ADVERTISEMENT

Things not to say at work....

---
What the hey was a ten ton concrete platform doing in the roof? Old air handler base?
The emergency gen unit is proposed on the roof platform. The owners of the building believe that the existing concrete platform hanging from the roof supports housed a boiler and other antique equipment used to heat the gymnasium. It was an expensive proposition to remove and stabilize the concrete encased beams and trusses. I certainly did not want remnants from spalled concrete falling onto children in the gym.

not if the pinch is be very subtle, and pressure applied gently so as not to leave a mark or bruise. I suggest you try this at home before venturing out into the public.

Should we practice on ourselves or a partner?

The emergency gen unit is proposed on the roof platform. The owners of the building believe that the existing concrete platform hanging from the roof supports housed a boiler and other antique equipment used to heat the gymnasium. It was an expensive proposition to remove and stabilize the concrete encased beams and trusses. I certainly did not want remnants from spalled concrete falling onto children in the gym.
I didn't realize the trusses were encased. I thought your pic was spray-applied fireproofing - guaranteed to be 100% asbestos. Oy vey.

Reactions: step.eng69
so....work with an older engineer named Charlie. He is 78 years old, and has been around for a long time - a bit of a curmudgeon, and definitely not interested in keeping up with societal norms. He only works a couple of days per week, so he does not really interface much with the younger staff. He is also a bit of a rascal.

Yesterday, we had a small get together for a young lady who had announced her pregnancy. When he found out she was pregnant, Charlie, in his usual rascally self said "So, you got bit by the trouser snake, huh? Guess he hissed at you pretty good."

It got very quiet in the break room.

Charlie usually works on Fridays, but today, he is nowhere to be seen. Management said that he is taking an "extended time off" for the next couple of weeks.

Ouch.
OMG. I just nearly choked on my lunch. Hilarious. That is right out of an episode of the Office. I can't help but picture Charlie like this...
220px-CreedBratton%28TheOffice%29.jpg

I’m good until they call me “Sir”... then I’m offended. And my wife hates being called “Ma’am”. Do we look THAT old?!?!

Got a buddy that went to Wisconsin. We were out at some college bars one night. The kids were calling me "sir". I was 30 at the time.

I didn't realize the trusses were encased. I thought your pic was spray-applied fireproofing - guaranteed to be 100% asbestos. Oy vey.
the concrete encasement was cut and carefully jackhammered from the existing steel in the area of the concrete platform.

Once the contractor removed a side of the enclosed platform remnants of piping and duct were visible.

Have to leave from home now, Fox. Have a nice weekend.

DSCN6370.jpg

DSCN6373.jpg

DSCN6374.jpg

I totally agree...100%....but I have to say the "old" and "men" comment is off base. I am close to a guy that made a lot of money suing a company for just those very same comments. In fact, the judge came unglued when he became aware of several co-workers doing "it's go time"/Madelbaum imitations of him. Age is a federally protected minority (ADEA) and trumps state right to work laws. Age discrimination is a real thing and, as a lawyer, you should know better.

E3kQ9fP.jpg say
There is a difference between what I can legally say to my subordinates or coworkers on the job, and what I can say here. They ARE old men, as is Ro's coworker.

As a nonlawyer, YOU should know better.:rolleyes:

Got a buddy that went to Wisconsin. We were out at some college bars one night. The kids were calling me "sir". I was 30 at the time.

Sir is an interesting one. If I see someone drop something and I am trying to get their attention, they will be "sir" even if they look 18. I would have trouble unlearning that, I don't look at it as an age thing. But I don't tack it onto a phrase if I have their attention. It would just be "thank you", never "thank you, sir".

Sir is an interesting one. If I see someone drop something and I am trying to get their attention, they will be "sir" even if they look 18. I would have trouble unlearning that, I don't look at it as an age thing. But I don't tack it onto a phrase if I have their attention. It would just be "thank you", never "thank you, sir".
Yo bitch! Gets people's attention.

Reactions: nits74 and Gnat91
What if I don't have any sacred cows? Nothing offends me (except perhaps people who choose to be ignorant).

And while I agree that we should avoid offending individuals, just because one individual is offended doesn't mean everyone is (e.g. if you don't like seeing a phallus on Michelangelo's David that doesn't mean it gets banned).
Lol. Everybody's got sacred cows. If I knew you even a little i could find a way to offend you. I heard all kinds of criticism of political correctness out of the same people who are offended by flag manners breaches. I heard wife beaters and white supremacists defended as "very fine people."

Here' one that offends the anti-pc crowd: "Combats vets are often unstable. Not sure i would hire one." That one is not my belief at all, but you can see how it would offend the typical anti PC folks.

In any event, it would be easy to offend almost anyone.

Reactions: psuro and Cosmos
so....work with an older engineer named Charlie. He is 78 years old, and has been around for a long time - a bit of a curmudgeon, and definitely not interested in keeping up with societal norms. He only works a couple of days per week, so he does not really interface much with the younger staff. He is also a bit of a rascal.

Yesterday, we had a small get together for a young lady who had announced her pregnancy. When he found out she was pregnant, Charlie, in his usual rascally self said "So, you got bit by the trouser snake, huh? Guess he hissed at you pretty good."

Charlie usually works on Fridays, but today, he is nowhere to be seen. Management said that he is taking an "extended time off" for the next couple of weeks.

Ouch.
It sounds like Charlie is the one that got bit in the end. In the past that comment would have meant little more than a joke. Today it is an issue.

When I took my first job out of college in 1980, I worked for Mobil Oil Co. in Los Angeles. We had a crusty old dude named Bill in our department who continually offered unvarnished opinions. He frequently told me "LB, you're greener than goose shit."

We were at a departmental retreat in Palm Springs, and it was cocktail hour, so a lot of my co-workers were standing out in the hotel pool area having drinks. One of the women in our department, named Sheila, was in the swimming pool. Sheila had a pronounced case of adult acne. I came out from my hotel room attired in swim trunks and intending to take a dip. Bill had had a few Manhattans in, and was on a roll. He says "LB, you're not getting in that pool are you? Sheila's in there!"

Bill then looks over at our co-worker, Dave, who was wearing a gold chain around his neck as a lot of guys did back then. Bill says "Hey Dave, nice chain. You know, only [members of ethnic group I am not naming] wear those." A slightly deflated Dave slunk off, and no one in the department ever wore a gold chain again.

Reactions: Cosmos
I try to offend people indiscremenately. Oh, and usually reply, " you are using the term sir very loosely, you realize that don't you?

Sorry, but I would be offending you and your wife.
Out of respect I refer to most everyone as "sir" and "ma'am". Nurse asking the many questions at an appointment is in her 40's and I'm 56. Answers are, yes, ma'am or, no, ma'am. Men the same way.
Not offending these individuals, just respect in my opinion.

OL
I'm much the same way--parental training I guess.

But, I will admit, even though I'm almost 62, I still look around for my dad when someone calls me Mr. Gilbert. And he's been gone 7 years now.

I worked for a small software company owned by a great guy who was Chinese. He flew in to meet with the senior management team of one of our largest clients when we were having tough time with our product....we were concerned we were going to get thrown out and the CIO was our greatest advocate.

So we are sitting in the board room with the CEO, CFO, COO, CRO, etc....about ten people from our client's company. After ten minutes late, the CIO, our advocate, barges in and says, with a big smile on his face "OK, so what is so GDed important that you have to fly the chink in?"

There was an audible gasp. that was followed by nervous laughter and then a very teamwork-like meeting to address the issues and get stuff done. After everyone leaves and it is just us and the CIO, he says "you guys wanna get lunch? do you like Chinese food?"

Later, my CEO says "you know, the CIO really took care of us. he knew were were going to get beat up and after he called me a chink, what were they going to do? They had no choice but to have a creative meeting and give us time to fix our problems".

I'll never forget that as long as I live.

Great story. I love this message string.

Reactions: jrs1024
I rarely listen any longer, but 2-5 years ago on the Philly WIP/WYSP morning show, the male hosts were always making jokes and innuendo with Rhea Hughes. Nobody seemed to care, including Rhea.

Come to think of it, their entire Wing Bowl Side Show is about getting busty women in bikinis out there for ogling. Nobody seems to care there either. The interview process is/was always innuendo and similarly comments.

rhea_hughes.jpg

I’m good until they call me “Sir”... then I’m offended. And my wife hates being called “Ma’am”. Do we look THAT old?!?!
I'm gonna hazard a guess that she'd prefer it to "canyon cvnt." Props for your post, OleLion.

Ouch.

So back in the day we worked in cubicles and there was this old guy named Bob. Huge guy. Stood 6'6". Nobody messed with him. At the time you could smoke in your cube but be forewarned, Bob didn't like it. If you lit up then you could expect to get sprayed over the wall with a squirt gun.

There was this young lady in her 20s from Georgia. Her name escapes me. Good person but one time when referring to her co-worker Debbie (and it was right in front of her) she says, "Debbie is a good black." You could hear a pin drop.

So we're out at happy hour after a hard days work. Mixed company, both men and women. Barbara wants to dance. She asks Gary. Gary says, "No, I'm not drunk enough." What he meant was he had to be drunk to get up and dance but she took it differently. She was a good looker, too.

"Society has gotten oversensitive." Um, no. what has happened is that people refuse to take the sort of abusive crap they used to take from (mostly) old (mostly) men.

What any of us thinks is sacred is capable of being mocked, as well. Everyone forgets that. What you might think is political correctness is simple respectfulness for the sacred cows of others. Nobody whines like an "anti-PC" person whose own sacred cows are being gutted.
Would a Hindu consider "sacred cow" a slur?

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
"Society has gotten oversensitive." Um, no. what has happened is that people refuse to take the sort of abusive crap they used to take from (mostly) old (mostly) men.

What any of us thinks is sacred is capable of being mocked, as well. Everyone forgets that. What you might think is political correctness is simple respectfulness for the sacred cows of others. Nobody whines like an "anti-PC" person whose own sacred cows are being gutted.

I had a female walk up to me and cringe and squat I said what's wrong... she goes my tampon is to far in. I didn't go to HR. I told he to take her bloody bitching somewhere else.

Ouch.
Does the girl who “lost her cherry” still work there? It seems as if a lot of “stuff” happens in your break room.

Last edited:
More a story than a just what was spoken.
A large number of us were at a company happy hour and afterwards a few of us went out for some food afterwards.

The one guy comes in late and says I walked Jess to her car, to make sure she was okay and she grabbed my butt as she got to her car.
The one girl out to eat with us chimes in, "that is nothing she kept grabbing my boob at the happy hour"

Everyone just shrugged it off and realized they should not have let her drive home. But no one ever mentioned it afterwards.

Imagine if it was a guy behaving the same way....

More a story than a just what was spoken.
A large number of us were at a company happy hour and afterwards a few of us went out for some food afterwards.

The one guy comes in late and says I walked Jess to her car, to make sure she was okay and she grabbed my butt as she got to her car.
The one girl out to eat with us chimes in, "that is nothing she kept grabbing my boob at the happy hour"

Everyone just shrugged it off and realized they should not have let her drive home. But no one ever mentioned it afterwards.

Imagine if it was a guy behaving the same way....
SomewHere a lesbian is wishing she was "Jessie's girl"

Reactions: Limestone_Lion
I also use Ma'am and Sir when I speak to someone as a sign of respect, and also because if I did not I would have to duck to avoid my Father's hand swatting me on the back of my head. I recall giving him ample opportunity to teach me that lesson before he died in 1976.

ADVERTISEMENT