ADVERTISEMENT

There’s a chance

And Flo read about it the day before on BWI or HR.

This is what they wrote on Flo: "That would seem to solidify the Nittany Lions lineup; however, there has been speculation that Greg Kerkvliet could get the nod at heavyweight."

They're not reporting that Kerkvliet could get the job. They're reporting that people are chattering about the possibility. Definitely not the same thing.

That's what I do when I write articles.

Well, I suppose I also just make some
things up.

Just heard from a pretty good source (that’s all you’re getting): Kerk will be our postseason rep.
That's alll we need. Party time!
giphy.gif

If it’s true (yes, I’m hedging my bets in case a detail like “pending NCAA approval” was missed), I do feel for Seth. Hope he finds a path to his goals. Hope selfishly that’s Lock Haven or something so he can still train here if he wants to.

If it’s true (yes, I’m hedging my bets in case a detail like “pending NCAA approval” was missed), I do feel for Seth. Hope he finds a path to his goals. Hope selfishly that’s Lock Haven or something so he can still train here if he wants to.

I know this sounds crazy, but it seems like the Nevills' family bond with PSU Wrestling goes beyond whether or not they're in the starting lineup.

Between AJ transferring, Nick being supplanted in the lineup, and Seth having another high-level recruit brought in for competition, that family has plenty of reason (speaking only from the outside) to at least end the association with the school/program, if not hold a grudge. However, there is no indication that is the case. Seth came and Nick continues to wrestle as a member of NLWC and regularly attend dual meets.

I know this sounds crazy, but it seems like the Nevills' family bond with PSU Wrestling goes beyond whether or not they're in the starting lineup.

Between AJ transferring, Nick being supplanted in the lineup, and Seth having another high-level recruit brought in for competition, that family has plenty of reason (speaking only from the outside) to at least end the association with the school/program, if not hold a grudge. However, there is no indication that is the case. Seth came and Nick continues to wrestle as a member of NLWC and regularly attend dual meets.
No doubt some disappointed for the Nevills family the last few years. Reality is at least with Nick is that he was not recruited over, a teammate moved up a weight class and beat him and won NCAA's.

With Seth, for all we know Kerk initially walked on at PSU, could not have been much scholarship money available when the decision was made to transfer to PSU. In that case, how can Cael say no.

At least in wrestling, best man wins.

Reactions: diggerpup
No doubt some disappointed for the Nevills family the last few years. Reality is at least with Nick is that he was not recruited over, a teammate moved up a weight class and beat him and won NCAA's.

With Seth, for all we know Kerk initially walked on at PSU, could not have been much scholarship money available when the decision was made to transfer to PSU. In that case, how can Cael say no.

To be clear: I don't think they've been treated unfairly. But that doesn't mean people wouldn't still hold a grudge based on the circumstances. I probably would.

We know there will be a certain segment of college wrestling fans that will be more than happy to (or already do) feel aggrieved on behalf of the Nevills family. I'm sure that means a lot to the Nevills.

Reactions: diggerpup

Also, even though it’s in reverse order now. We all expected a battle next year for the starting spot with whoever loses out having to use a year of eligibility. If kerk wrestles this season, Nick will have to option to compete next year and possibly use his redshirt if he isn’t the starter, giving him another year in the room and to decide his future.

One of the many things to learn from the career of Mr. Anthony Cassar is that you do not need to be a 4 year starter to become a legend. Assuming Kerkvliet does not ever take a redshirt and is the starter at PSU for all 4 years, Nevills can still redshirt and have eligibility remaining for the 2023-2024 season. Given the potential for injury and the circuitous route that brought Kerkvliet to PSU, it seems more than possible that Nevills will be a starter at some other point as well.

I'd imagine his goal is not necessarily to be a 4 year starter but to be a national champ or something along those lines. If so, there's no place better to reach that goal than in the PSU room. Even if he only gets his senior season to try to accomplish it.

It reminded me of his quote about having to take a redshirt year because Cassar was coming back.

"Cael just sat me down and told me the situation and just said I had to look at it like it was another year to train," Nevills said. "And looking at another year to train would just be awesome and how much you can grow in a year here is phenomenal. It didn't really change too much because when you put it like that, why wouldn't you be okay with it?"

https://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports/wrestling/article_78abadc6-4932-11ea-a622-a3a9528ee437.html

One thing I'm seeing (because of course) is Cael wasted a year of Seth's eligibility to "save a few duals" I even said before that this waiver doesn't seem like Cael's MO (he would have wrestled one of Jarod/Brady against tOSO in 2018) then. Obviously there's smoke to this Kerkvliet waiver.

That being said, do people ever consider that maybe Cael talked to Seth and said he would like to wrestle him as if he were the starter but fully disclosed if Kerkvliet becomes eligible that there will be a wrestleoff and Seth said I'm in, wrestle me? If Kerk does get eligible, I REALLY doubt it'll take Seth by surprise.

I was just rewatching the Kerk's 3rd place match from the U23 Championships.

Is there any explanation for what happened at the end? Just a regular old retro-active caution to decide the match after time expired?

It isn't always about the money. Two of my kids had full rides to multiple schools. In the end, they wanted to go to Penn State. There was no money at PSU, except for what came out of my bank account. But I wouldn't change a thing. I guess they were groomed after all.:rolleyes:
I would think not getting on the mat would hurt more. But Seth hasn't done what he has done without being a competitor. He probably has more fight in him.
Long story short, maybe the Nevills have just become true Penn Staters. We write checks. It's what we do!

Did you consider Taylor a gun for hire? The situations are pretty similar to my view.
Did Taylor not wrestle a match in a PSU singlet until post season? That is the angle I am viewing it. He did wrestle unattached under the PSU program. Just seems odd but hey, looking forward in seeing how he fairs.

It isn't always about the money. Two of my kids had full rides to multiple schools. In the end, they wanted to go to Penn State. There was no money at PSU, except for what came out of my bank account. But I wouldn't change a thing. I guess they were groomed after all.:rolleyes:
I would think not getting on the mat would hurt more. But Seth hasn't done what he has done without being a competitor. He probably has more fight in him.
Long story short, maybe the Nevills have just become true Penn Staters. We write checks. It's what we do!
According to HR this does not happen.

Seems odd, I agree. I do believe he is better than Nevills but it is a tough position to put both young men in. He likely will be seeded at 14 and wrestle Cassioppi in the first round at Big Ten's. Since the Big Ten's will likely qualify 7 for Nationals he may need to wrestle back through consolations, or serve notice right away that the National Championship is still going through Penn State.

Reactions: ccdiver
Did Taylor not wrestle a match in a PSU singlet until post season? That is the angle I am viewing it. He did wrestle unattached under the PSU program. Just seems odd but hey looking forward in seeing how he fairs.

I'd say, in general, it isn't great.

But assuming all the rumors are true here, the reason he didn't wrestle until the post-season is because of NCAA/B1G/administrative bureaucracy. I don't think Cael would be intentionally holding him out of a competition he was elligible to compete in just to "debut" him in March.

I'd say, in general, it isn't great.

But assuming all the rumors are true here, the reason he didn't wrestle until the post-season is because of NCAA/B1G/administrative bureaucracy. I don't think Cael would be intentionally holding him out of a competition he was elligible to compete in just to "debut" him in March.
That is a good point.

Seems odd, I agree. I do believe he is better than Nevills but it is a tough position to put both young men in. He likely will be seeded at 14 and wrestle Cassioppi in the first round at Big Ten's. Since the Big Ten's will likely qualify 7 for Nationals he may need to wrestle back through consolations, or serve notice right away that the National Championship is still going through Penn State.

Cassioppi to Lance seems like a pretty doable 1st and 2nd round matchup for Verk. Cass has shown that more athletic heavys can give him fits.

Kerk* Jarod's ears must be ringing though. Haha.

He is 9-0, and the kid from Maryland is 1-21 so he may be ahead of him.

Reactions: Dogwelder
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT