ADVERTISEMENT

There’s a chance

Greg K could be the post season heavyweight. Waiver was submitted to NCAA by psu. Coach on another program told me he thinks there’s a 75% chance it’s approved. Should know very soon
There is a similar precedent right. Suriano wasn't a freshman when he went to Rutgers and got granted immediate eligibility but that's about the only difference. Is it safe to assume your buddy who told you about Suriano also told you about Kerk?

I hope not. Otherwise, I just dont see the benefit of burning another shirt this late in the season. It pains me to say it because I'm a big time Nevills family fan, but Kerk has more upside in future years. But I dont see the upside this season.

Kerveliet beat Nick Nevills and barely lost to Tony Nelson 3-2 at Senior Nationals. He beat Jordan Wood to make the U23 team and then finished fifth at U23's after losing a bronze medal match on criteria. He's won multiple age level world medals. I think it's pretty clear he has upside right now.

Last edited:
I hope not. Otherwise, I just dont see the benefit of burning another shirt this late in the season. It pains me to say it because I'm a big time Nevills family fan, but Kerk has more upside in future years. But I dont see the upside this season.
Really, did you see what Kerk did too nevils the elder. If this happens look for beard shirt to get burned.also berge looks like a go if this the plan or it could be all BS.

Reactions: Flying_Tiger
Greg K could be the post season heavyweight. Waiver was submitted to NCAA by psu. Coach on another program told me he thinks there’s a 75% chance it’s approved. Should know very soon
What waiver was needed?

Really, did you see what Kerk did too nevils the elder. If this happens look for beard shirt to get burned.also berge looks like a go if this the plan or it could be all BS.

Agree, this only makes sense if Beard is also pulled and Berge stays in the lineup otherwise I don't think Kerk's points will make enough difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: GogglesPaizano
Let Nevilles play out the season. Save Kerk’s shirt. Next season rinse, wash, repeat and see who represents for the Nits. If Kirk wins, anyone else at heavy can always evaluate the portal.

All on lions247. Same info posted last time
About credits from first semester. OSU did grant waiver. Now with NCAA.

Let Nevilles play out the season. Save Kerk’s shirt. Next season rinse, wash, repeat and see who represents for the Nits. If Kirk wins, anyone else at heavy can always evaluate the portal.
An insider on 247 posted that Kerk plans on wrestling 4 years in college and then concentrate on the 2024 Olympics, this year is one of those 4 years. If true, and Kerk is eligible, you have to put him in the lineup.

If the staff is looking for a way to get Kerk eligible for this year's post season I have to think Seth was hurt last Saturday.
Not necessarily. If you go with the paper rankings, Iowa has about a 25 point lead on PSU for NCAA projections. Put Kerk in the lineup and say he finishes 3rd, that is 13.5 points, cuts the difference in half. Get an unexpected positive performance from PSU or someone stumbles for Iowa and the team race is very tight. Huge pressure on Iowa to win it this year, get that margin close, that pressure could come into pay, especially with their already very tight coaching staff and guy at 133.

An insider on 247 posted that Kerk plans on wrestling 4 years in college and then concentrate on the 2024 Olympics, this year is one of those 4 years. If true, and Kerk is eligible, you have to put him in the lineup.
Is he an insider? I read (and posted in) the thread but didn't know if he had legit info or was just hoping...

Not necessarily. If you go with the paper rankings, Iowa has about a 25 point lead on PSU for NCAA projections. Put Kerk in the lineup and say he finishes 3rd, that is 13.5 points, cuts the difference in half. Get an unexpected positive performance from PSU or someone stumbles for Iowa and the team race is very tight. Huge pressure on Iowa to win it this year, get that margin close, that pressure could come into pay, especially with their already very tight coaching staff and guy at 133.
The pressure is definitely on Iowa to win, especially this year. However, wasting an eligibility year on both guys seems odd. The only two ways I can see the staff doing so is if either Seth was injured or they are unsatisfied with Seth's progression.

Reactions: Fatmarc

What paper rankings are you looking at? Current Intermat rankings have Iowa 51.5 points ahead of us.

Reactions: Flying_Tiger
Honestly - I think Kerk has mentioned he wants to wrestle this year. Some people might call this a "hail mary" move but team race and plans aside, we have to consider, not every kid wants to be in college forever. Very possible he wants to be out of school and at a Training Center in 2023 so he'd forfeit any remaining eligibility anyways. People can joke about his decommitments and transfers but Kerk is clearly is more focused on what is best for his career (wrestling) rather than where he is going to school per se.

If this were to happen we'd see a Kerkvliet vs. Cassioppi match first round of the B1G tournament.
Possible but not so sure about this. Kerk would be 0-0 B10, 5-0 overall with a win over Pelusi, who isn't great but looks like a possible NQ.

Maryland's HWT is 1-21 with the win over a VMI backup.

NW's HWT is 1-13 with the win over, you guessed it, Maryland.

Indiana's HWT is 10-14 with one B10 win, over NW.

the other factor to Kerk in the lineup is that it drops Cass down a few points when/if Kerk places higher. The 13.5 you gain doesn’t include the 2 or so Iowa loses....

Honestly - I think Kerk has mentioned he wants to wrestle this year. Some people might call this a "hail mary" move but team race and plans aside, we have to consider, not every kid wants to be in college forever. Very possible he wants to be out of school and at a Training Center in 2023 so he'd forfeit any remaining eligibility anyways. People can joke about his decommitments and transfers but Kerk is clearly is more focused on what is best for his career (wrestling) rather than where he is going to school per se.
Berge-157
Beard-197
Kerkmanastan hwt
Throw the hail mary.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT