1st start for God's sake against a team that could not put a rush or any pressure on him.

Now, can he be a top 5 QB in time? Absolutely - he has all of the physical tools. Let's give him time against top notch competition to prove himself. Oh, and kudos to the PSU OL as they really looked solid - unlike some of the previous years. And that 2-headed monster at RB isn't exactly chopped liver. Should be a great year for the PSU offense
I've always suspected that you were an Ohio St fan but your claim that Allar played "against a team that could not put a rush or any pressure on him." likely confirms it. There is no way you watched the PSU game and came to that conclusion. Allar was forced to climb the pocket, throw on the run, etc. very frequently. He had a good bit of pressure and handled it like a wily vet. I suspect he just has a very good feel for the pocket and when to escape while always keeping his eyes downfield.

I've always suspected that you were an Ohio St fan but your claim that Allar played "against a team that could not put a rush or any pressure on him." likely confirms it. There is no way you watched the PSU game and came to that conclusion. Allar was forced to climb the pocket, throw on the run, etc. very frequently. He had a good bit of pressure and handled it like a wily vet. I suspect he just has a very good feel for the pocket and when to escape while always keeping his eyes downfield.
Not an OSU fan and if you look at my posts I've also slammed McCord and OSU for yesterday's game against Indiana. I did have kids - young relatives go to OSU but don't lose sleep when they lose. As Ive previously stated, I'm a Northwestern grad. Allar is very good but let me turn it back to you. I took exception that he is already a top 5 QB. Do you think he's a top 5 QB in CF right now after one start against WV and mop up duty last year? Maybe in time, YES, he has the tools

Last edited:
Reactions: 91Joe95
I don't see Allen or Ben. Especially not Allen who's a legit force as a runner. I think people see that just because of Josh size. To me he moves in the pocket like Joe Burrow does. Obviously another lofty comp but watching Burrow at LSU especially there's similarities early on.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Not an OSU fan and if you look at my posts I've also slammed McCord and OSU for yesterday's game against Indiana. I did have kids - young relatives go to OSU but don't lose sleep when they lose. As Ive previously stated, I'm a Northwestern grad. Allar is very good but let me turn it back to you. I took exception that he is already a top 5 QB. Do you think he's a top 5 QB in CF right now after one start against WV and mop up duty last year? Maybe in time, YES, he has the tools
He's saying he's a top 5 QB now because he wanted him to play lazy year not because he believes it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT