ADVERTISEMENT

Things not to say at work....

I don’t have the specific verbiage that was said. But about 5 years ago my corporation very proudly announced the hiring of a new corporate VP of Human Resources. The annual sales meeting or some other big deal meeting was scheduled for a week after this guy started. Apparently, as the rumor goes, he must have had too much to drink and propositioned some company woman at a cocktail mixer. This is the person who is supposed to lead the charge and ensure that the organization doesn’t do crap like that.

Yeah hate when people in leadership don't exemplify the standards they are supposed to impart on others.

Board listen to this one. At the end of a work day I was walking out the long corridor and removing my utility belt that I carry my gear on. At about this time a girl by the name Suzie came walking by quickly saying "hi Ted" and I said "Hi Suzie" and I flipped my belt at her to acknowledge her hitting her on the Butt. Believe me there wasn't much room for error. She turned me in for sexual Harassment. This is the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth. The PC environment.

Sorry, but I would be offending you and your wife.
Out of respect I refer to most everyone as "sir" and "ma'am". Nurse asking the many questions at an appointment is in her 40's and I'm 56. Answers are, yes, ma'am or, no, ma'am. Men the same way.
Not offending these individuals, just respect in my opinion.

OL
Uh...yea.....it was meant to be sarcastic.

I'm 61. When I was little we would always take the bus up to Steelton to go to the dentist. On the bus in Harrisburg my mom always made sure I gave up my seat if there was a lady who was standing. All mom would need to do was give me the look (Song remains the same, you know the look I mean) and I would jump. Fast forward to 15 years ago, the family took a trip to Williamsburg, VA. At Williamsburg they have buses that take you back and forth to the visitor's center where all the cars are parked. We are on the bus at the end of the day and the bus starts getting crowded. I notice a woman standing next to me and I feels mom's look (even though she is not there). I immediately get up to offer the woman my seat. My ex looks at me and says "What are you doing?" at the same time the woman says "Why are you doing that?" I kind of mumbled something about mom wouldn't let me sit while someone else is standing. She took the seat but both my ex and the other woman just watched me suspiciously the rest of the ride back to the visitor's center. Longest bus ride ever.
I was coming home from a long and tiring business trip back when I was in my early 30’s. There was some shuttle bus from the gate to the main terminal and the bus was pretty full. I saw thing young mother come onto the bus with two kids, a baby car seat and a suitcase. Without hesitation, I got up and offered this woman my seat and the guy next to me did the same. This young woman seemed sincerely grateful and took the seats for her and her kids. I think about that moment every once in a while and how good I felt after making that gesture and it motivates me to do more nice things for people. I’m glad that your mom taught you well... I hope you keep giving up your seat.

Speaking of giving up your seat made me think of this old joke:

After World War II, an American soldier was going back to London from the front. He was on a very crowded train, and was looking for a seat, but the only empty one was next to an older lady, and she had her pet poodle on it. He said, “Please, madam, I'm very tired. May I please sit here?” The lady replied, “No. My precious little poodle, Miss Fluffy, is sitting here.”

The soldier walked the length of the train again with no luck, so he went back to the same seat next to the same woman and said, “Please, Madam, I have been fighting at the front for months, my feet hurt and I'm very tired. May I please sit here?” The woman told him, “I cannot believe how rude you are! I have already told you that my darling little Miss Fluffy is sitting here.” At that, the American lost his temper, picked up the poodle and threw it out the window.

An elderly man who was sitting across the compartment looked at the American soldier and said, “You Americans do everything wrong. You drive on the wrong side of the road, you eat with the wrong hand and now you've thrown the wrong bitch out of the window!”

An elderly good old boy at a company I worked at years ago had all kinds of one liners and crude comments. One of the funniest that I can recall was when he was referring to a woman who was believed to have had more than her share of lovers... he said that “if she had as many on her as she had in her, she’d look like a porcupine”

Reactions: PoquosonLion
An elderly good old boy at a company I worked at years ago had all kinds of one liners and crude comments. One of the funniest that I can recall was when he was referring to a woman who was believed to have had more than her share of lovers... he said that “if she had as many on her as she had in her, she’d look like a porcupine”
Never heard that one, but did hear the one about the difference between a porcupine and a BMW.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
At two different companies I heard the exact same comment, from two completely unrelated middle aged men, both times of which were reported to HR by the young lady.

“I see you’re wearing your “f*** me” shoes today.”

While I can’t imagine having said anything off color (I’ve always been petrified of the allegation of harassment), I do think people take that stuff way too seriously. I can’t really imagine being offended by someone else’s comment.

Yeah, unfortunately it's time to say goodbye to Charlie. That simply can't be tolerated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT