ADVERTISEMENT

Things you never thought you'd hear: B1G is the best conference in CFB

heckmans

Feb 13, 2006
From an Alabama/SEC fanboy analyst

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial
===============================
In 2014, Paul Finebaum authored a book titled My Conference Can Beat Your Conference: Why the SEC Still Rules College Football.

Two years later, it's looking like it might be time for a follow-up.

Or a retraction.

Says who?

Finebaum, himself.

"Right now, repeat after me, read my lips: The Big Ten is the best conference in college football," Finebaum said during a Monday appearance on ESPN's College Football Live.

Understand that Finebaum's making such a statement carries a certain level of gravitas in the college football world.

An observer of the SEC since his time as an Alabama football columnist in the early 1980s, Finebaum has become synonymous with the conference. One of the central figureheads on ESPN's SEC Network, Finebaum has been hesitant to praise the Big Ten in the past—at least with the same enthusiasm he exudes while touting his home turf.

"I think you know where I live and what waters I swim in," Finebaum said moments prior to making his pro-Big Ten proclamation.

But sometimes, as Finebaum conceded, facts are too much to overcome.

hi-res-64f0d9c8080e72f265ba0872019e561c_crop_exact.jpg
Lance King/Getty Images
One-fourth of the way through the 2016 regular season, no league has found as much success as the Big Ten. Entering the start of conference play, the Big Ten lays claim to a national-best 30-8 overall record, including an impressive 8-3 mark against fellow Power Five programs.

Comparatively, the SEC, ACC and Pac-12 each possess records of 5-5 against Power Five programs, while the Big 12 is just 3-6. Counting just FBS opponents, the Big Ten's .800 winning percentage also stands as the country's best, topping the SEC's .708 mark.

As a result, four Big Ten teams—No. 2 Ohio State, No. 4 Michigan, No. 8 Michigan State and No. 11 Wisconsin—make up the first 11 programs listed in the most recent Associated Press Top 25 poll. In that same stretch, the SEC features just two teams—No. 1 Alabama and No. 10 Texas A&M—the same number both the Pac-12 and ACC tout.

"You can't argue it," Finebaum said of his claim that the Big Ten is the best conference in college football.

There are, of course, holes that can be poked in such a statement.

While the Big Ten's presence in the polls is apparent, its total of five teams in the Top 25—including No. 20 Nebraska—still trails the SEC, which features eight Top 25 squads. The ACC also maintains a steady presence with four teams, while the Pac-12 and Big 12 are each represented by three schools.

Therein lies the problem of comparing conferences: There's no clear-cut criteria for doing so. Whereas one league might be more top-heavy with national title contenders, another might be deeper from top to bottom, creating more of a gauntlet for its best programs to run through.

The Big Ten can claim the former, as you'd be hard-pressed to find another conference with more national title contenders. And while the Buckeyes, Wolverines, Spartans and Badgers will each play each other in round-robin fashion this season, the Big Ten has all but locked up a spot in the College Football Playoff for the third consecutive campaign.

"I would say that the champion of our league probably gets in the playoffs because of it," Michigan State head coach Mark Dantonio said in reference to the league's new nine-game conference schedule.

"I think it's gonna give us more credible conference scheduling and things of that nature. Whoever the champion is in the Big Ten conference, providing they not lose two games—possibly even two [losses] gets you in depending on everybody else...I do think they have an excellent chance of getting in."

hi-res-a9c3941507321523c3f8247f61c8aa2a_crop_exact.jpg
Jackson Laizure/Getty Images
The SEC and ACC appear on track for a guaranteed playoff spot, although their likely representatives are already limited to three teams apiece. The SEC's lone championship contender could be the winner of the Oct. 22 matchup between Alabama and Texas A&M, given the losses LSU and Ole Miss have already endured.

While Georgia, Florida and Tennessee each remain undefeated, none of the three has the look of a legitimate playoff contender, as evidenced by their collective failure to crack the Top 10.

In the ACC, both No. 3 Louisville and No. 5 Clemson have asserted themselves as bona fide championship contenders, and No. 15 Miami (Fla.) looms as a potential surprise. Without a conference championship game giving it the benefit of the doubt, the Big 12's last playoff hope already appears to be No. 16 Baylor, although at 2-1, No. 21 Texas could re-emerge in the playoff picture.

Meanwhile in the Big Ten, the winner of the East Division—be it Ohio State, Michigan or Michigan State—will likely have a playoff spot on the line in the conference championship game, as could the West Division representative, depending on how Wisconsin's and Nebraska's regular-season records fare.

Simply put, no other league in America still possesses as many realistic championship contenders three weeks into the season as the Big Ten.

"It's legit," Buckeyes head coach Urban Meyer said of the Big Ten East's strength. "I was shocked when I came here in 2012, the amount of disrespect for the Big Ten, nationally. Then you looked, and I don't want to say it was deserved, because that's harsh, but then you look at the draft picks, the recruiting cycles, you never saw Big Ten teams in the Top Five, the Top 10, and now you're seeing it."

hi-res-d12a0fe1aa5bb2d0c717fd8f09bc3cb7_crop_exact.jpg
Chris Graythen/Getty Images
As for the argument that a deeper league, such as the SEC, still deserves top billing, that's what makes the out-of-conference portion of the Big Ten's season so important. The league didn't just hold its own against the other Power Five conferences, it dominated them, proving that any success it finds the rest of the way is far from a fluke.

Like it or not, thanks to its strength at the top, the Big Ten looks like the best conference in America.

Even Paul Finebaum says so.

Ben Axelrod is Bleacher Report's Big Ten lead writer. You can follow him on Twitter @BenAxelrod.

Unless otherwise noted, all quotes were obtained firsthand. Recruiting and class ratings courtesy of 247Sports' composite ratings.

the Big Ten lays claim to a national-best 30-8 overall record, including an impressive 8-3 mark against fellow Power Five programs.

Comparatively, the SEC, ACC and Pac-12 each possess records of 5-5 against Power Five programs, while the Big 12 is just 3-6.
I'm too lazy to do the research but, to me anyway, this (literally) doesn't add up. The total records come to 26-24. Who won (twice) without someone losing?

I guess we should be like sec athletic supporters and start supporting all our b1g conference brethren and talk trash about our conference being the best. Tosu wins, so WE. ARE. BETTER. :eek: Go b1g!

:confused:

Some of the SEC's large number of ranked teams is a function of the pre-season polling bias. For example, 1-2 Ole Miss would not be ranked if they weren't considered a top 10 team before they played a down. Arkansas was lucky to beat La Tech, Tenn lucky to escape App st in OT. UF, Miami, and even Georgia have looked very weak at times against mediocre teams.

Not a surprise to me.

The problem is that, with memory, there is no middle ground in CFB.

You either have a memory that goes back only one or two years, or you have a memory that only goes back 2 or 3 or more decades.

The reality is that CFB is very fluid. It is what makes the game great.

Based on results, the Big Ten is the best conference so far this season.

But if we lined up 1st best vs 1st best, 2 vs 2, etc, with the SEC, I think the SEC would still win more than half.

1. Ohio State

2. Michigan State

3. Michigan

4. Wisconsin

5. Penn State

6. Nebraska

you just look at those teams right their. the bottom of the confrence is bad no doubt but is their a better top 6 in any other confrence in the country? heck no, in my opinion, good times for the big ten right now.

1. Ohio State

2. Michigan State

3. Michigan

4. Wisconsin

5. Penn State

6. Nebraska

you just look at those teams right their. the bottom of the confrence is bad no doubt but is their a better top 6 in any other confrence in the country? heck no, in my opinion, good times for the big ten right now.
You wish Penn State is 5. Nebraska is AP rated 20, Iowa is rated 30, and Maryland is rated 41. That makes Penn State 8th best in the Big Ten.

Last edited:
SEC fans are homers, but I will say that when I have talked to them, their knowledge of college football is unparalleled. They obviously know the SEC inside and out, but they know a ton about all P5, history, latest news, etc...They will argue with you about how great the SEC is, but when you start throwing facts at them and 'win' the argument, they will typically agree with you if you have a good point. I have no issue with SEC fans.

From an Alabama/SEC fanboy analyst

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial
===============================
In 2014, Paul Finebaum authored a book titled My Conference Can Beat Your Conference: Why the SEC Still Rules College Football.

Two years later, it's looking like it might be time for a follow-up.

Or a retraction.

Says who?

Finebaum, himself.

"Right now, repeat after me, read my lips: The Big Ten is the best conference in college football," Finebaum said during a Monday appearance on ESPN's College Football Live.

Understand that Finebaum's making such a statement carries a certain level of gravitas in the college football world.

An observer of the SEC since his time as an Alabama football columnist in the early 1980s, Finebaum has become synonymous with the conference. One of the central figureheads on ESPN's SEC Network, Finebaum has been hesitant to praise the Big Ten in the past—at least with the same enthusiasm he exudes while touting his home turf.

"I think you know where I live and what waters I swim in," Finebaum said moments prior to making his pro-Big Ten proclamation.

But sometimes, as Finebaum conceded, facts are too much to overcome.

hi-res-64f0d9c8080e72f265ba0872019e561c_crop_exact.jpg
Lance King/Getty Images
One-fourth of the way through the 2016 regular season, no league has found as much success as the Big Ten. Entering the start of conference play, the Big Ten lays claim to a national-best 30-8 overall record, including an impressive 8-3 mark against fellow Power Five programs.

Comparatively, the SEC, ACC and Pac-12 each possess records of 5-5 against Power Five programs, while the Big 12 is just 3-6. Counting just FBS opponents, the Big Ten's .800 winning percentage also stands as the country's best, topping the SEC's .708 mark.

As a result, four Big Ten teams—No. 2 Ohio State, No. 4 Michigan, No. 8 Michigan State and No. 11 Wisconsin—make up the first 11 programs listed in the most recent Associated Press Top 25 poll. In that same stretch, the SEC features just two teams—No. 1 Alabama and No. 10 Texas A&M—the same number both the Pac-12 and ACC tout.

"You can't argue it," Finebaum said of his claim that the Big Ten is the best conference in college football.

There are, of course, holes that can be poked in such a statement.

While the Big Ten's presence in the polls is apparent, its total of five teams in the Top 25—including No. 20 Nebraska—still trails the SEC, which features eight Top 25 squads. The ACC also maintains a steady presence with four teams, while the Pac-12 and Big 12 are each represented by three schools.

Therein lies the problem of comparing conferences: There's no clear-cut criteria for doing so. Whereas one league might be more top-heavy with national title contenders, another might be deeper from top to bottom, creating more of a gauntlet for its best programs to run through.

The Big Ten can claim the former, as you'd be hard-pressed to find another conference with more national title contenders. And while the Buckeyes, Wolverines, Spartans and Badgers will each play each other in round-robin fashion this season, the Big Ten has all but locked up a spot in the College Football Playoff for the third consecutive campaign.

"I would say that the champion of our league probably gets in the playoffs because of it," Michigan State head coach Mark Dantonio said in reference to the league's new nine-game conference schedule.

"I think it's gonna give us more credible conference scheduling and things of that nature. Whoever the champion is in the Big Ten conference, providing they not lose two games—possibly even two [losses] gets you in depending on everybody else...I do think they have an excellent chance of getting in."

hi-res-a9c3941507321523c3f8247f61c8aa2a_crop_exact.jpg
Jackson Laizure/Getty Images
The SEC and ACC appear on track for a guaranteed playoff spot, although their likely representatives are already limited to three teams apiece. The SEC's lone championship contender could be the winner of the Oct. 22 matchup between Alabama and Texas A&M, given the losses LSU and Ole Miss have already endured.

While Georgia, Florida and Tennessee each remain undefeated, none of the three has the look of a legitimate playoff contender, as evidenced by their collective failure to crack the Top 10.

In the ACC, both No. 3 Louisville and No. 5 Clemson have asserted themselves as bona fide championship contenders, and No. 15 Miami (Fla.) looms as a potential surprise. Without a conference championship game giving it the benefit of the doubt, the Big 12's last playoff hope already appears to be No. 16 Baylor, although at 2-1, No. 21 Texas could re-emerge in the playoff picture.

Meanwhile in the Big Ten, the winner of the East Division—be it Ohio State, Michigan or Michigan State—will likely have a playoff spot on the line in the conference championship game, as could the West Division representative, depending on how Wisconsin's and Nebraska's regular-season records fare.

Simply put, no other league in America still possesses as many realistic championship contenders three weeks into the season as the Big Ten.

"It's legit," Buckeyes head coach Urban Meyer said of the Big Ten East's strength. "I was shocked when I came here in 2012, the amount of disrespect for the Big Ten, nationally. Then you looked, and I don't want to say it was deserved, because that's harsh, but then you look at the draft picks, the recruiting cycles, you never saw Big Ten teams in the Top Five, the Top 10, and now you're seeing it."

hi-res-d12a0fe1aa5bb2d0c717fd8f09bc3cb7_crop_exact.jpg
Chris Graythen/Getty Images
As for the argument that a deeper league, such as the SEC, still deserves top billing, that's what makes the out-of-conference portion of the Big Ten's season so important. The league didn't just hold its own against the other Power Five conferences, it dominated them, proving that any success it finds the rest of the way is far from a fluke.

Like it or not, thanks to its strength at the top, the Big Ten looks like the best conference in America.

Even Paul Finebaum says so.

Ben Axelrod is Bleacher Report's Big Ten lead writer. You can follow him on Twitter @BenAxelrod.

Unless otherwise noted, all quotes were obtained firsthand. Recruiting and class ratings courtesy of 247Sports' composite ratings.
Don't put me in that category. I was pretty certain the B1G would get back to the head of the class. These things run in cycles.

You wish Penn State is 5. Nebraska is AP rated 20, Iowa is rated 30, and Maryland is rated 41. That makes Penn State 8th best in the Big Ten.
Yeah, we'll go by the rankings which are as meaningful as dog crap about now. What's Rutgers then? One of the worst teams in all the FBS.

Yeah, we'll go by the rankings which are as meaningful as dog crap about now. What's Rutgers then? One of the worst teams in all the FBS.
We have the same record as Pen State. Rutgers use to beat up on Pittsburgh in the BiG East.

Oh, so I guess now we should give a sh!t what Finebaum says since he said something pro BIG?

We have the same record as Pen State. Rutgers use to beat up on Pittsburgh in the BiG East.
rutgersdave, there is not a single board in all of college football where a Rutgers fan can go and legitimately talk smack. Not one. Historically, Rutgers has the worst "big time" football program in the country. Your lack of accomplishments has been discussed here many times. Not much point in embarrassing Rutgers yet again.

Reactions: Nashville Lion
The top 2/3 of B1G East looks pretty good. The rest of the conference doesn't have much to brag about -- outside of Wisconsin's nice win over Louisiana State. Two losses to FCS teams (Iowa, Northwestern), two losses to MAC teams (Northwestern, Illinois), a curb-stomping by a decent AAC team (Purdue) and an overtime win against a bad AAC team (Maryland). Ugh.

I guess we should be like sec athletic supporters [...] Tosu wins, so WE. ARE. BETTER.

The "conference/regional pride" thing probably isn't that useful unless you're still butthurt over losing the Civil War.

On the other hand, it's better to be viewed as playing good teams (win or lose) than bad ones, and 3/4 of your games are played against fellow conference members. Maybe it's not necessary to praise them, but I never understood the common fan behavior of bashing one's opponents. Yeah, great, you won... but you won over a team that you say sucks, so it's not much of an accomplishment, is it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nitt1300
Talk to me when you're 4 - 8 this season, you're very likely record at best.
Don't disagree with it but we expect something in 2 years just like most of your fans. I see most Penn State fans aren't willing to make a judgement on Franklin until 2018.

He isn't wrong here. We lost to pitt for chrissakes, and all those teams are higher than us, rightfully so. We'll have a chance to move up though with playing most of them, while teams in the big ten west just cruise to the big ten title game because they are all weak.

He isn't wrong here. We lost to pitt for chrissakes, and all those teams are higher than us, rightfully so. We'll have a chance to move up though with playing most of them, while teams in the big ten west just cruise to the big ten title game because they are all weak.

No. He's wrong. Penn State is still recovering from the effects of the NCAA putting the program in the ICU. Rutgers is suffering from being Rutgers. 2018 for Rutgers will look a lot like, well, every other year for Rutgers. SO will 2020, 2025, and 2050.

Don't put me in that category. I was pretty certain the B1G would get back to the head of the class. These things run in cycles.

I'm with you Howie. The Topic was referring to the talking heads in the media.

I have no idea why a Rutgers fan would be posting here...that is the first point. The second point would be...why would Rutgers talk smack to anyone....including us. That is my problem with several fanbases....talking junk for no reason. This is a PSU board so if we want to talk junk, fine...but to see these other fans come over here is just ridiculous. As Deon Butler once said...."they don't have the tradition to hold our nuts."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT