ADVERTISEMENT

Thinking about going to my first NCAA Championships

Btown Lion

Jun 21, 2001
And looking for advice from those that have been there before. Best way to get tickets, auxiliary events that I should plan to attend, etc.. When do tickets even go on sale? Thanks in advance.

How do allotments work per school? Is it worth getting in with Long Island University yet? My buddies and I are in the middle of this same exact conversation.

And looking for advice from those that have been there before. Best way to get tickets, auxiliary events that I should plan to attend, etc.. When do tickets even go on sale? Thanks in advance.
The only time I went was when it was in NY and I just bought tickets right before each session on StubHub . I was suppose to be working but my boss knew I was a big wrestling fan and was fine for me to skip out of the office for the day on Thur and Friday

Reactions: danoftw and hlstone
I've never been either, but despite the price, I bit the bullet and got the Fan Experience package as a Father/Son trip for my son for Christmas. I can't wait! We did Final X in Stillwater a couple years ago, and this year we will do NCAAs and then OTTs. The Final X trip was one of the best memories he and I have ever made, so I cannot even begin to describe how excited I am for those trips! Helps that NCAAs is only a 5 hour drive and I can go "home" for NCAAs and stay with family.

I've never been either, but despite the price, I bit the bullet and got the Fan Experience package as a Father/Son trip for my son for Christmas. I can't wait! We did Final X in Stillwater a couple years ago, and this year we will do NCAAs and then OTTs. The Final X trip was one of the best memories he and I have ever made, so I cannot even begin to describe how excited I am for those trips! Helps that NCAAs is only a 5 hour drive and I can go "home" for NCAAs and stay with family.
I saw the Fan Experience on the NCAA site too and it looks very cool, plus you get a picture with the trophy. Price is pretty salty though.

Best advice I can give is to stay on this forum, be active with good shares, and when NCAAs come around ask to join a suite.

Good times will follow!

Good luck my new friend!
Thanks, that is a great suggestion. Would love to get in on a suite. Keep me in mind if you know of one. I have been a fan since I went to school during the Jimmy Martin days. Watching the Moore brothers was a blast as well.

Reactions: hlstone
So, while we are getting questions in on this topic…I’ve never been either and want to go. But so many wrestling tournaments I’ve been to are not very viewer friendly, and I really want to watch the matches that I want to see. Can you move from seat to seat/mat to mat to view the matches you are most interested in?? Coverage on TV/streaming is pretty good and I’m worried that I’ll miss some key action In early rounds. Problem or no?

I would not try that:

b137e0b0-7da3-447e-88f2-c4ec01c993ce_text.gif

or
84226241-6e5f-4136-bfd7-acd2cd43216d_text.gif

Reactions: danoftw
So, while we are getting questions in on this topic…I’ve never been either and want to go. But so many wrestling tournaments I’ve been to are not very viewer friendly, and I really want to watch the matches that I want to see. Can you move from seat to seat/mat to mat to view the matches you are most interested in?? Coverage on TV/streaming is pretty good and I’m worried that I’ll miss some key action In early rounds. Problem or no?

NCAA's is not general admission. you get the seat that's on your ticket. yes, you'll miss some action but it's a lot easier to move your eyes than to click a different window/tab and wait for it to buffer.

My dudes,

I've never been either. Hoping Philly is my chance. Keep me in your thoughts and prayers for a sweet suite slot.

That's why I have 4 tvs and an iPad for NCAA's. Plus JB synced up on the phone.
What he said. I haven't had a problem with streaming from ESPN for NCAA's. I'm old and went to my first Nationals at Princeton in 1981. The cost(s) associated with attending live combined with the quantum leap in viewing opportunities make it really hard to pull the trigger on going in person - even if one runs the gauntlet to get tix.

... minus COVID years, I've gone every year since PSU held the NCAA's in 1999

You will find that the last row in any arena is a good view for the closest mats. Scoreclocks are harder to see, but the action is still the same! The arena will have a BUZZ that you don't get at home watching on TV.

I am partial to leaving the area of town that the event is held and searching YELP for a great restaurant ... good local pub ... or even better pizza! There is time between sessions to get away from the crowds.

Tips: Get a parking APP on your cell phone - flip phone users, you are SOL ... I paid $4 each session last year in Tulsa and very similar the prior year in Detroit ...

More Tips: Find a school/wrestling club that usually gets an allotment and make a nice donation to get on the list!

More Tips: AVOID the ticketmaster option of single session buys, unless you are just looking for a single session --- the fees are stupid! No longer do they sell all 6 sessions.

More Tips: Pack clean underwear, I don't want to sit next to you if you smell like ass!

I saw the Fan Experience on the NCAA site too and it looks very cool, plus you get a picture with the trophy. Price is pretty salty though.
You can get a picture with the trophy at the Penn State Wrestling Club party immediately following the finals. I’d insert a pic from Tulsa, but not sure how to do so. Maybe @82bordeaux will post it.

You will find that the last row in any arena is a good view for the closest mats. Scoreclocks are harder to see, but the action is still the same! The arena will have a BUZZ that you don't get at home watching on TV.

I am partial to leaving the area of town that the event is held and searching YELP for a great restaurant ... good local pub ... or even better pizza! There is time between sessions to get away from the crowds.

Tips: Get a parking APP on your cell phone - flip phone users, you are SOL ... I paid $4 each session last year in Tulsa and very similar the prior year in Detroit ...

More Tips: Find a school/wrestling club that usually gets an allotment and make a nice donation to get on the list!

More Tips: AVOID the ticketmaster option of single session buys, unless you are just looking for a single session --- the fees are stupid! No longer do they sell all 6 sessions.

More Tips: Pack clean underwear, I don't want to sit next to you if you smell like ass!
Hit me up when we get closer for Restaurants, etc.

I've gone 3 times with the fan experience with my Dad. It is the easiest, but not cheapest. I believe the team allocations are determined by the number of qualifiers. So, the number each school gets is not really know until a few weeks before the event. Some schools might have a guaranteed number regardless of qualiers, but I'm not sure. I would think the host school has an allocation.

You can get a picture with the trophy at the Penn State Wrestling Club party immediately following the finals. I’d insert a pic from Tulsa, but not sure how to do so. Maybe @82bordeaux will post it.
How does one get access to the Penn State Wrestling Club party?

Got tickets from NDSU & Oklahoma in 2018. I joined the NDSU wrestling booster club for $100.

By 2019 I could find no tickets from any of about 20+ schools. Sounds like NCAA really limited amount of tickets going to each school. Ended up paying $700 per upper deck end of arena seat In Pittsburgh.

I've gone 3 times with the fan experience with my Dad. It is the easiest, but not cheapest. I believe the team allocations are determined by the number of qualifiers. So, the number each school gets is not really know until a few weeks before the event. Some schools might have a guaranteed number regardless of qualiers, but I'm not sure. I would think the host school has an allocation.
Unless the NCAA has changed things, allocations were based on some arcane formula derived from past attendance (from some years in the past when the tournament was always held in the midwest). Hence Iowa, OSU, etc. got larger allocations. Not the best system, imo.

Thanks for the great recommendations, athough the last one was a bit odd. Have you run into a lot of people that smell like ass? Do you normally sit in the Iowa section?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: WexfordWarrior
My advice - do what you can within reason to get there. Was lucky to have pretty good tix in Pittsburgh in 2019. Single best sporting event I've ever attended. Did help that I'm a PSU fan of course, but it was awesome. Good luck!

Definitely go! You won't regret it. A very cool experience to have in life

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT