ADVERTISEMENT

There’s a chance

I know this sounds crazy, but it seems like the Nevills' family bond with PSU Wrestling goes beyond whether or not they're in the starting lineup.

Between AJ transferring, Nick being supplanted in the lineup, and Seth having another high-level recruit brought in for competition, that family has plenty of reason (speaking only from the outside) to at least end the association with the school/program, if not hold a grudge. However, there is no indication that is the case.

Not how Gavin Hoffman's Papa would have handled it ;)

Reactions: Sullivan
According to HR this does not happen.
It doesn't surprise me that they don't get it. We had kid #3 (of 5) that wanted to find her own "PSU". She was set on another Big 10 school and toured some other Big 10 schools and none had the energy of Penn State. She was set on IU until she visited. 5 minutes into the pre-tour speech, I texted my wife who was sitting on the other side of her "she is not going here. I can tell by her body language." Halfway through the tour the news of the NCAA re-instating the football teams wins hit her Twitter and she said, "hey, we got our wins back!". So we peeled off and hit the road back to PA.
So yes, it is possible. I bet most on HR that say that isn't possible are wrestling fans from Iowa and not Iowa alums.

One thing I'm seeing (because of course) is Cael wasted a year of Seth's eligibility to "save a few duals" I even said before that this waiver doesn't seem like Cael's MO (he would have wrestled one of Jarod/Brady against tOSO in 2018) then. Obviously there's smoke to this Kerkvliet waiver.

That being said, do people ever consider that maybe Cael talked to Seth and said he would like to wrestle him as if he were the starter but fully disclosed if Kerkvliet becomes eligible that there will be a wrestleoff and Seth said I'm in, wrestle me? If Kerk does get eligible, I REALLY doubt it'll take Seth by surprise.
Way too much consternation. There are only 10 spots available at perhaps the greatest wrestling dynasty in the sports history and certainly the greatest dynasty in the MODERN history of the sport(2000 to 2020 present). Every kid who comes here is fully aware of this and just fine with this. If Kerk goes, Seth is just fine.

I suspect there's a fair number who think this is best for the team and are excited to see Kerk wrestle while simultaneously feeling bad for Seth.
That would be the best way to think about it. No more thought needs to go in to that though because I will bet any money that Seth will be supportive of kerk 100 percent.

Seems odd, I agree. I do believe he is better than Nevills but it is a tough position to put both young men in. He likely will be seeded at 14 and wrestle Cassioppi in the first round at Big Ten's. Since the Big Ten's will likely qualify 7 for Nationals he may need to wrestle back through consolations, or serve notice right away that the National Championship is still going through Penn State.

small point here, but won’t Cassioppi be 3rd seed, and won’t Kerk face the 1st seed in round 1 if he’s 14th? That would mean Stevenson or Parris.

I believe they only rank to 14 if the given weight has 8 or more allocations for NCAAs, no? So it may depend on how many the Big Ten gets (which is announced tomorrow I believe).

And Flo read about it the day before on BWI or HR.

This is what they wrote on Flo: "That would seem to solidify the Nittany Lions lineup; however, there has been speculation that Greg Kerkvliet could get the nod at heavyweight."

They're not reporting that Kerkvliet could get the job. They're reporting that people are chattering about the possibility. Definitely not the same thing.

FLO wrote about the "Possibility" that Kerk may go at BIG 10s the day before it appeared on BWI. I mentioned that I read about that "Possibility"....the word I used......a day earlier. My implication was that perhaps Mineo changed the word possibly to definitely and claimed the "Breaking News" Sorry I wasn't more clear.

FLO wrote about the "Possibility" that Kerk may go at BIG 10s the day before it appeared on BWI. I mentioned that I read about that "Possibility"....the word I used......a day earlier. My implication was that perhaps Mineo changed the word possibly to definitely and claimed the "Breaking News" Sorry I wasn't more clear.
I noticed someone also posted it on the facebook group "The Scramble" 3 weeks ago on Feb. 2.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT