ADVERTISEMENT

They should change the name of BTN to OSUN!

JFN
Goodness, I know Fields is having a very good start, but each and every show seems to start with him, and include the suckeyes again throughout the show.

OL
They will be pushing Fields for the Heisman from here on out real hard on Espn and Btn and say UM can win out and make the playoff and the two pied pipers will be Urby and Herby.

I get it with OSU due to their success. What I don't get is the love fest with UM. Their success ties into the leather helmet days. Hell they might have been Pitt's arch rival in leather

Reactions: dailybuck777
Probably due to big fan base and many alums. Figure it’s good for ratings.
Yes.

And whether we like it or not, OSU v Michigan is a big deal and they’re the big names of the B1G. Sure, history plays a huge role. But of course the B1Gn will focus on them whenever opportunity presents, which is frequent. It’s not neutral sports news. It’s focussed entertainment and hype.

Outside of a few blips, OSU has been the gold standard for B1G football for the lifetimes of most young sports fans—their target audience. And they just keep reloading excellent QBs.

Fields is a big deal. And he in particular strikes a cord with us for obvious reasons. We want him generating hype for PSU and are taking the backseat again. Sucks but let’s not be surprised by any of this. If we start owning those two teams as we never have, all that hype will benefit PSU.

Reactions: YorkLion
IIRC when BTN started out many of the executives were OSU and UM alum. Currently it seems odd that a network would have a host who is also a current employee of OSU (Urban Meyer). Granted it's a sports network but you'd think concerns over bias would still be a consideration.

It would be interesting to see an analysis that shows households with the BTN and how the BT university allegiance breaks down.

If I had to guess, I would imagine the ratings tend to be highest for OSU and UM content. Eyeballs and advertisers tend to go together.
For that reason, I would venture to say that PSU probably gets the third most exposure on that network. Any by the way, I watch BTN quite a lot and think that it does a good job. I especially like how they show hockey games on most Friday and a lot of Saturday nights in the winter, which often feature PSU.

Last edited:
For that reason, I would venture to say that PSU probably gets the third most exposure on that network. Any by the way, I watch BTN quite a lot and think that it does a good job. I especially like how they show hokey games on most Friday and a lot of Saturday nights in the winter, which often feature PSU.
I think MSU gets the third most exposure.

Even if we did, it would still be their channel.
Maybe. But just think of the exposure we'd get as victors while they're showcasing their big games.

As an aside, if you can hire Urban Meyer do to anything (except maybe serve as a model of virtue), do it. The man is smart, meticulous, charismatic and wouldn't run it on 4th and 5 on a shaky running night with the game hanging in the balance. I'm glad he's not coaching our team and I hope he doesn't coach again. If he does, he'll win again.

Reactions: paws1957
Maybe. But just think of the exposure we'd get as victors while they're showcasing their big games.

As an aside, if you can hire Urban Meyer do to anything (except maybe serve as a model of virtue), do it. The man is smart, meticulous, charismatic and wouldn't run it on 4th and 5 on a shaky running night with the game hanging in the balance. I'm glad he's not coaching our team and I hope he doesn't coach again. If he does, he'll win again.
He’s made his share of questionable coaching decisions as well.

Yes.

And whether we like it or not, OSU v Michigan is a big deal and they’re the big names of the B1G. Sure, history plays a huge role. But of course the B1Gn will focus on them whenever opportunity presents, which is frequent. It’s not neutral sports news. It’s focussed entertainment and hype.

Outside of a few blips, OSU has been the gold standard for B1G football for the lifetimes of most young sports fans—their target audience. And they just keep reloading excellent QBs.

Fields is a big deal. And he in particular strikes a cord with us for obvious reasons. We want him generating hype for PSU and are taking the backseat again. Sucks but let’s not be surprised by any of this. If we start owning those two teams as we never have, all that hype will benefit PSU.
You got that right! Start consistently winning the games and what do you know, PSU gets noticed...reluctantly, but noticed.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
You got that right! Start consistently winning the games and what do you know, PSU gets noticed...reluctantly, but noticed.
Heck, keep airing the darlings. All will tune in and watch PSU kick butt. Sorta like they did tonight!!!

Yes.

Well said

While showing passing stats tonight (apparently ranked by total yards) Sean Clifford was nowhere to be found even though he has the second most passing yards in the conference. I guess it is true that you're only paranoid if they aren't really after you. They have Lewerke first with 1543 yards and Fields second with 1298. Clifford has 1443.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT