ADVERTISEMENT

Thinking about going to my first NCAA Championships

What he said. I haven't had a problem with streaming from ESPN for NCAA's. I'm old and went to my first Nationals at Princeton in 1981. The cost(s) associated with attending live combined with the quantum leap in viewing opportunities make it really hard to pull the trigger on going in person - even if one runs the gauntlet to get tix.
This is where I'm at. I used to go to Nationals every year, and, obviously, you can't replace the atmosphere and the in between sessions fun, but, I have had a really nice setup in my basement the last few years. I get 5 TV's going and have some good wrestling friends over. We go out in between most sessions. It is a great time and a LOT cheaper!

Reactions: Ski and Creek Side
This is where I'm at. I used to go to Nationals every year, and, obviously, you can't replace the atmosphere and the in between sessions fun, but, I have had a really nice setup in my basement the last few years. I get 5 TV's going and have some good wrestling friends over. We go out in between most sessions. It is a great time and a LOT cheaper!
images

Sorry. Nothing like being there. Especially in a suite right next to some GIA faithful.
You can watch as it slowly empties as each round goes by. And the Spencer Lee pin was epic. Never heard an arena get so loud so fast. The buzz was electric.

Last edited:
images

Sorry. Nothing like being there. Especially in a suite right next to some GIA faithful.
You can watch as it slowly empties as each round goes by. And the Spencer Lee pin was epic. Never heard an arena get so loud so fast. The buzz was electric.
Obviously, to each their own. I have been in suites or club sections most years that I have gone. I was there for a lot of epic moments (Cenzo's pin, Bo's pin, Dake/DT, etc). You are right, nothing can match the buzz in the arena. It's definitely a cool experience. I also love the wrestling community and the experiences you get just being in that world with like minded people. The stories being shared, the memories being made are awesome.

Now, on the other side of things, you get a better view of the matches. I will have every PSU match front and center on my 85-inch TV with Byers feed blaring. I will be drinking with my friends and we will be having a good time.

There are positives to both experiences. Perhaps I'm getting to that bah-humbug part of my life (I just turned 49), but, sometimes I choose the relaxing, cheaper version these days. Perhaps that is due to being spoiled and getting to experience a lot of great moments live, but, it's just where I'm at, for better or worse.

Reactions: Bob_Anderson
Wow. You became curmudgeonly way earlier than me. I was like you but surprisingly I got a new attitude after Covid did it's number on the country. I decided to prioritize the NCAA's over most other events, concerts etc. By the way I am 20 years your senior. The home set up can be sweet. No doubt. It may be my fall back sooner or later. Right now I am on the waiting list for suites for the next 3 years.

Wow. You became curmudgeonly way earlier than me. I was like you but surprisingly I got a new attitude after Covid did it's number on the country. I decided to prioritize the NCAA's over most other events, concerts etc. By the way I am 20 years your senior. The home set up can be sweet. No doubt. It may be my fall back sooner or later. Right now I am on the waiting list for suites for the next 3 years.

It's crazy that you mention concerts. I think I've been to more concerts and music events in the last year than I have in my entire life. That has more to do with being in a happy relationship than anything else. If the cost is right and the opportunity is good, I'd still prefer being there live. All I'm saying is that the home route has it's positives too, if you do it right.

Tell me more about how you use the 5 TVs. I resorted the last 2 years to using the 8 mat multi-screen that ESPN+ now provides, but the one annoying thing with that is it doesn't display riding time. And for whatever reason, I can't ever seem to keep Byers in sync for long. Don't know if it's due to streaming or what, but wind up having to turn off his PBP since he's always way ahead of what's on the screen.

Tell me more about how you use the 5 TVs. I resorted the last 2 years to using the 8 mat multi-screen that ESPN+ now provides, but the one annoying thing with that is it doesn't display riding time. And for whatever reason, I can't ever seem to keep Byers in sync for long. Don't know if it's due to streaming or what, but wind up having to turn off his PBP since he's always way ahead of what's on the screen.
The Byers thing does get difficult. The only way to keep up with it is to keep pausing either the computer feed or the tv feed. I agree, that piece is annoying and you have to decide if it's worth it.

One of the 5 screens has the mat assignments on it from a computer. The main screen always has the match we want the most. The other TV's have some combination of multi-screens so we have all the mats up somewhere. It obviously gets easier as the sessions move on and less matches are occurring at once. I distinctly remember that during the Ramos-Lee match last year, I, for some reason was watching the lower multi-screen TV and everyone else was on the main TV. My feed was ahead of the others, so, they were all wondering why I stood up and started yelling. 10 seconds later, they were doing the same. Whether I'm in the arena or at home, those are three of my favorite days every single year. They are a holiday for me.

I have been twice. First time was St. Louis. I took my sons as jr and sr in HS as well as their club coach. Their wrestling club coach had never been. We loaded the wife's mini van and drove 21 hours to St. Louis. Got a hotel where we could catch the park and ride. Road the train to the arena. Tickets were in the nose bleed but were there to see the guys win 5 in a row. Cenzo with the pin of Imar. The fan club stuff was great. We didn't know anyone else there but had a great time. Some of the sessions we moved down into the empty seats closer to the mats. It was the plan to be the boys big trip.

Next year my younger son was concussed in the state quarter finals and had to medical forfeit out the tournament. He had been in the finals the previous 2 years. He was devastated. He and I took his school coach and went to Cleveland. That year we ended up in between Iowa fans on the right and Ohio fans on the left. Such a fun atmosphere when Bo when Bo and pinned to seal the team title. If you can possibly make it happen it is a trip you and your son will never forget. I look forward to taking my wife and kids when I retire. Wife teaches school and has a hard time leaving in March. I have a daughter who wrestled college and a daughter in law who wrestled in HS. I look forward to making this a trip for all of us when the time comes.

As for viewing it is better at home on the TV but you can't replace or recreate the electricity in the building.

Obviously, to each their own. I have been in suites or club sections most years that I have gone. I was there for a lot of epic moments (Cenzo's pin, Bo's pin, Dake/DT, etc). You are right, nothing can match the buzz in the arena. It's definitely a cool experience. I also love the wrestling community and the experiences you get just being in that world with like minded people. The stories being shared, the memories being made are awesome.

Now, on the other side of things, you get a better view of the matches. I will have every PSU match front and center on my 85-inch TV with Byers feed blaring. I will be drinking with my friends and we will be having a good time.

There are positives to both experiences. Perhaps I'm getting to that bah-humbug part of my life (I just turned 49), but, sometimes I choose the relaxing, cheaper version these days. Perhaps that is due to being spoiled and getting to experience a lot of great moments live, but, it's just where I'm at, for better or worse.
What @WexfordWarrior meant was, that if you attend in person you have a really good chance of hanging out with me. I thought I'd clear that up for you.

Quick update ... PARKWHIZ for KC NCAA's has daily parking in an open lot across the street from the arena now available. $6.36 per day! Plan early, it's much cheaper!

...the NCAAs are a great time-this
will be my 61st and it is never boring...
... I look forward to renewing old friendships with fans from all over the U.S...
...we always have a group of 6-8 which usually includes my son and 2 grandsons
...occasionally the wives attend if it's in the East..
...don't miss it...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT